New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 19: Patches In All The Wrong Places

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Trump just revealed a card.

Spoiler: Hemet, Jungle Hunter
    Show
    Neutral 6/6 for 6, Battlecry destroy all cards in your deck that cost 3 or less.

I'll post my full thoughts later, but short version is that I think this will see about as much play as the first incarnation. That is, Zero.
    Actually, I'm not so sure. It's a weird spot because of spells, but it really thins your deck and ensures you don't draw weaker stuff lategame. It's still probably bad, but it's weird enough to get experimented with. Original Hemet was just regular sort of bad, and didn't encourage any particular deckbuilding strategy.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #542
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Actually, I'm not so sure. It's a weird spot because of spells, but it really thins your deck and ensures you don't draw weaker stuff lategame. It's still probably bad, but it's weird enough to get experimented with. Original Hemet was just regular sort of bad, and didn't encourage any particular deckbuilding strategy.
    Sounds like potential fun in an Astral Communion deck.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

I'm very happy to see Hemet, actually.
    He has some interesting deckbuilding aspects, and he looks like good design.

In theory, he allows you to tech the hell up against aggro, and still have good followups in the lategame.

I also don't think it'll see play, because the only matchups where you want this are the ones where a cheap draw doesn't really screw your tempo too much, and also the ones that have some chance of going to fatigue, which you now autolose. (And there are spells you still want to keep, like SW:D)

Maybe there's some deck out there that can use this as a tutor.
    Literally 20/30 cards are cheap, you Hemet and then in a couple turns you 100% have your super combo thing to close out the game.
    But still, I'm not sure it's worthless. I'm going to have to pass judgement on this one.

@Hunter deck: I can't imagine a Hunter deck without Animal Companion.
    Hunter weapons are not really 100% auto includes (Bow is autoinclude only if you're carrying secrets).
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2017-03-28 at 03:10 AM.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The main problem is that combo decks generally kinda need their 3 and less cards because you can't combo right without them. A Freeze Mage would theoretically love this card...except for it burning all their damage spells.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to separate out the "combo" portion. If the card read "discard all 3 or less minions in your deck", then we'd be cooking with gas. You put in the usual card draw minions and then use Hemet to burn that half of your deck. It would allow you to fight on the board until you were ready to push for the last few cards you need to blast them.

The way it is now, I think the times when you have all your combo pieces but still need to toss out a chunk of your deck to draw one 4-or-more card are pretty rare.

It'll be a good giggle in lategame Arena (assuming the other two Legendaries offered are crap), Tavern Brawl, and meme decks.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

So Hemet will probably be either dead in the water or meta defining. Seeing how Jade Druid is still a thing, sadly the first. Ironically if more Ungoro dinosaurs get the beast tag, old Hemet will be more playable :D
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-03-28 at 04:13 AM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I could see maybe adding new hemet to the Aviana/Kun combo deck that's already out there
    once you are at 7+ mana dropping him clears out any remaining ramp cards and lets you really charge for the big turn drops
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

7. - Top - End - #547
    Bugbear in the Playground

When considering Hemet, one of the classes/decks that may make best use of it may be... Druid.

They can ignore the consequence of "fatiguing out" if they have 1 jade idol in their hand when they pay hemet, and could theoretically even get their whole "gagetzan + jade idol spam" out way easier without filler cards. Though it'd probably be a different variation on the deck, given that deck doesn't play much at 3 mana and lower anyway. Regular Jade Druid might just be better anyway.

I also wonder about how this fares with "Kazakus" decks, and the ability to trim the fat in them for an easier time drawing your bigger stuff.

That said, updated the deck, with advice in mind, and cut some of the fat. Mostly realizing that the way the deck runs, I don't necessarily need 'value 2 drops' so much.

