New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    GW Facebook has released an image of one of the new Sisters of Battle vehicles, unofficially dubbed the Pulpit of War. Apparently an anti-grav platform of some kind (a skimmer possibly?) with the same sort of quad-flamers as seen on the other new tank sculpt (also pictured).

I'm digging the giant, marble aquila. Quite a simple sculpt, but I like the smooth, sweeping lines. Lots of conversion potential there, particularly for scenery, I feel.
    I don't like it. The Aquilla is nice, but its a literal flying pulpit, and that looks dumb, not intimidating. Seriously, Sisters where warriors with religious bits slapped on, not nuns with warrior bits tacked on. There is a difference here.

I hae a feeling im not gonna like the new aesthetic of the Sisters. Its far too...meme-y

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    So Battle Sisters are a triple kit that also makes Dominions and Celestians. That seems like it'll get stupid pricey very fast. The new character seems very over the top, but cool looking. The new canoness is ugly (not the model, her face) but thats fixable, depending on the sprue. Overall nothing impressive yet, and I find the threat of missing out a bit too 'in your face'
    Oh joy, we're still doing that. Ya, thats gonna be some real expensive Troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Apparently the pulpit is a new special character. They also teased two new datasheets for Zephyrim and a "Battle Citadel." The basic battle sisters box is confirmed to build Dominions and Celestians as well.
    Oh for god's sake. Can Sisters, PLEASE, for the love of the Emperor actually keep a Special Character that isn't Celestine or Jacobus for more than one freaking Edition? We had the Special Edition Canoness from 7th, she doesn't exist, we had the handful of ladies from 2nd ed. All gone. Now we have a woman flying around on a literal church pulpit (THERE IS A LAND SPEEDER RIGHT THERE!) who Im willing to bet is also Order of Our Martyred Lady.

Just...god this is the Ultramarines problem on freaking steroids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Yeah but all-new sculpts so it wasnt tied to any prior design choices. Also, they were already pricey so its not like thats a great precedent.
    I'm not sure I understand the first part of your point? They're basically tacticals, some with specials, some with heavies, some with bolters. It's exactly like marines where there's no difference between a Tac with a Lascannon or a Dev with a Lascannon.

I can already hear the complaints that sisters got slightly more expensive in plastic compared to how much they were in metal.

I have no complains on granny cannoness from the box set, she looks old but allright. There is whole range of faces between 'top model' / atractive and ugly.
    Then what was your point?

Not me, I meant the 'this will be sold out in minutes, here is the time you must be at the web to get it' part of the article. Also, LE Codex means it'll get taken in by scalpers in minutes; hopefully they'll be dumping the models for peanuts next year. Also, BS is fan updated; the IF supplement still isnt available on iPhone to date :v. Not sure who would update the Sisters data, it could be a week or two until its all cleaned out and ready to use.
    For those collectors/players that absolutely must have the LE, this way they know what time they need to be hitting F5. If they didn't do this, there'd be even more complaints about people missing out.

As for battlescribe, I'm quite surprised that fists aren't in there yet. Still, 40k is for neckbeards, and they are probably the biggest target demographic for SoB, so I'd be willing to be it'll be in there pretty quick. Also, just checked Battlescribe on PC and the IF stuff is there. I do wonder how much correlation there is between ELdar players and iPhone users now though...

We all know it will sell out, and we all also know they underproduced the hell out of it to make sure it does. Stockists had to lock their orders yesterday to have A CHANCE to get any ('heavily allocated' usually means you might get your full pre-order, but only if you are a huge account, otherwise feel lucky to get 1 - 2).

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    II do wonder how much correlation there is between ELdar players and iPhone users now though...
    None, I had the PA stuff on the saturday after release. its our resident SM players who are apple boys and thus told us it hadnt updated. Although I think the apple version got updated yesterday; still, a long way from release.

Unless Im blind, the canoness from the article is not the same as the one in the box, is her? Or maybe its the paint job, dunno, the box one looked better.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Battle sisters have always beeen a triple kit that also made Doms and Celestians. It'd be like saying that Tactical marines are a triple kit that also makes Devs and ASM (sans jump pack) and Sternguard and VV's.
    Tacticals don't make Assault Marines. Anyone who says they do, probably needs another look at the kit. Tacticals could make Devastators...But they look terrible compared to actual Devastators.
    When Sternguard changed from special ammo to special guns, Tacticals no longer made Sternguard. Although you could argue that a Marine with a Special/Heavy weapon is a Marine with a Special/Heavy weapon.
    With correct paint job, Tactical Marines could, at best, make Company Veterans.

Gotta build hype somehow, certainly not doing it with all the new models they're releasing.
    It was dumb when the Chaos Failwhale did it, and it's dumb now.
    Of course no-one remembers the Failwhale because it sucked and was awful and terrible and I'm glad the mold for it broke.

Spoiler: It's a 'Dark Abeyant', whatever that is.
    Show

I think when Forge World looked up 'Suspension', they found 'Abeyance' in a thesaurus, and were like, that works.
    ...Except in that context, 'to suspend' something in abeyance, means to pause, halt, stop doing things. Suspension in the context of that word, doesn't mean, like...Floating.

Abeyance is the opposite of conveyance.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-11-13 at 09:11 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Barbarian in the Playground

I quite like the new sculpts actually. It shows that GW still know about non-tacticool. Pennants and banners everywhere, stained glass windows on a flamethrower tank.

