New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIV: Ask Vit a Bit More Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I'm pretty sure Tarvek was born with that dial on '13'. It'd take differential calculus equations to express where he's at now.
    Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    You have to be as a Sturmvorous. You'll get assassinated in the womb otherwise.
    He uses the Sturmvorous dial, where a setting of '1' corresponds to "I just saw you try to kill me" and goes up from there. His "11" is roughly equivalent to Agatha's 12341458158092138401985091850918243509182509285309 18350981350981329581230958102938985301923859012835 0912835098123508.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Do you really doubt that the Foglios would pass up any opportunity to add extra drama and extend the story by another 80 pages? Clearly, everything Agatha needs will be conveniently missing and/or destroyed. This is the story that never ends.
    Now, now, this story has an actual ending, much like OOTS does. There's an overall plot, predetermined pacing order (which locations to go to, what has to happen in each, etc), and while the details may finagle a little (move 8 pages from the end of one book to the beginning of the next), it does have a wrap up.

Adding 80 pages? Sure, that's half a book.

Adding 380 pages and a full book? Without advancing the plot? That critique belongs in a different castle comic forum.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Now, now, this story has an actual ending, much like OOTS does. There's an overall plot, predetermined pacing order (which locations to go to, what has to happen in each, etc), and while the details may finagle a little (move 8 pages from the end of one book to the beginning of the next), it does have a wrap up.

Adding 80 pages? Sure, that's half a book.

Adding 380 pages and a full book? Without advancing the plot? That critique belongs in a different castle comic forum.
    Are we picking on Erfworld now? Because it sounds like we are picking on Erfworld. Or the "everybody gets sick" arc from the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

This is interesting. I can't find an Internet definition of exactly what a Scoundrel's Tea is.

5. - Top - End - #185

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    This is interesting. I can't find an Internet definition of exactly what a Scoundrel's Tea is.
    It seems to be tea without etiquette rules.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    What? You don't trust the character who was introduced and instructed specifically to seduce Agatha? Good heavens!
    Oh, he's up to no good. But, there's distrusting him as being loyal to Albia first and not really caring about Agatha and there's distrusting him the way we distrust Tweedle or wondering if he's working for the Other or himself or if he's responsible for the dead bodies or maybe something I haven't even thought of.

Put another way: Is up to no good? Or is he up to some pure evil? Or even just low good content evil?

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    There are a few divergences between our world and the Girl Genius setting. Scoundrel's Tea appears to be one of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #188

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Oh, he's up to no good. But, there's distrusting him as being loyal to Albia first and not really caring about Agatha and there's distrusting him the way we distrust Tweedle or wondering if he's working for the Other or himself or if he's responsible for the dead bodies or maybe something I haven't even thought of.

Put another way: Is up to no good? Or is he up to some pure evil? Or even just low good content evil?
    To be fair, there are other legitimate viewpoints besides Agatha's. It is not fair to call everyone who opposes her "evil". I think it's fair to call The Other evil, but people The Other has deceived (i.e., the Geisterdamen) may not be evil, just wrong. Albia may put the security of England ahead of all other considerations; as Queen, she should, even if that's at cross-purposes to Agatha. The Jagers are fanatically loyal to Agatha, but that doesn't make them Good by most alignment tests.

So I think what we're wondering about Rakethorn is what sort of anti-Agatha is he?
    1. He enjoys seducing pretty girls and getting paid by the Queen to do so is just icing on the cake
    2. He serves the Queen loyally with his particular set of skills
    3. He's serving some other master than Albia
    4. He's actually an evil mastermind with his own agenda

(1) through (3) the question of "How evil is Rakethorn" is dependent upon the question of "How evil is the person he serves?". I have my doubts about Albia being benign; and as noted above, even if she is just protecting England to the best of her ability in a dangerous world, well, I've read The Prince and understand just how far one can travel down that path.

It would be an interesting plot twist if Rakethorn actually served Grandma Sturmvorous. No evidence supports that, of course, just spitballing about #3.

9. - Top - End - #189

I suspect if he serves someone besides Albia, it will be the same conspiracy as Lady Steelgarter. We've already had the multiple conspiracy pile-up storyline.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Which makes me wonder if either Albia is less infallible than she presents herself, or if she's playing the same game as the Master of Paris and letting conspiracies run to dissuade genuine threats against her rule. The Foglios made a big deal of emphasizing that going against her wishes is 'literally unthinkable', and we later saw with Vapnoople that it apparent involves mind-reading at the minimum (no evidence yet of outright mind control). Something in England she doesn't know about seems highly unlikely.