Spoiler: Marsh Queen v0.2
    Show

1 Mana Spells (3)
    Quest Marsh Queen x1 (1)
    Tracking (2)

1 Mana Minions (12)
    Fire Fly x2
    Glacial Shard x2
    Alleycat x2
    Fiery Bat x2
    Argent Squire x2
    Elven Archer x2
    (1 drops to consider/swap for: Stonetusk Boar, Worgn Infiltrator, Small Raptor, Weasel Tunneler, Timber Wolf)

2 Mana (3)
    Crackling Razormaw x2
    (If there's not enough beasts to facilitate these, can be swapped for Tar Creepers)
    Youthful Brewmaster
    (I think there’s enough shenanigans with this card to make it viable, but could conceivably be traded out for a tech card (like Ooze. Bounce your 1 drop for another tick of quest.)

3 Mana (6)
    Animal Companion x2
    Kill Command x2

4 Mana (2)
    Hound Master x2

5 Mana (4)
    Tol’vir Warden x2
    Tundra Rhino x2

6 Cost (2)
    Savanah Highmane x2

30/30

Also, I actually saw Small Raptor before making v0.1 of the deck, but decided to not put it in the initial shell (hear me out). The way I saw it, a 1 mana 2/1 with no upside early on isn't the best. Sure, some games it dies t2, you draw the Big Raptor t3-5 an it's "insane". Most games, this doesn't happen (not to mention those where you don't even draw it until t6+).
    Once you play your Marsh Queen, sure you have another 1 mana 4/3 in your deck, but when you draw this, that means you're not drawing a different card in your deck. Such as your 1 mana 3/2 Cycle raptor. The fewer cards you have cluttering your draws away from the Savannas and the Raptors, the better. So I'm not even fully convinced the death rattle is upside.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2017-03-28 at 06:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Also he hard-counters weasel tunneler.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

9. - Top - End - #549
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also he hard-counters weasel tunneler.
    Oh yeah. I was gonna put that card into the "optionals" for lulz. Thanks for reminding me, even if that was still in context of Hemet (he stays true to his beast hunting ways this way, though).

10. - Top - End - #550
    Colossus in the Playground

Hemet Nesingwary, famous weasel hunter.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

How about Dire wolf Alpha?

It's a weak card, yes, but you'll be stuck with a lot of sad 1-drops on the board every game, getting some extra value out of them can't hurt.

Or even, dare I say, Timber wolf?
    Like, add Timber wolf, Rat Pack, maybe even unleash ?
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Card Thoughts...

Spoiler: Small Raptor
    Show
    1 mana Hunter Rare Minion (Beast). 2/1, Deathrattle put a Raptor in your deck. Said Raptor is a 4/3 Beast for 1. They're... really pushing the 1-drop swarm quest. This makes a perfectly fine play on 2 after dropping in the quest (or on 1 without it or with the coin). I like this guy a lot, and the dude he pushes into the deck is just large enough to not be ignorable 90% of the time, and it being a 1-drop as well makes it very easy to play along with beast support or synergy (Crackling, Houndmaster, Kill Command, etc.). I'll definitely toy with him a bit, and I think it's an essential include in Quest decks.

Spoiler: King Mosh
    Show
    9 mana Warrior Legendary Minion (Beast). 9/7, Battlecry destroy all damaged minions. Whirlwind synergy on 10 is both obvious and already mentioned by almost everyone. I honestly think this guy isn't going to QUITE pass muster, too slow overall, but he might in control warrior if the big, heavy elemental decks rise to prominence.

Spoiler: Terrorscale Stalker
    Show
    3 mana Hunter Rare Minion. 3/3, Battlecry trigger a friendly minion's Deathrattle. I like this guy much more than Feign Death or Princess Huhuran, makes for something solid to do to weave in actions in the traditional dead turns (5 and 7) for Midrange hunter. I can see this legitimately seeing play, frequently targeting things like Highmane, Cairne, or even something Adapted with the deathrattle.

