New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVI: If it Ain't Broke, Nerf It

Joke list I'm planning on taking to a thing is 4 Warglaives and 2 Helverins at 1K points.

It's just enough to fit all that in as well. It'll be hillarious.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I asked and the general consensus was "because she's cool". I think we might be getting into subjective stuff here.
    Yep. Great. What makes her cool? Explain it to me. Which part(s) of the model is cool? An opinion means nothing to me unless it's explained to me how someone formed that opinion. How do I get to where they're at, so I'm in a position to want to buy Raine, as well? The advertisement didn't work on me. But it did on others. Why?

Has anyone read the book? Tell me about her. No. Because the book was released on the same day she was. I love 40K. But I'm still not going to even buy Honourbound for at least another month, let alone read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    But, purchasing a limited model of a lore-focused female Commissar is a show of solidarity with GW saying "yes, I'll buy this because I like what it represents and what you're trying to do".
    ...But that's the thing. They did it in the worst way possible.
    The other thing, and I hate to break this to you, but Brands and Corporations are not your friend. The exact same corporation that is selling you a female model, is selling said model at more-than-twice the price of normal, and in resin, and with rules that are terrible.

What you're supposed to do, is sell the novel. If the novel is killer and people love it, six months later you start working on the model and when it comes out she flies off the shelf.
    You also try a little bit harder than not-at-all to make the model stand out as a unique character piece.

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Why would anyone buy Eisenhorn?
    Because he's a kick-ass model, that can be use as a solid conversion base for pretty much anything you can think of, just in case his rules are terrible (they are). The Eisenhorn model can't be replicated. You either buy it, or you're done, as far as replicating that cool coat goes. Inquisitors can be slotted in to almost any <Imperium> army, so the 'net' for customer demand is wider. So even if you don't want Eisenhorn for Eisenhorn, you still get a kick-ass Inquisitor that you can use.
    The lore that his model represents constitutes three novels that were critically and commercially acclaimed, released and re-released constantly for over a decade. Numbers don't lie. If you read 40K, one of the first things anyone will tell you to read is Eisenhorn. I don't agree with that. But that's how much people love the books.
    For the price of the resin kit...At least you get two fairly unique models. Besides, the real options for Inquisitors and a Daemonhost are also resin. So either way, you have to be happy with it.

That's why people bought the model. I agree with all of those things even if...

Ew, a resin model? And his rules aren't even that good
    ...I didn't buy the model myself.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Admiral View Post
    Joke list I'm planning on taking to a thing is 4 Warglaives and 2 Helverins at 1K points.
    You can take 9-10 Armigers & Guilliman, at 2K. It's just as dumb as it sounds. Either you wont get games at all, or you'll be tabled in three turns.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-02-25 at 05:26 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    ...But that's the thing. They did it in the worst way possible.
    The other thing, and I hate to break this to you, but Brands and Corporations are not your friend. The exact same corporation that is selling you a female model, is selling said model at more-than-twice the price of normal, and in resin, and with rules that are terrible.
    Well like I said, I'm not buying it. And even if I still had my Guard, I probably wouldn't get it.

I mentioned before, while I appreciate what they're doing, it's obviously calculated and not really from a place of altruism, just like any other ad, social media post, or publicity stunt that any company makes. I get that. But for some people, a token publicity stunt is better than nothing, and by supporting it they tell the company that they will support further publicity stunts.

If no one buys her because she has bad rules and is finecast, then some yahoo in marketing might take the low sales as "no one wants female single release models, make another Primaris Lieutenant". We all want to believe that they would be more savvy than that, but it's not guaranteed. At the very least, selling out of her indicates to GW that future singular female Heroes might sell just as well, and for people who want more, that's important enough to drop the dosh on. Or to encourage them to even just write more into books like they did with this one.

Either way, you asked for a reason that people might want to buy it. I'm just providing it. Many people buy models for reasons other than rules, and don't like to kitbash from 3rd parties. I can empathize with that.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If no one buys her because she has bad rules and is finecast, then some yahoo in marketing might take the low sales as "no one wants female single release models, make another Primaris Lieutenant". We all want to believe that they would be more savvy than that, but it's not guaranteed.
    Celestine was sold out every other month at my store, and she costs almost two thirds again on top of what Raine does. I couldn't tell you if her slow-down in sales was because of the nerf, or because after 2 years, she's reached 'peak saturation', and everyone who wants her, has her, and as a Unique model, nobody needs more than one.

Callidus Assassins are frequently sold out...And they cost about the same as Raine does, now. People at my store are (apparently) going to line up this week when the store's stock comes in, because the store only gets 1 per week, so it's first come, first serve. The Blackshirt tried to tell people that they can just order it online. You can even pay for and have it delivered to the store! It's almost like you bought it from the store anyway, support your local, amirite?

