New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Thread XXVI: Pokemon Go Outside. Please. Just Go outside. We're begging you.

Spoiler: New Stuff
    Show
    I am definitely a fan of the new abilities being added to the game, while they seem to be different versions of existing ones (Stamina is a Def version of Speed Boost, Triage is Gale Wings/Prankster for recovery moves) they do add some variety and flavor to the new Pokémon. Also, Mudsdale looks really neat.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pokemon GO

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I've only actually beaten one Gym, and it was because I had caught a 300+ CP Pinsir plus others and this Gym somehow had only a 200+ CP Weepinbell defending it. Pretty much every other Gym I find has multiple defenders, at least one of which has over 1000 CP, and inevitably at least one Eeveelution.
    When you attack gyms even if you don't beat all the pokemon if you beat at least one the prestige goes down, if you have the resources to attack the gym multiple times you can whittle down their prestige until they can no longer have more than one or two pokemon stationed at it. At which point you can just dogpile the last pokemon left at it.

That's what I did for the one gym I was actually able to approach anyway, only problem in my case is that I use an ipod and was relying on a stores lousy wifi, while whoever had the gym was camping it. They'd always reclaim the gym before I got a chance to claim it myself.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    The problem with that is... after the first 30 minutes, I don't think it does anything beyond cosmetically.
    Makes sense. I've spent some time imagining how the servers are constructed, and that seems to fit.

Wild Pokemon are basically GPS markers. Lure Modules and Incense cause more of these GPS markers to be spawned in the immediate area of a particular GPS location (either the known location of a PokeStop for Lure Modules or a player's location for Incense) for a set duration. That duration is probably tracked by a server-side timer, since the server is probably the thing actually responsible for spawning Pokemon.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been playing a little, very little really because the wife says the last thing I need is another mobile game obsession. But I've never really played Pokemon, never a fan of the hand-helds and didn't have any Nintendo system after the NES. So I know that you catch them and they can fight and they have strengths and weaknesses but I don't really know anything else. Like why would I catch a bunch of the same and what do I do with the extras. Which types should I try to level up and evolve, and how I do any of that.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Like why would I catch a bunch of the same and what do I do with the extras.
    That threw me too. Turns out you can trade in the extras for "candies" using the Transfer option...

Which types should I try to level up and evolve, and how I do any of that.
    ...and these candies can be used to evolve and/or power up your other Pokemon. Note that candies are specific to each variety of Pokemon, so you can't use a Pidgey candy on a Weedle, for instance.

To be an effective Trainer, you need all sorts of Pokemon.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Thread XXVI: Pokemon Go Outside. Please. Just Go outside. We're begging you.

Just had a thought, I wonder how people would react to shiny Pokemon in Pokemon Go?

Spoiler: New stuff
    Show
    New 'Mons aren't wowing me as much as some of the previous reveals honestly. None of them are bad, but it's only common sense that all of them won't be super-exciting. Definably like the looks of Mudsdale though (like I need an excuse to like new Ground-types).

I don't know why, but the more I think of them the more I look forward to Bewear and Mimikyu...

7. - Top - End - #187
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Just had a thought, I wonder how people would react to shiny Pokemon in Pokemon Go?
    "Meh, the CP is too low, Transfer."
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #188

If your best Pokemon is 300CP, you're not ready to fight gyms. You'll want to have guys in the 700+ range before you bother. It's possible to win with a low CP Pokemon by finger tapdancing around attacks, but it won't be fun. Neither is type all that important - there are no immunities, super-effective is only +25% damage, not-effective is only -20% damage, STAB may or may not exist.

Stardust is useful only if you have rare Pokemon. Yes, it's easier to evolve a new Pidgeot than to bump up your old Pidgeot, but you'll find the same strategy will not work with Blastoise, or Gyarados, while their component candy is very easy to come by. To catch better Pokemon than your local generic filler, find places with many people. You should focus on evolving and powering up only those Pokemon that are relatively common around you, so that you can reliably keep them competitive. It does nobody good to have a Magmar that will be the only Magmar you ever see, and then dump a few thousand Stardust into it, only to run out of Magmar Candy.

Beedril sucks, just like almost all bugs do in the main series, because of its low CP cap. But most Pokemon are competitive - I have used dirt-common Pidgeot and Golbat in their 700s to tear apart powerful 1000+ CP gyms full of Clefables, Vaporeons, Aerodactyls, and Snorlaxes. Yes, three or four of your guys will end the match knocked out even if you win. But potions and revives are easy to get (I regularly dispose of dozens because they clog up my bag).
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

How does a pokemon faint in Go? Whevern I get one back from defending a gym, it's at 1 HP. Pretty sure that the one time my pokemon got knocked out while attacking, it ended up with 1 HP. Haven't been able to use revives at all.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Is candy shared between types, like one fire candy can feed other fire pokemon, or is a rattata candy only ever going to feed other rattata?

If it is the latter and I don't want/care to power up a rattata then the only reason to catch them is to get exp and stardust? And how do you get candy for the rare types?

I've also had a few times where I catch something and then it resets and shows them again, and a few times where it catches them and then just sits there. I assume I haven't done anything wrong and this is just a glitch or connection/server issue.

Right now I have:
    Pidgey
    Abra
    Rattata
    Mankey
    Eevee
    Geodude
    Drowzee
    Paras
    Ponyta
    and starter bulbasaur

And of those worth putting much effort into?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Is candy shared between types, like one fire candy can feed other fire pokemon, or is a rattata candy only ever going to feed other rattata?

If it is the latter and I don't want/care to power up a rattata then the only reason to catch them is to get exp and stardust? And how do you get candy for the rare types?

I've also had a few times where I catch something and then it resets and shows them again, and a few times where it catches them and then just sits there. I assume I haven't done anything wrong and this is just a glitch or connection/server issue.

Right now I have:
    Pidgey
    Abra
    Rattata
    Mankey
    Eevee
    Geodude
    Drowzee
    Paras
    Ponyta
    and starter bulbasaur

Candy is shared between an evolution Chain.
    Drowzee Candy is used by both Drowzees and Hypnos, but nothing else.

Catching a pokemon gets you 3 candy, hatching one gets you 10.

At low levels it's generally not worth it to upgrade or evolve your pokemon, since you'll likely just catch better ones later.

The best way to level up is via a method I've heard referred to as "The Cannon", where you catch massive numbers of common pokemon like Weedles and Pidgeys, until you have enough pokemon, and candy, for about 60 evolutions. Then you use a Lucky Egg (You get one at level 10 I think), to double XP gain for the next half hour, and spend all that time Evolving your pokemon. This will cause your level to rocket up.

The game is riddled with bugs, closing and restarting it when it freezes is just part of playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #192

Rattata candy works on Rattata and Raticate. Pidgey candy works on Pidgey, Pidgeotto and Pidgeot. And so on. Pinsir candy works only on Pinsir.

You can only get candy for rare Pokemon by capturing rare Pokemon. Catching more Rattata (and evolving them into Raticate) is only really useful for EXP.

Yes, this is a glitch. Some people will say that to reduce the times the glitches happen, don't tap on the Pokemon on the map more than once (as soon as your controls along the bottom of the screen vanish, stop tapping) but this is dubious.

When the game freezes after you have thrown a ball, wait for the white Pokeball in the upper left corner to stop spinning and restart the app. Either you will have caught the Pokemon (recorded in your journal), or you'll see it on the map again.

Right now I have:
    Pidgey
    Abra
    Rattata
    Mankey
    Eevee
    Geodude
    Drowzee
    Paras
    Ponyta
    and starter bulbasaur

No, because their CP is very low. By the time you are ready to fight gyms, you'll have caught better ones.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Spoiler: More new pokemon
    Show
    There is also a thing called Hyper Training. It is a physical location in Alola, requires an item called Bottle Caps as a currency and seems to let you alter your pokemon's IV's. Which is just nuts. Apparently it only works on mon at level 100.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think that largely obiviates it for anyone outside of competative use though. For people that breed for actual teams to play in-game, that's kinda pointless.

Hell, aside from grinding up in the Gamecube games - from level 70 starts - I've never HAD a level 100 Pokemon.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    How does a pokemon faint in Go? Whevern I get one back from defending a gym, it's at 1 HP. Pretty sure that the one time my pokemon got knocked out while attacking, it ended up with 1 HP. Haven't been able to use revives at all.
    Pokemon that are defeated training at a friendly gym end up at 1 HP.
    Pokemon that are defeated while defending a gym end up at 1 HP.
    Pokemon that are defeated when assaulting an enemy gym faint.

For this reason, Revives are not terribly useful. I throw out all but 20 when I need to clear my inventory.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

15. - Top - End - #195
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Anyone know what levels you can start getting better items from Pokestops? I'm interested in stuff like extra Incense in particular, I'm still in the range of getting nothing but balls, Revives, and Potions.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Firbolg in the Playground

Somewhere around 10-12 I started to get super potions and great balls. I kind of doubt you can actually get free incense or lucky eggs from Pokéstops, though.
    Jude P.

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Anyone know what levels you can start getting better items from Pokestops? I'm interested in stuff like extra Incense in particular, I'm still in the range of getting nothing but balls, Revives, and Potions.
    Pokestops will never dispense Incense, Incubators, Lures, coins, or storage expansions. They can only ever dispense potions (up to Max), balls (up to Ultra), revives (up to Max), berries (currently Razz only), and eggs (2, 5, or 10 km).

In order to get better grade of ball or medicine, you need to have earned it as a level-up reward. So for example, you'll never get Ultra Balls from stops until you reach level 20.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2016-07-19 at 04:23 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

18. - Top - End - #198

Alright, I had bad info then, I had heard you could get Incense/Lucky Eggs from stops.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think you get a free three-use incubator every 5th level after 10?
    Jude P.

20. - Top - End - #200

Alright, I had bad info then, I had heard you could get Incense/Lucky Eggs from stops.
    The only ways to get Incense/Lucky Eggs without paying for them are:

However, good luck getting more than 10 coins per day out of gyms - it's so much easier to beat a gym than to defend it that any remotely active gym will be dethroned in minutes. I usually bust a gym and then immediately redeem the daily bonus with 1 defending Pokemon, because I'm afraid that while I go try and conquer another gym, my defender will be bumped off by OP Vaporeons.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2016-07-19 at 04:46 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

21. - Top - End - #201

Yeah, I'm nowhere near strong enough to be attacking gyms yet. I'll just have to ration my remaining Incense really carefully, and keep slowly building up my collection of birds and rats.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The only ways to get Incense/Lucky Eggs without paying for them are:

However, good luck getting more than 10 coins per day out of gyms - it's so much easier to beat a gym than to defend it that any remotely active gym will be dethroned in minutes. I usually bust a gym and then immediately redeem the daily bonus with 1 defending Pokemon, because I'm afraid that while I go try and conquer another gym, my defender will be bumped off by OP Vaporeons.
    There's a gym near my house that was held down by blue for several days earlier this week...though I think both the red and blue people who take over that gym are also employees there (the gym is in the middle of an IBM office complex...with 5 pokestops too, I wonder if productivity has gone down over there lol). Blue has more players with 1500-2000+ cp pokemon of several different types. Either way that gym is always up to at least 4 trainer slots.

Sometimes yellow players will take over the gym at night, but only ever at night, as soon as its work hours someone from Red or Blue take it back.

So you only get coins from gyms if your pokemon defeats an attacker? I was under the impression that you got coins based on the amount of time you held the gym down. Or is it both?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    So you only get coins from gyms if your pokemon defeats an attacker? I was under the impression that you got coins based on the amount of time you held the gym down. Or is it both?
    It's neither. It's just how many pokemon you have placed at gyms at the moment you collect (can collect once every 21 hours).
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

24. - Top - End - #204

And you have to defeat the gym's entire defending lineup in order to get coins from being the new defender, right?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    It's neither. It's just how many pokemon you have placed at gyms at the moment you collect (can collect once every 21 hours).
    Ahh I see, I haven't managed to put my pokemon into a gym yet (only one I've been able to approach was being camped, and my internet too slow to put anything in after defeating whoever was holding it)

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

And you have to defeat the gym's entire defending lineup in order to get coins from being the new defender, right?
    Not necessarily. You need to reduce their Prestige to zero, which is done by beating up the defending 'mon, but you don't have to knock all of them out in one try.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #207

What about existing defenders? I just took a walk down the street to a gym that was currently blue, and shoved my strongest pokemon into the #2 defender slot. Does that make me eligible for coins after the 24-hour wait period has elapsed?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

21 hours, and yes, every defender gets coins. Increase your gym's prestige! It helps your teammates.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2016-07-19 at 06:40 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

29. - Top - End - #209

But if it changes hands before that 21-hour time period, then I get nothing, from what I understand. Fingers crossed, I guess.

Never mind, I discovered that gyms pay out in the Shop Window, of all places.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2016-07-19 at 06:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    I just picked up OmegaRuby. It seems good so far.

I was really hoping to play through with some of my favs though. I don't suppose anyone would be willing to trade me a Houndour?
    You're still showing as a provisional friend on my system. Don't forget to add my friend code- 2234-7142-0224 from the spoiler list somewhere on the first page- so we can trade.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."