Spoiler: Thunder Lizard
    Show
    3 mana Neutral Common Minion (Beast). 3/3, Battlecry Adapt if you played an Elemental last turn. 3/3 for 3 with Adapt is pretty nuts. Talking about possibilities of a 6/3, 3/6, 4/4, or 3/3 with Windfury or Divine Shield. Pretty much will always have SOMETHING it wants. It also occupies an intersection between the Dino playstyle and Elemental. The problem? It is a Beast, not an Elemental itself, so it breaks the chain before getting to things like Tol'vir Stoneshaper. Still solid, and even if it doesn't end up seeing play it's a cool card.

Spoiler: Lightfused Stegadon
    Show
    4 mana Paladin Rare Minion (Beast). 3/4, Battlecry Adapt your SIlver Hand Recruits. Welp, this one looks way stronger than it is. Dealing with the little guys en masse is ridiculously easy for most enemies, and this really wants to hit 2 or more to actually be worth playing. Goes well in Wild, as stated before. I don't think this plus Stand Against Darkness will be a thing, since at 9 mana tons of solutions exist that don't much care about anything you Adapt in.

Spoiler: Hemet, Jungle Hunter
    Show
    6 mana Legendary Neutral Minion. 6/6, Battlecry destroy all cards in your deck that cost 3 or less. Some theorize a major combo deck, wherein you build using almost entirely cards with cost 3 or less, other than combo pieces, then play this as soon as you have it and the slightest breathing room (and/or appropriate tools already in hand). I don't think this has the chops to be a serious deck, though, since it depends heavily on card sequence in the deck. Trump mentioned just playing it in a normal deck, to thin out poor draws late, but most modern decks either aren't running many low drops or else don't mind playing them out in most situations. Some, such as the Oozes or Crazed Alchemist, remain important draws late.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Blazecaller
    Show
    Blazecaller 7
    Epic Neutral Minion
    Battlecry: if you played an elemental last turn, deal 5 damage.
    Elemental
    6/6

Spoiler: Servant of Kalimos
    Show
    Servant of Kalimos 5
    Rare Neutral Minion
    Battlecry: if you played an elemental last turn, discover an elemental.
    Elemental
    4/5

Spoiler: Ravenous Pterrordax
    Show
    Ravenous Pterrordax 4
    Common Warlock Minion
    Battlecry: Destroy a friendly minion to Adapt twice.
    Beast
    4/4

And Galvadon was confirmed to be
    Spoiler
    Show
    a 5 mana 5/5 beast that adapts 5 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Did... did they just sneak another 4 mana 7/7 in the game?
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Did... did they just sneak another 4 mana 7/7 in the game?

That they did.

As for Hemet, my first thought goes to Kazakus/singleton decks. Build your deck normally for cards that cost 3 or less (The early-game engine you want to draw reliably), and singleton afterwards. Then, when it's time to activate Kazakus, use Hemet to destroy all the duplicates in your deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #556
    Troll in the Playground

I think Firebat, upon looking at some cards (the ungoro rogue and warlock legend, and Finja) said something like "stop making these cards legendary!
    These are cool and fun build-around-me cards, except half the time you won't draw them and your deck sucks."

I think this also applies pretty hard to Hemet. Tons of theoretically interesting ways to build your deck, but very often you'll just not draw him and you'll just be stuck with a bad deck.
    So yeah. your wrong.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

Warlock gets 4 mana 7/7 35.5 percent of the time (if they would pick the extra attack on their first pick). As long as you can consistently sack 1/1 that card is amazing.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

18. - Top - End - #558

These are cool and fun build-around-me cards, except half the time you won't draw them and your deck sucks."
    This is why I hate the Legendary card mechanics. I get that they're in there to remove some of the pay-to-win by limiting people to just one copy of some very powerful effects, but it really increases unreliability and, since there's no limit to number of Legendaries a deck can have, doesn't really even stop the Legendary-stacking when there are multiple strong Legendaries.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Warlock gets 4 mana 7/7 35.5 percent of the time (if they would pick the extra attack on their first pick). As long as you can consistently sack 1/1 that card is amazing.
    I don't really think it's gonna be great. Having a minion to sacrifice is not exactly trivial. But still, FOUR ! MANA! SEVEN! SEVEN!
    (Read in "The Purity of the Cards" Kaiba/Kripparian voice )
    So yeah. your wrong.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    What's interesting to me is that Journey to Un'Goro seems to be designed to give at least a couple classes a reason to play cheap, weak minions.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

If a few more Warlock cards favor zoo then I could see it being a thing (though with how the quests favor discolock that seems unlikely).