I don't think the clam-pack of Greyfax has moved since she was unshackled from Celestine, the model people really wanted put on the shelf.

Celestine and the Callidus share something in common, that Greyfax doesn't have.

Either way, you asked for a reason that people might want to buy it.
    But you didn't buy it. Whatever you like about the model, was over-ridden by what you don't like about the model. You're on my side.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-02-25 at 05:27 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Celestine was sold out every other month at my store, and she costs almost two thirds again on top of what Raine does.
    Callidus Assassins are frequently sold out...And they cost about the same as Raine does, now.

I don't think the single-release clam-pack of Greyfax has moved since it was put on the shelf.

But you didn't buy it. Whatever you like about the model, was over-ridden by what you don't like about the model. You're on my side.
    Well most of the reason I didn't buy it is because I don't really play 40k anymore and when I do, I don't play that army. I also didn't buy the new Kill Team box with the Kelermorph even though that's a super dope model, that doesn't mean I'm on the side of disliking it.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

GSC FAQ is out

no more infinite mortals and vect strat nerfed.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    GSC FAQ is out

no more infinite mortals and vect strat nerfed.
    Actually, apparently the first upload was a WIP. The "final" version doesn't cap the mortal wounds machine. Now there are two versions floating around.

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/w...r_cults_en.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well most of the reason I didn't buy it is because I don't really play 40k anymore and when I do, I don't play that army.
    Incorrect. You don't support lore-focused female models.
    By not buying Raine, you are telling GW that you don't want female models. That's how it works, right?

that doesn't mean I'm on the side of disliking it.
    If you didn't dislike it, you'd buy it.
    It's almost like there are circumstances around the Kellermorph, not related to the Kellermorph itself, that causes you not to buy it.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-02-25 at 05:29 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Incorrect. You don't support lore-focused female models.
    By not buying Raine, you are telling GW that you don't want female models. That's how it works, right?
    That is absolutely not how it works.

If you didn't dislike it, you'd buy it.
    No I can like a model, but knowing I'll never use it, save my money.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That is absolutely not how it works.
    Pretty sure it is.

No I can like a model, but knowing I'll never use it, save my money.
    Nope. If you don't buy it. You don't support it. The marketing/PR team of the company, then gets to decide why you didn't buy it. PROTIP; A bad company will never blame themselves.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-02-25 at 05:37 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #551
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Actually, apparently the first upload was a WIP. The "final" version doesn't cap the mortal wounds machine. Now there are two versions floating around.

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/w...r_cults_en.pdf
    The difference between the two seems to be that the first one contains this question and the second does not:
    Q: If I successfully manifest the Mind Control psychic power and select an enemy model to shoot, how does that model target enemy Characters? A: Apply the Targeting Characters rule and treat the shooting model as part of your army in your Shooting phase in relation to this rule.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Good to see that mining lasers keep D6 damage. And their "agents of vect" stratagem is still cheaper but is one use only, which I think is probably better - creates a more interesting interplay.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    The difference between the two seems to be that the first one contains this question and the second does not:
    Pg1 of each, bottom right corner. One has a rule for mental onslaught (with the cap), the other doesn't. I can send you both versions if that's easier.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone read the book? Tell me about her. No. Because the book was released on the same day she was. I love 40K. But I'm still not going to even buy Honourbound for at least another month, let alone read it.
    I haven't read Honourbound, but there's a short story with her in the free Black Library anthology they handed out the other day, and I have read that. She's the Commissar of the 11th Antari rifles, a unit from a planet that apparently has dense forests and a lot of supersitions about what's lurking in them. It's also a mixed unit. She herself came out of the Schola, naturally for a commissar. Her mother was a famous lord general, her father was a coward who got executed. She's got a brass watch with her sister's name scratched into the case. One of the few people she actually trusts is the Stormtrooper sergeant.

There's more, but a lot of it comes down to the 40k protagonist standard of being strong-willed and a bad enough dude to dislocate your own thumb if it means you get to punch heretics who aren't expecting it. There's also stuff about some of the other soldiers in the Rifles. She strikes me as a pretty solid character, and not someone I'd be adverse to reading more about. The overall quality of the writing in the story was pretty high, especially for Black Library, though it's written in present tense which I always find a little weird. The mini was already sold out at the store I went to, and that was on Saturday.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

The marketing/PR team of the company, then gets to decide why you didn't buy it. PROTIP; A bad company will never blame themselves.
    No, because the marketing/pr team will do follow up research to find out why people did AND didn't buy a thing. Protip: bad companies ignore the follow up research.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

At least GW confirms their ass-backwards production schedule.

