New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The legend of Korra

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Also thats a single specific ability to pacify a certain type of bender. A Metal bender could pacify most common benders by trapping them in a metal cocoon, and is much more likely to do so then a guy that has to get into melee, avoiding either the huge bouts of water, the lethal streams of fire, and walls of stone.

Only masters of the arts of dodging and stuff would be able to get close to a decent bender.
    Chi-blockers could just make your legs go numb, of course, whether you're a bender or not, but the point still stands that long-range immobilization is better than close-range.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Except Amon's faceless mook army of chi-benders have absolutely no problems with what you seem to have a conceptual problem with. Against pro-benders, avatars, and bender police.

Again, this is the Avatar-verse. A world of martial arts feats. This is not the world where only Superman is super. What you think is unfeasible and difficult is not, even for a non-bender.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Except Amon's faceless mook army of chi-benders have absolutely no problems with what you seem to have a conceptual problem with. Against pro-benders, avatars, and bender police.

Again, this is the Avatar-verse. A world of martial arts feats. This is not the world where only Superman is super. What you think is unfeasible and difficult is not, even for a non-bender.
    I'm not saying that it's impossible. In saying that it isn't codt-effective, that there's simply a lot more you'd have to teach to get a chi-blocker police force.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post

When the chi blockers do not have the element of surprise and/or advanced technology they get taken down fairly easily on the show when they throw down with experienced benders (not counting Amon and Ty lee).
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

In the beginning of the series, chi-blockers completely dominated Korra and Mako in a fight. Later on they were reduced to easily beaten mooks... for some reason. I have no idea why, since Equalists with shock gloves would have made perfect footsoldiers without having the chi-blockers suddenly become a lot less competent. Not to mention the sheer absurdity of putting chi-blockers inside Sato's mecha-tanks.
    A chi-blocking police force would have made perfect sense because there's more non-benders than there are benders, and certainly there's more capable non-benders than there are earthbenders willing and able to metalbend. And it would have made Amon's arguments less valid if there was a non-bending police force taking down dangerous benders.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    In the beginning of the series, chi-blockers completely dominated Korra and Mako in a fight. Later on they were reduced to easily beaten mooks... for some reason. I have no idea why, since Equalists with shock gloves would have made perfect footsoldiers without having the chi-blockers suddenly become a lot less competent. Not to mention the sheer absurdity of putting chi-blockers inside Sato's mecha-tanks.
    Those may have been Mecha-tank drivers wearing Chi-Blocker uniforms (Although having a uniformed Rebel Group is kind of silly on it's own, but Equalists seem to have no difficulty with logistics, and it makes character design easier).

As soon as I saw the Shock Gloves, I assumed that Shock-Glovers were going to become the mooks, while Chi-Blockers would be the elite Equalist troops. Instead, all Chi-Blockers all the time forever.
    Last edited by BRC; 2013-02-13 at 10:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Those may have been Mecha-tank drivers wearing Chi-Blocker uniforms (Although having a uniformed Rebel Group is kind of silly on it's own, but Equalists seem to have no difficulty with logistics, and it makes character design easier).
    That's possible, but we saw no Equalist soldiers who weren't chi-blockers outside of the mecha-tanks, so I'm not sure if we can safely assume that.

As soon as I saw the Shock Gloves, I assumed that Shock-Glovers were going to become the mooks, while Chi-Blockers would be the elite Equalist troops. Instead, all Chi-Blockers all the time forever.
    So did I. I was rather unpleasantly surprised when we never saw a shock-glove ever again... except when used by Asami. And chi-blockers were reduced to bumbling fools.
    Last edited by Morty; 2013-02-13 at 12:27 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

Exclamation Re: The legend of Korra

Bender opression? That's some bull right there.

I see comments about how the entire Republic City council was composed of benders. Was it really? Or, rather, was it composed of representatives of the five nations in the Avatar world (counting the two Water Tribes)? Do we have any evidence that the other three members (for the Fire Nation, the Southern Water Tribe and the Earth Kingdom) were benders?

Spoiler
    Show

Considering the SWT representative's age, and seeing how Katara was the only water bender left there during the first series, I'd assume that he's most likely not a water bender, for instance. And, since all Air Nomads are airbenders by definition, it's hardly surprising that Tenzin is a bender. Also, we know that Sokka was also a member of the council at some point.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2013-03-09 at 05:40 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    I see comments about how the entire Republic City council was composed of benders. Was it really? Or, rather, was it composed of representatives of the five nations in the Avatar world (counting the two Water Tribes)? Do we have any evidence that the other three members (for the Fire Nation, the Southern Water Tribe and the Earth Kingdom) were benders?
    The Avatar wiki claims that the Nickolodean game "Welcome To Republic City" confirmed that all five council members are currently benders. Dunno if that is accurate.

At least three of the five, are, but it's kind of hard to prove a negative, so one or both of the other two may not be. The Southern Water Tribe guy looks to be in his early sixties, so he could easily be a bender born five to fifteen years after the events of The Last Airbender.
    Last edited by Friv; 2013-03-09 at 10:23 AM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Also, we know that Sokka was also a member of the council at some point.
    I think it is very possible that while Aang initially set things up to be as fair as he could, over time they drifted away from his vision. Korra is what, 16? A lot can change in 16 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

4 of the five, we see the fire nation council member get kidnapped don't we?
    Last edited by Fjolnir; 2013-03-10 at 02:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

We still don't know if the Southern Water Tribe and the Earth Kingdom guys are benders or not. It's possible that they all are benders, but it seems to go against what Aang had planned.
    Maybe they all got their position through merit (except probably Tarrlok, of course) so no one cared they ended up with a majority of benders?
    : I may be in error, but I believe the appropiate proclamation is "Sneak Attack, bitch."

Thoughts on fanfiction.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    At least three of the five, are, but it's kind of hard to prove a negative, so one or both of the other two may not be. The Southern Water Tribe guy looks to be in his early sixties, so he could easily be a bender born five to fifteen years after the events of The Last Airbender.
    He could also have been born in the Northern Water Tribe. Was there not some noise made about "rebuilding our sister tribe" in the Water finale or Earth premiere?