New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Q253

Say a cleric changes what god they worship, or instead stops drawing their divine spells from a deity altogether and instead devotes themselves to a cause. In either case, would they be able to change their domains/be forced to change their domains?

Q254

Is there a way for clerics to get domain spells from a domain they do not have onto their spell list (e.g. get the spells from the Retribution domain (which has a terrible domain ability no one would want) added to their spell list so they can prepare them normally without actually having the domain)?
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 250

One of a Binder's Pact Augmentation abilities is "+5 hit points": doe this mean the Binder gains 5 temporary hit points at time of the pact; or does his current and maximum hit points rise by 5 for the duration?
    It affects his current and maximum hit points, similar to the Toughness feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplashbash View Post
    Q 252

Can an incorporeal creature move faster than its base move rate? Run, Hustle or Charge?
    Yes, assuming it's not affected by any condition that prevents it from doing so, such as fatigue. You can run, charge, and hustle using any of your movement speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestroisrois View Post
    Q253

Say a cleric changes what god they worship, or instead stops drawing their divine spells from a deity altogether and instead devotes themselves to a cause. In either case, would they be able to change their domains/be forced to change their domains?
    Yes. However, changing deities requires a special quest to prove your devotion to your new deity, as described in the sidebar on p193 of the Player's Handbook II.

Q254

Is there a way for clerics to get domain spells from a domain they do not have onto their spell list (e.g. get the spells from the Retribution domain (which has a terrible domain ability no one would want) added to their spell list so they can prepare them normally without actually having the domain)?
    There's no general option that will allow you to add the spells of any domain to your class spell list. However, certain Initiate feats can add some domain spells to your list (e.g. Initiate of Gond).

If you like a domain's spells but not its granted power, you might also be interested in the Divine Restoration alternative class feature from Dungeonscape, which replaces one of your domain-granted powers with the ability to spontaneously cast restoration spells, or the Positive Healing alternative class feature from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, which replaces one of your domain-granted powers with the ability to heal yourself by spending turn undead attempts.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-02-05 at 01:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #513

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Yes. However, changing deities requires a special quest to prove your devotion to your new deity, as described in the sidebar on p193 of the Player's Handbook II.
    I'll take a look. Thank you for your help.

There's no general option that will allow you to add the spells of any domain to your class spell list. However, certain Initiate feats can add some domain spells to your list (e.g. Initiate of Gond).

If you like a domain's spells but not its granted power, you might also be interested in the Divine Restoration alternative class feature from Dungeonscape, which replaces one of your domain-granted powers with the ability to spontaneously cast restoration spells, or the Positive Healing alternative class feature from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, which replaces one of your domain-granted powers with the ability to heal yourself by spending turn undead attempts.
    The main reason for asking is because of a desire to get more spells for qualifications; if that isn't possible, then I will just have to make due without other domains.

Q255

If you lose the Trickery Domain and you do not have Bluff, Disguise, and Hide as class skills in any other class, what happens? Do you retain them as class skills? If not, what happens if you had those skills maxed, etc.?
    Show
    Show
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

Q 256

How can my wizard temporarily become an outsider? The [good] subtype would be nice to have as well; I want to cast a spell with a "Celestial" spell component. I've considered using polymorph any object or putting ranks into Use Magic Device and getting a few scrolls of lesser holy transformation; is there an easier way?
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2016-02-05 at 01:51 AM. Reason: question number was swordsaged
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

The main reason for asking is because of a desire to get more spells for qualifications; if that isn't possible, then I will just have to make due without other domains.
    If the spells you want are abjuration, divination, or necromancy spells from the Wizard list, you can add them to your class spell list with the Divine Magician alternative class feature from Complete Mage, if that helps.