Yes it is dumb and tactically questionable, welcome to 40k.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Tacticals don't make Assault Marines. Anyone who says they do, probably needs another look at the kit. Tacticals could make Devastators...But they look terrible compared to actual Devastators.
    When Sternguard changed from special ammo to special guns, Tacticals no longer made Sternguard. Although you could argue that a Marine with a Special/Heavy weapon is a Marine with a Special/Heavy weapon.
    With correct paint job, Tactical Marines could, at best, make Company Veterans.

It was dumb when the Chaos Failwhale did it, and it's dumb now.
    Of course no-one remembers the Failwhale because it sucked and was awful and terrible and I'm glad the mold for it broke.

Spoiler: It's a 'Dark Abeyant', whatever that is.
    Show

I think when Forge World looked up 'Suspension', they found 'Abeyance' in a thesaurus, and were like, that works.
    ...Except in that context, 'to suspend' something in abeyance, means to pause, halt, stop doing things. Suspension in the context of that word, doesn't mean, like...Floating.

Abeyance is the opposite of conveyance.
    Honestly, I liked the Tech priest floating pulpit thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Firbolg in the Playground

I liked when people put the pulpit on top of Onager Dunecrawler legs.

Like this one, though they also used a different model for the actual dark techpriest.

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: to be fair just about anything look good on Onager Dunecrawler legs, they're pretty much one of the best walker-leg kits out there.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2019-11-14 at 09:02 AM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Umm... It's looking increasingly like Acts of Faith is just how you generate miracle dice. Please excuse me while I run for cover to hide from the ensuing RAGE.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Borgh View Post
    I quite like the new sculpts actually. It shows that GW still know about non-tacticool. Pennants and banners everywhere, stained glass windows on a flamethrower tank.

Yes it is dumb and tactically questionable, welcome to 40k.
    There's 40k dumb and then there's a flying pulpit. If it was on the roof of a Rhino or Built out of a Land Speeder id be less annoyed, I mean, look at the Onager Conversion for proof of that.

Like, I get it, 40k tanks are silly if you actually use realism, but a Leman Russ LOOKS like a war vehicle at least. That doesn't.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

Umm... It's looking increasingly like Acts of Faith is just how you generate miracle dice. Please excuse me while I run for cover to hide from the ensuing RAGE.
    That....no...theres no way they'd be that stupid...if that's true that would be the single laziest thing i think I've ever seen GW do.

And that would be the final nail in the coffin for 8th as far as I'm concerned
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Banned

The names of the conditions for acquiring Miracle Dice are the same names the AoFs had, arent they? I think 'activating an AoF' is just 'fulfilling the condition to earn a Miracle Dice'. Which would be horrendously lazy, uninspired and rage-inducing.

Whats most infuriating to me is that there was no need to change the AoF system from the index. Maybe reign it in a little, but the core mechanic was solid. Then once they changed it for the mess that was in the beta codex, they're not going back out of what? pride? stubbornness? Then of course they can bloat the faction numbers or drop the point costs so low its still strong regardless, but that doesnt mean it was good design.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    That....no...theres no way they'd be that stupid...if that's true that would be the single laziest thing i think I've ever seen GW do.

And that would be the final nail in the coffin for 8th as far as I'm concerned
    That's just speculation on my part. But you'd think they'd have said something about the sisters' core shtick by now, and all we've heard about it is directly tied to getting miracle dice. It's like a new Necron release that doesn't talk about reanimation protocols, or a Space Wolves article without a single wolf.

* *sigh* Remember when the 5e codex let you field an entire army without a single Wolf or Werewolf? And it was good?
    Last edited by Squark; 2019-11-14 at 02:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ettin in the Playground

There's 40k dumb and then there's a flying pulpit. If it was on the roof of a Rhino or Built out of a Land Speeder id be less annoyed, I mean, look at the Onager Conversion for proof of that.

Like, I get it, 40k tanks are silly if you actually use realism, but a Leman Russ LOOKS like a war vehicle at least. That doesn't.
    That's always been one of the issues I had with the 40K universe in general. It's virtually impossible to break my suspension of disbelief to start with, and many of the more egregious things in 40K can often by shrugged off with some combination of space magic and "literally seven times more years have passed between us and 40K than have passed between the actual stone age and us". But every once in a while, my brain just nopes out.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2019-11-14 at 02:00 PM.
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Banned

It would've been believable as a terrain piece, you know? Sort of like the stuff AoS factions get, a few holy sites that get erected for battlefield oration and whatnot; have it increase aura ranges but give up the character rule, or something. Maybe its the leftover from a holy site that got chaos bombed, much like modern catholic relics are paintings / murals from places razed by natural disasters (my country's bigger relic is a painting of Christ made by a slave on a monastery wall that was the only wall left standing after a huge earthquake nearly razed the capital). Or mounted on a vehicle, like the statues on the Dark Angels Darkshroud (which are remains from their old Legion HQ before the Lion blew it up). But as independent things? no way

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Halfling in the Playground

Whats most infuriating to me is that there was no need to change the AoF system from the index. Maybe reign it in a little, but the core mechanic was solid. Then once they changed it for the mess that was in the beta codex, they're not going back out of what? pride? stubbornness? Then of course they can bloat the faction numbers or drop the point costs so low its still strong regardless, but that doesnt mean it was good design.
    ...The last time I objected to the idea that the old AoF were balanced, everyone yelled at me. But what the heck, let's do it again

I think the old AoF system was only fair because the units using it were decidedly mid-tier. The ability to act twice--essentially for free--can make basically anything efficient, and makes efficient things broken. (See Ynnari.) Maybe the designers are trying give Sisters a mechanic that's easier to balance?

The old AoF did look really fun, though. I can see why you'd miss them.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrinder View Post
    ...The last time I objected to the idea that the old AoF were balanced, everyone yelled at me. But what the heck, let's do it again

I think the old AoF system was only fair because the units using it were decidedly mid-tier. The ability to act twice--essentially for free--can make basically anything efficient, and makes efficient things broken. (See Ynnari.) Maybe the designers are trying give Sisters a mechanic that's easier to balance?

Do remember that unlike Soulburst, AoFs were never guaranteed. Celestine's was on a 2+, the others were on a 4+. Also, you only got 1 per Round, except if you spent points on Celestine (who was great, no argument there) or Imagifiers that pretty much only ever did that. Finally, Soulburst had Dark Reapers for targets, something to which no Sisters unit comes close to comparing, AND YET during the Ynnari meta, Ynnari didnt take any major tournaments. Strong top finishes, sure, but no 1º place.

Adding the same restriction as Soulburst (can only choose each effect once / round) would've gone a long way towards making it more 'fair' (and then it still depends on you rolling a 4+ consistently). Considering how much stronger each faction got after their Codex I dont feel it would've been particularly out of line, even with the current improvements. After all, Orks already get to do it with their Big Meks that can blow up Knights in one round of shooting, Havocs get to do it with 32 shots with +1 to wound for 1 CP, etc.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ready for CSM to get dunked on with hot garbage for a supplement again? Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...wMOcWGYfvZbBVY

DG get one of the only good things in the supplement.

WB get extra CP, but then, you're playing WB, so you're automatically failing.

Also, Pay 1 CP to be Cassius

NL get garbage

If NL are in CC with you (and let's be honest, that's what within 6" really means), they've already got the job pretty much done, and it won't affect a smash captain since it doesn't turn the aura off

AL gets absolute trash

backed up by DOUBLE TRASH!

IW get the same thing they already got in Vigilus. At least it doesn't cost a CP I guess?

EC Fabulous Bill is at it again with the old enhanced warriors. It wasn't good last edition and it isn't good now for 2CP

They go pick up one of the other good things in the book though, all the re-rolls!

WE close us out with one pretty average trait

and one super bad relic

Thanks for playing folks, see you next time on CSM can't have nice things.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrinder View Post

As has been pointed out, AoF only went off once guaranteed, once for a 2+ on an expensive character, an up to 3 times on a 4+ on very squishy characters who did nothing else.

Was it good? In Index meta sure. Currently? Would have been fine. Sister's have nothing nasty enough to actually break it.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ready for CSM to get dunked on with hot garbage for a supplement again? Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    My guess is either:
    a) GW has no idea what to market, and as such, the market team only goes for obvious memetic Traits, Relics and Stratagems (e.g; Remember when Bill did a thing? This is like that, except you don't even need Bill, because he technically stopped being an Emperor's Child a long, long time ago), or
    b) GW puts their best foot forwards, and this is what they've come up with, because building hype is exactly how they write rules; Shrug your shoulders and hope for the best.

I don't know why you're acting like this is all there is. But okay. We already know from leaks that each Legion allegedly has six pages each, and Black Templars have nine - for plus three pages of Named Characters.

DG get one of the only good things in the supplement.
    I think you'll find that Death Guard (and Thousand Sons) don't get anything 'cause they're not Chaos Space Marines.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-11-14 at 05:42 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My guess is either:
    a) GW has no idea what to market, and as such, the market team only goes for obvious memetic Traits, Relics and Stratagems (e.g; Remember when Bill did a thing? This is like that, except you don't even need Bill, because he technically stopped being an Emperor's Child a long, long time ago), or
    b) GW puts their best foot forwards, and this is what they've come up with, because building hype is exactly how they write rules; Shrug your shoulders and hope for the best.

I don't know why you're acting like this is all there is. But okay. We already know from leaks that each Legion allegedly has six pages each, and Black Templars have nine - for plus three pages of Named Characters.

Of those 6 pages, 1 is fluff, another is a name generator, so they're basically dead weight. I don't expect any of the non-previewed traits or relics to be better than meh or they would have been showcased instead of the hot garbage we got. About the only thing that might be good is the daemon weapons (there was mention of ignoring invulnerables), but 1 good relic isn't enough to turn CSM around from being low tier.

I think you'll find that Death Guard (and Thousand Sons) don't get anything 'cause they're not Chaos Space Marines.
    My bad, I see Nurgle, I think DG. So, yeah, anyone who wants to be marked Nurgle can have a good power fist relic. Be a shame if you were using EC or WE where you can't be Nurgle.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Firbolg in the Playground

I doubt that very much. The Vessel of the Emperor's Will stratagem doesn't make any sense if Acts of Faith make you gain a Miracle die.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Of those 6 pages, 1 is fluff, another is a name generator
    ...WTF!? I was assuming two pages of Stratagems. Not...That.

I don't expect any of the non-previewed traits or relics to be better than meh or they would have been showcased instead...
    I've been surprised before. However, as always, if your job is to generate hype, you can always fail.

but 1 good relic isn't enough to turn CSM around from being low tier.
    Chaos Marines aren't low tier.
    The problem is that everything they do, Loyal Marines do better, so why play them?

Be a shame if you were using EC or WE where you can't be Nurgle.
    *Shrug* ...That's not new.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-11-14 at 06:26 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, lets do an autopsy here:

Ok...not great, but the +1 makes this hurt less. Wait...is that +1 forever? If so thats actually pretty sweet. Forces your opponent to wipe out a Sisters unit. Not that that's hard.

My girls! Its fine. Not amazing, not terrible. Just fine. I'll take it.

5 bucks says this is Jacobus' Trait. Its a perfectly fine trait. Wait...its Celestine's...then what's Jacobus'? This was his thing. Wait...am I not getting Hobo Shotgun Priest??

As Renegade Paladin alluded too, it seems that Miracle Dice are not our replacement (thank the Emperor) and they do something else, based on how they say that we'll "learn to love Miralce Dice". As far as this Stratagem goes... eh? I mean, Im gonna assume that you can spend Miracle Dice in more ways than just subbing out rolls, otherwise this Stratagem is pretty much identical to "1Cp make a re-roll"

2 CP. Eeeew. Can be used during Overwatch. Nice.

Add 1 to hit. Eh, Ill take it I guess.
    Reroll to wound, thats nice.
    Extend Range and up the roll? Ok, Thats why this is worth 2CP

Relics. Apparently the Book of Lucius is back, it extends Auras 3". I rather liked what it used to do, but thats fine. Also they tell us that a Rod of Office (I assume a piece of Wargear) also extends Aura Range 3", and that these combo well with the Warlord Trait Indomitable Belief (which is Celestine's btw). I mean...neat? It will make having a Cannoness babysitting Rets easier.

Huh...thats pretty sweet. Lets you not get 1's.

They do say something kinda weird in relation to the Litanies, where they say to take it if you want to "Double or even triple down on your Acts of Faith" So... do you spend Mircle dice to use AoF? I mean... this would be a better way of getting Not!Faith Points, and I've always thought Faith Points to be the best default system, it just needed better balancing at various levels of play.

I will say, this looks ok so far. I'm like a guy walking on a frozen lake, Im being rather paranoid here,cuz it could all fall out under me
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2019-11-14 at 06:38 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Banned

'performing an act of faith' likely means 'fulfilling a conditionf for an AoF'. Which means its even more garbage, because the strat only triggers of characters.

So, if your Canoness with a combi-plasma kills a mook, you pay 1 CP and get 2 Miracle Dice. One from the 'Act of Faith' "Vengeance", one from the Strat, both of which you can re-roll from the Lithany, thus giving you 3 extra results to choose from. Neat huh?

Also, I was wrong before; the old Act of Faith names were given to the Doctrines, not the Miracle Dice convictions:

This was the one to bring back a dead model, wasnt it?

This was the 'fight twice' one, right?

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I doubt that very much. The Vessel of the Emperor's Will stratagem doesn't make any sense if Acts of Faith make you gain a Miracle die.
    I assumed that the codex defined an Act of Faith as spending a miracle die, making that strategem essentially refund a miracle die for 1 CP. But we'll see.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

...WTF!? I was assuming two pages of Stratagems. Not...That.
    Another page wasted for objectives too, so yeah, garbage traits, relics and strats only, most of which we've just seen.

Chaos Marines aren't low tier.
    The problem is that everything they do, Loyal Marines do better, so why play them?
    They're not GK or SW to be sure, but they're still pretty bad.

*Shrug* ...That's not new.
    No, but since Slaanesh shoot twice and zerks fight twice are two of the big deals in the dex, locking you out of one of the few good things kinda sucks a big fat one.

Ok...not great, but the +1 makes this hurt less. Wait...is that +1 forever? If so thats actually pretty sweet. Forces your opponent to wipe out a Sisters unit. Not that that's hard.
    I play OoOML, and I'm pretty happy with this. Miracle dice are super strong, so getting more is always nice and survivors hitting on 2's is neat.

5 bucks says this is Jacobus' Trait. Its a perfectly fine trait. Wait...its Celestine's...then what's Jacobus'? This was his thing. Wait...am I not getting Hobo Shotgun Priest??
    Can't have girl power with dudes in charge. I wouldn't hold my breath on Jacobus coming back, but you never know. At least Celestine doesn't hand out +1 ld anymore.

As Renegade Paladin alluded too, it seems that Miracle Dice are not our replacement (thank the Emperor) and they do something else, based on how they say that we'll "learn to love Miralce Dice". As far as this Stratagem goes... eh? I mean, Im gonna assume that you can spend Miracle Dice in more ways than just subbing out rolls, otherwise this Stratagem is pretty much identical to "1Cp make a re-roll"
    Yes and no. This way you can use a miracle dice and still have command rerolls available in the same phase, plus you can use miracle dice when you absolutely must succeed. Miracle dice are going to be freakin' huge.

2 CP. Eeeew. Can be used during Overwatch. Nice.

Add 1 to hit. Eh, Ill take it I guess.
    Reroll to wound, thats nice.
    Extend Range and up the roll? Ok, Thats why this is worth 2CP
    Yeah, 36" multimeltas are a thing. That's a pretty big deal, but it is expensive in points (assuming they stay 22ppm) and cp. rr to wound is nice on flamers though, but maybe not for 2cp.

Relics. Apparently the Book of Lucius is back, it extends Auras 3". I rather liked what it used to do, but thats fine. Also they tell us that a Rod of Office (I assume a piece of Wargear) also extends Aura Range 3", and that these combo well with the Warlord Trait Indomitable Belief (which is Celestine's btw). I mean...neat? It will make having a Cannoness babysitting Rets easier.
    The rod has been seen on the cannoness optional builds. A 12" aura bubble is pretty damn strong, you can give a fair portion of your deployment area all your bonii.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2019-11-14 at 08:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Banned

Can't have girl power with dudes in charge. I wouldn't hold my breath on Jacobus coming back, but you never know. At least Celestine doesn't hand out +1 ld anymore.
    That this is Celestine´s WT is odd, as that was her regular ability already. Has she been confirmed to still have her +1 to Shield of Faith aura?

Yes and no. This way you can use a miracle dice and still have command rerolls available in the same phase, plus you can use miracle dice when you absolutely must succeed. Miracle dice are going to be freakin' huge.
    I very, very much doubt that. There is 0 guarantee that MD will be any good, as you roll your string of 2s and 3s to go suck at wounding and have very little hits to replace. Hope you're making a ton of Morale saves with your 5-girl squads. Arent they all LD8 anyways?

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

That this is Celestine´s WT is odd, as that was her regular ability already. Has she been confirmed to still have her +1 to Shield of Faith aura?
    I can't say.

I very, very much doubt that. There is 0 guarantee that MD will be any good, as you roll your string of 2s and 3s to go suck at wounding and have very little hits to replace. Hope you're making a ton of Morale saves with your 5-girl squads. Arent they all LD8 anyways?
    Just like Tzeentch in AoS, 2's and 3's will still be useful when you just can't leave things to chance. You will be rolling morale on every squad, even when they can't fail since rolling a 1 gets you a miracle dice. If you are playing OoOML, it's also some protection against losing bigger squads to morale.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Index: Inquisition
    White Dwarf (Nov '19)

Spoiler
    Show
    Keywords: Everytime you choose an Inquisition unit, pick an <Ordo>; Hereticus, Malleus, Xenos or Minoris. Depending on which <Ordo> you herald from, determines your Quarry bonus and how your Inquisitor interacts with Acolytes. However, there is no requirement to have every unit in the Detachment, be of the same Ordo. That being said, it's kind of pointless not to.

Quarry: Your <Inquisitors> gain re-rolls depending on who they're attacking:
    • Ordo Malleus: Re-roll to hit and wound vs. <Chaos> or <Daemon> units.
    • Ordo Hereticus: Re-roll to hit and wound vs. <Chaos> or <Psyker> units.
    • Ordo Xenos: Re-roll to hit and wound vs. non-<Chaos>, non-<Imperium>, non-<Unaligned> units.
    • Ordo Minoris: Re-roll to hit and wound vs. <Characters>.

As you can see, Inquisitors are extremely meta-dependent, and you can't switch them out like Assassins, and that makes them mostly terrible. Especially when <Imperium> armies are currently flooding the meta making Inquisitors borderline useless in most cases. Even in <Minoris>, how often are you going to be able to target Characters in the first place with your Inquisitor?

Authority of the Inquisition: Any Inquisition unit - other than Daemonhosts - can ride in any <Imperium> Transport they want regardless of Faction Keywords. However, other restrictions (e.g; <Terminator> models can only ride in certain Transports, other Transports can only transport <Primaris> units, etc.) still apply.

• An Inquisition Detachment can only ever include one <Inquisitor>. You cannot make Supreme Commands. You can only ever make Vanguard Detachments, and you can't even fill out your HQ slots, because all Inquisition HQs, are <Inquisitors>, and you only get one per Detachment.
    • If you army has no Inquisition Detachments in it, one <Inquisitor> may be included in any other Detachment - so long as every model in your army has the <Imperium> Keyword, and no <Fallen>. This Inquisitor does not break Detachment Traits (e.g; Chapter Tactics), nor does it break Army Traits (e.g; Combat Doctrines). However, a problem is that an Inquisitor doesn't take up slots, which means that you're gonna have to take 1-2 other, existing HQ choices, and then pick up the Inquisitor. Costing even more points. This provision only applies to <Inquisitors> and no other units. So, that sucks.

Warlord Traits
    1. Once per round, re-roll one of the following; To hit, to wound, Damage, Save, Psychic test or Deny the Witch test. [Eisenhorn]
    2. +1 to Invulnerable save.
    3. +1 Leadership, and Unquestionable Wisdom goes to 12". [Karamazov]
    Hereticus; Heroic Intervene 6", and, if an enemy unit Falls Back from the model, roll a 4+...They don't. [Greyfax]
    Xenos; Each time your opponent plays a Stratagem, roll a 5+, gain CP.
    Malleus; Gain another Power and manifest an additional one per turn. [Coteaz]

Telethesia Discipline
    Terrify; WC6, 18". Target enemy unit has -1 Ld and can't fire Overwatch.
    Psychic Fortitude; WC4, 12". Target friendly <Imperium> unit auto-passes Morale tests.
    Dominate; WC6, 12". Roll 3d6 vs. target enemy non-<Vehicle> model's Ld. If you roll equal or better, you may immediately shoot one weapon, or, Fight normally, as if that model was part if your army. For WC6, and given how cheap Inquisitors are, this is really, really good.
    Mental Interrogation; WC6, 12". Target enemy <Character> has -1 to hit on their attacks. Additionally, roll 3d6 vs. their Leadership, if equal or better, +1 CP.
    Psychic Pursuit; WC7, 18". Target enemy <Character> with 10 or less wounds, may now be targeted by one friendly <Ordo> unit within 6" of the Psyker. Holy ****.
    Castigation; WC6, 18". Roll 3d6 vs. target enemy unit's Ld. If you win, D3 Mortal Wounds.

Hereticus; WC6, 12". Target enemy unit has -1 Attack (min. 1). Additionally, roll 2d6 vs. Leadership. If equal or better, target unit also has -1 to hit on their attacks until your next turn.
    Xenos; WC5. All <Ordo Xenos> within 6" can't be targeted in the Shooting phase unless they're the closest unit. Additionally, <Ordo Xenos> units can't be Charged if the Charging unit is more than 6" away. You what!? If a unit can target a <Character> even if it's not the closest model, is that cancelled out by this Power, that says they can't be targeted unless they're the closest model?
    Malleus; WC6, 12". Target friendly <Imperium Infantry> or <Biker> unit gains a 5++ until your next turn.

These Powers are insanely good. Especially since you can slot in a single Inquisitor into any <Imperium> army you want, and lose nothing. Making an entire <Inquisition> Detachment, however, is a bit of a process and probably not worth it.

Relics of the Inquistion - Your Warlord should definitely not be an Inquisitor. So you'll be paying a CP for one (and a Warlord Trait).
    Blade of the Ordo; <Inquisitor>, [Power Sword]. It's a +1S Force Sword. Additionally, when attacking a Quarry, Damage is 3. Not bad. But certainly not worth spending a CP for.
    Digital Weapons; <Inquisitor>. Everytime the model Fights, make an extra attack. If it hits, deal a Mortal Wound. Simple.
    Blackshroud; <Inquisitor>. Enemy units have -1 to wound this model... Your Inquisitors are still T3.
    Ignis Judicium; <Hereticus Inquisitor>, [Inferno Pistol]. It has 12" range! But, it only rolls an extra D6b1 under half-range for Damage vs. <Chaos> and <Psyker> units. It's a Relic Pistol, and automatically bad. You even pay Points for it!
    Bio-Corrosive Poisons; <Xenos Inquisitor>. Your Melee attacks wound non-<Vehicles>, non-<Titanics> on a 2+. Goes great on a regular Power/Force Sword.
    Tainted Blade; <Malleus Inquisitor>, [Power Sword]. Every time you choose to Fight with this weapon, roll a 1; You take a Mortal Wound and can't Fight with this weapon. Otherwise...It's a S6 Power Sword that generates extra attacks each time your target fails a Save. So, your Inquisitor has a potential 8 Attacks, which doesn't sound too bad. But in order for that to happen, your opponent has to fail 4 saves for +4 Attacks. S6, AP-3 will probably make it happen...But, the 1 Damage on a Relic weapon, is a problem.

Spoiler: Stratagems
    Show
    If your army includes any <Inquisitor> models, you can use these Stratagems.

Cyclonic Torpedo (4!): Once per battle. Shooting phase. Select a point on the battlefield and roll a D6 for each enemy unit within 2d6". On a 4+ (<Characters> are -1 to hit, so...5+), the unit takes D3 Mortal Wounds. This Stratagem, in no uncertain terms, is a disaster. Spend 4 CPs, to get piss-poor range, and then fail the next D6 roll. Total trash. And who made it 4 CPs!?

Inquisitorial Mandate: Once per battle. Before the battle. Select an <Inquisitor> from your army that is not your Warlord, and give it a Warlord Trait. Additionally, if the model isn't a <Vehicle> or Named Character, give it a Relic of the Inquisition, too. For 1 CP, to pick up a Warlord and Relic...Is good.
    Spending a CP to pick up a Xenos Inquisitor with the ability to Kurov's Aquila is really good.

Seize for Interrogation: If an enemy <Character> is destroyed within 3" of an <Inqusitor> gain +D3 CPs, and your opponent's entire army has -1Ld for the test of the game. WHAT!? And only 1 CP!?

Requisition: If an <Imperium Infantry> or <Biker> units within 6" of an <Inquisitor> Shoots, Fights, or fires Overwatch against the <Inquisitor>'s Quarry, re-roll 1s to hit.

Spoiler: HQ / Inquisitors
    Show
    Unquestionable Wisdom: <Imperium> units within 6" of <Inquisitors> can use their Ld (9 for normies, and 10 for Named Inquisitors) instead of their own.

Inquisitor Greyfax: <Hereticus>. She has a Bolt Rifle that can target <Psyker Characters> or <Demon Characters>. Additionally, vs. <Psykers>, it's Damage 3. So, take her if your meta is lousy with Thousand Sons Supreme Commands. However, that being said, Bolt Rifles are only S4 and the Inquisition doesn't have Bolter Discipline to you actually have to move if you want that Rapid Fire. Knows and manifests one Power, but can Deny twice with +1 to the Deny test.

Inquisitor Coteaz: <Malleus>. Carries an Assault D6 Boltgun, and a Thunder Hammer (S6, 'cause normal human) that doesn't have negs to hit. His main ability is pretty strong. Whenever an enemy unit sets up from Reinforcements - anywhere on the board - an <Ordo Malleus> unit within 6" can shoot them. This ability is problematic, 'cause it basically requires you to bring an Acolyte unit, which requires you to have brought an Inquisition Detachment, which are...Bad. Additionally, once per battle, if your opponent plays a Stratagem, you can force them to spend an extra CP. If they don't, the spent CPs are refunded, and the Stratagem just fails. Knows and manifests two Powers (+1 with Warlord Trait), and Denies once. That being said, he is still the best Melee model in the book if you're shooting for that Seize for Interrogation, which you absolutely should be if you're running an Inquisitor.

Inquisitor Karamazov: <Hereticus>. T5 with a 4+ save is pretty bad. But, then again, he's got 8 Wounds so he can't be targeted. So that's neat. He's also the only Inquisitor with a 4+ Invulnerable that doesn't have to use a Warlord Trait. At 115 Points, Karamazov is also the most expensive model in the Index. But, that's okay. He comes with a 30" Multi-Melta and in melee he has 4+2D3 attacks at AP-1 and Damage 2 each. Karamazov is very strong against single-wound models. However, against tougher models, Coteaz's Hammer has the extra AP and 1 extra Damage, which puts him way ahead. Enemy <Infantry> units have -1 Ld within 12" of Karamazov, for what that's worth.
    Enemy <Psykers> within 12" of Karamazov have -1 to Psychic tests. Additionally, if Karamazov is targeted by a Psychic power, roll 2d6 and try to beat the Psychic test used to manifest the Power. If you win, Karamazov is unaffected by the Power. However, other units may be affected by the Power as normal. This is not a Deny the Witch. Also, the poor wording says that if Karamazov isn't the target, but gets hit anyway, this ability doesn't work?

Inquisitor Eisenhorn: <Xenos>. AP-1, Damage 2 Bolt Pistol. Whatever. He carries a Force Sword that makes him WS2+ and a +3 Force Stave. He also has some pretty funky Grenades that do Mortal Wounds to <Vehicles>. Whilst he's nowhere near as good in Melee as Coteaz or Karamazov, he's still pretty good. His 4+ Save, is bad. But to make up for it, he has Ignore Wounds (6+), which is almost nothing. But it's something, I guess. Whatever. Eisenhorn is cheap...Except when he's not. Knows and manifests two Powers, and Denies twice, too!
    • Once per battle, lose the Unquestionable Wisdom ability and set up a <Daemonhost> (25 Points) within 6", and more than 9" away from enemy models (No saving Eisenhorn from Melee ). This Daemonhost model has +2 Strength, Toughness, Wounds and Attacks. Additionally, whilst the Daemonhost is within 6" of Eisenhorn, it has +1 to hit, to wound, and +1 to its Invulnerable save.

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in Terminator Armour: <Malleus>, obviously. The only notable parts of this Datasheet is access to a Psycannon (Heavy 4, S7, AP-1) for a boatload of extra points, on top of a model that already costs more than the Named Characters. 6 Wounds and a 2+ save is good, but not worth the points you're paying. Inquisitors are not Space Marines, and so don't have Bolter Discipline, and so being a <Terminator> doesn't give this model anything except being harder to Transport. With that said, unless you're doing a thing with Teleport Strike, you're better off with Coteaz. Knows/Manifests one Power, and Denies once.

Inquisitor: Become <Psyker> for no cost (yes, really), and pick up a Force Stave. Trade the Bolt Pistol for a Boltgun or Storm Bolter, and you're done. If you're <Xenos> 'cause you want one of the two good Warlord Traits in the Index, take a Power Sword and pack Bio-Corrosive Poisons since your S3 no longer matters and you want the best AP. That being said, taking a Thunder Hammer on an Inquisitor will only get you to S6, which isn't that good. So, even on a Thunder Hammer, Bio-Corrosive Poisons is still worth it, and you should definitely go around Character-hunting for those sweet extra CPs and the army-wide Leadership debuff. There really isn't a reason to not make your Inquisitor a Psyker - Knows/Manifests one Power, and Denies once.

So, in order to run an Inquisitor - you only get one, mind - you need to fulfill the following criteria:
    1. You have 55-90 Points left over at the end of your list. This should rarely be the case, 'cause 55-90 Points is an extra Troops choice in most Codecies. Additionally, 85 Points, is an Assassin if you've got the CPs to spare.
    2. You have no access to Deny the Witch with any of your existing models. This should be a rarity, as a Guard Detachment can easily slot in a Primaris Psyker less than 50 Points. So if you're running a Loyal 32 Battalion for a CP Battery-and-Bodies in some of the more expensive Imperium Factions (e.g; Deathwatch and Custodes), there really isn't an excuse to not run a Primaris Psyker, if you have the Points to meet Criteria 1 anyway.

Mostly, the only Faction that these two Criteria would apply to, is a full AdMech army, because they're unlikely to run Guard Battalions and don't have native Psykers. That being said; Culexus Assassin?

Spoiler: Elites
    Show
    Daemonhost: <Character> models that come stock with a 12" S8, AP-1 weapon, which isn't good unless they roll a 6 to wound, and it does 3 Damage. That being said, it's still short range, and only AP-1, which isn't good. Also, at BS4+ and one shot, you're paying Points to miss...Yeah. Daemonhosts are only 25 Points. But they still don't do anything. In Melee, they have a Power Sword with 3 Attacks. So that's...Something. At the start of your turn, roll a D3 (it's a D3, really); 1) Gain 12" Move and <Fly>. 2) Regain all lost wounds. Or, 3) Roll a 2+ for each enemy unit within 3" and they take D3 Mortal Wounds... So, like, it's Turn 1, and it'd be real cool if you could have 12" Move and <Fly>...Just kidding, do D3 Mortal Wounds to enemy units within 3"...On Turn 1...So...Nothing happens. Oh ****, getting double-teamed by a Smash Chaplain and Captain wombo combo. Would be real cool if you could deal Mortal Wounds to the both of them...Nope. There's an argument to be made that if you could <Fly>, you can Fall Back and shoot...But at 1 Damage, and BS4+, what's the point?
    ...The only reason to ever have a Daemonhost in your collection is if you also have Eisenhorn. Eisenhorn's Daemonhost is the only good Daemonhost.

Jokaero Weaponsmith: Another <Character> model, except this time with a gun. At 22 Points (3 Points less than a Daemonhost), it's gun has double range, same strength, AP-3 and does 3 Damage all the time, instead of only on 6s. It also has a 'shotgun' alternate fire mode; 12", Assault 6 Bolt Rifle. Still has the same BS4+ that a Daemonhost does, and still has the same 5+ Invulnerable. Additionally, in every shooting phase, pick an <Ordo> unit within 3" (including self), and roll a D3 (randumb is fun!); 1) Re-roll to hit, or 2) Re-roll to wound, or 3) re-roll to hit and wound. Regardless of what you roll, it's better than the Daemonhost. For 3 Points less. Very strong shooty model, and they're <Characters> so your opponent can't even target them. If you're running a Vanguard, there's nothing wrong with running three off these dudes.

Acolyte: They're Guardsmen. Except with 2 Attacks each, they cost 8 Points each, and if an <Ordo Inquisitor> within 3" takes a wound, roll a 2+, and an Acolyte takes all Damage from that wound, instead. Nice. First thing you're gonna want to do is make Acolytes with Boltguns or Boltpistols, and Chainswords. There is no reason, ever to keep those stupid Laspistols. If you're willing to shell out +2 Points each, Storm Bolters are really good when attached to 8 (10) Point models. Other good options include Flamers (if you can get the range) or Plasma Guns if you want to shell out the real points. Acolytes come in squads of up to only 6 models, which is pretty piss-poor for a unit that only has a 5+ Save. Alternatively, Acolyte units that consist of only one model at the start of the battle, gain the <Character> Keyword. This prevents you from placing a single Acolyte in front of any other Character to use an 8 Point meat-shield.

So if you are going to run an Inquisition Detachment, what do:
    • Requisition; <Ordo> unit gets re-rolls 1s to hit if targeting an <Inquisitor>'s Quarry.
    • Psychic Pursuit; Target <Characters> with Supercharged Plasma Guns - or Meltaguns! Hot-Shot Lasguns can also put on the hurt.
    • Ordo Xenos: Psychic Veil; Your <Ordo> unit(s) can't be targeted, and are harder - and often impossible! - to Charge.
    • Ordo Malleus; Inquisitor Coteaz lets you shoot anything that comes out Reinforcements, if you've got the range and visibility.
    • Jokaero; You've got a 2/3 chance to give an <Ordo> unit re-rolls to hit.

Sound good? Yeah...Probably not.

Spoiler: Inquisition Armies
    Show
    Because The Inquisition has no Troops, only Elites, they are severely hamstrung by the Datasheet cap, and their units are cheap-as-dirt. Which means that it's simply not possible to field an Inquisition army, especially as each Inquisition Detachment can only field one Inquisitor so you can't even spam your slots to rack up Points. That said, the most expensive Inquisition list you can run is the following:

Vanguard Detachment (x3)
    Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in Terminator Armour; Psycannon, Nemesis Daemon Hammer - 129 Points (x3) = 387 Points
    Daemonhost - 25 Points (x3) = 75 Points
    Jokaero Weaponsmith; Jokaero Weapons - 22 Points (x3) = 66 Points
    Acolytes (x6); Plasma Pistols (x6), Combi-Meltas (x6) - 168 Points (x3) = 504 Points

Total: 1032 Points

Even with horrible inefficiencies in the list, it barely breaks 1000 Points, which thus, means that it barely meets the criteria to run three Detachments in the first place. Losing the ineffeciencies - and turning at one of those Maellus Inquisitors into Coteaz - means you drop below 1000 Points, means you have to drop a whole Detachment, in addition to lowering the Datasheet cap at well. Point is, you simply can't run a pure Inquisition army, because you don't have Troops and your models don't cost a lot (because they're not good ).

On the one hand, this means that including an Inquisition Detachment into your existing army is really easy because they're cheap. Unfortunately, so are Guard, AdMech and Sororitas Battalions, which get you more, better models, in addition to +4 CPs over a Vanguard. So why bother? It's simply way easier to include a Guard Battalion in your army, and re-fluff your Primaris Psykers to be Inquisitors... Sorry.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-11-15 at 10:02 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Many thanks for the guide as always Cheesegear. Haven't got WD myself yet but I'm glad to see my Inquisitor's definitely going to be strong enough to be worth taking, and that GW were reasonably sensible about the interaction with allegiances.

I'm pretty disappointed about the retinue options though. Where are my death cult assassins? My crusaders, my servitors, my psykers? Where, though I never expected it to happen, is my 0-1 inquisitorial retinue unit which combines all the above and acolytes into one unit Deathwatch Veterans style? I guess overall this is better than I expected and still very disappointing, and I'm very aware of how that sounds.
    LGBTQIA+ITP