New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dangers of City Living

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    1) Wielding a weapon, ANY weapon capable of breaking a skull or decapitating a head with enough force to do that is tiring. Even if you have the ability to do it without getting bit, you will get tired fast.

2) What Mae said

3) They have no ranged ability, so why would you WANT to get in reach of their only weapon?
    I've chopped wood for an entire day before and it's doable if a pain. But ideally you'd be moving carefully and not encountering whole hordes, just a few at a time at most. Anyway, how do I find a ranged weapon if I don't go outside? The closest to a ranged weapon I have here is my flatmate—I send him outside to fight for me.
    Jude P.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if this applies in other country's, but,

Citys have people, supplies, and weapons, in abundance. I like my odds grouping up with other armed people who have access to food, shelter, communications supplies, transportation and other helpful things facing down a hoard better then I do trying to solo it.
    "I Burn!"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I've chopped wood for an entire day before and it's doable if a pain. But ideally you'd be moving carefully and not encountering whole hordes, just a few at a time at most. Anyway, how do I find a ranged weapon if I don't go outside? The closest to a ranged weapon I have here is my flatmate—I send him outside to fight for me.
    To get guns and ammo, all I can say is first you need speed

Get a bike, a good old fashioned mountain bike or whatever. Plan out your route and at least 3 detours just in case. You cant afford to stop and think while making the sprint to the nearest gun and ammo shop. Shamblers are easy to avoid, assuming they havent formed the city sized mob yet. Sprinters are going to be rough, but on a bike you can outpace them, and if you are lucky and careful, you can avoid them.

As for swinging an axe all day, yes, standing still, making the same motion, chopping wood, you can do it just fine. But I dont think even a mighty lumberjack like you would be able to maintain a frantic pace for very long cleaving skulls. Dont forget the danger of missing. If you dont strike square on the skull, you might just glance off and now he is in your personal space.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #64

As for swinging an axe all day, yes, standing still, making the same motion, chopping wood, you can do it just fine. But I dont think even a mighty lumberjack like you would be able to maintain a frantic pace for very long cleaving skulls. Dont forget the danger of missing. If you dont strike square on the skull, you might just glance off and now he is in your personal space.
    I've also been in faux combat and there're usually breaks in between skirmishes. The world won't be covered in a uniformly distributed sheet of zombies.
    Jude P.

5. - Top - End - #65

I've also been in faux combat and there're usually breaks in between skirmishes. The world won't be covered in a uniformly distributed sheet of zombies.
    True, but in this case, unless you already have friends, every enemy combatant in the area will come directly after you until they eat you or you run out of people to kill. And while against humans a wound can work for breathing space, no such luck here. It had better be one hit, one kill, or you will get swarmed under. So your aim had better be perfect every time, or you are going to die. As the saying goes, you have to be lucky every time, they only have to be lucky once. A glancing blow, an arm gets in the way enough to keep it from smashing the skull, hell, your axe gets hung up for a second or two too long in a zombie skull. There are a lot of ways to die trying to fight in hand to hand.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

True, but in this case, unless you already have friends, every enemy combatant in the area will come directly after you until they eat you or you run out of people to kill. And while against humans a wound can work for breathing space, no such luck here. It had better be one hit, one kill, or you will get swarmed under. So your aim had better be perfect every time, or you are going to die. As the saying goes, you have to be lucky every time, they only have to be lucky once. A glancing blow, an arm gets in the way enough to keep it from smashing the skull, hell, your axe gets hung up for a second or two too long in a zombie skull. There are a lot of ways to die trying to fight in hand to hand.
    If they're coming at you that fast, you're screwed even if you're packing serious heat. Unless you live at the gun range, you aren't going to be putting bullets between zombie eyes with every shot. And you'd better hope you brought enough filled magazines, because have fun reloading if you run out.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Not quite, a strike with blunt force trauma to certain parts of the body will by necessity of the laws of kinetic energy force a zombie to stop it's forward advancement/stumble back some.

