New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition - Burnt Offerings

Gilraen's scowl only deepens as he comes to realize how the pool manifests its power. "Do you all remember what the imp did when we first approached this vile altar? It seems that when she let her own blood into the pool, it called forth one of those monsters... If... If I am correct, we should be able to use the same method to draw power from the well. I believe, every time it spawns a creature, it draws from some power source. Doing this enough times... should drain the source."

He looks around his gathered companions, some hurt more than others. "I can provide some healing, and then we can surround the pool- ready to ambush the creature as it spawns. Are any of you opposed to such a plan?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I've presented Gilraen as hesitant, because this kind of stuff isn't exactly his primary focus. The knowledge is accurate, to the best of his ability to determine.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsend View Post
    On the quasit, you notice her tiny dagger has a faint glow to it, and it looks to be made of a strange material. Wrapped around the handle and guard are extra strips of cloth. On the walls you notice something written in Thassilonian. "Fear the Lady of Anger, serve her only and take your oaths in her name. Do not follow the other lords of the peoples around you; for the Lady of Anger, who is among you, is a wrathful Lord and her anger will burn against you, and she will destroy you from the face of the land." And another one: "No one can withstand her indignation! No one can resist her fierce anger! Her wrath is poured out like volcanic fire, boulders are broken up as she approaches."
    "...boulders are broken up... as she approaches." Rax finishes translating the Thassilonian runes out loud. "That thing looked pretty angry, but I don't know about breaking any boulders-" he gestures at the quasit. "must have just been a servant. Well now, what's this?" Stooping, he retrieves the tiny dagger and passes it to Sminerano for inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "If... If I am correct, we should be able to use the same method to draw power from the well. I believe, every time it spawns a creature, it draws from some power source. Doing this enough times... should drain the source."

He looks around his gathered companions, some hurt more than others. "I can provide some healing, and then we can surround the pool- ready to ambush the creature as it spawns. Are any of you opposed to such a plan?"
    "Wait, we've gotta slice ourselves up, and then fight more of those things?" Rax shakes his head and kicks at the stone supporting the alter with his boot, then winces as it sends spasms of pain through his wounds. "Ugh, fine. Anything to shut this place down for good and get us out of here! Now where's that wand?" After receiving healing, Rax takes a position across the pool from the others, assuming a ready stance with his rapier drawn.
    Spoiler: Healing
    Show
    As long as we have enough charges on the wand, Rax will use 3 CLWs or until 8 HP is healed, whichever comes first:
    (1d8+1)[2]
    (1d8+1)[6]
    (1d8+1)[7]
    So 2 charges used and 8HP healed, bring Rax up to 13/16 HP.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2016-05-14 at 07:28 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Well, I'm not opposed, provided of course that you don't expect me to participate in the fighting. I'm very nearly out of ammunition", Sminerano answers, tucking his last flask back into his pocket. "I guess I can try to distract the opposition with my dagger, but that's about it. And even for that, I will need some healing first." The blood on his shin has begun to dry, covering a very ugly wound.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2016-05-15 at 04:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Filibert's brows furrow in concerned thought. "Well... I would hate to walk away and leave this... whatever-it-is simmering down here for the next guy. But you guys have all had a rougher night than me, and Growler 'n' I don't have all this armor for nothing. Ain't that pixie got more blood in her? Might as well use that up first. One of you do it, run, and Growler 'n' me can be the welcoming party, eh?" The halfling gives an encouraging look to the rest of the party, all seemingly more banged-up than himself.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen nods at the responses from his allies. "It is decided, then." Turning to Sminerano, he gestures towards the now-still imp. "Filibert's idea is a good one. Would you attempt to draw one of those vile spawn with what remains of her lifeblood? There is no sense in hurting ourselves further, if we do not have to."

The lithe Elf draws his blade and stands across the pool from Filibert. He nods once, encouragingly, as he prepares to make a strike against the unsuspecting spawn.
    Spoiler: Gilraen, spawn ambush
    Show
    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    M CG Elf Oracle, Level 2, Init 5x2*, HP 13/15, Speed 20
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 18, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 3, Will 2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus +1
    MW Composite Longbow (+2 str) (30 arrows, 17 cold iron) +5 (1d8+3, x3 )
    Long Sword +3 (1d8+2, 19-20, x2)
    Steel Lamellar, Heavy Wooden (+6 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Condition Spells, 1st level: 3/5 remaining
    Martial Flexibility: 1/4
    MF: precise shot, 5 rounds remaining
    Divine Favor: +1 atk and defense, 7 rounds remaining
    Envoy Abilities: 1/1
    Called reroll: 0/1

(1d20+3)[4] atk (+1 BAB, +2 Str) If divine favor still applies, +1 more
    (1d20+3)[23] CC (22+, x2)
    (1d8+2)[9] dmg (+2 str) If divine favor still applies, +1 more
    (1d8+2)[5] crit bonus. If divine favor still applies, +1 more

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spoiler: Rax, spawn ambush
    Show
    I'll assume both flanking and the Loner drawback are in effect. Use Archaeologist's Luck (6/7) right before summoning the spawn:
    atk (1d20+7)[15] (+2 luck, +2 flank, -1 Loner), cc (1d20+7)[10] (18-20/x2)
    dmg (1d6+5)[7] (+2 luck), cdmg (1d6+5)[8]
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The first spawn is destroyed by the combined might of the group. The pool continues to bubble, but at a slower pace. The orange hue of the water becomes less opaque.

Spoiler: Gilraen
    Show
    The runewell is still operational.
    My Characters

Alaniel (Retired) Bob "O-Matic" Kern (Fallout) Hanzi Ivarisky (Giantslayer)

Games I'm running
    Runelords

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen nods in satisfaction as the summoned spawn is slaughtered. "See there! How the pool roils more gently? I think it is working, friends! Do it again, Sminerano!"

Spoiler: Gilraen, spawn ambush #2
    Show
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    M CG Elf Oracle, Level 2, Init 5x2*, HP 13/15, Speed 20
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 18, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 3, Will 2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus +1
    MW Composite Longbow (+2 str) (30 arrows, 17 cold iron) +5 (1d8+3, x3 )
    Long Sword +3 (1d8+2, 19-20, x2)
    Steel Lamellar, Heavy Wooden (+6 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Condition Spells, 1st level: 3/5 remaining
    Martial Flexibility: 1/4
    Envoy Abilities: 1/1
    Called reroll: 0/1

(1d20+5)[21] atk (+1 BAB, +2 Str, +2 flank) I didn't apply flanking last time, but doubt it matters.
    (1d20+5)[10] CC (24+, x2)
    (1d8+2)[6] dmg (+2 str) If divine favor still applies, +1 more
    (1d8+2)[9] crit bonus. If divine favor still applies, +1 more

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Filibert nods, and the tension of his posture communicates all that Growler needs in order to know his master's intent...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Not sure if readied attacks are appropriate here... DM roll as appropriate :D

Spoiler: Filibert's rolls
    Show
    Use extra rolls as AoOs as appropriate. No flanking or other bonuses considered.

Attack: (1d20+5)[6] (+1 if Cestus)
    CC: (1d20+5)[15] for x2 on 24-25 (+1 if Cestus)
    Damage (Cestus): (1d3+3)[4]
    Crit damage (Cestus): (1d3+3)[6]
    Damage (Bardiche): (1d8+3)[5]
    Crit damage (Bardiche): (1d8+3)[7]

Attack: (1d20+5)[13] (+1 if Cestus)
    CC: (1d20+5)[18] for x2 on 24-25 (+1 if Cestus)
    Crit damage (Cestus): (1d3+3)[5]
    Damage (Bardiche): (1d8+3)[11]
    Crit damage (Bardiche): (1d8+3)[9]

Attack: (1d20+5)[17] (+1 if Cestus)
    CC: (1d20+5)[11] for x2 on 24-25 (+1 if Cestus)
    Crit damage (Cestus): (1d3+3)[5]
    Damage (Bardiche): (1d8+3)[10]
    Crit damage (Bardiche): (1d8+3)[6]

Attack: (1d20+5)[25] (+1 if Cestus)
    CC: (1d20+5)[14] for x2 on 24-25 (+1 if Cestus)
    Crit damage (Cestus): (1d3+3)[6]
    Damage (Bardiche): (1d8+3)[8]
    Crit damage (Bardiche): (1d8+3)[10]

Growler:
    Attack: (1d20+4)[7]
    CC: (1d20+4)[15] for x2 on 24
    Trip: (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]
    Crit damage: (1d6+1)[4]

Growler's AoO?
    Attack: (1d20+4)[21]
    CC: (1d20+4)[18] for x2 on 24
    Trip: (1d20+4)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]
    Crit damage: (1d6+1)[6]

Show
    Filibert Heathertoe
    M NG Halfling Cavalier 2 (Order of the Dragon), Level 2, Init 5, HP 16/20, DR 0, Speed 15
    AC 22, Touch 14, Flat-footed 19, CMD 16, Fort 6, Ref 4, Will 1, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Double Damage on Charge Lance Melee (1d6+Str, X3)
    Brace, Reach Bardiche Melee (1d8+Str*1.5, 19-20, x2)
    Enchanted, +1 Cestus +1 Melee +1 (1d3+Str + 1, 19-20, x2)
    Breastplate, Shield, Heavy Wooden (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Condition None

Growler (Animal companion to Filibert)
    N/A Wolf Animal Companion, Level , Init 2, HP 11/19, Speed 50
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 5, Ref 5, Will 2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Trip Bite Melee+1 (1d6+str, x2)
    Studded Leather Barding (+3 Armor, +2 Dex, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 13, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Condition None

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Rax pants and wipes ichor off of his blade. "This had better be the last of them - we can't keep this up forever!"

Spoiler: Rax, spawn ambush #2
    Show
    As before, I'll assume both flanking and the Loner drawback are in effect. Use Archaeologist's Luck (7/7) right before summoning the spawn:
    atk (1d20+7)[9] (+2 luck, +2 flank, -1 Loner), cc (1d20+7)[26] (18-20/x2)
    dmg (1d6+5)[10] (+2 luck), cdmg (1d6+5)[6]
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1241

SwashbucklerGuy

Another wrathspawn forms and is destroyed as it rises. The pool continues to bubble, although slower.

Spoiler: Gilraen
    Show
    You believe two more wrathspawn will cause it to deactivate.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

12. - Top - End - #1242

Seeing that his friends' tactic seems to be successful, Sminerano extracts some additional blood from the quasit's body to drop into the vat.

13. - Top - End - #1243

SwashbucklerGuy

The bubbling stops. Further action in dismantling the runewell would take more expertise than you currently have among you, but after a few more attempts to raise a wrathspawn, it's clear that the immediate danger has passed.

Spoiler: Anyone using detect magic
    Show
    The magic is still there, but faint, as if dormant.

Show
    Welcome to level 3!

Spoiler: OOC Reminder
    Show
    Overarching story so far: Tsuto Kaijutsu has been captured and is in a cell awaiting trial. Lonjiku Kaijutsu is dead. Nualia Tobyn is alive and presumably with the bandits and goblins to the East of Sandpoint. Chances are good that since Tsuto won't be reporting back, the goblins will come to try to raid Sandpoint a second time in a few days, so you have some time to rest and recharge, but need to figure out how to get to the goblins before they start their warpath.
    Last edited by Shadowsend; 2016-05-17 at 10:11 PM.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

14. - Top - End - #1244

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: j/k
    Show
    As you head up towards the Rusty Dragon, you remember to give the ok to Bethana and Gorvi, who nods to his lads and begins a flurry of action inside the Glassworks. Father Tobyn (ooogaboogabooga!) arrives some time later with a few younger acolytes in tow. They take the workers' bodies up to the graveyard and begin preparing the remains for burial.
    Last edited by Shadowsend; 2016-05-23 at 07:44 PM.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen allows his posture to ease when a few more attempts prove fruitless to raise any more sinspawn. "Well, I for one, am glad to see that dealt with- at least as much as can be. Rax, good job. We would have been in much direr straits had we been forced to explore this place without your expertise. Likewise, Sminerano, those explosives proved particularly fortuitous with the bats. I shudder to think how ineffective we would have been at dispersing the foul swarm." He turns to Filibert. Smiling warmly, he nods at the diminutive knight and clasps a shoulder in salute. Words are neither necessary nor effective at describing his gratefulness for his friend's willingness to bear the brunt of the danger. After a long moment of relief, sadness creeps into his features.

"Still, there is work yet to be done. Perhaps less dangerous, but no less important for the fact. Ameiko may not have gotten along well with her father, but any opportunity she may have hoped to gain reconciliation has been dashed. She will need friends in these next few days, and I dare say she likely counts you all among them. Perhaps a new dress from Rynshinn will go a small way towards taking her mind off of things..." he adds as an afterthought. He turns back to his companions, just inside the threshold of the profane sanctuary, "Let us meet with Father Zantus. I am sure he can relieve our injuries, possibly without resorting to the precious pool of energy upon which our wand relies. Desna is a forgiving Goddess, and if memory serves, particularly dislikes the malformed creations of Lamashtu... I cannot help but wonder if that Goblin's form is a result of her influence, somehow...

As he passes by the caved-in stairs, Gilraen looks towards them with a shudder. Who knows where they lead?

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gilraen turns to Filibert. Smiling warmly, he nods at the diminutive knight and clasps a shoulder in salute. Words are neither necessary nor effective at describing his gratefulness for his friend's willingness to bear the brunt of the danger.
    Filibert's smile positively beams up at (the much taller) Gilraen, and the halfling gives several heartily congenial pats to the shoulder of his canine steed, who looks over his shoulder to give a grin, only slightly diminished by the weariness and pain of the day's labors.

"Still, there is work yet to be done. Perhaps less dangerous, but no less important for the fact. Ameiko may not have gotten along well with her father, but any opportunity she may have hoped to gain reconciliation has been dashed. She will need friends in these next few days, and I dare say she likely counts you all among them. Perhaps a new dress from Rynshinn will go a small way towards taking her mind off of things..." he adds as an afterthought. He turns back to his companions, just inside the threshold of the profane sanctuary, "Let us meet with Father Zantus. I am sure he can relieve our injuries, possibly without resorting to the precious pool of energy upon which our wand relies. Desna is a forgiving Goddess, and if memory serves, particularly dislikes the malformed creations of Lamashtu... I cannot help but wonder if that Goblin's form is a result of her influence, somehow...
    Filibert's expression sombers instantly as Lonjiku's death is brought back to mind, and the halfling nods earnestly at Gilraen's suggestions. "Yeah, we've done plenty for one day down here... plenty to do topside." The halfling checks the straps securing his armaments to Growler's harness, and moves to lead the way back to the surface.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Rax, good job. We would have been in much direr straits had we been forced to explore this place without your expertise."
    "Yeah yeah, sure." Rax waves off the praise, but turns to conceal a small smile of appreciation. His good humor lasts until they reach the street outside the Glassworks, where the afternoon sun upon his dark-accustomed eyes causes him to cry out in pain and pull up his hood, scowling. "Hard to believe a place like that is sitting right beneath Sandpoint... Tomorrow we need to send in some masons, seal the place up for good. I'll sleep better."

"She will need friends in these next few days, and I dare say she likely counts you all among them. Perhaps a new dress from Rynshinn will go a small way towards taking her mind off of things..." he adds as an afterthought.
    "Not a bad idea. I'll ask Rynshinn about it." Rax agrees. "Lead on to the priest. Then we'd better send a runner to Bethana, because I'm about to eat every single meat pie at the Dragon!"
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1248

SwashbucklerGuy

Moonday, 5th of Rova, Early Evening, 4707

"Let us meet with Father Zantus. I am sure he can relieve our injuries, possibly without resorting to the precious pool of energy upon which our wand relies. Desna is a forgiving Goddess, and if memory serves, particularly dislikes the malformed creations of Lamashtu... I cannot help but wonder if that Goblin's form is a result of her influence, somehow...

As he passes by the caved-in stairs, Gilraen looks towards them with a shudder. Who knows where they lead?
    Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    Filibert's expression sombers instantly as Lonjiku's death is brought back to mind, and the halfling nods earnestly at Gilraen's suggestions. "Yeah, we've done plenty for one day down here... plenty to do topside."
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Yeah yeah, sure." Rax waves off the praise, but turns to conceal a small smile of appreciation. His good humor lasts until they reach the street outside the Glassworks, where the afternoon sun upon his dark-accustomed eyes causes him to cry out in pain and pull up his hood, scowling. "Hard to believe a place like that is sitting right beneath Sandpoint... Tomorrow we need to send in some masons, seal the place up for good. I'll sleep better."

"Not a bad idea. I'll ask Rynshinn about it." Rax agrees. "Lead on to the priest. Then we'd better send a runner to Bethana, because I'm about to eat every single meat pie at the Dragon!"
    It seems Bethana and Gorvi are one step ahead of Gilraen in preparing the Glassworks to return to normalcy. Acolytes have moved all of the bodies out of the Glassworks by stretcher, and are preparing to transport them to the graveyard. A quick question later reveals Father Zantus is currently in his study, working on the eulogy for these fine citizens of Sandpoint. As you head that direction you approach Sandpoint Savories, where the smell of freshly cooked bread wafting on the air and mingles with the sea breeze, and Rax's stomach rumbles mightily. Alma waves at the group and calls out. "Your insides betray you, Sir Reeve. Would you care to purchase something as you head about your business?" A few of the patrons currently waiting for their orders to be filled chuckle at the woman's comment.

You turn up the Main Street and see Brodert Quink, Sabyl Sorn and Ilsoari Gandethus sitting at a table just outside the Curious Goblin, discussing an old tale. Ilsoari is narrating, and seems to grow larger and larger as he delivers each line. You head north up the road and see a wagon with some familiar faces. It's Crade and Lis Hambley, with their five sons sitting in the back of the now empty wagon. They wave to you. "We never got a chance to thank you after the attack at the Swallowtail festival," Crade Hambley says. Lis nods and says a simple "Thank you." You continue up the road and turn onto Church Street, where you approach the courtyard where the festival was held, and where you held off the assault. It's hard to believe it was only four days ago, as very little evidence of the attack remains, save some scorch marks on the Cathedral that have yet to be smoothed over by magical means. Inside the Cathedral, Father Zantus seems to be pacing and rehearsing something to himself. "Welcome, Protectors of Sandpoint. I understand one of our leader has fallen, and am currently working on a speech to allay the fears of change, as well as honor and remember the life lived. Lonjiku may not have been the most likeable person, but he was a voice of reason on the Council, and helped make many difficult decisions. Sandpoint would be a very different place without the Glassworks, and we shall see what changes do come."

Show
    Not sure what your business here was, other than to get healing and tell Zantus about the shrine to Lamashtu under the city.

"May your shared hopes and dreams sustain you through the turmoil and chaos of the day." Zantus prays as he releases a divine burst of energy.

Spoiler: Healing
    Show
    (2d6)[7] points of damage healed.

When discussing the events under the Glassworks, particularly when talking about the Shrine of Lamashtu, Zantus blurts out.

"That is terrible news. It...must have been the source of that...incident..." The priest seems to be having difficulty controlling his emotions. "I will write to some friends I know in Magnimar about the shrine. They will have the tools to destroy it."

"If there's nothing else, I must continue preparing Lonjiku and his worker's eulogies. And I think you should report your findings to Mayor Deverin. She should still be meeting with the Council for a few more hours."
    Last edited by Shadowsend; 2016-05-23 at 08:48 PM.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

As the party leaves the ruins beneath the Glassworks, Gilraen's hands slowly resume their typical jitters. He waves uncomfortably at the townsfolk, offering a smile, but not trusting himself to form words in the moment, until he sees the farmers and they considerable following. To them, he nods, and mumbles, "I am glad to have been able to help."

At the cathedral, relief is the dominant emotion. Father Zantus is wise beyond his fairly limited years, and Gilraen is pleased to see the man already considering the significance of the task ahead. "I know the weight of your burden is somewhat beyond our purview, but please, if we can be of aid, ask. I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that w are here for you as we are for all of Sandpoint in these troubling times..." He nods at the mention of help from Magnimar- an odd mirror image of the Sheriff's words so shortly prior.

The most pressing concern satisfied, Gilraen heads to the town hall to inform Mayor Deverin of the tragic news.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As you head that direction you approach Sandpoint Savories, where the smell of freshly cooked bread wafting on the air and mingles with the sea breeze, and Rax's stomach rumbles mightily. Alma waves at the group and calls out. "Your insides betray you, Sir Reeve. Would you care to purchase something as you head about your business?" A few of the patrons currently waiting for their orders to be filled chuckle at the woman's comment.
    Unable to wait any longer, Rax turns with a grin and fishes a silver coin from his pocket. "You know the way to man's heart, Alma," he winks. "Two loaves, please, and two of those meat tarts, if you have any!"

"May your shared hopes and dreams sustain you through the turmoil and chaos of the day." Zantus prays as he releases a divine burst of energy.
    "Thanks, Father" Rax flexes his newly healed wounds to test them out. "Nothing new with Tsuto, right? He's the cause of all of this - we need eyes on him around the clock!"

After hearing the priests' response, Rax falls into step alongside Gilraen, heading for the Mayor's office.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1251

Sminerano's mood is somber as he emerges from Glassworks into a town that seems eerily normal after the unsettling scenes he witnessed right under it. He politely acknowledges the Hambley family's gratitude with a noncommittal "you know, we just did what we could..." but finds himself unable to provide greater reassurance than this.

Wont to cause a panic by telling too much, he uncharacteristically doesn't interrupt Ilsoari's tales with a story of his own. Instead, he just hails Brodert: "We have found a few more things that will require your examination, Master Quinn. Can I come visit you later?"

Leaving his friends on their way to meetings with the priest and the mayor, he takes the shortest route to the Rusty Dragon, anxious to visit Ameiko.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2016-05-26 at 04:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Filibert's typically congenial air is dampened somewhat by the sight of the stretchers, each bearing the body of one of Sandpoint's townsfolk, arrayed outside the ruined Glassworks. After a moment of sadness, the halfling blinks and swallows back his sorrow; a somewhat more grim and determined expression takes its place.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "You know the way to man's heart, Alma," he winks. "Two loaves, please, and two of those meat tarts, if you have any!"
    Filibert suddenly grins wolfishly, and he calls out, "And two more for me 'n' Growler! He's more'n earned a little somethin' for his hard work today."

"We never got a chance to thank you after the attack at the Swallowtail festival," Crade Hambley says. Lis nods and says a simple "Thank you."
    Filibert smiles broadly at the two. "You're welcome. It was just the right thing to do."

Otherwise, the halfling and his canine steed take a position at Gilraen's right hand when speaking to Father Zantus, and he nods his assent regarding the charge to inform the mayor of the day's happenings.

23. - Top - End - #1253

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Sminerano
    Show
    The usual murmur of the crowd is absent as you walk into the Rusty Dragon. You see Ameiko on stage, very drunk, plucking her samisen seemingly randomly, though the effect is not something you've heard before, you can get used to it. Rynshinn, Hannah, and Arika Alvertin sit at a table that has been drawn up to the very edge of the stage, and whisper amongst themselves.

The three of you head towards the City Hall. A guard at the front allows you entrance, and leads you to a large meeting room, with a loft filled with five finely crafted chairs, four of which with a family crest above them. The fifth is in the center and has the Sandpoint Mercantile League sigil emblazoned in the wall behind it. Currently four of the five chairs are occupied by Titus Scarnetti, a very old looking man, which you assume to be Ethram Valdemar, Sir Jasper Korvaski, Mayor Deverin, and the empty one belonging to the Kaijitsu family. Scribes sit close to them, in livery of each of the families and the office of the League, writing down the conversations as best they can. Mayor Deverin seems to be addressing concerns you've already heard from Titus Scarnetti about the defense of the city.

"The militia cannot be more ready than it already is. It takes time to arm and deploy, even with advanced notice, it can take an hour or two to get everyone ready to fight. You know this. You also know we've tried to reduce that time and only succeeded in gaining a few minutes at best. While it's clear more should be done, having a standing army or increasing the defenses requires that we tax the people, and everyone here, more in order to pay for the labor, be it the exercise of silvered steel or building hammers. If we were seeking safety, we never would have left Magnimar, such as it is."

Ethram raises a frail hand. "In the face of death, what good is a few extra silver or gold spent on taxes?"

"Dead is dead. There are those of us who cannot even pay for decent food among us now. Surely increasing their taxes will take food out of their mouths."

"Perhaps we should start a defense fund then, and allow people to contribute what they can." Lord Scarnetti replies.

"I believe that would eventually become a tax, because as the current events fade, so too will the resolve to change our defenses and we'll be right where we started."

Sir Jasper Korvaski motions for himself to speak. "It would still be a step forward. I think it is our best option at present. We can revise this plan later, if we determine the funds generated are not sufficient."

"All those in favor?"

Everyone raises their hand.

"We shall create a defense fund, overseen by Sir Jasper Korvaski. He will document every transaction and we will determine the best actions to take at the next League Meeting." Mayor Deverin pauses. "Now onto introductions. May I present the newly appointed Sandpoint Reeves, Gilraen Surion, Filibert Heathertoe, and Araxes Kellandon. While I didn't expect them to make a report until next month, they might already have news for the League to discuss."
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen steps through the open door briskly, offering a curt word of "My thanks," to the guard standing vigil at the entry. Familiar with the building, having made multiple forays in fruitless effort to gain traction for the recovery of Celwynvian, he dismisses the guard back to his post when the man makes to show them the way. "I am familiar, thank you."

He stands nervously near the door, unwilling to intrude upon what is so obviously official business, but eager to inform the mayor of the nature of their fifth member's absence. Still, he keeps his peace, until starting suddenly at the unexpected attention from the mayor. Inclining his head politely upon mention, he steps into the room- formally leading Rax and Filibert into the Sandpoint Mercantile League's presence.

"Greetings sirs," He bows gently to the familial patriarchs. "Madam," to Mayor Deverin. "I- that is... we do. I regret the curt nature of said report, but it seems most prudent to ah... 'cut to the chase,' as I have heard. Lonjiku Kaijitsu is dead. As best we can ascertain, his... son, Tsuto Kaijitsu is responsible, and currently under guard across the way." He gestures in the vague direction of Hemlock's jail- across the square.

"I suspect Ameiko now rightfully belongs in his seat, though no doubt she is currently in no shape to attend. I... do not envy her position. Tsuto, likewise, appears responsible for the raid, the night of the Swallowtail Festival. We have found documents in his own hand- and the family's traditional language- detailing the plot. He knew of some sort of access beneath the Glassworks, tunnels or a catacomb of sorts. He has used these at least once or twice to gain passage unseen." Gilraen gulps, a vain attempt to make the passage of his next words less unpleasant.

"Finally, it would appear that we have witnessed but the spearhead of Tsuto's plans. There is a greater raid to come- the details were lacking, as it appears we have discovered the plot before it has come to completion..." The lean Elf looks to his companions, his expression a strong warning, before turning back to face the Mayor.

"That is all, for now."

25. - Top - End - #1255

SwashbucklerGuy

"Lonjiku Kaijitsu is dead."
    A collection of gasps and other sounds of shock fill the room.

"As best we can ascertain, his... son, Tsuto Kaijitsu is responsible, and currently under guard across the way." He gestures in the vague direction of Hemlock's jail- across the square.
    Titus Scarnetti snorts. "A divided house cannot stand," he says derisively. Mayor Deverin shoots him a harsh look, and he stops talking again.

"I suspect Ameiko now rightfully belongs in his seat, though no doubt she is currently in no shape to attend. I... do not envy her position. Tsuto, likewise, appears responsible for the raid, the night of the Swallowtail Festival. We have found documents in his own hand- and the family's traditional language- detailing the plot. He knew of some sort of access beneath the Glassworks, tunnels or a catacomb of sorts. He has used these at least once or twice to gain passage unseen." Gilraen gulps, a vain attempt to make the passage of his next words less unpleasant.
    Sir Korvaski goes white at the mention of the tunnels. Everyone pauses and looks at him. He sighs heavily. "Lonjiku told me about them. He said that when the Glassworks was built by his father, some of the workers decided to extend the underground portion and smuggle goods in and out. He fired them once he found out, and bricked up the tunnels. It would not have been difficult for Tsuto to discover them."

"Finally, it would appear that we have witnessed but the spearhead of Tsuto's plans. There is a greater raid to come- the details were lacking, as it appears we have discovered the plot before it has come to completion..." The lean Elf looks to his companions, his expression a strong warning, before turning back to face the Mayor.

"That is all, for now."
    There is a constant whispering, as if everyone is trying to talk their minds at once. Kendra waits patiently for them to settle down. "This news requires my immediate attention, given that Sheriff Hemlock is currently in Magnimar. If no one objects..." She pauses and looks at the other members of the League. Lord Scarnetti begins to object, then pauses and considers something else. "Let us finish the meeting tomorrow." Everyone stands up and before the group leaves, Mayor Deverin beckons them over. "Come with me, please." She says.

She leads the trio to a smaller meeting room. "How much...time do we have before they come?" She asks, her voice intense, but barely above a whisper. Just then, there is a knock at the door. "Enter!" she shouts, annoyed.

A scribe opens the door. "Mayor, come quick. A man fell off his horse just outside. Both he and his horse are wounded badly. I wouldn't have disturbed you, but he called out for you by name."

The Mayor leads the group quickly outside to see a crowd gathered around what you assume must be the wounded man. Daviren Hosk is tending to the horse over to the side. It has been shot in the hind quarters by an arrow with blue fletching. You recognize the horse as belonging to Madrak Stoot. Hannah Velerin is rushing down Main Street from the south.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

26. - Top - End - #1256

Spoiler: Sminerano
    Show
    The usual murmur of the crowd is absent as you walk into the Rusty Dragon. You see Ameiko on stage, very drunk, plucking her samisen seemingly randomly, though the effect is not something you've heard before, you can get used to it. Rynshinn, Hannah, and Arika Alvertin sit at a table that has been drawn up to the very edge of the stage, and whisper amongst themselves.
    Sminerano takes the scene in quickly, noticing Ameiko's alarming state. He walks to the women's table. "No need to ask how she's doing..." he says, his face showing his sadness and worry. "Do you think something can be done to help her?"

27. - Top - End - #1257

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: the Rusty Dragon
    Show
    Rynshinn ladled a spoonful of soup into her mouth just as Sminerano asked the question. Hannah simply shakes her head. After Rynshinn swallows, she says "Ameiko is one of the toughest women in Sandpoint, but she has a good heart. You knew that already." Rynshinn wrinkles her nose in thought. [COLOR="#ff99ff"]"She wanted to see the good in her half-brother, but his betrayal has left her reeling. And he took her father from her. I know I'd be a complete wreck, raging one minute, crying desperately the next. So maybe being drunk is... better... than either of those two." She seems like she doesn't quite believe the words coming out of her mouth. [COLOR="#ff99ff"]"Besides, I'm sure Bethana will take care of her. They seem to alternate between mothering each other." Rynshinn shrugs. "It's not more than that?" Arika whispers to the other ladies with a hint of a dirty smile on her lips. Rynshinn looks shocked at the idea. "Arika! Of course it's not like that. Right, Hannah?"

Hannah gives the younger woman a stern look. "Don't make assumptions based on rumors. No, they're only friends who work closely together." She is then interrupted when there is a loud knocking at the door. Hannah rises first and goes over to open it.

A woman's voice comes through the door. "Help, oh thank the Dreamer it's you, Ms. Velerin. Please come quickly. A man collapsed right on Main Street!" Without a word Hannah nods and follows the woman towards the scene.

My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

28. - Top - End - #1258

"Well, I don't care about rumors. I guess I, I, er... Care about her." Sminerano's reply in Arika's direction is a bit more stiff than would be strictly necessary.

At the news of an incident in the street, he raises his head in alarm. No more fighting today, I hope! He leaves the inn right behind Hannah.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Rax squirms and fidgets throughout Gilraen's report to the Mercantile League, clearly uncomfortable in such a formal environment. He breaks his silence only when the Sir Korvaski mentions the tunnels beneath the Glassworks. "Well, someone discovered them! And Gilraen left out the part about the monsters down there we just finished fighting!" Seeing the looks on the councils' faces, Rax quickly recalculates, "No, no - it's safe for now - we slew them all. But whatever evil energy created those creatures in the first place likely isn't gone for gone. The entrance needs to be re-bricked, in double layers this time, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone on patrol at all times!"

A scribe opens the door. "Mayor, come quick. A man fell off his horse just outside. Both he and his horse are wounded badly. I wouldn't have disturbed you, but he called out for you by name."

The Mayor leads the group quickly outside to see a crowd gathered around what you assume must be the wounded man. Daviren Hosk is tending to the horse over to the side. It has been shot in the hind quarters by an arrow with blue fletching. You recognize the horse as belonging to Madrak Stoot. Hannah Velerin is rushing down Main Street from the south.
    Rax bolts out of the room at the scribe's announcement, eager for the excuse to leave the piercing gazes of the League members. "Hey, it's that ranger fellow! Madrak, right? What happened, man? Gilraen, he's hurt! Get over here and patch him up!" Rax is engrossed enough by the spectacle that he forgets to scowl at the hurtful sunlight, for once.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen ignores the injured horse- it appears tended, already. Instead, he dashes towards the collapsed ranger, even as Rax makes his exhortation. Needing no further prompting than the man's condition, Gilraen closes his eyes and focuses on the inexplicable power flowing through him. With a firm word, he releases the energy into the man, hoping against hope that his wounds are simple to ease.

Spoiler: spell
    Show
    cure light wounds, duh: (1d8+3)[9]
    3/6 1st level spells remain