Q255

If you lose the Trickery Domain and you do not have Bluff, Disguise, and Hide as class skills in any other class, what happens? Do you retain them as class skills? If not, what happens if you had those skills maxed, etc.?
    The skills would no longer be class skills for you. There is no provision in the rules to cover what happens to any existing skill ranks you might have had in them, so you and your DM will have to figure that out, but regardless of whether you keep existing ranks, you certainly won't be able to take new ranks above the cross-class maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Q 256

How can my wizard temporarily become an outsider? The [good] subtype would be nice to have as well; I want to cast a spell with a "Celestial" spell component. I've considered using polymorph any object or putting ranks into Use Magic Device and getting a few scrolls of lesser holy transformation; is there an easier way?
    The simplest way would be to take two levels of Celestial Mystic or Troubadour of Stars, either of which allows you to cast spells with a celestial component. I'm not sure if they qualify as easier. It depends on exactly what you're trying to do, I suppose.

You could also permanently become an outsider (good) with the application of a template like Saint or Mulhorandi Divine Minion, but that's probably difficult.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-02-05 at 02:27 AM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 243

If a Deepwood Sniper 10 shoots an arrow at a character with the Snatch Arrow and the Throw Anything feats, the arrow that is thrown back has what critical range and multiplier?
    Repost from last page

7. - Top - End - #517
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q257: When a PC wizard uses the spell fireball, and wants to put it behind the enemies as to get out of range of his allies, does he have to shoot it through the enemies? Do they have cover or does it work like the example given in the PHB (Pea sized bead) where a touch attack is needed to avoid activating prematurely?
    Last edited by Dousedinoil; 2016-02-06 at 12:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Q 243

If a Deepwood Sniper 10 shoots an arrow at a character with the Snatch Arrow and the Throw Anything feats, the arrow that is thrown back has what critical range and multiplier?
    The arrow cannot be thrown back, as it is a projectile, not a thrown weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dousedinoil View Post
    Q257: When a PC wizard uses the spell fireball, and wants to put it behind the enemies as to get out of range of his allies, does he have to shoot it through the enemies? Do they have cover or does it work like the example given in the PHB (Pea sized bead) where a touch attack is needed to avoid activating prematurely?
    An attack roll is only needed when shooting the fireball through a narrow passage. If he wished to fire it through a small hole in a wall, for example, he would need to roll an attack. If a character were standing in front of the hole, that character would grant cover to the hole, but no additional attack roll would be needed to bypass them.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The arrow cannot be thrown back, as it is a projectile, not a thrown weapon.
    Are you sure? Even if the defender has the Throw Anything feat?

Reardless, what if it was a javelin and the attacker was a Master Thrower with the Deadeye Shot trick?

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you sure? Even if the defender has the Throw Anything feat?

Reardless, what if it was a javelin and the attacker was a Master Thrower with the Deadeye Shot trick?
    If ammunition hits it is destroyed, if it does not hit there is a 50% chance it is destroyed. Deflect/snatch arrows only works on attacks that hit.

A master thrower throwing the javelin back, would get the increased multiplier. but not the increased threat range from the deepwood sniper. That bonus only applies to attacks with arrows made by the deepwood sniper.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2016-02-06 at 12:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

The simplest way would be to take two levels of Celestial Mystic or Troubadour of Stars, either of which allows you to cast spells with a celestial component. I'm not sure if they qualify as easier. It depends on exactly what you're trying to do, I suppose.
    I think I'll stick with polymorph any object. Thanks all the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

A 256:

The spell "As The Frost" (PHB2) changes your type to Outsider, among other effects. It does not grant the [good] subtype, though, so you'd need some other way to get around that.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

13. - Top - End - #523

Chimera

Q258

Can someone with the Magical Training feat (Player's Guide to Faerun pg 41) who casts (and prepares) spells as a wizard (and therefore has a spellbook) add more spells to their spellbook?
    Show
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

Q258

Can someone with the Magical Training feat (Player's Guide to Faerun pg 41) who casts (and prepares) spells as a wizard (and therefore has a spellbook) add more spells to their spellbook?
    Yes, provided the spells in question are on their class spell list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules Compendium p160
    Spellcasters who use spellbooks can add a spell to their book whenever they find one on a scroll or in another caster's spellbook. The spell to be copied must be on the copier's class spell list.
    The Magical Training feat doesn't provide them with a class spell list, so they'll need to have levels in a spellcasting class, but if they do, they can add spells to the book. Whether they can then cast those spells depends on their class.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 259

Very basic question, but when using point buy, is there a minimum number a stat can go down to?
    eg. Could I dump a stat down to 6 (before racial modifiers) or is 8 the minimum?

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

A 259

8 is the minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG p. 169
    All ability scores start at 8. Take 25 points to spread out among all abilities.

17. - Top - End - #527

Q260
    The PHB2's Druid alternate class feature Shapeshift ability (p.39) prevents spellcasting while shapeshifted, but it explicitly allows all extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form. Reserve Feats from Complete Mage (p.36) are supernatural abilities and function (for prepared casters) as long as an appropriate spell has been prepared and not yet cast that day.

Do reserve feats function as normal for a Druid with the PHB2 alternate class feature even while the character is shapeshifted?

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

A 260

They function normally. Reserve feats do not care why a prepared spell remains uncast or why a spell slot isn't expended.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Q 261

I have a question about incorporeality in relation to objects. I feel like this would have been asked before, but I didn't find it on a cursory search of the thread unfortunately. In the rules compendium I find the following on page 65:

EQUIPMENT
    Incorporeal creatures can’t manipulate or carry corporeal
    objects. A creature must be able to swallow a potion or smear
    on an oil. Because of this, incorporeal creatures can’t use
    potions or oils.
    Equipment worn or carried by an incorporeal creature is
    also incorporeal as long as that equipment remains in the
    creature’s possession. An object the creature relinquishes
    loses its incorporeal quality, and the creature loses the
    ability to manipulate that object. Magic items possessed
    by an incorporeal creature work normally with respect to
    their effects on the creature or on another target. Similarly,
    spells cast by an incorporeal creature affect corporeal
    creatures normally.
    My question is how should this be read? I can see it two ways.

A) Somewhat dysfunctionally the passage states that you cannot manipulate or carry corporeal objects, and then states that an object you possess is incorporeal without stating how it gets into your possession. If no implications are being made, then I would suggest whoever wrote this only accounted for monsters or PCs that become temporarily incorporeal as they would presumably have objects on them that are incorporeal without having to state how they picked them up in the first place. This kind of leaves any sort of potentially incorporeal PC or NPC that might interact with the party for an extended length high and dry. Not my favored interpretation, but does only rely on explicit statements rather than implications.

B) The second paragraph implies that any corporeal item that an incorporeal creature would pick up would immediately become incorporeal to allow them to so long as it is in their possession. This might open up a can of worms or two, but it would make it a lot more convenient for those with the subtype.

Sorry for the length of the question. I'm hoping that there's something I've missed or the answer is more simple than it appears. I've sorted out the problem with my GM already, but I was legitimately curious as to the actual RAW on the matter. If it requires too much opinion or lengthy discussion, consider the question dropped.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

A 261

Your two interpretations are not mutually exclusive. Any corporeal item the incorporeal creature physically picked up would theoretically become incorporeal. However, because the incorporeal creature cannot pick up corporeal items while incorporeal, this is unlikely to come into play.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-02-08 at 03:08 AM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance
    Q233
    I'm sure I remember seeing a Paladin spell that allowed you to teleport to be mounted on your special mount. Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called, and I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know?
    Reposting.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

Answer 261 continued

In core, there is the 'ghost touch' property, which allows incorporeal creatures to pick the items up.

Out of core, there are probably more options available in the 'Ghostwalk' setting.

23. - Top - End - #533

Answer 261 continued further
    The answer to 'how [equipment] gets into [the ghost's] possession' is in the ghost entry in the Monster Manual, the last section of the entry, Ghostly Equipment.

"When a ghost forms, all its equipment and carried items usually become ethereal along with it. In addition, the ghost retains 2d4 items that it particularly valued in life (provided they are not in another creature’s possession). "

Also note,

"The original material items remain behind, just as the ghost’s physical remains do. If another creature seizes the original, the ethereal copy fades away."