For example, kick him in the pelvic girdle and he'll be forced back a couple of steps. Take a step back or two yourself, and boom, room to breath, take aim and swing again at the head.
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #68

Main worry with fighting zombies is that there are basically no firearms in australia. So melee weapons and running are the only options if zombies arise.

Add that with the fact that if your within range of a zombie horde your probably going to be dead rather quickly and your screwed.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

From the title of htis thread I presumed it was going to be about muggings or similar crimes. Now I'm left feeling silly
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

10. - Top - End - #70

If there are that many zombies then I'm screwed no matter what and I'm not going to be outside anyway. Assuming zombies have to rely on human senses, unaffected by decay (give them the best scenario), your best bet is stealth, and you shouldn't run into literal hordes of zombies.
    Jude P.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I've been thinking about how I'd look after my chickens during the zombie apocalypse, because that's just how my brain works. First I'd have to successfully argue with the other survivors that an animal that makes eggs and high-quality garden manure every day is more valuable alive than dead. Then I think I'd have to feed them on grass, weeds, slugs and snails (with the snail shells for the calcium).

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Juggling Goth View Post
    I've been thinking about how I'd look after my chickens during the zombie apocalypse, because that's just how my brain works. First I'd have to successfully argue with the other survivors that an animal that makes eggs and high-quality garden manure every day is more valuable alive than dead. Then I think I'd have to feed them on grass, weeds, slugs and snails (with the snail shells for the calcium).
    What about the pest bugs from the garden? You're going to need some way to keep them out without pesticides. Keeps the plants free of pests and the chickens fed.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Main worry with fighting zombies is that there are basically no firearms in australia. So melee weapons and running are the only options if zombies arise.

Add that with the fact that if your within range of a zombie horde your probably going to be dead rather quickly and your screwed.
    Bah, its AUSTRALIA. The zombies would be wiped out the moment they start heading north.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

Even worse: Zombie germs. In the air you can breathe in. Can't see them. Can't kill them. All you can do is wait. And hope. And then die.
    The statement below is true
    The statement above is false

Thanks to Grinner Cuthalion for the avatar!

Want to play a birdie in 4e? Come check it out!

15. - Top - End - #75

There are precisely two reasons why I'm not looking forward to a Zombie outbreak scenario. I'm not worried about it, but I'm not looking forward to it. Here's why:

1-In a city, stores are going to be ransacked immediately for supplies. Now I like to think I have a good stockpile, but you never no how poorly prepared you are until something bad happens. However, there is one trick I will share with everyone.
    The place that is most likely to still have food and the least likely to be ransacked thoroughly is... The Pet Store.
    No seriously. Pet food is non-perishable (in cans or dry feed), if you look at the ingredients it has a lot of what you need. You wouldn't want to be on it long term, but in a pinch it is still better than starving to death, and probably better for you than beans and beef jerky.
    Still, I'm not exactly looking forward to having my supplies run out and stopping to consider investigating the local pet store. That is definitely not something I would want to do.

2-Shooting zombies or people. I don't like hurting people. I'm sure I wouldn't want to hurt a bunch of zombies unless it was life or death. I'm still going to fight to survive, I just doubt that it's going to be something fun. Sure, maybe that one time I pick up a machine gun and mow down a pack of walkers will feel incredible, but I know I'll feel bad about it later.
    And real people? Well, I want to shoot them even less. Honestly, in a zombie outbreak, I'm more afraid of running into real people and having to deal with the possibility of shooting someone, because they will shoot me for that can of beans that MIGHT be in my backpack. Sure, I'm willing to share, I'm willing to talk to people to solve problems. I'm reasonable. Disasters do things to people, make them unreasonable, make them unable to solve problems by talking things out. Some feel justified in shooting first and asking questions later.

So for those reason, my plan A is get out of town and head to places I know which are remote. If you live near a ski hill I recommend it, as very few people will think to go there. Logging roads are a good choice as well if you have the kind of vehicle that can handle it.
    Plan B is stay in town, find a place that is high and quiet, but have a white flag raised high and clear.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not worried about a zombie outbreak, because if it happens, I'm going to find myself woefully unprepared no matter what. And, if I do become infected, I don't think I'm going to care that much.
    There is no such thing as a bad plan. Only brilliant plans that go horribly wrong.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Just wait 'til the second day, and then feed them brains.

18. - Top - End - #78

Bah, its AUSTRALIA. The zombies would be wiped out the moment they start heading north.
    The greatest weapon of Australia is that everything from a snake to grass to some rocks are poisonous, pretty zombies don't care about poison.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

19. - Top - End - #79

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeki View Post
    Even worse: Zombie germs. In the air you can breathe in. Can't see them. Can't kill them. All you can do is wait. And hope. And then die.
    If it's airborne and virulent for any real length of time greater than any other disease then it's just rocks fall, everyone dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

I'd be more worried about Paranoid Maxine with her AR-15 variant than a typical shambler...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

One thing I'd be interested in trying in a zombie attack is suiting up in full plate or similar full-body armor and going out with a decent-ish weapon to whack at them. That'd remove nearly all the risk of zombies, since without specialized weapons, absurdly superhuman strength, or a good bit of manual dexterity and smarts, there's essentially no way you can kill someone in full plate. Of course, it might be pretty claustrophobic if you get surrounded for a while, and it's possible the effort of moving and whacking would tire you out something fierce. Still, an interesting idea.

Bonus if you use some sort of high-impact plastic for the helmet's faceplate, removing the "stick through the bars" tactic from workability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    One thing I'd be interested in trying in a zombie attack is suiting up in full plate or similar full-body armor and going out with a decent-ish weapon to whack at them. That'd remove nearly all the risk of zombies, since without specialized weapons, absurdly superhuman strength, or a good bit of manual dexterity and smarts, there's essentially no way you can kill someone in full plate. Of course, it might be pretty claustrophobic if you get surrounded for a while, and it's possible the effort of moving and whacking would tire you out something fierce. Still, an interesting idea.

Bonus if you use some sort of high-impact plastic for the helmet's faceplate, removing the "stick through the bars" tactic from workability.
    The problem with this is stamina loss and being immobilized. While it would work fine on small groups, against large numbers you would be dog piled eventually. And trying to run around in 60 pounds of articulated steel or whatever would tire you out faster, making it harder to dodge or otherwise avoid incoming zombies. And once flat on your back under a pile of undead, eventually something is going to give way.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

The problem with this is stamina loss and being immobilized. While it would work fine on small groups, against large numbers you would be dog piled eventually. And trying to run around in 60 pounds of articulated steel or whatever would tire you out faster, making it harder to dodge or otherwise avoid incoming zombies. And once flat on your back under a pile of undead, eventually something is going to give way.
    Yeah, it works best if you have a good means of retreat. There's no way you can tank all the zombies ever, but you can certainly give a good accounting.

Now, an actual tank would be still better, since as long as you have fuel you can get stuff done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Now, an actual tank would be still better, since as long as you have fuel you can get stuff done.
    Tank Girl Vs Zombies. I need to see this. Anyone got Alan Martin's contact details?

I suspect that in real life, the problem with using a tank in a zombie-infested city is that all the roads would be blocked. Tanks are big. Someone needs to invent the armoured bicycle.

25. - Top - End - #85

Tank Girl Vs Zombies. I need to see this. Anyone got Alan Martin's contact details?

I suspect that in real life, the problem with using a tank in a zombie-infested city is that all the roads would be blocked. Tanks are big. Someone needs to invent the armoured bicycle.
    So what we really need is a tank on Bigfoot wheels. Roads are blocked? Who cares?! We have tires bigger than entire vehicles with treads thicker than my arm. Go straight over them.

As for an armored bike, the problem with that is, the advantage of a bike is that its light quiet and fast. Add armor to it and its no longer any of those things.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I've always thought the best bet for survival would be going by boat. Most zombie incarnations don't seem to be able to swim. Unfortunately I don't live on the coast, but a deep river should at least help some.

Oh, and regarding plate armor or some such, it would be very tiring, and soon a zombie would get lucky and manage to get a piece loose. Then you die.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    I've always thought the best bet for survival would be going by boat. Most zombie incarnations don't seem to be able to swim. Unfortunately I don't live on the coast, but a deep river should at least help some.

Oh, and regarding plate armor or some such, it would be very tiring, and soon a zombie would get lucky and manage to get a piece loose. Then you die.
    Boats arent perfect. Zombies are human bodies, and human bodies are pretty buoyant. Not sure how long it would take them to get waterlogged and sink, but at least staying in water 10 feet deep or more could work. I dont think they would be especially effective while floating, and if you are 10 feet above the bottom of the water, they cant reach up and grab you or your boat. Biggest issue might be floaters caught in a current going past you and latching onto your ride. Or reaching a section of river/lake bottom shallow enough for them to grab you.

28. - Top - End - #88

Rail is a pretty decent method of travel when it comes to zombies. Crushes just about anything in it's path, even the odd car that ends up on the tracks. The cars are pretty sturdy, and easily barricaded at the entrances. Windows are easily boarded up or barred or barricaded as well.
    Also, the tracks are not necessarily all going to run through populated areas, some railway lines completely dodge whole towns. So you have very long distances which will likely be zombie free.

Threats:
    -Barricade or rock slide on the tracks. Ranging from a multi-car pile-up at a train intersection, to an intentional barricade set by humans, to railcars just left on the tracks and abandoned. Clearing said obstacles will make you and the train vulnerable. Some such obstacles might not be removeable, so now you're stuck out in the middle of no where, forced to proceed on foot.
    -Train cars are pretty noisy. You might attract trouble. Now sure, that trouble might never catch you, or you might plow right over/through it.
    -Rail yards are often inside major city centers. And chances are high you will have to change tracks or adjust in some manner when you get there.
    -Stopping inside a tunnel is NOT an option. Ever. It just isn't. If you do, you're probably dead.

More Good News:
    -Most railway lines terminate at seaport shipping yards. Which means you could potentially go from rail to boat in relatively short order.
    -Rail cars can carry large amounts of supplies. Including whole cars, even a boat.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Rail is a pretty decent method of travel when it comes to zombies. Crushes just about anything in it's path, even the odd car that ends up on the tracks. The cars are pretty sturdy, and easily barricaded at the entrances. Windows are easily boarded up or barred or barricaded as well.
    Also, the tracks are not necessarily all going to run through populated areas, some railway lines completely dodge whole towns. So you have very long distances which will likely be zombie free.

Threats:
    -Barricade or rock slide on the tracks. Ranging from a multi-car pile-up at a train intersection, to an intentional barricade set by humans, to railcars just left on the tracks and abandoned. Clearing said obstacles will make you and the train vulnerable. Some such obstacles might not be removeable, so now you're stuck out in the middle of no where, forced to proceed on foot.
    -Train cars are pretty noisy. You might attract trouble. Now sure, that trouble might never catch you, or you might plow right over/through it.
    -Rail yards are often inside major city centers. And chances are high you will have to change tracks or adjust in some manner when you get there.
    -Stopping inside a tunnel is NOT an option. Ever. It just isn't. If you do, you're probably dead.

More Good News:
    -Most railway lines terminate at seaport shipping yards. Which means you could potentially go from rail to boat in relatively short order.
    -Rail cars can carry large amounts of supplies. Including whole cars, even a boat.
    More bad news: Most trains these days are powered by electricity.
    Jude P.

30. - Top - End - #90

More bad news: Most trains these days are powered by electricity.
    Inside a city? Yes. Inbetween cities? I thought those were mostly diesel now.