Designer’s Note: This publication went to print before the
    changes to the Drukhari Stratagem ‘Agents of Vect’ were made.
    To make this Stratagem different whilst still maintaining game
    balance, we have decided to make this Stratagem one use only
    rather than increasing the Command Point cost.
    If FAQ 2 came out in September, then GSC was printed 7-8 months before its actual release. Which means that the Sisters' Codex is printing real soon - if it hasn't already. Hope you got your feedback in.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

So odd question, anybody got a file to make black squad markings transfers with? Since GW seems to think that people only want white markings.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2019-02-25 at 09:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So odd question, anybody got a file to make black squad markings transfers with? Since GW seems to think that people only want white markings.
    For what Faction?
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

For what Faction?
    I just need the arrows, triangles, crosses, ect for marines. Already got my custom chapter symbol made.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2019-02-25 at 09:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Rusted Claw
    Show
    Rusted Claw Brigade

HQs
    125-Patriarch
    70-Jackal Alphus
    75-Primus

Troops
    160-20 Acolytes with all Handflamers
    160-20 Acolytes with all Handflamers
    55-5 Acolytes with 2 Rock Saws

Elites
    55-Clamavus
    60-Kellermorph
    60-Sanctus with Silenced Rifle

Fast Attack
    163-8 Atalan Jackals with 8 Shotguns, 5 Demolition Charges, and 3 Cultist Knives, plus 2 Atalan Wolfquads with Shotguns and Atalan Incinerators
    163-8 Atalan Jackals with 8 Shotguns, 5 Demolition Charges, and 3 Cultist Knives, plus 2 Atalan Wolfquads with Shotguns and Atalan Incinerators

Heavy Support
    39-Heavy Weapons Team with Mortars

Rusted Claw Battalion

HQs
    80-Magus
    70-Jackal Alphus
    53-Acolyte Iconward

Troops

Elite
    40-Locus

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Total points are 1,999 on the nose.

This is my first list after getting the 'Dex, so I'm assuming there's massive space for improvement. Please assist.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I just need the arrows, triangles, crosses, ect for marines. Already got my custom chapter symbol made.
    I used this one. I needed 30 Tactical Arrows, so I copy-pasted the row and printed them out. I botched it 'cause something happened with the paper where it dried eggshell instead of transparent, which the instructions said wouldn't happen. So I don't have any photos of the result. But if I was going to attempt it again, that's the file I'd use.

This one is also good, but the Devastator symbol is wrong, so I didn't go with it.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-02-25 at 09:56 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #562
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pg1 of each, bottom right corner. One has a rule for mental onslaught (with the cap), the other doesn't. I can send you both versions if that's easier.
    Ah. One erratas Mental Onslaught and the other erratas Mind Control. I was checking column by column to find what was missing from the one that was shorter and since those two entries take up the same amount of page space I glossed over it.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

23. - Top - End - #563
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Take Two-Twisted Helix
    Show
    Twisted Claw Battalion

HQs
    75-Primus
    53-Acolyte Iconward

Troops

Elite
    60-Kellermorph

Twisted Claw Battalion

HQs
    125-Patriarch
    80-Magus

Troops

Elites
    60-Kellermorph
    252-8 Abberants with Picks and 2 Hypermorphs with Improvised Weapons

Twisted Claw Battalion

HQs
    75-Primus
    105-Abominant

Troops

Elite
    60-Kellermorph

Heavy Supports

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

1,998 points.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

I used this one. I needed 30 Tactical Arrows, so I copy-pasted the row and printed them out. I botched it 'cause something happened with the paper where it dried eggshell instead of transparent, which the instructions said wouldn't happen. So I don't have any photos of the result. But if I was going to attempt it again, that's the file I'd use.

This one is also good, but the Devastator symbol is wrong, so I didn't go with it.
    thanks, the first one worked great.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

You can take 9-10 Armigers & Guilliman, at 2K. It's just as dumb as it sounds. Either you wont get games at all, or you'll be tabled in three turns.
    It's a 1K event, which is why I'm taking the all armiger meme list. Like I don't intend to win.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

At least GW confirms their ass-backwards production schedule.

If FAQ 2 came out in September, then GSC was printed 7-8 months before its actual release. Which means that the Sisters' Codex is printing real soon - if it hasn't already. Hope you got your feedback in.
    When I was at Warhammer World a few weeks ago I had achat with the guy who is monitoring the feedback. He reckons they got about 300 responses in iirc, which is less than what I was expecting given the size of the hobby.

In other news, the latest Stormcast podcast is very interesting for those who have an interest in how GW is evolving. There is discussion of how the three ways to play came to be and are intended to be used, discussion of the origin of things like Underworlds and it’s place in the hobby ecosystem, and confirmation of the numbers of rules writers (4 for 40k, 3 for AoS).

Edit: having now finished listening to the podcast, another interesting point which gives some insight into the future for stuff like tactical marines. GW has committed that all currently available models will continue to be supported, but they know they can’t necessarily balance that for competitive play. So older stuff not in the current range will get rules such as being seen in AoS as Warhammer Legends, intended for narrative or open play, but not for competitive stuff.

This makes me think we’ll start to see a two tier system of rules, with a more limited pool available to matched play but hopefully better balance. Thr first likely step towards this will be shifting units that are only in the indexes out of the competitive game, then starting to retire stuff like the tacticals. Rules will still exist for them, but they’ll be openly acknowledged as not up to date with current balance. Hopefully they’ll still have points, but I’m doubtful...
    Last edited by Avaris; 2019-02-26 at 03:52 AM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    The first likely step towards this will be shifting units that are only in the indexes out of the competitive game
    They're already doing this. If a Codex is out for the Faction, nothing in the Index is being Errata'd. A good example is the Captain on Bike. Came down in an appreciable amount of points - but <Fly> is still awesome. Did anything else on Bikes come down in points? ...No, because those are Index units and don't count as being part of the game. If you're only just realising that Index-only units are being phased out of the game, I don't know what to tell you.

then starting to retire stuff like the tacticals.
    As far as I'm concerned Tactical Marines were phased out of the game when 8th Ed. started.
    The problem is whether that means all non-Primaris models will be phased out of the game - including Vehicles? How far will GW take that? Will they remove Death Company and Black Knights from the game? Or are we looking at a 2-3-year plan that includes re-doing every single box in the range as a Primaris box?

One Narrative that's going around is...

'Guilliman demands everyone undertake the same Primaris-procedure that Guilliman did.'
    The procedure has a 60% death rate, which gives GW free reign to kill off any Characters they want to, whilst Primarising and re-designing selling the rest.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-02-26 at 09:58 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

No, because those are Index units and don't count as being part of the game.
    Citation needed. I grant that some TOs and metas may not accept them, but index only units are very much a part of the game and the only official statement we have from GW on the matter supports their inclusion. If they decide to change their ruling on the topic as a go forward then that's another matter. If you reply to this, please provide your citation before we go down this rabbit hole again.

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    GW has committed that all currently available models will continue to be supported, but they know they can’t necessarily balance that for competitive play. So older stuff not in the current range will get rules such as being seen in AoS as Warhammer Legends, intended for narrative or open play, but not for competitive stuff.
    So balancing the points of a Big Mek on bike, or Shrikes, is somehow difficult? Please, we're talking less than "add a jet pack" level of difference between the current codex units and the practically identical index units. Nothing against you of course, but that's a damned silly claim for GW.

Leaves me wondering what they'll do with outliers such as the rifleman dreadnoughts which has the necessary bits available from Forgeworld but is index only (last I checked).

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

'Guilliman demands everyone undertake the same Primaris-procedure that Guilliman did.'
    The procedure has a 60% death rate, which gives GW free reign to kill off any Characters they want to, whilst Primarising and re-designing selling the rest.
    I feel like if GW said "tycho tried to become a primaris but wasnt awesome enough. he's canon dead. model no longer available" they'd get letterbombed. Who's spreading this narrative?

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

the only official statement we have from GW on the matter supports their inclusion.
    When was the last time you saw an Index unit get their points adjusted after their Faction received a Codex?
    By choosing not to re-adjust older models, they are choosing not to give a **** about them. That's an official statement if I ever saw one.

"You can use them if you want... However, be aware that we're incentivised to keep them bad and/or not re-balance them towards any changes in the meta that might happen down the road, so you'll be forced to buy new models."

How is a business practice different from a statement of intent?

It's the same with Second Sororitas Index being announced right after 'toxic masculinity' discussions.

It's like people wanted GW to say "In response to accusations about our company and our consumers, we're going to release more female models from now on in order to include more representation so that YouTube and Twitter will shut up about it (and also please stop flooding our Facebook now, kay)."
    ...Or...They can just do it. And people who know what's going on, know why.

There was no official statement. They just did it.

There's no official statement saying that GW doesn't support Index units...They just don't, without saying anything, 'cause why do they need to?

"We're going to slow down progression in [video game] so that we can gouge you for money."
    They don't say that. They just do it.

Rather than say "We're no longer supporting Tactical Marines." and get hate-mail forever.
    They're just going to choose not to buff them when time comes around - just like they haven't been.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-02-26 at 10:55 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome