New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

Korra coming to terms with her self-importance looks like it's going to be a major arc of the show, and the idea that Equalists have something of a point could easily figure into that.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Troll in the Playground

why do i get the impression that this series is going to end with them finding a way to give everyone bending?
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    why do i get the impression that this series is going to end with them finding a way to give everyone bending?
    Either Everybody gets Bending, Everybody gets Avatar-Style Bending (Korra must overcome her ego by removing the thing that makes her special), or they end up agreeing with Amon and everybody loses Bending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #874
    Colossus in the Playground

I wonder...when the Guru said that "people bent the energy within themselves", did he mean just benders, or all people? If the separation of the nations is breaking down locally in the Republic, and normals like Amon can gain access to energybending...
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-04-25 at 04:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #875
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I wonder...when the Guru said that "people bent the energy within themselves", did he mean just benders, or all people? If the separation of the nations is breaking down locally in the Republic, and normals like Amon can gain access to energybending...
    All people. Energy bending is just a name. It is not the same as bending the four elements.

And as for chi blocking being only applicable against benders. Uhm... wha? We've seen it used against non benders. And it is every bit as effective. It's a self defense technique nothing more. That doesn't mean the people learning it weren't actively involved with a hostile force.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

here is a question for you that the equalists and benders aren't asking... Is it possible for bending to be BESTOWED upon a person the same way?
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #877
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    here is a question for you that the equalists and benders aren't asking... Is it possible for bending to be BESTOWED upon a person the same way?
    I always assumed as much, although there's no canon confirmation of it.

obviously, It could only bestow the potential for bending, not immediately teach you the ability to do all the motions.
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Blights are halted by the heroic, self-sacrificial actions of a couple of dudes. Throwing them into a land containing the ur-example of the modern pulp fantasy warrior is rather like tossing a sponge in the Pacific and wondering if it'll get wet.

8. - Top - End - #878

Before Legend of Korra was announced, I just assumed Aang took his newly learned energybending (or, as I've always called it, spiritbending) and used it to give the folks living in the northern air temple airbending.

If you can do something, it makes sense that you can undo it as well. Doctors have to train for years to learn to heal, for example, and would probably be very good at using that knowledge to harm, if they wanted to.

So, yes, my assumption is that it is possible, it just hasn't occurred to any of the main characters that finding that path might be the best course of action.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    You're wandering off topic.

I'm saying that chi blocking as a subset of martial arts should be regulated or monitored due to its specific targeting against benders and hence the law enforcement officers.
    I'm arguing that this is insufficient justification. That a portion (and might we add that if its not a portion that itself is a problem) of law enforcement will have less of an advantage is not sufficient to justify a mere skill being banned.

Hang on, are you saying that chi blocking is not a threat to benders? Did you watch the third episode, where one of Amon's men disabled the Avatar, the supposed pinnacle of the bending art, in a pretty much fair fight?
    No. Its more of a threat then an otherwise unarmed fighter would be but it merely closes a gap. Same as say a sword or spear would help, but you are still at a disadvantage against someone who can stike from well beyond melee range.

Its a blatant hypocrisy to suggest that chi-blocking is somehow too dangerous while bending goes unlicensed and unregistered.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

that's pretty much what the lion-turtle does with Aang, so I'd say yes.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    All people. Energy bending is just a name. It is not the same as bending the four elements.

And as for chi blocking being only applicable against benders. Uhm... wha? We've seen it used against non benders. And it is every bit as effective.
    yes... except that the evolution thereoff, perma-chi-blocking seems to remove the bending and not the mobility of the victim.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

12. - Top - End - #882
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    yes... except that the evolution thereoff, perma-chi-blocking seems to remove the bending and not the mobility of the victim.
    But the perma-chi blocking is unique to Amon as far as we've seen. His minions use regular chi blocking, which seems to work the same as it used to.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Er, that was the lion turtle, not the guru.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    But the perma-chi blocking is unique to Amon as far as we've seen. His minions use regular chi blocking, which seems to work the same as it used to.
    Remember we don't know if Amon is chi-blocking, its currently an interesting theory with some interesting evidence but it is still equal with him having discovered energybending somehow.