Apparently the process that makes a person a ghost also makes its current equipment ethereal. The process, not the ghost. So the ghost does not pick things up. It has them, or it does not.

[Perhaps a PC as ghost could disarm other ghosts to gain new equipment.]
    Last edited by Fitz10019; 2016-02-08 at 02:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534

Chimera

Yes, provided the spells in question are on their class spell list.

The Magical Training feat doesn't provide them with a class spell list, so they'll need to have levels in a spellcasting class, but if they do, they can add spells to the book. Whether they can then cast those spells depends on their class.
    Q258 - B

Magical Training specifies for the wizard casting that "You have a spellbook with three 0-level spells of your choice from the sorcerer/wizard list." Wouldn't that, combined with its stating you prepare and cast spells "exactly as a wizard does" mean that for the purpose of the Arcane casting granted by the feat, your spell list is the sorcerer/wizard spell list? Or is this likely to be an "ask your DM/Your Mileage May Vary" sort of thing?
    Show
    Show

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Q258 - B

Magical Training specifies for the wizard casting that "You have a spellbook with three 0-level spells of your choice from the sorcerer/wizard list." Wouldn't that, combined with its stating you prepare and cast spells "exactly as a wizard does" mean that for the purpose of the Arcane casting granted by the feat, your spell list is the sorcerer/wizard spell list? Or is this likely to be an "ask your DM/Your Mileage May Vary" sort of thing?
    No. You only prepare and cast those spells like a Wizard (and are treated as one for the purpose of level-dependent variables). Scribing spells isn't included in that, nor is activating spell trigger or spell completion items.

The mere act of selecting a small number of spells from a spell list doesn't mean that class's whole spell list is yours now. If it did, a fair mess of other abilities, like a Beguiler's advanced learning, wouldn't function as intended. In order to consider those spells class spells, the rules need to specifically say they're considered class spells.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-02-08 at 05:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz10019 View Post
    Answer 261 continued further

Apparently the process that makes a person a ghost also makes its current equipment ethereal. The process, not the ghost. So the ghost does not pick things up. It has them, or it does not.

[Perhaps a PC as ghost could disarm other ghosts to gain new equipment.]
    Further Continuation of Answer 261, Clarified

Nothing is stopping a ghost from picking up further equipment if it is able to, from the use of the ghost touch ability or otherwise.

[A PC ghost could take another ghost's equipment. However, if it's a duplicate of a ghost's mortal equipment, and the corporeal version was taken from the original ghost's corpse, their new equipment would disappear.]

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Q 262 (I think.): If I take the Ancestral Relic feat later in game (Say, level 9 feat.), do I automatically get allotted the value allowed on the feats table to the designated Item? Or do I simply have to pay out of pocket for said Item?

Context: I'm doing a mid level character creation at the moment, and trying to figure out if this actually free's up money for me to use covering things other then "Hit it in the face half way effectively with a pointy metal stick." or not.
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

A 262

No. Ancestral Relic does not give you any money directly, whether you take the feat at level 3 or later. The only savings you get is from getting full price on the items you sacrifice to fuel the relic. Sacrificing a +1 longsword would add 2315 gp to the value you can spend on improving the relic, whereas selling the same longsword would only give you 1157,5 gp to spend on enchanting another weapon.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Barbarian in the Playground

Addendum to Answer 261:
    There is a feat called Ghostly Grasp in the book of bad latin libris mortis that allows an incorporeal creature to use corporeal objects as if they were also corporeal.
    You need to have Cha 15 or higher to take it though.
    Bane of disrudisplorkians, and loremaster.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Orc in the Playground

Q263
    Would returning weapon enchantment on a harpoon make it deal the same damage as when it went in?
    Like if they pulled it out normally..
    Edit: If I return a harpoon, are they still affected by the harpoon effect?
    Last edited by Wacky89; 2016-02-09 at 08:06 PM.