New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IX

He started to turn back towards the hostel, blinking back tears, then stopped. "Rhadegund, Bertelis I know I haven't been fair to you. I don't even know if I'll still be alive in a few days time."
    “How would it be different if you were dead?” Rhadegund demanded, her voice cracking a little. “We wouldn’t hear from you either way!”

Without another word, she turned and stormed off into the darkened village. Bertelis remained behind, seemingly dumbstruck. He’d always been less confident with words than the older of Adelbert’s initiates.

“She’s just upset,” he said at last. He took a long pause. “Can I come with you?”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Going to move the thread on at this point for the sake of the rest of the party, since I’m not making a very regular posting schedule at the moment. Please do timesplit the rest of this interaction.

Marktag, 14th Sommerzeit

Two days’ march on the Thornwood road brought them back to Manann’s Keep at last. The sky remained clear, and the summer heat was intense despite the shade of the trees.

Astoria had not seen the town before, and so the appearance of its titular keep came as something of a surprise. It barely looked like a fortress at all – more like some nobleman’s folly, a tilted pile of wood painstakingly constructed to resemble a ship. Though some measures had clearly been taken to make sure the structure was defensible, she felt sure that no true tactician would ever sanction such an indulgence.

The Iron Company garrison that had been left behind was no bigger than Carraciolo had said – mostly men with a fair few scars and at least a little grey in their hair. Their de facto leader was a soldier called Domenico. He welcomed them into the fort’s small courtyard, just as eager for news from the north as the Painford villagers had been. Of Hakon and his band, there was no sign.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-10-24 at 08:04 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

Marktag, 14th Sommerzeit

The heat seemed a much more bearable without the weight of her armour on. Astoria remembered well travelling through the Karst to meet Dolokhov and how miserable that was.

Manaan's Keep was, simply put, a disappointment.

Astoria had been thoroughly expecting stone fortifications. A gate. Anything but this.

"Perhaps we can...bolster the defenses somewhat before Hakon and the others arrive? I'm not sure what yet...but anything is better than this." Astoria muttered to Elsa as they approached.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-10-25 at 04:13 AM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

"If we can't stop them by outnumbering them two to one, we can't stop them with a taller wall." Ludo said. "We should go and check the book... actually, I should go and check the book. Elsa should go to a random spot in the forest and pretend to check on it there, in case someone's watching us."

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Painford

Adelbert smiled proudly at Bertelis and tousled the boys hair. "Brave lad. But I want you to stay here. It's too dangerous for you to go. Besides," he lowered his voice to a confidential whisper. "I need you to look after Rhadegund. As you said she's upset. How much more upset will she be if you leave too? I'll be back as soon as I can I promise."

He looked in the direction Rhadegund had walked off. "I'll be back soon," he repeated.

Marktag, 14th Sommerzeit

Adelbert had rather expected never to have seen Mannan's Keep again. He eyed the village thoughtfully, then noticed Astoria's expression. "I suppose it doesn't compare to the Alcázar of Magritta does it Caballera Astoria d'Evangesisti?" Adelbert said. He turned again to the strange ship-fortress and looked sad a moment. "I met the man who built it. I hope he finds more happiness in Morr's domain than he did in life."

Clearing his throat the priest said: "While you are looking after the book I am going to visit the priest in residence. A Brother Grigore bif I recall correctly."

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    "We should go and check the book... actually, I should go and check the book. Elsa should go to a random spot in the forest and pretend to check on it there, in case someone's watching us."
    "I don't think it's wise for me to go wandering off into the woods," Elsa pointed out, "especially if someone's watching us." At any rate, she was doubtful that Klammenberg and the Norscans would have either the ability or the time to gather intelligence before they attempted an attack. Doing so would only risk exposing them and robbing them of the advantage of surprise they thought they had. "Do check on the book, though. Well... open the door and see if the box is still there. Go no closer or you'll set off my alarm spell and I'll have to go cast it again and I'll be annoyed with you."

She gave Domenico a quick report on Sforza's northern campaign and the current situation in the Uplands, and told him about Hakon's party. "Might be best if they don't know we beat them there," she added. "It'll allow us to spring a surprise when it's too late for them to retreat."

She did not want the Norscans making a tentative raid and pulling back with most of their forces intact once they found they were at a disadvantage. It was here in Manann's Keep, she decided, that the Norscan menace would be dealt with once and for all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

”No…I suppose you are correct, though I believe we should at least seal up a few of the ways inside so we can, hopefully, filter them into a more manageable location.” Astoria replied to Ludo with a small shrug.

The Estalian looked somewhat bemused as she glanced to Adelbert. ”No…no, it is not. I do not mean that in any judgemental way, mind you. But I had assumed something a bit closer in mind to its namesake. At least some real walls.”

”Do you wish for me to accompany you, Master Stubbs, to check on the book?”

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

Domenico accompanied Ludo and Astoria down to the cellar where they had safeguarded the book. One very bored-looking Tilean was guarding the door; unlocking it, they saw that the box was still locked and undisturbed, the faint lines of Elsa's spell still just about visible on the packed earth floor.

Adelbert, meanwhile, found Grigore where he might have expected, in the old temple to Manann that Evatt had built beside the diverted stream. The Azrillite received him cordially, offering him food and ale after his journey. He seemed to have taken on a servant from the townspeople - an old man with a sour expression - and was keeping the place moderately clean, with a small shrine to Azriller now occupying one wall of the too-large structure.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't need to wait for me to make these interstitial posts RossN - if you want to find an NPC and you have no reason to believe they'll be hard to find, you can cut straight to talking to them.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground

"I will admit to a certain....curiosity about this book." Astoria murmured as she saw the faintly glowing remnants of Elsa's magic warding the chest that this unholy tome was contained within.

"Perhaps when the threat is neutralized, I could convince Elsa to let me have a look. Not to read it, mind you....I am unsure I would be able to make even heads or tails of it." The knight had never seen a book of magic, let alone a tome of such wicked power.

"Master Stubbs, you have seen the book first hand? Is it as vile as I am led to believe?"

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo nodded. "We're not going to open the box."

Returning to the surface and finding Elsa, he found it hard not to feel a certain sense of anticlimax. "What now? Just wait for them to turn up?"

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground

Like Ludo, Elsa had never expected to be playing the waiting game. "I'd say it's the best thing we can do," she said slowly. "We can fight them off more easily from behind walls. If we go out and look for them, we might get ambushed."

She hoped nothing was amiss. They wanted the book, did they not? So they would come for it.

"We'll have to make sure the fort looks woefully unprepared for an attack. Maybe even leave the gates open, as in peacetime. We want them to attempt a frontal assault; it's our best chance of beating them. Otherwise they might attempt something harder to counter, like taking hostages."

She remembered all too well the witch hunter and his men. Things had been messy, and could easily have been messier still.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-10-27 at 04:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

11. - Top - End - #1241

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert found himself uncomfortable in the shrine, despite Grigore's welcome. He was quite happy to accept Azriller as a deity - was not his own Averland home to Altaver, Dehagli, Margileo, Forsagh, Gunndred and Sheirrich? - but seeing a shrine dedicated to one god seized and made the provenance of another left him ill at ease. This had been Mannan's home in the Reaches.

"How is your flock Brother Grigore?" He asked, idly looking at the shrine of the river goddess in the corner.

Now that he was actually here and no desperate battle against the Norscans had taken place Adelbert found himself strangely at a loose end. "Have you had any... ahem... unusual dreams lately. Or feelings? Omens?"

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

”Perhaps we could have a few of Sforza’s soldiers begin to gather a sturdy cart of some kind? If we make it look as if we are preparing to move the book, perhaps it will force their hand and prompt them to come for it sooner?”

Astoria frowned thoughtfully for a moment.

”Or…it could make them decide to wait for the book to be on the move…”

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

"I wouldn't advise it," said Elsa, "as it'll tip them off that we know they're coming. Best act like we don't even know they're down here in the Vale. They can't linger in these parts too long, anyway. People know a Norscan when they see one."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

"So, we just wait, and hope that when they come, we catch them?"

It wasn't terribly satisfying to Ludo, but at least meant he would get a moment's rest before anything happened.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-10-29 at 06:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

"So, we just wait, and hope that when they come, we catch them?"

"Look, the castle is a mouse trap with the bait already in it," said Elsa, a bit annoyed at Ludo's dismissive tone. "My plan involves far less unknowns than going on the offensive or forcing them to think of something creative. I'm not saying it'll be easy, but if we let them come, we're the ones who get to decide the rules of engagement."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

"How is your flock Brother Grigore?" He asked, idly looking at the shrine of the river goddess in the corner.
    "My flock?" said Grigore. "I think you mistake me, brother - I'm a monk, not a preacher. Unless you mean the Captain and his men?" He toyed with the hem of his sleeve. "I've seen nothing so far in their treatment of the book that I feel would concern the our conclave more than its mere existence already does... but I must admit, I still feel something of an outsider here."

"Have you had any... ahem... unusual dreams lately. Or feelings? Omens?"
    Grigore just looked puzzled. "No," he said. "Have you?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't have any better ideas." Ludo said hurriedly. "I'm just worried. Think about how many battles Alvarr lost because he didn't know what you and your raven could do. We can set the rules of engagement but what if Klammenberg can raise the dead or turn into smoke or something?"

18. - Top - End - #1248

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert stroked his goatee thoughtfully. "I see... well thank you for everything you have done. I advise you to keep your eyes and ears open Brother Grigore. There may be sinister parties trying to steal it. Unfortunately I cannot tell you more but if you do see or hear of anything suspicious in town please come and tell me. I'll be staying at The Star of Marienburg."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I'm ready to move on whenever the others are ready.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

"If this Klammenberg can raise the dead or turn into smoke, then we will deal with it as best we can." Astoria said firmly. "We do not have much of a choice in the matter. I do not like waiting on the Norscans any more than you, Master Stubbs, but I am unsure if we have an alternative."

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa nodded in agreement with Astoria. "We can't plan for the unknown. At best, we put ourselves in a position where we control most of the things we do know about. We know and control this castle, for a start."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Needless to say, I plan for us to be ready at all times, despite the castle looking unprepared from the outside. Save for a few lookouts (including Morrslieb), most of us should remain on the ground floor of the castle and avoid going out. I suggest we get most of our sleep during the day, as any attack will most likely come at night, but there should always be some of us awake at any given time.

Is there a portcullis, and can it be lowered from someplace other than right next to it, e.g. a lever or pulley on the floor above it? Would be useful to trap any attackers.

Of course it's always possible they'll attempt something other than an assault... We must pay attention to any reports of suspicious activity in the Manann's Keep area.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-10-30 at 05:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Titan in the Playground

Konigstag, 17th Sommerzeit

The days passed slowly behind the crooked wooden walls of Evatt’s fort, Elsa’s plan to lie low denying them much in the way of means to pass the time. In between standing watch and dealing with the townspeople who came and went from the fort, Domenico and the Iron Company men played cards and gossiped in Tilean about their new guests.

Adelbert attracted his fair share of notice once the soldiers who remembered him had pointed him out to the others, but the majority of their attention was focused on Astoria. Naturally eye-catching enough, the stories that Elsa’s guards had brought back of her battle with the Jarl only seemed to make her more fascinating to the bored pikemen, and they frequently tried to coerce one another into approaching her through the stakes of their card games.

The others had few thoughts to spare for the mercenaries’ idle games. Each day, their eyes were on the horizon – the ragged edge of the Thornwood that reached in from the west, or the deep slash of green to the north where the Vale ran up into the rocks of the Karst. There had been no sign of Hakon or Klammenberg for two full days since their arrival, and Adelbert was beginning to worry whether they were coming at all.

The heat had not let up. Though clouds were gathering over the Dead Hills, it still stubbornly refused to rain. The trilling chorus of insects in the dry fields outside the town kept Elsa awake at night – or at least, she hoped that was the reason. A deep feeling of unease had settled over her ever since she had stepped back inside the gates of the fort, a sensation of creeping dread that was all too easy to ascribe to her proximity to the book. It hadn’t made her feel this way in the months before the war – so was this a change in the book, or in her? She wished the Norscans would just attack and take her mind off such questions.

On Konigstag, it finally looked like she might get her wish. Shortly after sunset, a shout from one of the men on watch brought the others rushing up to the parapet. A ragged procession of torches was emerging from the very edge of the woods north of the town, coming closer along the road from Handrich’s Cross. It looked like around twenty men, give or take a few – more than just the Norscans for certain.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For those who don’t remember, here’s the layout of Manann’s Keep:

Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa's mind raced as she considered the approaching men. She was no tactician. Several of the soldiers by her side were no doubt much better versed in the art of war, so she felt reluctant to give direct orders.

"If we close the gate... what are the chances they'll turn on the civilian population? Because I'd rather allow them inside than leave them free rein to sack the town."

She had a bad feeling about this. Why were they coming with torches, instead of stealthily? She squinted at the approaching force, trying to discern if any looked like prisoners.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-11-03 at 11:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #1253

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert took up position beside Elsa, his face pale. He'd all but forgotten about Handrich's Cross and now a disturbing idea was crossing his mind. "I know the people of Handrich's Cross; I can go to the bridge and see if it is them." And if it is them if they are still alive, the priest thought darkly.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo shook his head. "And if it is the Norscans, they'll butcher you where you stand. Let them get to the bridge and stop them at the edge of the town, see who they are."

He turned around on the prow of the parapet and began scanning the edges of the forest, wondering if he would see any others emerging while their attention was distracted.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception vs 48: [roll]1d100/roll], with Ludo having Night Vision.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo could make out no movement against the dark mass of the forest - just the shadowy lump that was the overgrown wreck of the Manann's Blessing, and the torches on the north road, coming closer.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last call if you guys want to try to stop them/meet them at the bridge.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #1256

BlackDragon

Adelbert

"I'm sure you can come up with a military plan but if some of are going to meet them at the bridge I should be down there. Verena can give me insight into any mystical activities might be involved. I'll wear a helm or hood just so they don't know who I am." Adelbert paused, expression uncomfortable. "Also don't forget Sanne is on our side... sort of... so try not to bring a fireball down on her head."

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll do my best," Elsa answered Adelbert, "but it'll be a bit dark."

Another hostage situation. And an avoidable one. Oh, this'll be a mess, I can tell. But not as much as letting Klammenberg take the book. Speaking of Klammenberg, is he even among them?

Her gaze became distant as she tried to picture all of the Manann's Keep area. "The castle gate is out of view of the Norscans, so we can still leave the castle without them seeing us. I'll take a dozen men who are quick on their feet. No metal armor; it'll just slow us down and reflect moonlight. We'll take the south bridge and catch the Norscans by surprise from the side. The rest will meet the Norscans at the north bridge and try to parlay. Stall as much as you can. I'll have Morrslieb watch from the roof of the temple to keep me informed, but he can't see or understand everything." She turned to the halfling. "Ludo? Will you be meeting the Norscans? If you see a very good reason why we must not attack, act nervous and take off your hat. Morrslieb will let me know if you do. Then we'll regroup at the castle. Otherwise... when I start flinging fireballs, better be ready."

She looked grim. "If the Norscans have hostages, we can't lose a second when battle is joined. The seal-f*ckers need to be more focused on fighting for their lives than killing their prisoners."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

Konigstag, 17 Sommerzeit

The passage of time was slow for Astoria who was counting down each and every hour that passed – so close to being able to remove her sling and find herself in better spirits. But it seemed that Ranald had not sought to bless them with good fortune.

As the cry went up, Astoria swiftly found Elsa and the others, eyeing the procession of torches warily.

”I would not put it past the Norscan’s to butcher the populace if they thought it could lure us out.” Astoria said with a frown to Elsa’s concern about closing the gate.

The knight took a few moments to survey the approach to the keep as best as she could. It wasn’t the first time she had done so across their stay, but hope was still there that she could find something that would help them in this situation.

"It seems a sound plan, for the most part. I fear what trickery they have up their sleeves."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Would it be feasible for Astoria to get her breastplate on, in the very least? I’m not relishing the idea of fighting them with no protection – especially since she can’t very well wield her shield at the moment.

Also…

Strategy/Tactics
    (1d100)[81]

Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-11-05 at 12:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

"Right, yes." Ludo said. He took a deep breath. "And if I drop my hat, that means you need to attack right away, as fast as you can."

"Anyone not with her, with me. Adelbert, put your hood up and stay at the back of the group, we need you to tell us if Klammenberg is there if we can't see."

He started to head towards the bridge, pausing for a second. "Good luck Elsa, Astoria."

30. - Top - End - #1260

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert pulled the hood of his cloak over his head. "Sigmar and Verena watch over us all." He glanced at Astoria and Ludo and smiled. "Myrmidia and Esmerlda too for that matter."

Turning back to Elsa he said: "Good hunting my friend."

Then he followed Ludo.