Both call for an expansion of our current understanding.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Er, that was the lion turtle, not the guru.
    The guru was the lion turtle shapeshifted using energybending and you can't prove otherwise. >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

I always thought the lion turtle sort of imprinted the information psychically, rather than actually energybending Aang...
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Either Everybody gets Bending, Everybody gets Avatar-Style Bending (Korra must overcome her ego by removing the thing that makes her special), or they end up agreeing with Amon and everybody loses Bending.
    Or the balance is put back between the benders and non-benders and all is gumdrops and Ice cream between everyone.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

18. - Top - End - #888
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

This is me commenting on the debate in general, as I haven't seen the episodes yet, so feel free to completely discount what I say.

If there is poverty and unhappiness, and there are benders with better lives, it doesn't necessarily mean the benders are at fault.

Without touching on too sensitive of an issue, I'd like to point out that this seems akin to the reasoning behind the Holocaust- Except for the Jewish didn't necessarily have better lives (Although benders probably do have better lives in most cases).

Essentially, if there is a group of people who are different in some way, it becomes easier to blame them.

Although I'm sure Amon has personal issues with benders, along with some other people (But then, I'm sure they also have problems with non-benders-- the benders just stand out more).

Thats my 2 cents.

19. - Top - End - #889

I always thought the lion turtle sort of imprinted the information psychically, rather than actually energybending Aang...
    Possible, I suppose, but since Aang used exactly the same contact points on Ozai that the Lion Turtle had used on him, I'd tend to suspect they were using much the same technique.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Or the balance is put back between the benders and non-benders and all is gumdrops and Ice cream between everyone.
    While the social issues involved with establishing equality in a world with inbuilt inequality (Benders are simply more capable than non-benders at many tasks) are fascinating, I think they may be outside the scope of the show.
    Book 1: Air, Korra must master Airbending, come to grips with her duty as the Avatar, and defeat Amon.
    Book 2: Sociology: Korra must now tackle the underlying issues that led to Amon's Rise. Combat and pro-bending matches are replaced with lengthy philosophical debates on the role of government in society and the nature of Inequality. In a climactic season finale, Korra presents the City Council with a series of social and economic initiatives designed to ensure equal rights and opportunities to non-benders. By dubbing them the "Wang Fire Plan" she makes it politically unwise to vote against it. A lengthy filibusterer is stopped when she punches somebody in the face.
    Book 3: Korra goes off in search of Space Sword and Boomerang.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-04-25 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, the only "oppression by benders" so far I've seen (not counting Benders in Organized crime) is that benders tend to have better jobs. And that's not even due to the system; it's due to basic logic. I mean, say you want to order a hundred bricks from somebody, for whatever reason. Do you go to the non-bending stonecutter, who will take a few days to get the hundred out, or to and earthbender, who can make thousands of bricks out of boulders in the same amount of time?

Your pipes broken? Get a metalbender to patch it up (admittedly, they're probably too busy being cops)

And speaking of the cops: Why spend time making weapons for your police force when you can have a force with their weapons built in?

How many jobs are there where a bender of some sort wouldn't be orders of magnitude more efficient than non-benders? They're few and far between.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2012-04-25 at 08:39 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Honestly, the only "oppression by benders" so far I've seen (not counting Benders in Organized crime) is that benders tend to have better jobs. And that's not even due to the system; it's due to basic logic. I mean, say you want to order a hundred bricks from somebody, for whatever reason. Do you go to the non-bending stonecutter, who will take a few days to get the hundred out, or to and earthbender, who can make thousands of bricks out of boulders in the same amount of time?

Your pipes broken? Get a metalbender to patch it up (admittedly, they're probably too busy being cops)

And speaking of the cops: Why spend time making weapons for your police force when you can have a force with their weapons built in?

How many jobs are there where a bender of some sort wouldn't be orders of magnitude more efficient than non-benders? They're few and far between.
    Exactly the problem the non-benders face every job they could do seems to be better done by a bender thus they are impoverished and feel oppressed cue a man who promises them jobs and an end to they're oppression and you have the equalists.

Its not about observing the social order logically, its about people being trapped on the bottom rung because they weren't born breathing fire, causing earthquakes or manipulating water.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Book 3: Korra goes off in search of Space Sword and Boomerang.
    God I would love it if this happened. But what should the book title be?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah we've been over by this. Oppression can be hyperbole depending on you value of it but it doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Its easy to say intellectually that benders are superior laborers, its another thing to be a non-bender living with it. Heck look at how much we've used 'non-bender' and not 'normal' just for a start.

Well ultimately technology promises to make bending a mere novelty. Demands of production (Satomobiles anyone?) should drive a demand that exceeds the supply of skilled benders. Which will create the methods to do without them.

The further up the tech tree the less meaningful benders become. Why hire a bender when any person can run a machine to make your product. Almost anything outside labor and bending is truly meaningless. Doesn't make you a better lawyer or banker.

This doesn't resolve the basic inequality though.

25. - Top - End - #895

Well, anything where bending itself isn't all that helpful. Intellectual-type work, for instance, although they could have an edge in fieldwork; just about anything culinary, unless you're using a poor oven or take a really long time to carry water by hand...

There is, of course, the question of pay-scales, which could well be oppressive against those jobs that don't use bending.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    God I would love it if this happened. But what should the book title be?
    Fan and sword!
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

27. - Top - End - #897
    Barbarian in the Playground

Honestly, the only "oppression by benders" so far I've seen (not counting Benders in Organized crime) is that benders tend to have better jobs. And that's not even due to the system; it's due to basic logic.

I disagree. So far the practical uses of bending seem to fall under the categories of military and menial labor - neither of which is upper class or in high demand (the military in the Fire Nation may have been once, but now we're in a time of peace and no longer a dictatorship). Furthermore, there have been non-bender nobles (the Earth King, the Beifongs), soldiers (Kyoshi Warriors, Freedom Fighters, Piandao), criminals/freelancers (the pirates, June), and at least one non-bender member of the White Lotus (Piandao again). And of course, with the exception of Katara, the Southern Water consisted entirely of non-benders. We have also seen prominent non-bender inventors like the Mechanist, and (apparently) the Cabbage Merchant. So while there is an inherent inequality in a world with benders and non-benders, the world is like that already and it doesn't seem to be particularly bad for the non-benders. Perhaps things are different in the bender melting pot of Republic City, but so far I haven't seen any evidence of that; indeed, all of Mako and Bolin's Pro-Bending money goes directly into the pockets of their manager, likely a non-bender.

On the other hand, I think that's what makes the Equalists so interesting. They seem to be a mix of people who feel genuinely oppressed - unskilled laborers who blame their troubles on benders who take up all the unskilled labor, which may be true - and manipulators like Amon.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Well, anything where bending itself isn't all that helpful. Intellectual-type work, for instance, although they could have an edge in fieldwork; just about anything culinary, unless you're using a poor oven or take a really long time to carry water by hand...
    I disagree on the culinary part. A firebender could control the temperature of the oven/stove/skillet with his mind. Hell, if Zuko increasing the temperature of his hands to melt ice is any indication, a firebender has the capacity to be the stove.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

I disagree on the culinary part. A firebender could control the temperature of the oven/stove/skillet with his mind. Hell, if Zuko increasing the temperature of his hands to melt ice is any indication, a firebender has the capacity to be the stove.
    Brings new meaning to "handmade food" but...
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #900
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Fan and sword!
    In keeping with the one word titles, how about Relics?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.