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

22. - Top - End - #562
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I got the play priest cards and the deathrattle quest so I put together a deathrattle priest deck before they become fashionable in Un'Goro. I won 6 games in a row. I'm thinking I'm just getting really lucky as I'm not that clever to discover a good variant this late in the meta. I'll keep playing it until the new set shows up. Any suggestions for improvements? One thing about it is that it really fills your hand with cards.

Death Becomes Her

Mistress of Mixtures
    Pint-Sized Potion
    Potion of Madness
    Bloodmage Thalnos
    Doomsayer
    Huge Toad
    Loot Hoarder
    Museum Curator
    Shadow Word: Pain
    Brann Bronzebeard
    Kabal Courier
    Kabal Talonpriest
    Shadow Word: Death
    Auchenai Soulpriest
    Kazakus
    Shifting Shade
    Excavated Evil
    Harrison Jones
    Holy Nova
    Nexus Champion Saradd
    Raza the Chained
    Cabal Shadow Priest
    Cairne Bloodhoof
    Dragonfire Potion
    Entomb
    Justicar Trueheart
    Reno Jackson
    Sylvanas Windrunner
    Confessor Paletress
    N'Zoth, the Corruptor

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

I think Firebat, upon looking at some cards (the ungoro rogue and warlock legend, and Finja) said something like "stop making these cards legendary!
    I do think this is a good point worth considering. It seems like the Hearthstone designers have a rarity=complexity creep thing going on, so all the weirdest stuff winds up at legendary. Which sometimes makes sense for especially funky effects, but doesn't always when you've got unusual things that would make someone build around a whole strategy. Maybe they'll address that with mechanics like the quest auto-draw effect (a card that reads "always draw this on turn 5+weird effect" would be really interesting), but for the moment, it just leads to really swingy decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    What's interesting to me is that Journey to Un'Goro seems to be designed to give at least a couple classes a reason to play cheap, weak minions.
    I like this a lot, though. It makes decisions about whether to play for synergy or individual card quality important and makes it harder to determine what the best deck for a class actually is.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With the third Malone's Journal and Wonders of Un'Goro skit fully revealing Galvadon (confirming the earlier spoiler from the Japanese subtitles), Hearthhead was given the Quest itself to show off:

Spoiler: Last Kaleidosaur
    Show
    Quest: Cast 6 spells on your minions. Reward: Galvadon.

Galvadon is a 5/5 beast for 5 with Battlecry: Adapt 5 times.

It's... well, Buff Paladin has so far generally depended on under-statted minions and fair-cost buff effects. Which in a world of Jade Druid and Pirate Warrior isn't any good at all. I don't think even Galvadon is enough of a finisher to win from as far behind as the quest may set you unless they put out a few more good buffs similar to Seal of Champions.

Spoiler: Other Cards in the Journal
    Show
    Blazecaller

Neutral Epic 7 mana 6/6 Elemental, Battlecry: If you played an Elemental last turn, deal 5 damage.

Servant of Kalimos

Neutral Rare 5 mana 4/5 Elemental, Battlecry: If you played an Elemental last turn, Discover an Elemental.

Ravenous Pterrordax

Warlock Common 4 mana 4/4 Beast, Battlecry: Destroy a friendly minion to Adapt twice.

Yes, the last of those is potentially a 4 mana 7/7.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2017-03-28 at 03:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Cast 6 spells on your minions is a fairly terrible trigger for Paladin. What do they even have that they want to cast on minions?

Basic: Blessing of Might, Hand of Protection, Blessing of Kings: All decent, none fantastic. Might in particular really wants to be in a face aggro deck and nothing else.
    Core: Blessing of Wisdom, Blessed Champion: Champion is really awful, and nobody uses Wisdom since it's basically just a cycle.
    Expansions: Divine Strength, Seal of Champions, Silvermoon Portal: Strength is weak, Champions is rotating out, and Portal sometimes summons doomsayer and wrecks you.

None of these cards are consistently run. Arguably the best one is leaving standard. Maybe you could make a face aggro buff deck with Might, Protection, Kings and Strength, with Galvodon as the finisher, but that's 6/8 buff cards you need to draw from the entire deck, and I just don't think that's reliable. Unless Paladin gets some serious help from this set, I think the Paladin quest might well be the worst of the lot.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #566
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

I wonder if the Paladin quest will count spells that target minions in your hand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #567

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I wonder if the Paladin quest will count spells that target minions in your hand?
    There's no such effect; they only buff pseudorandom minions from the cards in your hand. If you're not dragging the cursor onto your target, you're not casting a spell that 'targets'.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Cast 6 spells on your minions is a fairly terrible trigger for Paladin. What do they even have that they want to cast on minions?

Basic: Blessing of Might, Hand of Protection, Blessing of Kings: All decent, none fantastic. Might in particular really wants to be in a face aggro deck and nothing else.
    Core: Blessing of Wisdom, Blessed Champion: Champion is really awful, and nobody uses Wisdom since it's basically just a cycle.
    Expansions: Divine Strength, Seal of Champions, Silvermoon Portal: Strength is weak, Champions is rotating out, and Portal sometimes summons doomsayer and wrecks you.

None of these cards are consistently run. Arguably the best one is leaving standard. Maybe you could make a face aggro buff deck with Might, Protection, Kings and Strength, with Galvodon as the finisher, but that's 6/8 buff cards you need to draw from the entire deck, and I just don't think that's reliable. Unless Paladin gets some serious help from this set, I think the Paladin quest might well be the worst of the lot.
    You could also theoretically start running Healing Touch to make defensive/buffed minions last longer, but overall I agree.

To make Galvadon Paladin work, Blizzard needs to push two things for Paladin roughly at the same time over this year: first, Paladin needs more targeted buff spells that are actually good (better than Kings/Might, which are merely fair), and/or minions that discover/tutor buff spells rather than Secrets. Second, Paladin also needs multi-summons, a lot of multi-summons. It's no good to have a hand full of buff spells if that only means you can summon a 6 mana 5/5 at best, Paladin needs to be able to consistently and constantly refill the board so that the opponent can't always clear it and keep it cleared before the buff spells can flip a minion into a powerhouse.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thialfi View Post
    deck
    Quick, random thoughts:
    Pint size potion is probably too weak in a reno deck. Too few cards it synergies with.

You also look a bit underequippe in terms of "not dying to Pirates". Since you're not running dragons, you should at least play a few of the usual counters (Ooze, rat, argus/sunfury).

The first card I'd toss is Paletress cause I am really not a fan of her.

@Paladin quest: nice, cool, and fits the class.

I'm happy it's hard, cause losing to that thing is probably very sad.
    In terms of design intent, this is probably closer to a Mimiron's head than to a Dr. Boom.
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2017-03-28 at 04:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In terms of design intent, this is probably closer to a Mimiron's head than to a Dr. Boom.
    Paladin does not need "Mimiron's Head" type cards at this point.

Though on the other hand, if you treat Galvadon as the new Anyfin, it could see some use if the rest of the deck can be built: a 9/6 Divine Shield/Stealth/Windfury Galvadon is terrifying in a deck that contains Blessed Champion. Adapting 5 times means it's very hard to not get some kind of horrific face-eating monster, you just need the opportunity to throw it down when your opponent can't hit it with a big enough spell that gets around Stealth or shroud.