11. - Top - End - #191

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Which makes me wonder if either Albia is less infallible than she presents herself, or if she's playing the same game as the Master of Paris and letting conspiracies run to dissuade genuine threats against her rule. The Foglios made a big deal of emphasizing that going against her wishes is 'literally unthinkable', and we later saw with Vapnoople that it apparent involves mind-reading at the minimum (no evidence yet of outright mind control). Something in England she doesn't know about seems highly unlikely.
    There's two ways to deal with Albia's mind reading - a Professor Snape level of self-control, or never be interesting enough that she turns her mind-reading power in your direction. Rakethorn might be practicing the second form of deception.

Being the playboy Spark who isn't very smart might make Albia ignore him; at her age, it's possible that she finds hypersexual people tiresome. She is presumably not a virgin queen a la Elizabeth I, so imagine how many times she's had sex over hundreds of years. Also, I think that her natural size is now thirty or forty feet tall, and coming down to mortal size requires some effort. Our Albia may have reached the point where sex is a tiresome bother, in which case reading the mind of a "playboy" would be tedium.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I suspect if he serves someone besides Albia, it will be the same conspiracy as Lady Steelgarter. We've already had the multiple conspiracy pile-up storyline.
    Isn't that the entire comic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    There's two ways to deal with Albia's mind reading - a Professor Snape level of self-control, or never be interesting enough that she turns her mind-reading power in your direction. Rakethorn might be practicing the second form of deception.

Being the playboy Spark who isn't very smart might make Albia ignore him; at her age, it's possible that she finds hypersexual people tiresome. She is presumably not a virgin queen a la Elizabeth I, so imagine how many times she's had sex over hundreds of years. Also, I think that her natural size is now thirty or forty feet tall, and coming down to mortal size requires some effort. Our Albia may have reached the point where sex is a tiresome bother, in which case reading the mind of a "playboy" would be tedium.
    And you are basing that on ?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Don't we know Rakethorn's Agenda? Albia sent him to seduce Agatha (In more ways than one), and get her to stay in England as a member of Albia's "Garden". Did I miss something for why we're speculating he's part of some anti-Albia conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #194

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Don't we know Rakethorn's Agenda? Albia sent him to seduce Agatha (In more ways than one), and get her to stay in England as a member of Albia's "Garden". Did I miss something for why we're speculating he's part of some anti-Albia conspiracy.
    Our suspicion dials got turned up to 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Wait. Higgs was in the first panel, and then he disappeared? Does anyone recognize the guy in the doorway who Higgs seems to find rather interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    There are a few divergences between our world and the Girl Genius setting. Scoundrel's Tea appears to be one of these.
    Actually I found internet references to Scoundrel's Tea. But no explanation as to what it is.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

They mention on This Page about Royal Princess's so Albia must have had kids some time.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

17. - Top - End - #197

Or she adopted. But just because she is interested in sex sometimes doesn't mean that this is one of those times.

18. - Top - End - #198

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Are we picking on Erfworld now? Because it sounds like we are picking on Erfworld. Or the "everybody gets sick" arc from the castle.
    Of course we're picking on ErfWorld. A once-great comic that has lost it's way.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

19. - Top - End - #199

Great? Not really. Good and entertaining, yes, but it was never great.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

This will end with fire.
    Fire and loads of dead bodies.
    But as long as everybody keeps their hats everything will turn out fine.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

21. - Top - End - #201
    Colossus in the Playground

But violetta left the room still alive. And is likely tracking madame 4 arms. This could get complicated. Violetta is trying to be discreet, zeetha and the jaegers are... whats the opposite of discreet? Yeah, this could cause issues.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    But violetta left the room still alive.
    It doesn't actually say that? One of the options Zeetha offered was that Violetta was being carried by the other participant in the fight, which still leaves the window open for "killed and body dumped elsewhere". My own suspicion is that Lady Steelgarter didn't look in any state to be carrying bodies for long distances, but the possibility can't be discounted.

23. - Top - End - #203

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Isn't that the entire comic?

And you are basing that on ?
    Describe for me other mechanisms of not having your mind read by someone who can do so at will. I'll entertain them. Starting with "Sparky device that shields your mind and supplies innocent thoughts for her to read", which would be a stretch, but GG allows for "magic".

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It doesn't actually say that? One of the options Zeetha offered was that Violetta was being carried by the other participant in the fight, which still leaves the window open for "killed and body dumped elsewhere". My own suspicion is that Lady Steelgarter didn't look in any state to be carrying bodies for long distances, but the possibility can't be discounted.
    Vi left with Steelgarter. She didn't arrive at Eyeball's door with Steelgarter. If Steelgarter carried her, then she must have dumped her someplace, in one of the secret tunnels, and quickly - carrying a body through the halls might attract suspicion. I think it's more likely that Steelgarter thought she had killed Vi, but Vi followed her. The boyz don't seem to think that Vi was dead, and I do believe Jagers know dead when they smell it.

24. - Top - End - #204

Vi left with Steelgarter. She didn't arrive at Eyeball's door with Steelgarter.
    She didn't arrive openly. Since she's a Smoke Knight, she could have been standing right there listening to the whole conversation.

As for today's comic, geez Phil, what are you doing to poor Maxim's face?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

It's worth noting that all four of these characters worked together and got to know each other pretty well during the 2.5 years Agatha was in transit. Naturally they're a team.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Wild speculation: It would appear Lady Steelgarter's four armed (if not fore-warned) nature is confusing the Jagers and Zeetha as to how many combatants there were in the fight. But what if it's not? What if there was a third participant who joined the fight, either invisibly or later on? And that's why Violetta is still alive even though Lady S thinks she's dead, and why she can't be found. Because the third participant - who might have been a lady, too - saved her, picked her up, and took her with her.

We'll see.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Lets say 1½? :P

And its not certain organic samples can be used. Actually its likely they cant. Or else a few hair should have been both enough, and easy to get.
    Nah, hair is replaced quickly, and Lady Steelgarter is safe to assume that Zeetha cut her hair at some point after leaving Skifander. Most other tissues are replaced at a rate that would make it impossible to be used, true.

But there are some that should work: Tooth enamel, brain matter, and certain tendons.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Describe for me other mechanisms of not having your mind read by someone who can do so at will. I'll entertain them. Starting with "Sparky device that shields your mind and supplies innocent thoughts for her to read", which would be a stretch, but GG allows for "magic".
    You are assuming she does it at will and it's not an additional passive sense she can't shut off anymore than than I shut my hearing off. You are assuming she can deciphers actual thoughts* rather than estimate intellectual capabilities. You are also assuming it is in fact possible to resist it by self control when it may not. She may be able to perceives someone's general character like Om in Small Gods or she may not. All we know right now is that she can "see" minds which is pretty unclear.

*Which is a pretty tall order, I don't know about you but my stream of consciousness tends to jump between subjects, memories, intentions, feelings, half-formed sentences, etc. I'd be surprised if anyone monitoring my thoughts at a random time would get anything useful.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #208

Welp, that's it for this dome.

29. - Top - End - #209

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You are assuming she does it at will and it's not an additional passive sense she can't shut off anymore than than I shut my hearing off. You are assuming she can deciphers actual thoughts* rather than estimate intellectual capabilities. You are also assuming it is in fact possible to resist it by self control when it may not. She may be able to perceives someone's general character like Om in Small Gods or she may not. All we know right now is that she can "see" minds which is pretty unclear.

*Which is a pretty tall order, I don't know about you but my stream of consciousness tends to jump between subjects, memories, intentions, feelings, half-formed sentences, etc. I'd be surprised if anyone monitoring my thoughts at a random time would get anything useful.
    Review the Vapnoople sequence starting here. She certainly seems to be making an effort to see his mind (it's not a passive always on sense), she can tell his mind has been disassembled, and she "detects no malice in him whatsoever", which may not count as reading his thoughts but for purposes of knowing Rakethorn was up to no good would be effective. She can also see that Gil is speaking truthfully. Note: Gil. As in one of the most powerful Sparks alive, and she knows it, and yet is confident she can trust what he's saying.

For purposes of Rakethorn getting away with plotting against Albia, she can detect malice, she can detect lies; he's either got some way of fooling her abilities, or he's managed to avoid her notice. Or, of course, he's not trying to betray her at all and need not fear these abilities.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    As for today's comic, geez Phil, what are you doing to poor Maxim's face?
    Oh, come on! This is England! He's got a cold!

EDIT: Oops! That's Dimo...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2018-09-12 at 01:47 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee