New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    November 7th
    Providence
    It was to make sure no one was paying attention to us, Emi says, leaning back in for another kiss. And also to add a little additional friction to the doors so that we could hear them trying to open them. I’ve been told these doors tend to stick with the weather changes.

She smiles and John feels one hand being guided by her mind to the outer side of her thigh, and then slowly up the soft skin of her leg, under her nightdress. Her telekinetic guidance is soft, easily resisted if John wants.

What were you trying to say, John? she asks knowingly as she runs her hands down the magician’s chest. You don’t suppose… what? It is true that my father is out of range of overhearing or feeling anything. But your parents are only a floor below us.

OOC: SESSION ENDS. If you’re not Veteran, gain 3 XP! Cards and Moves refresh!
    I…I’ve wanted an opportunity to express my feelings for you more intimately, John explained as he risked looking deeply into Emi’s eyes, and learn about such intimacy together.

We may not be ready for everything, he projected, trying not to sound as intimidated by his inexperience as he felt—uncertain if he would be a clumsy or awkward lover or not, but I would like to start such explorations with you—if you are interested and feel ready.

It’s okay if you aren’t ready or are too tired
    , he continued, trying to cushion himself against the rejection he feared might come, or if the thought of my family noticing we are up to something makes you as edgy as your father makes me, but I can make it so that no one will hear a sound from my room or your’s so we won’t alert my family to what we are up to.

He was falling into her eyes again, loosing himself in their depths. He was aware his hands were still moving, now slightly ahead of her guidance but ready to stop if he sensed her pausing them or redirecting them elsewhere.

Be strong for her if you need to, John—even if you don’t understand how stopping before having sex in her room was considered foolish but not fooling around here would be inappropriate.

He broke eye contact. He couldn’t be sure he wouldn’t say something foolish to cover his inability to know what the right, proper, and desired thing to do was.

Correction: More foolish.

If it isn’t time or this isn’t the place for things to progress, we can wait.

Don’t say you love her.

I…

Or should you?

I…

His body might be yearning for her, but it was his heart that was most intensely reaching out for her.

No. Not I. You. What would you like to do?

Spoiler: End of Session!
    Show
    John grows into his vision of himself, having successfully deduced the threat that is inherent in Vrell, addressing it, and beginning to learn Demonic from her—providing a possible path for better understanding their enemies. Along the way, he managed a greater demon and a dragon.

Despite some rocky moments, his relationship does appear to be progressing quite well with Emi—despite the increased competition for her attention and his uncertainty about what the correct thing to do is during several emotionally charged moments.

Freak Down, Savior Up

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 7th
    Providence
    One of Emi’s hands comes up to skim the side of John’s jaw before tilting his head back up to look into her eyes.

While I would like to do such things with you, you’re right about me being skittish about your family being here, she says gently. Her face flushes slightly. I don’t want to influence their minds by forcing them not to pay attention, and I’m not as familiar with the feeling of their consciousnesses to be able to make any emotions or power I might emit during such… activities… flow around them. I really don’t want to have an awkward conversation in the morning about everyone having oddly amorous dreams or something.

I hope you understand, she says, looking deeply into his eyes. I want to. I really do, John.

The psychic sighs and her brow furrows slightly. But I can’t.

3. - Top - End - #393

OldWizardGuy

November 7th
    Providence
    One of Emi’s hands comes up to skim the side of John’s jaw before tilting his head back up to look into her eyes.

While I would like to do such things with you, you’re right about me being skittish about your family being here, she says gently. Her face flushes slightly. I don’t want to influence their minds by forcing them not to pay attention, and I’m not as familiar with the feeling of their consciousnesses to be able to make any emotions or power I might emit during such… activities… flow around them. I really don’t want to have an awkward conversation in the morning about everyone having oddly amorous dreams or something.

I hope you understand, she says, looking deeply into his eyes. I want to. I really do, John.

The psychic sighs and her brow furrows slightly. But I can’t.
    The word can’t cleared his brain instantly and his eyes grew serious and focused wholly on her.

Then we don’t, John projected with finality. He could hear in his tone the echoes of the way both his parents would make it clear to the other that whatever that topic was, the discussion was over because an important line was about to be crossed and they wanted—needed—that line respected by the other.

If he was fortunate enough to have Emi stay in his life, they would develop such tones that they would recognize with one another.

Someone may take my probationarily returned Man Card for saying this, he continued as his hands drifted to her hips and a position he would not be embarrassed to be caught in if his mother came up the stairs.

Projecting this.

Except that his hands were still under her nightshirt—which would be a compromised position to be caught in by his mother.

He was beginning to falter under the dual pressure of her eyes and his feelings.

Focus, John.

Whichever it is, it’s enough right now that you want to even if we can’t. It may sound sappy but it makes me feel…

DON”T SAY IT.

(Oh, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.)

Cared. Feel cared for.

Besides, he continued with a sheepish smile, hoping Emi wasn’t too upset or startled by his mental outburst, I’m certain that I would not be able to remain at all composed during that kind of a breakfast conversation.

“Good night, mo chuisle”*, he whispered, trying out his grandfather’s pet name for his grandmother on Emi for size. “Pleasant dreams.”

Spoiler: * The translation from the Irish
    Show
    My pulse
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2023-06-07 at 07:51 AM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 7th
    Providence
    Emi pulls John in for one final kiss, smiling against his lips.

Thank you, John. I appreciate how much you care about my concerns. It’s… she trails off as she pulls back. A gentle pressure pushes John’s hands down from her hips and she steps back, moving to the door of her room.

She smiles at John’s new name for her. “Goodnight. See you at 7,” Emi says as she closes her door.

5. - Top - End - #395

OldWizardGuy

Providence, 3 AM
    The breeze blew gently outside of the Kelley household as the temperature dipped into the 30s. The work the family had done to add extra layers of insulation and the residual heat from the Franklin Stove, which had heated the central brick chimney enough to radiate heat throughout the night, helped keep the old house snug enough for its occupants—cocooned, as they were, by the warmth of heath, home, and affection.

John slept through the night, his dreams untroubled by the outside world.

London, 8AM
    The Homunculus writhed in its sleep, squelching itself further into the mud and blood-soaked clothing that made up its nest. The homeless population had provided more than enough flesh and material for its nest to satisfy its needs.

It had particularly savored the runaway it had come across the week before. The despair the runaway felt knowing no one would either miss or find her was a sauce to savor.

Particular. It shuddered uncomfortably at the word as it struggled against its unquiet dreams—dreams I which the magician’s joy stabbed at its eyes like the sun on a bright and cloudless day.

It squirmed further down into the mire, releasing the soothing metallic scent of blood from where it had soaked into the teen’s cloth.

Providence, 6 AM
    Joe listened to the movements from above as he quietly descended the stairs and made his way to the kitchen. He could hear some of the false starts and hesitations born of a guess being in the house as his family adjusted its timing for getting in and out of the bathroom on the fly.

If she came back often enough, he thought as he pulled out the mixing bowl, Emi would integrate into that routine—especially if she was staying in John’s room.

He stood up straight at the thought and rolled his eyes at himself. Mary and Kate had gotten him doing it now.

It wasn’t that he objected to that thought, he assured himself (and also, if it turned out Mary was right, Emi as well). It was that it wasn’t his decision to make or place to interfere. Yes, he was in charge of the family’s logistics (an occupational hazard) and would be the one in charge of figuring out how to get a larger bed up the stairs and into John’s room without raising a fuss or attracting too much attention.

(1. He could shop for a new mattress for him and Mary and move the old upstairs. 2. He could order one of those memory foam things and have it discretely delivered. 3) He could have John teleport it in—assuming John could do that kind of a thing.)

Even so, the conversation about that kind of thing would be initiated by John or Emi—not by him or Mary.

Not that he would be able to control Mary on that point, he conceded. She and Kate had clearly decided they not only approved of Emi but wanted her to be a part of their family.

He pushed back the memories of the heartbreak he had seen over the years in places like Kosovo, Iraq, Ethiopia, and Afghanistan.

Too many things could change. Too many things were uncertain.

He took a deep breath, looked around his kitchen, and smiled.

As uncertain as the world was, John and Emi could handle it if they wanted to.

But that was all for the future. Right now, he had pancakes to make and the immediate moment to enjoy.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 8th
    Providence
    Emi descends the stairs in the morning using the back stairwell at about 6:45am. She’s dressed in a tan sweater and jeans with matching ankle high boots. Her makeup is light, and she has a small makeup bag under arm.

She says a quick good morning to Joe as she walks through the kitchen and rounds the corner to where the door to the office and the hallway connect, and where she had remembered there being an extra bathroom. “I’m just going to finish getting ready in here, if you don’t mind. Just trying to stay out of everyone’s way.

Spoiler: Emi Being Curious and Sneaky
    Show
    Careful not to actually shut the bathroom door all the way she waits until she sees and feels that Joe’s attention is back on getting breakfast ready before the bright orange binder she’d spotted last night floats into the bathroom so that she can quickly skim through it before it returns exactly to it’s place when his attention is once again away from the stove.

She returns the kitchen with her full makeup done and looks at the spread for the morning. “Is there anything I can help with?” she asks Joe as her bag floats back up the stairs, headed toward her room.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2023-06-08 at 08:02 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397

OldWizardGuy

November 8th
    Providence
    Emi descends the stairs in the morning using the back stairwell at about 6:45am. She’s dressed in a tan sweater and jeans with matching ankle high boots. Her makeup is light, and she has a small makeup bag under arm.

She says a quick good morning to Joe as she walks through the kitchen and rounds the corner to where the door to the office and the hallway connect, and where she had remembered there being an extra bathroom. “I’m just going to finish getting ready in here, if you don’t mind. Just trying to stay out of everyone’s way.

Spoiler: Emi Being Curious and Sneaky
    Show
    Careful not to actually shut the bathroom door all the way she waits until she sees and feels that Joe’s attention is back on getting breakfast ready before the bright orange binder she’d spotted last night floats into the bathroom so that she can quickly skim through it before it returns exactly to it’s place when his attention is once again away from the stove.
    The hard copy Hot File, based on the table of contents’ references to appendices that do not have tabs, is a summary document. The list of young men (incomplete) that Emi has been seen with over the last three years, for example, has no printout.

Nevertheless, the organization makes skimming through the document something Emi can do quickly and efficiently.

Most of the tabbed sections seem to follow the Myriad “Who Is…?” page for East Side. The printouts include basic information — for example, the web page for her boarding school in New York. One or two points have been highlighted on the page and, like many others, appear less for calling attention to information that might be on a test or for further follow up and more for places where one might start a conversation.

Also, there is a note that any mention of her mother is missing and that Mary and the rest of the family should probably avoid that topic for now.

While there are a handful of items from the tabloids in here, they are exclusively instances where she has been seen with John. Whether she is picking something up psychically or via the little physical clues that paper can sometimes hint at — the curl of a page, a greater level of shine where ink has been smeared, Emi can tell Mary has lingered over those photographs.

The last three tabs, however, are different: Plans, Rivals, and Conclusion.

Whatever anxiety or excitement she might have felt at the plans section quickly dissipates, as it is mostly concerned with the things needed to be done to prepare for her arrival, which is organized by who is to do the task and further broken down by the dates and times the tasks should be finished.

Every box has been neatly ticked.

There are two pages under Rivals — one for Mastroianni and the other for Radke. Mastroianni appears to have gotten more of Mary’s attention. Also of note is that, on the right hand top of his Wikipedia page is the phrase “Assign to Jefferey.”

The notes for Grayson are more sparse and are headed by a social media photo of him with Emi followed by the kind of report one can by from Intellus for $25. In the upper right hand corner is the phrase “Assign to Kate.” Her handwritten notes include a list of several provisional heroes he might be (with Draconian, Goldenheart, Kid Vitrian, Meteor, and a couple of others being possiblities) alongside the possibility of his being a Myriad agent in training or a friend she has made at university who provides an anchor of normalcy.

Under the conclusions tab, Emi comes across a letter addressed to her.

Spoiler: The Letter Addressed to Emi
    Show
    Dear Miss Emilia Shaw,

I have no way of knowing if you will ever read this or, if you ever do, when you will read it. It may be soon or it may be years from now—either when we are laughing over the strangeness of first visits or when your are helping sort through my effects. If those futures are not on the cards, however, this will be destroyed and no harm will come of it.

My primary reason for writing you is that, in two days, you will arrive to stay at our home in the company of my firstborn and I need to begin to think of you more as a person and less as a research subject. As Joe points out, if I am—as I plan—to place you in a room set aside for close family, we should use familiar names with you—which means I need to quickly recalibrate the way I think and speak of you.

I also need to order my thoughts about your visit and writing helps in that process. You will be, with the possible exception of Jefferey (who was a small child at the time), the first person brought home to meet the family. Yes, Kate has had young men arrive and have ‘the talk’ with Joe before and Stephen has brought a girl or two to dinner, but this is different.

Not that I haven’t enjoyed the process. It has been an interesting challenge to prepare for your visit. Such nonsense has been written and implied about you over the years. But even in that nonsense, there have been hints of things. An offhand comment in Novella 2000 about your ‘women’s intuition’ makes me suspect you will be able to hear our surface thoughts. If that is the case, of course, all one would have to do is keep one’s thoughts elsewhere to prevent you from knowing what might be coming next.

If this is the case, however, it would be no different from meeting someone with exceptional hearing. One could not blame them from overhearing things in the natural course of events. If it is natural for you to overhear our thoughts, I hope that the lads in Stephen’s quartet remain well behaved.

I should be more cautious of your arrival—more reserved—but confess that I am finding it difficult to do so. This has less to do with you than it does with what I have been seeing in John. He is more himself (if more mature and, if possible, more earnest) since meeting you. We cannot know everything that happened to him after his fateful visit to the British Museum but what I am speaking of goes beyond what is restricted or classified information.

I have grown used to those kinds of gaps due to Joe’s line of work.

You should know that something still haunts him from those early days as Dee. His handler—an AEGIS agent at City of London—spoke with us in the days immediately after the Windsor Incident to assure us that he was recovering and would be in touch when he could. And there has been another gap in communication that he will not speak of.

You are not in a position to know what his eyes look like when you are not there but they change for the better when you are the subject of conversation.

It gives me hope for him. And, perhaps, for the two of you.

I mentioned a woman’s intuition earlier. I am aware that I have more of it than most and always have. So does Joe and the rest of the family (John has, I think, learned something of why that is but has not yet disclosed what he knows.). My intuition is clearer in person so we will have to see if my opinions of you change, but I have a good feeling about you as a person—even if I do not yet know what that means. Nor do I know how much is colored by my hopes for my son.

He is such a good boy and you are beginning to touch the age when that begins to matter more. He may not be as handsome as Enzo Mastroianni (nor as rich — even considering John’s newfound wealth) and I admit that I am writing from a mother’s bias that I cannot imagine Mastroianni or Grayson Radke are as worthy as he is.

In this way, he is like his father: He can hide himself within a strong, professional persona. I hope you can see through that and know when he needs your support—the support his mother is no longer in a position of offer him.

I’ve looked at that last sentence for a surprisingly long time.

I must confess that I am surprised to find that a part of me hopes you will find a way to read this during your brief visit with us. As Joe might remind me, there is no need to rush things but if you are an important part of John’s life now and, as such, I would like to get to know you better. We won’t have time to sit down to tea and talk during this whirlwind of a trip. Perhaps we can arrange something for later.

I’ll have to give that possibility some thought.

I look forward to meeting you, Emilia Shaw, and seeing how closely aligned my impressions of you are. If they are close enough, I know we will get on well.

With growing affection,

Mary

She returns the kitchen with her full makeup done and looks at the spread for the morning. “Is there anything I can help with?” she asks Joe as her bag floats back up the stairs, headed toward her room.
    “You can come and keep me company before the others arrive,” Joe responds with a winning smile before it turns conspiratorial. “Now’s your chance to ask whatever questions you have while Mary and Kate aren’t around hatching their plans for or with you.

“Kate usually hops up on the counter about there,” he said, pointing to a stretch of countertop. “Between you, me, and anyone else paying any bit of attention, she would be thrilled to sit there next to you when she comes down—although from the sound of things last night, that may be setting John up to become the victim of another plot.”

While he was clearly looking forward to Mary’s retelling of the events from last night, it was clear Joe believed that was a story to be heard from the teller when they were ready to tell. There were sure to be some embellishments but he was sure that, if Kate laughter that much, it was going to be a good one.

“Unless, that is, you are here to try and steal my pancake techniques, of course,” he teased, sprinkling a mixture of blueberries and chocolate onto the uncooked sides of one of the pancakes. “Those you’ll have to drag out of me. But that probably wouldn’t be much of a challenge for you anyway.”

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 8th
    Providence
    Emi returns Joe’s smile before she hops up on the counter and crosses her legs at the knees. “I’d hate to disappoint Kate.”

“Honestly, I’ve really enjoyed talking to her,” Emi says. “Plans or no plans. One of my best friends has been preoccupied this past week with her new boyfriend, so I’m happy to get to talk to someone. The team’s been extremely busy as well with everything going on, so this trip, as short as it is, has been relaxing for me.”

9. - Top - End - #399

OldWizardGuy

November 8th
    Providence
    Emi returns Joe’s smile before she hops up on the counter and crosses her legs at the knees. “I’d hate to disappoint Kate.”

“Honestly, I’ve really enjoyed talking to her,” Emi says. “Plans or no plans. One of my best friends has been preoccupied this past week with her new boyfriend, so I’m happy to get to talk to someone. The team’s been extremely busy as well with everything going on, so this trip, as short as it is, has been relaxing for me.”
    “I’m glad to see you making yourself at home,” Joe confessed, “and that you came down early enough that I get a little time with such a charming young lady. I was certain that Mary and Kate would be willing to even steal some of your time from John so I had decided I didn’t stand a chance to really speak with you except during the trip to and from the airport.”

“I try to make it a point of not disappointing the two of them,” he continued a little more seriously, “unless I absolutely have to. It’s not just out of love. When I go into the field, it’s for weeks to months at a time. I do my best to make up for that when I’m here. The boys pretend to be more resilient, but I suspect they sometimes feel it, too. John’s and my attempts at DIY are as much about spending time together as they are about fixing up this old place.”

“But I’ve very glad to hear you have found it relaxing here. Even with your poise, confidence, and training, coming into a new environment like this isn’t easy. Of course, if Mary’s theories about you overhearing our surface thoughts is correct, it might involve less guesswork as to what is happening around you. Whether it’s true or not, you have fit right in and not let our family dynamics make you jumpy.

“I’m happy that we have been able to provide you with some respite from whatever is happening in Iron Station.”

From the front of the house, came the sound of someone bouncing down the stairs. “Speaking of Kate, here she comes,” Joe observed, mentally shifting the conversation in a direction that would open a space for Kate and respect any desire Emi might have to discuss other, less personal things..

“The dancing last night was the true test on whether the patio we laid down a year and a half ago was done as well as we thought,” Joe said as he looked forward to having two of, depending on how you count, his three to four girls chatting with him—although Samantha was not yet confident enough in her place to let her hair down with him yet. “I could point out every mistake we made on that thing but Mary reminds me that no one but John and me notice or care.”

“How do you like your pancakes, Emi? I need to get Stephen’s and Mary’s done first, since they are the ones with a set departure time, but after that it’s first come, first served.”

Kate bopped around the corner and into the kitchen, wearing a Brown sweatshirt, thick black leggings, and a pair of L.L. Bean slippers. She smiled brightly when she found Emi sitting on the counter. “Good morning, Emi! I see you’ve found the best seat in the house.”

She hopped up beside her, shoulder to shoulder. “Well, at least one of my favorite seats. I heard John beginning to move around upstairs so his heart seems to have held up after his shock last night.”

Joe glanced over at the two of them. “You two will give the boy a fighting chance, won’t you?”

“The way I see it,” Kate replied, giving her father a look, “Emi’s arrival has evened the odds.”

“John’s the mathematician,” Joe replied with a wry look, “but I suspect it’s a lot closer to tipping the scales than evening the odds.”

“You might be right,” Kate conceded. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone turn that shade of red so quickly after being pale.”

“Try not to break him too permanently,” Joe chided, now more interested than ever in hearing the story. “The world needs heroes, after all.”

“Of all shapes and sizes,” Kate replied, completing one of the old adages she had heard him use with his employees.

“Exactly,” he replied with mock seriousness as he picked up Mary and Stephen’s plates. “Good turn of phrase. I should write that down.”

“So,” Kate whispered to Emi conspiratorially as her father rounded the corner towards the table, “have you had a chance to peek at Mom’s notes yet or do you need me to steal them for you? I’m supposed to be finding out what I can about your friend, Grayson Radke. There’s suspiciously little out there about him—although I did find a picture he took of the night sky someone posted on an astronomy board.

“You two seem like you are really good friends,” Kate observed watching closely “I hope John hasn’t gotten too worried about him.”

10. - Top - End - #400

NinjaGuy

November 2nd
    Living Room

Ryker looks between Louis, Keith, and Harbinger. "Oh ho, Big Man is a little pissed off this mornin'," he says with a quiet snicker to those on the couch. "Ain't it Raph and I's job to piss off the angels?"

"Enough!" Harbinger snaps. His wings flare open slightly as he glares around the room. "This meeting is over. If you want to keep arguing about this, do it on your own time."

The angel sweeps from the room, heading down the hallway toward the roof.

After an awkward moment, Drake and Yuki head back to the living quarters to get their bags.
    "So this is what you do? Just walk away from your problems?" Louis spits as the older hero disappears down the hall. "Very heroic."

He shakes his head then takes a quick look at the faces that remained in the room. "If there's nothing left to say then I'm out of here." Louis states, heading towards the mouth of the hallway.

A flash of light.

"If you need me-" The hero starts as he returns to his room.

"Send and email." His double utters, making his way back to the laboratory.

November 3rd
    Date Night

“I’m sure you have,” Izzy replies quietly. “Especially with everything going on right now. I know the news isn’t being completely truthful. They don’t seem to know why there’s been a sudden uptick in missing people, or what exactly those things are that some people have been getting pictures of. They keep saying that they’re new Riverfolk, but I don’t think that’s what they are.”
    If she only knew the half of it. Louis thought to himself as Izzy shared her theory. A slideshow of his memories from the past two weeks began to replay in his mind. She was right about the disappearances and the Riverfolk but he doubted she'd sleep more soundly if she knew the truth behind it all.

She listens to Noah start the first chords of ‘Drive’ by Incubus and give Louis a smile before she turns to watch her bandmate really get into the first verse and chorus. He has a smile on his face that gets wider as a few people up near his stage join in to sing a few lines with him.

“I think he’s starting to,” she says as their waitress comes by and drops off two plates of lobster ravioli.
    "Coach looks like he's really in his element up there." Louis observes as the audience contributes to the performance.

Izzy unfolds her napkin to get her silverware and sets the napkin in her lap before taking a quick bite. Her eyes roll back a little in bliss at the taste of the dish. “This food,” she deadpans before she gives Louis a quick smile.
    "Better than Chef Boyardeen?" Louis asks jokingly before taking a bite of his own dish. "Damn... that's even better than I remember."

“Not music related, huh? Oof, that’s hard. That’s kinda my whole life, ya know?”
    "I know. That's what makes it a great question." He says wearing a self satisfied smirk. Louis uses the opportunity to shovel another bite of ravioli into his mouth as he waits for the Latina's answer.

“My cat makes me happy,” she says jokingly. Then she looks up, into Louis’ eyes. “Uhmm… you… make me happy.”

Her caramel skin flushes, and she swiftly looks back down at her food and takes another bite before glancing back up at the high octane hero.
    Louis smiles at the mention of Ray and looks up from his plate to meets Izzy’s gaze. His chewing comes to a sudden stop when she lists him as a source of happiness.

A trickle of pink seeps into his sun-kissed features as he's filled with a mixture of surprise and satisfaction upon hearing her words. He hadn't expected to be listed among the things that illicited happiness in her life, yet, though he already knew it was something he wanted.

Louis forcibly swallows his mouthful of ravioli and smiles contentedly at the caramel skinned woman sitting across from him. "You know, after the whole kidnapping thing I didn’t think I'd get a second chance at this. But here I am second only to Ray, if we exclude everything else. Don't know how I managed to pull that off exactly but I'm really glad I decided to come back to that coffee shop. Everything just... seems better with you in the mix."
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2023-06-09 at 01:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 3rd
    Date Night
    Once dinner starts, Noah switches to a fully instrumental set. He uses the pedals he has set up in conjunction with his laptop to create loops, letting him add solos over a backing track. Louis can identify versions of several popular songs.

Izzy rolls her eyes in mock exasperation. “You know that’s not what I meant, Louis.”

Her gaze softens as she looks at him again. “I’m serious. I’m having a great time today,” she says with a smile. “I’m really glad you came by the coffee shop too.”

“Your friends seem cool, by the way. A little weird, but cool.” She cuts another ravioli in half and eats one, thinking for a moment. “It’s kinda cool that I can say that I’ve met members of the West and South Side teams. I kinda doubt a lot of people have.”

November 8th
    Providence
    “Your wife is… something else. She’s brilliant,” Emi says with quiet earnestness. “And I’ll confess that her theory is correct. I do hear thoughts. I try my best to block them out, but you’re correct as well. It does make it easier to maneuver through conversations. There are people that can completely block their thoughts from me though. John is one of them.”

As Kate comes down the stairs, Emi shifts topics with Joe, leaning her shoulder into John’s sister as she hops up beside her. “I’ll take some straight blueberry ones. It’s been awhile since I’ve had some.”

Emi gives Kate a sideways grin as she and Joe speak about not breaking John, but stays quiet, wanting Kate to tell the story if she wished.

Once Joe rounds the corner, Emi glances over at the other girl, the shakes her head and smiles. “I got the chance to peek just a little while ago. She’s very thorough. I’m sure that she’ll know that I’ve looked as well.”

Kate can see a small smile at the corner of Emi’s lips as she asks about Grayson. “He’s one of my best friends. Of course John is nervous. John overthinks everything.”

“What did you want to know about him? I can tell you basics. He attends Bastion College with me and is an astrophysics major. He’s also a talented musician.”

12. - Top - End - #402

OldWizardGuy

November 8th
    Providence
    “Your wife is… something else. She’s brilliant,” Emi says with quiet earnestness. “And I’ll confess that her theory is correct. I do hear thoughts. I try my best to block them out, but you’re correct as well. It does make it easier to maneuver through conversations. There are people that can completely block their thoughts from me though. John is one of them.”
    “You think you have it bad?” Joe said with an amused expression, “Imagine trying to surprise a woman like that for her birthday, Christmas, and anniversary year in-year out. I consider myself a lucky man that Valentine’s Day is standardized.

“Still, once I found out that a woman with Daphne Blake’s looks and Velma Dinkly’s brain would give me the time of day, I didn’t look back.”

Me smiled a little mischievously when he recalled his conversation with Mary last night but decided not to mention it.

“For what it’s worth,” he said, studiously not turning to face Emi, “I didn’t suspect and Kate and Stephen don’t know. I’m glad to hear John still has free reign to at least try to surprise you—at least on those days he isn’t trying to live his life by formula.”

As Kate comes down the stairs, Emi shifts topics with Joe, leaning her shoulder into John’s sister as she hops up beside her. “I’ll take some straight blueberry ones. It’s been awhile since I’ve had some.”

Emi gives Kate a sideways grin as she and Joe speak about not breaking John, but stays quiet, wanting Kate to tell the story if she wished.

Once Joe rounds the corner, Emi glances over at the other girl, the shakes her head and smiles. “I got the chance to peek just a little while ago. She’s very thorough. I’m sure that she’ll know that I’ve looked as well.”
    Kate rolled her eyes while giving an exasperated sigh. “Welcome to life in the FPO.” Kate’s mind almost ran off track when she noted the implication of that statement. “We had a chance of getting John before you arrived. It would take all of us working together to get Mom. ANd even then, odds are we would get to the moment before we sprung our trap and she would turn the tables.”

Kate can see a small smile at the corner of Emi’s lips as she asks about Grayson. “He’s one of my best friends. Of course John is nervous. John overthinks everything.”

“What did you want to know about him? I can tell you basics. He attends Bastion College with me and is an astrophysics major. He’s also a talented musician.”
    “It’s good to know some things haven’t changed about John since taking up the mantle of Iron Station’s occult protector or Magister Magius* or whatever he is calling himself when making a speech.

Spoiler: * Translated from the Latin
    Show
    Master Magician

“Not that I or any other Kelley would ever do such a thing,” she concedes with good natured self-mockery.

She looked at Emi, becoming a little more serious—and a little more nervous for John—before looking away. “If Big Brother is nervous, I am guessing Grayson—like three quarters of the other straight men on the planet—has a thing for you.

“There are other questions I am not going to ask,” she continued as she noted her father walking to the front of the house to call up to Stephen and find out how close to being ready he was—even though he already knew the answer. “If John is nervous, that means he spends a good bit of time with you. Given that Grayson arrives at Bastion in your Porsche too often for the two of you not to be colleagues on some level. And if John isn’t telling us those details, that’s information I don’t need to know.”

She looked at Emi seriously. “My family and Jefferey have gotten used to keeping things quiet, given Dad’s deployments. That supposition will be safe with us—well, Mom and me. I don’t know if Dad or Stephen suspect or not.”

“Secret or not, it can’t be easy for you,” Kate observed sympathetically, thinking of the handful of young men she had to friendzone over the years—and of all the time John had spent relegated to that role. “I hope Grayson and John aren’t making it difficult for you.”

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 8th
    Providence
    Emi looks Kate in the eye after she makes the observation about Grayson getting rides in her Porsche, the gives her a small nod to let her know that her speculation is correct.

Kate notices just a flicker of something like regret cross Emi’s features before she carefully masks it. “It’s always been complicated between us,” she admits. “When I met him, he could barely say two words to anyone, his anxiety was so bad. Over the last two years that I’ve known him, he’s come so far. But he could never work up the courage to say anything about his feelings to me.”

After a moment, she looks over at Kate and holds her gaze, then seems to make a decision to continue. “I won’t lie and say that I don’t have a soft spot for him,” she says quietly. “Or… that I wouldn’t have said yes if he did finally ask, before I started dating John.”

“It has been… difficult, trying to find the right balance between the two of them. I feel horrible pulling away from Grayson, when I know that I am one of his only friends, but I know that me spending time with him stresses John. Your brother has been nothing but kind to Grayson through. And Grayson understands that the two of us are just friends.”

14. - Top - End - #404

OldWizardGuy

November 8th
    Providence
    Emi looks Kate in the eye after she makes the observation about Grayson getting rides in her Porsche, the gives her a small nod to let her know that her speculation is correct.

Kate notices just a flicker of something like regret cross Emi’s features before she carefully masks it. “It’s always been complicated between us,” she admits. “When I met him, he could barely say two words to anyone, his anxiety was so bad. Over the last two years that I’ve known him, he’s come so far. But he could never work up the courage to say anything about his feelings to me.”

After a moment, she looks over at Kate and holds her gaze, then seems to make a decision to continue. “I won’t lie and say that I don’t have a soft spot for him,” she says quietly. “Or… that I wouldn’t have said yes if he did finally ask, before I started dating John.”

“It has been… difficult, trying to find the right balance between the two of them. I feel horrible pulling away from Grayson, when I know that I am one of his only friends, but I know that me spending time with him stresses John. Your brother has been nothing but kind to Grayson through. And Grayson understands that the two of us are just friends.”
    “Be sure to let me know if John needs some extra motivation to stay that way,” Kate assured Emi with a little relief that her big brother had learned the correct lessons from Chad’s attempted cruelty but filing away that look of something like regret. “A couple of times, he has assured me that I was doing the right thing by insisting Jefferey remain just where he is in my life when I started dating some more insecure men.

“Neither of them lasted long, anyway,” she reported with a little disgust at how narrow minded one of them had been.

“John reminded me at the time that, if they were worthy of me, they would get used to Jefferey while conceding they might occasionally need some soft encouragement. He even volunteered to provide it—even though,” she added with another roll of her eyes, “he had gotten the measure of those two before I did.”

“Reminding him of his own words,” she continued with a mischievous smile, “should help bring him back in line, if it becomes necessary or he needs a little encouragement to stick with the better angels of his gentlemanly nature that he picked up from Conan Doyle and others.—although the seeds if it were already there”

“I hope his gentlemanly nature has at least served him well with your father,” Kate added teasingly—although the teasing was more for her absent brother than for Emi. “Those exchanges must be interesting to watch. Does he keep refining his definitions and explaining what he actually meant while under Eidolon’s penetrating gaze or has he managed to stay out of that trap?”

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 8th
    Providence
    “I’ll keep that in mind,” Emi says with a grin. “As far as my father goes, John has actually impressed him. I know that my father is an intimidating man, but your brother has done well. It helps that he has great manners since my father is partial to such things.”

“Was there anything else you wanted to know to fill out your mother’s notes?” she asks. “You won’t find much in the internet. Most of that has been scrubbed.”

16. - Top - End - #406

OldWizardGuy

November 8th
    Providence
    “I’ll keep that in mind,” Emi says with a grin. “As far as my father goes, John has actually impressed him. I know that my father is an intimidating man, but your brother has done well. It helps that he has great manners since my father is partial to such things.”

“Was there anything else you wanted to know to fill out your mother’s notes?” she asks. “You won’t find much in the internet. Most of that has been scrubbed.”
    “If she really feels the need to know, she will ask,” Kate conceded. “If I am as much my mother’s daughter as Dad, Jefferey, and others say, I suspect part of it is the thrill of the hunt—figuring it out for yourself. Fair warning: John has more than a little bit of that from her as well.”

“I’ll have to try and sneak a look at the folder to see what I missed,” she whispered conspiratorially as she heard her mother coming down the stairs and chatting with her father. “That’s a part of the game—can I predict what she wants to know or not and avoid whatever she is using to see if someone peeked.

“Did you see anything in there you wanted me to feed to her? She won’t have included anything in there about how I am supposed to be investigating, if she was hoping you would find it, so I can be an effective double agent.”

Spoiler: Meanwhile, one room away
    Show
    “Kate and Emi are currently perched on the counter in the kitchen, conspiring about something,” Joe informed Mary with a soft smile. “They are already as thick as thieves.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” Mary replied as she walked into the office, fixing her earring as she mentally ran through her day. The most enjoyable part—breakfast with the family and its new potential addition—would be over all too soon but promised to make a happy way to start to the day.

“Do you have any sense of when they plan to depart?” Mary asked as she reached down to pick up her briefcase. “I can always meet you three for lunch, if they have time.

She stopped, noticing the thin sewing needle lying along the baseboard.

The needle that she had put against the bottom of the Hot Folder.

The needle that fit just under the edge of the notebook cover and could not be seen except at eye level, which required kneeling down.

The needle she put there so that it would roll off and onto the floor if anyone removed the notebook from the shelf.

Mary smiled. Although it was more contained than Kate’s excitement had been the night before, there was something of the same quality about it.

She had got her.

But more than that, she thought as she picked up the needle and placed it in the drawer where she stored some of her keepsakes. More important was that Emi fit in. Like it was for the rest of them, mysteries and puzzles were to be solved.

She glanced at Joe, whose smile was not quite reproving but certainly amused at his wife’s need to know. She knew he had grown to accept that little character flaw long ago—especially since her concern for him while he was in the field kept fueling it.

While her decision to lay a trap for the beautiful, young psychic had bordered on ruthlessness, she also knew it was necessary. She needed to know that Emi possessed those qualities as well.

Her smile broadened a little as she pulled the Hot Folder off the shelf and turned again to the pictures of Emi and John. It was clear that Emi would be able to not only keep up with her brilliant son but that she could and would be able help keep him safe—just as he would do the same for her.

That was important in the ruthless, dangerous world they inhabited.

After checking to see if Emi had left any notes from her, she looked up. Joe was standing there, looking at her with his bemused but beautiful smile.

“Penny for your thoughts?” he asked quietly as he approached his wife, struck, as he was so often, by how beautiful she became when her mind was fully engaged.

“They’re worth far more than that,” she bantered back quietly, glancing toward the kitchen as she set the folder down. “I really like her, Joe. She fits in well and is so good for John.”

“Their choice, Mary,” he reminded her.

“I know,” she replied. “But I can sleep better knowing that, whether it works out or not, that they are good for one another and can take care of one another.”

She turned back towards him. “Pancakes ready?”

“They’re on the table.”

“Stephen,” she called out.

“Coming, Mom,” came the reply from the third floor.

17. - Top - End - #407

AssassinGuy

November 2nd, Post Meeting

Keith sat at his laptop typing up the information on the Empire to send out for everyone, glancing at his phone on the desk beside him and sighed.

"You should really just send her a good morning or something, Master." Stolas chirped as he made his way through various notebooks for information to add into the email. The raven was enjoying seeing the shadowmancer struggle, not that he would admit it, but he did feel he should offer advice when it was needed.

"Sending it may also put your mind at ease. I know Master Louis has struck a nerve, and that went about as you had expected. Not that either of us could see Harbinger getting involved."

"Or attacked like that by Louis." Keith said continuing the thought. Stolas smiled from across the room seeing his master finally come to some sense. With another sigh, Keith picked up his phone and drafted a quick text to Maeve.

Spoiler: Text to Maeve
    Show

Hey, I hope the story writing went well and that classes go well today. Think Harbinger is going to put us through the ringer in a bit. Morning meeting mayhem. Oh, and knock that test out of the park too!

He felt a bit better after hitting send, though he was still a bit heated. Anger and guilt were a bad combination for him, and even with the outburst, he wasn't sure he belonged on the team at all. At least not around Louis with everything going on.

"Hey, Stolas," Keith turned around to look at the raven. "Do you think Red Light knew about me?"

Stolas looked upwards for a moment and shrugged. "It's hard to say. Your connection was kept fairly well hidden, even though your name never changed. If she did know, I think she would have kept it a secret from Louis just so he wouldn't hunt down another his age for the sins of the father."

Keith nodded and looked at the ground. "Think he'll actually ever be ok with it? Doubt he cares about the blood connection now but more so knowing about the entire Empire. that, and from everything we've known, they have never once targeted Iron Station. Even uncle said they avoided it."

They both shrugged. It wasn't like they had the answer for it. Maybe it was because of the River King and not wanting to deal with it. Keith was lost in thought for a moment, thinking back to the events from this morning and last night at the East Side roof. And escorting Natasha home.

Stolas broke the silence, keeping Keith off the trail of what he should have picked up about Natasha. He would let him know, eventually. "Master, what if Ozul just views the ugly catfish as beneath him? Also, I feel this should go without saying but do not mention the nausea of Ms. Balinski's to Seraph. I have a feeling she wants to keep that hidden with other concerns."

Keith huffed a laugh at Stolas's comment on the River King, and it did keep in line with how Jason would have thought. Though he tilted his head at the mention of keeping the nausea a secret.

"I hadn't thought about mentioning it since she said she would talk with a doctor, but..... Did I miss somethin'?"

"Big time."

Keith shrugged. "Guess I'll figure that out while working on this. Betcha Louis throws this in the email trash unless it has Seraph's name on it."

"20 Baubles."

Keith turned to look at him and shook his head. "Fine, I owe you a few already."

Spoiler: End of Session Stuff
    Show

Keith gaines 3 Xp!
    Benny EXP: 1d6 5
    Keith's last Benny converts to XP and Keith reaches Veteran!
    OOC: Still deciding power points spending.

Stolas gains 2 XP!
    Benny EXP: 3#1d6 6 3 4
    1 Benny Converts to XP!

MASKs Moves.
    Keith has finally come clean to the team about his past and who he really is. The son of a villain. While some took this in stride and some already knew, a few have taken this as an affront. It was expected that one would at least. But Keith felt he had back up on his side after the encouragement from John and knew he had someone that could be trusted to help should a fight break out. This trust was also gained again during the late conversation with Grayson and the gecko.
    Keith inadvertently grows closer to the team, and as John already has influence, he shifts Keith's labels.
    Clears Guilty.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 2nd
    Keith
    There’s a quiet knock on Keith’s door about fifteen minutes after he leaves the living room. If he opens it, he finds Aeryn on the other side. He shifts a little as he looks down at Keith. “Hey,” the alien says. “I just wanted to make sure you were okay. If you wanna talk or… what was the word Ryker used… vent, I’m here.”

November 8th
    Providence
    “Interesting,” Emi says with a raised eyebrow. “She actually did include in a note that you were to do research on Grayson, while Jefferey was supposed to look into Enzo.”

At Mary’s shout up the stairs, Emi gently floats down off the counter and turns to look at Kate with a smile. “If I don’t get a chance to tell you later, I’ve throughly enjoyed your company. It’s refreshing being treated as Emi, and not Siren.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2023-06-10 at 02:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409

NinjaGuy

November 3rd
    Date Night

Once dinner starts, Noah switches to a fully instrumental set. He uses the pedals he has set up in conjunction with his laptop to create loops, letting him add solos over a backing track. Louis can identify versions of several popular songs.
    Damn, he's good. Wonder how long he's been at this?

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    Izzy rolls her eyes in mock exasperation. “You know that’s not what I meant, Louis.”

Her gaze softens as she looks at him again. “I’m serious. I’m having a great time today,” she says with a smile. “I’m really glad you came by the coffee shop too.”
    "I know." Louis admits with a smile and a small nod. "And the sun hasn't even set yet. Which reminds me, make sure you save some room for dessert okay?"

“Your friends seem cool, by the way. A little weird, but cool.” She cuts another ravioli in half and eats one, thinking for a moment. “It’s kinda cool that I can say that I’ve met members of the West and South Side teams. I kinda doubt a lot of people have.”
    "Oh yeah?" Louis raises a brow with interest. "That's surprising. Our band rarely leaves a good impression." He grins as he casts his gaze over the water.

"Trouble seems to follow us wherever we go lately. Which makes you either brave, lucky, or both." His eyes return to the Latina, quickly looking her over. "Definitely both. So what was your opinion on heroes before I cut in line?"

20. - Top - End - #410

OldWizardGuy

November 8th
    Providence
    “Interesting,” Emi says with a raised eyebrow. “She actually did include in a note that you were to do research on Grayson, while Jefferey was supposed to look into Enzo.”

At Mary’s shout up the stairs, Emi gently floats down off the counter and turns to look at Kate with a smile. “If I don’t get a chance to tell you later, I’ve throughly enjoyed your company. It’s refreshing being treated as Emi, and not Siren.”
    “Dad was very specific about making sure you felt welcome for who you were and not for your titles,” Kate observed as her eyes shifted back to normal and then to delight at the thought of Emi feeling welcome and comfortable in their home.

It was a good start.

She smiled openly.

“And I’ve had such fun getting to know you! It’s going to be difficult to see you go,” she added, bouncing down off the counter and giving Emi an affectionate hug as they heard John pause his descent one floor above him.

Kate glanced up as Mary and John appeared in the doorway between the kitchen and the short hall that led to the office. “He noticed a piece he could place in the puzzle.”

There was an almost imperceptible intake of breath from Mary when she saw her daughter hugging Emi. For a brief moment, she considered fighting her body’s response to have a tear appear at the corner of her eye.

Joe didn’t bother to try to contain his delighted smile at seeing the two of them.

Two birds with one stone, Mary thought—delighting in their growing closeness and the pun on British English.

“Kate may be a little more open with her emotions than other members of our family,” she observed as she stepped slowly forward—almost as if she were afraid to startle a bird into flight.

“She gets that from me,” Joe teased as he slipped around his three ladies and made his way back to the griddle to start Emi’s and Kate’s pancakes.

Mary glanced at her husband, smiling wryly before turning back towards Emi. “As I was saying,” she said with mock seriousness to her husband’s back, “she is more open but I think I speak for us all that we share her enthusiasm. “It’s been an absolute delight having you here and I hope John finds a way to sneak you up here sooner than Thanksgiving.

“As you probably already know,” she said with absolute sincerity, “I am looking forward to getting to know you better.”

John’s eyes darted up as he finished descending the stairs and found his girlfriend, his sister, and his mother talking.

“Hi…”

Kate suppressed a laugh as a faint blush appeared on his cheeks.

John glanced down, trying to get a handle on himself and beginning to process how close Emi and Kate were standing to one another. “I’m not sure if I should be delighted or frightened to find the three of you assembled here,” he confessed.

“Yes,” Mary replied, offering Emi and Kate a mischievous smile. “Because it likely means that Kate will be soon be telling us what she found so funny last night.”

John’s blush deepened as his father observed, “They had us outnumbered before you brought Emi here, John: two against three. You have no one to blame but yourself for increasing the odds against us.”

“Somehow, I can’t say that I mind,” he replied as his eyes sought out Emi’s—trying to guess at what she was thinking.

21. - Top - End - #411

AssassinGuy

November 2nd
    Keith
    There’s a quiet knock on Keith’s door about fifteen minutes after he leaves the living room. If he opens it, he finds Aeryn on the other side. He shifts a little as he looks down at Keith. “Hey,” the alien says. “I just wanted to make sure you were okay. If you wanna talk or… what was the word Ryker used… vent, I’m here.”
    After the exchange, Keith jumps a bit at the knock and goes to open the door. He smiles a bit realizing it was Aeryn and nods. "Hey, and sure thing. Come on in!" Keith stands back and lets him find a seat as he closes the door again.

As Aeryn askes if he is ok or wants to vent, Keith takes a deep breath and nods. "I appreciate it." He says taking a seat back at the computer and turning the chair around. He wasn't even sure what to vent about. Or where to start.

"No lie, meeting with.... well coming out of the shadows about that was how I expected it to be taken. Though, did expect Raph to about be at my throat. Yuki, Stella, and Sidney took that.... way better than I expected. Might get a visit from one later though, not sure. I think Yuki already knew though." He shook his head and sighed.

He looked at Aeryn and then at the ground again. "Louis though..... have a feelin' this just broke the entire team apart again." Keith shook his head. "East Side found out entirely on accident, though guess Emi knew all along just not sayin' anything."

He shook his head. He had known Aeryn was ok with his past, but he hadn't expected this either. Stolas chimed in next.

"He's in a bit of a state at the moment between writing all this up and the almost fight that broke out. Less so that he was accused of knowing everything, more so in seeing Louis argue with Harbinger."

Keith nods. "I wasn't entirely expecting him to stand up for me either there. And it should have been in a proper meeting, I'll agree." He looked back up at Aeryn. "We were actually just discussing what Red Light may have known. And Stolas was reminding me to send Maeve a 'hope you have a good day' text."

He looks back over at the mound of notebooks Stolas had open. "And sifting through all the info we can get for the big email." He smiles a bit and then looks back directly at Aeryn.

"Are you okay though? I know it got a bit intense in there and hearing about another demon in the house can be....." He tried to grasp the right word for this. "Surprising at best."

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 2nd
    Keith
    “I knew about the demon that John was summoning,” Aeryn replies as he takes a floating seat. “Kind of. Drake told me early this morning that I needed to keep an eye on Sidney while Ryker and Yuki took Stella out of the base, just to be safe and minimize the chances of her curse activating.”

“I think Yuki is keeping what she thinks about it to herself,” he says quietly. “She’ll probably talk to Drake about it today, so I wouldn’t worry too much.”

He considers Keith’s last question, Aeryn looks down and runs a hand through his hair. “This morning was a lot for me. I don’t like seeing teammates fight. It’s not how it’s supposed to be. Like I get that we don’t all have to like each other all the time, but we shouldn’t be fighting. Drake and Ryker and Kenzie fight all the time, but it’s never serious. I mean, a couple times were serious, but—“ he falls silent with a huffed sigh. “You know what I mean, right?”

November 3rd
    Date Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    "I know." Louis admits with a smile and a small nod. "And the sun hasn't even set yet. Which reminds me, make sure you save some room for dessert okay?"
    “I always save room for dessert,” Izzy replies with a smirk. “You know how people joke about have an extra stomach just for dessert? I’m pretty sure I actually have one,” she jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    "Trouble seems to follow us wherever we go lately. Which makes you either brave, lucky, or both." His eyes return to the Latina, quickly looking her over. "Definitely both. So what was your opinion on heroes before I cut in line?"
    “I mean, I count myself as lucky with capital L,” she says, looking at Louis seriously. “I have no idea what would’ve happened to me if you guys hadn’t come to rescue me.”

She thinks for a moment on his question. “I always thought that having powers would be cool. I think that the teams do good work. I never knew anyone that had personally come into contact with any heroes, but there’s tons of articles from the Bellevue Street Journal that would talk about about all of the stuff that you guys do.”

Her expression darkens slightly. “I never read the Inquisitor garbage. It feels like they try to twist the truth on everything, especially when it comes to West Side. And I felt like that before I met you.”

November 8th
    Providence
    “Me too,” Emi replies to Mary. “I’ll have to see if John can teleport us up for dinner sometime soon. Like I told Kate and Joe, I’ve greatly enjoyed the last 20 or so hours. I look forward to more conversations with all of you.”

Hi, Emi replies. Her eyes reveal that she seems almost overjoyed at how the morning is going, and the acceptance that she’s getting from John’s family.

23. - Top - End - #413

OldWizardGuy

November 8th
    Providence
    “Me too,” Emi replies to Mary. “I’ll have to see if John can teleport us up for dinner sometime soon. Like I told Kate and Joe, I’ve greatly enjoyed the last 20 or so hours. I look forward to more conversations with all of you.”

Hi, Emi replies. Her eyes reveal that she seems almost overjoyed at how the morning is going, and the acceptance that she’s getting from John’s family.
    I told you they’d lo-like. That they’d like you, too, John projects. How could they help themselves? Of course, I have probably missed half of what they have been plotting and planning. I’ve been kept suspiciously occupied at several moments.

There’s one in particular that I was quite happy to be occupied with, though.

“I know I don’t have to ask whether I should keep John’s test last night quiet from everyone but Jefferey,” Stephen observed with a too cool for the room air as entered, “but how long do you want me to struggle to maintain plausible deniability? My guess is that rumors of who we played for will have made their way around La Salle at least once by second period.”

“Which means you can expect a call from Sister Anna Marie before noon,” Joe observed slightly nervously to Mary.

“Our great aunt,” Kate noted respectfully to Emi, “and one of the higher ranking nuns in Providence.”

She’s rumored to be a mystic, John added with similar respect. Since my visit to the British Museum, I’ve been a lot less skeptical of that claim.

“Probably so,” Mary observed with a similar level of respect as she turned to Emi. “My great aunt has a formidable presence, my dear, and will want to know whether the stories are true. She will, however, remain discrete when I tell her the stories are true.”

She’s formidable in the same way your father is, John added.

“I hope she won’t disapprove of me,” John confessed.

“Her favorite grand-nephew?” Stephen joked, although the way he tightened his uniform tie hinted that he was having difficulty maintaining his cool. “If she could accept your not going to seminary, she can accept that you’re dating.”

“That’s not what he means, Stephen,” Joe observed. “Church Law is somewhat cloudy on its interpretations around your older brother’s line of work.”

“She loves you, John,” Kate reminded him. “And as intimidating as she can be, that won’t change.”

“The worst that will happen is that she will pray for you,” Mary reminded him firmly. “She’s a good and giving woman.”

“I know,” he conceded, “but you won’t be the one she looks at with disapproval.”

“She looked at me that way until Father Mangan pronounced your mother and I man and wife,” Joe quipped, trying to lighten the mood.”And you can rest assured she had more solid theological ground to base her concerns and disapproval of me at that time.”

“Joe,” Mary began in a warning tone—although John’s half smile reassured her some.

“She’ll be thrilled to meet you,” Mary assured Emi before turning to John, “and no less happy to see you than she has ever been. But Stephen’s immediate question stands: How long would you like us to keep things quiet? I’ve already brushed off a couple questions at work before today. If everyone did not assume John was in London, they would be certain that the two of you have been seen together.”

“Here you go, ladies,” Joe said as he handed plates of pancakes to Emi and Kate. “Plausible deniability will be the best we can probably manage after today. Do you two have a plan for when deniability is no longer plausible?”

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 8th
    Providence
    There have been several plots, Emi agrees.

Emi looks around at the assembled Kelley family. “How long you want to keep everything quiet is up to all of you. I’ll probably be contacted for a couple of interviews, but it will be all of you that may bear the brunt of media attention. Once it gets out that John is dating me, there will be people that are going to look into your family, and camp outside of your house to try and get comments on our relationship, at least for a little while. And I apologize for that, but unfortunately, being Eidolon’s daughter causes these sorts of things.”

She sits in the place she was assigned last night and waits for Kate to join her to start eating her pancakes. “These are delicious Joe,” she says sweetly. “I might need to steal your recipe after all.”

25. - Top - End - #415

AssassinGuy

November 2nd
    Keith
    “I knew about the demon that John was summoning,” Aeryn replies as he takes a floating seat. “Kind of. Drake told me early this morning that I needed to keep an eye on Sidney while Ryker and Yuki took Stella out of the base, just to be safe and minimize the chances of her curse activating.”

“I think Yuki is keeping what she thinks about it to herself,” he says quietly. “She’ll probably talk to Drake about it today, so I wouldn’t worry too much.”

He considers Keith’s last question, Aeryn looks down and runs a hand through his hair. “This morning was a lot for me. I don’t like seeing teammates fight. It’s not how it’s supposed to be. Like I get that we don’t all have to like each other all the time, but we shouldn’t be fighting. Drake and Ryker and Kenzie fight all the time, but it’s never serious. I mean, a couple times were serious, but—“ he falls silent with a huffed sigh. “You know what I mean, right?”
    Keith listened as Aeryn talked about Drake warning him of the demon, and how Yuki went with Ryker and Stella to avoid curse interaction. He nodded as he mentioned it and smiled slightly.

"Makes sense he would have thought that far ahead. And good precaution too." He looked at the ground as Aeryn mentioned Yuki talking with Drake about it. He took a short steadying breath.

"Things always get weird sometimes when people find out. Some really understand why it stays hidden, kinda like how you, John, and Seraph understand the reasoning. Others...... they end up avoiding me entirely. Or...... well think Louis's reaction is more visceral thanks to that. Certainly doesn't help anything either." He shook his head.

As Aeryn talked about how he was feeling, and remembering how South Side fought a lot, he thought back to his first day at West Side. He had altercations with Ian at times, but nothing like what happened with Calvin and certainly not like what he had heard about Kenzie and Drake. Aeryn was right, they all didn't have to liek each other all the time, but fighting among the team was counter productive.

"Can't argue with you there. Don't have to like each other all the time but fighting amonst ourselves....." He shook his head. "I-I'm not even mad really about Louis going off on me, but him insulting Harbinger like that, and trying to run over John's consultations when he's got more knowledge about this than most of us..... It boiled my blood today." He gritted his teeth. "I know Drake and Kenzie had fought about Ryker, but didn't realize they all fought all the time. I'm sorry, Aeryn."

"I know what you mean. They were fighting and it was serious, but it wasn't like earlier where it could have been completely malicious." Keith exhales and looks at the ground. "Malicious may be the wrong word, but I...... I can't say that if Louis had attacked earlier, I would have just turned the other cheek." Keith just shook his head again. "Everything else I have, it all says the same thing too. The Empire never targeted Iron Station before now. There wasn't a reason to."

Keith looks up at Aeryn, some sadness in his eyes. He hadn't wanted to worry his friend. "I don't think we'll actually have a full blown fight on our hands, hope not at least. But, Aeryn, I promise I won't get into a fight with Louis if things get heated again." Keith closed his eyes for a moment. "There's one thing I have to add into this email that didn't get mentioned earlier, and even now I'm still struggling with it. I think this, Rin, that's claiming to be the heir may be my half-sister. John sure seemed to think so anyway. Doubt that'll make things go easier."

26. - Top - End - #416

OldWizardGuy

November 8th
    Providence
    There have been several plots, Emi agrees.

Emi looks around at the assembled Kelley family. “How long you want to keep everything quiet is up to all of you. I’ll probably be contacted for a couple of interviews, but it will be all of you that may bear the brunt of media attention. Once it gets out that John is dating me, there will be people that are going to look into your family, and camp outside of your house to try and get comments on our relationship, at least for a little while. And I apologize for that, but unfortunately, being Eidolon’s daughter causes these sorts of things.”
    “No, dear” Mary immediately responded with steel in her voice and fire in her eyes. “I will not have you apologizing for who you are or who your family is. We can be nothing but proud of your choosing to associate with our John and if this is the cost for having you join us around the table it is a small price to pay. So long as you are one of us, we will respond to this together and without apology to anyone.”

Spoiler: Mary’s feelings on this matter are clear
    Show
    As Mary speaks, Emi can feel her sphere of concern actively extend to include her. Just as unapologetically, her use of the word family vibrates both with a sense of the Shaws and the Kelleys—although there is a recognition the latter is provisional rather than permanent.

So far.

Out of the corner of her eye, Emi caught Joe smirking and raising a self-amused eyebrow.

Mary gave him a look before rolling her eyes in exasperation. “Oh, go ahead and say it. I know you won’t be satisfied until you do and nothing I could say would stop you from saying it anyway.”

Joe looked back to Emi. “My father would remind me from time to time that a Kelley is as good as any man. I may also have repeated that once or twice.”

“He’s displaying his gift for understatement,” Stephen muttered at the table.

“Regardless,” Joe continued, pretending not to notice, “we have nothing to hide or be afraid of. In addition, the FPO has been prepped to be able to say nothing in a sound bite appropriate format about my activities for some time—even though it hasn’t had to do it before now.”

He turned to John. “Standing plans?”

“The Foundation prepared a press release,” John replied, “since any serious research into me will likely uncover my name on a host of official documents. Once my name appears, it will release that to the usual philanthropic journals and major news wires. We hope to get out in front of that via an interview with Aimee Balinski, one the Bellview Street Journals’s reporters who happens to be Seraph’s soon to be sister-in-law. Her profile of me and my work with the Foundation should be enough to keep the media busy for a news cycle or two. That should keep most of the media’s attention on Iron Station rather than Providence.”

And if anything, I have been more interested in telling people we are dating rather than keeping that quiet. I have wanted to keep things low key for you and your family’s sake.

Joe nodded approvingly. “Good, as far as it goes but anything more than that will be a reaction to events rather than prep work anyway. I’m assuming the Foundation is also working up a press packet on you. I’ll have my company’s profile checked and updated and make sure your three’s bios are polished and the Rhode Island Infrastructure Bank has its PR teams to handle inquiries about your mother.”

“Will it annoy the paparazzi if I vamp for the camera?” Kate asked Emi as they walked to the table. “If it will irritate them, Jefferey and I can start practicing later today.”

“And I can always ask if they want to cover the quintet and, if not, to say nothing. Odds are, the nuns will keep them away from me, though.”

“We can work on some standard language tonight,” Mary said as she poured some maple syrup on her pancakes. “But don’t you worry about us, Emi. Truth be told, it will be a relief to be able to directly answer when people ask about you and John at the office.

She sits in the place she was assigned last night and waits for Kate to join her to start eating her pancakes. “These are delicious Joe,” she says sweetly. “I might need to steal your recipe after all.”
    “I’d try and keep it from you but John has a copy of it and I suspect you will be able to get it out of him.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2023-06-11 at 02:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417

NinjaGuy

November 3rd
    Date Night

“I always save room for dessert,” Izzy replies with a smirk. “You know how people joke about have an extra stomach just for dessert? I’m pretty sure I actually have one,” she jokes.
    "Wait..." Louis pauses, pretending to process the new information. "You're a meta too?" He whispers behind a raised hand. "I'll make sure to double up on everything tonight then."

“I mean, I count myself as lucky with capital L,” she says, looking at Louis seriously. “I have no idea what would’ve happened to me if you guys hadn’t come to rescue me.”
    "Fortunately for us, we never have to worry about it. Imagine missing out on this." The protege gives Izzy a playful wink and digs his fork into another square of ravioli. "I definitely would've found you though." He says with confidence before savoring the bite as the Latina continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    She thinks for a moment on his question. “I always thought that having powers would be cool. I think that the teams do good work. I never knew anyone that had personally come into contact with any heroes, but there’s tons of articles from the Bellevue Street Journal that would talk about about all of the stuff that you guys do.”

Her expression darkens slightly. “I never read the Inquisitor garbage. It feels like they try to twist the truth on everything, especially when it comes to West Side. And I felt like that before I met you.”
    The West Sider can only shrug and grin at the mention of the Inquisitor. "Yeaaaaaah they've really had it out for us ever since the incident with Protonik at the railyard. Feels like half of the city does to be honest but it's not like I don't get it either. You blow up one landmark trying to save the day and suddenly everyone's on your back." He shakes head in feigned disbelief.

"So if you could have any power, aside from your second stomach that is, what would you pick?" Louis asks, making no attempt to hide his curiosity as he takes another sip from his cup.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2023-06-11 at 06:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 2nd
    Keith
    “Well,” Aeryn says, moving hand to the back of his neck, “Kenzie tries to start fights with Drake. She doesn’t think he should be the Team Lead. She thinks he’s made too many mistakes and she thinks that she would be a better Team Lead, especially after Yuki almost…” he trails off, closing his eyes for a moment.

He glances back up at Keith. “She didn’t agree with him letting Ryker on the team either. I don’t think she’ll ever get over either of those decisions. But I know that what happened to Yuki was never something he meant to happen. He couldn’t have know what they were going to find when he sent them scouting.”

“And Ryker… he’s not a bad guy. Kenzie doesn’t believe it though.”

The alien floats for a moment, thinking about what Keith said. “I think you’re right. Louis wouldn’t try to attack you or anything. I understand what he’s saying though. I guess no one told him about what John was doing, so he feels…” he thinks for a moment on the phrase, “Out of the hoop?”

“This Rin lady,” he says quietly. “She’s the one that caused that guys head to… crush itself, right? How do you think she did that?”

“I’m not gonna lie, she seems really scary,” Aeryn admits.

November 8th
    Providence
    Since he’s so in tune with her, John feels a bit of warmth from Emi as her feelings of acceptance spill out before she can completely control it as they start into breakfast.

She lets the Kelleys talk through all of their plans with a small smile on her face.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2023-06-11 at 09:10 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419

AssassinGuy

November 2nd
    Keith
    “Well,” Aeryn says, moving hand to the back of his neck, “Kenzie tries to start fights with Drake. She doesn’t think he should be the Team Lead. She thinks he’s made too many mistakes and she thinks that she would be a better Team Lead, especially after Yuki almost…” he trails off, closing his eyes for a moment.

He glances back up at Keith. “She didn’t agree with him letting Ryker on the team either. I don’t think she’ll ever get over either of those decisions. But I know that what happened to Yuki was never something he meant to happen. He couldn’t have know what they were going to find when he sent them scouting.”

“And Ryker… he’s not a bad guy. Kenzie doesn’t believe it though.”

The alien floats for a moment, thinking about what Keith said. “I think you’re right. Louis wouldn’t try to attack you or anything. I understand what he’s saying though. I guess no one told him about what John was doing, so he feels…” he thinks for a moment on the phrase, “Out of the hoop?”

“This Rin lady,” he says quietly. “She’s the one that caused that guys head to… crush itself, right? How do you think she did that?”

“I’m not gonna lie, she seems really scary,” Aeryn admits.
    Keith tilts his head as Aeryn starts talking about Kenzie thinking she should be the team lead, and looks at the ground when he brings back up how Yuki had almost died on Drake's watch. He shuddered for a moment and nodded.

With the mention of Ryker being added to the team, Keith shakes his head. He didn’t agree with Kenzie’s assessment at all, and that made him slightly more angry. Even the idea that no one should make mistakes. Even veteran heroes make mistakes and it costs lives.

“It’s not like Drake can see the future, and scouting is hard enough when you think you know what to expect as well.” Keith grimaced. “And even veteran heroes get caught like that. It’s not a mistake sendin’ in the ones best at stealth or recon. Can’t know everything. I should know that one.” He huffed a laugh.

“As for Ryker, no. He ain’t a bad guy and given the right circumstances, I would have been on the other side just like he was. There was every chance I could have joined Ozul had he not…..” Keith stopped and took a steadying breath. “Some get stuck in their thoughts of how others were. People can change.”

He looks up at Aeryn when he mentioned Louis not attacking him and thought for a moment as his friend continued his thoughts. It made sense. Louis is the team lead on paper for West Side. Of course he would feel snubbed in not knowing John’s plan. Keith barely even knew about it either, and it was just being in the right place at the right time.

“Yeah…. Think next trainin’ session may be a bit rough. Or I get asked to leave but I have a feelin’ you’re right.” Keith chuckles a bit. “Close enough. Since he is the team lead on paper, makes more sense he would be upset not knowing that. He’ll probably forgive John far sooner though.” He cracks a forced smile.

“Yeah, Rin is the one that did that. No one in our family that we know of has powers like that. It’s always been shadowmancy and void magic.” Keith shook his head and rubbed the back of his neck. “Honestly, if she’s the one working with demons, I think it could be a deal she made. If I knew who her other family was, or even had a background on that, I could maybe narrow it down or pass it to uncle.”

Keith looks up at Aeryn, fear in his eyes. “She terrifies me. I don’t know if it’s because she’s an entirely unknown variable in this war or if it’s because she may actually be related to me. IT’s…. horrifying.”

30. - Top - End - #420

OldWizardGuy

November 8th
    Providence
    Since he’s so in tune with her, John feels a bit of warmth from Emi as her feelings of acceptance spill out before she can completely control it as they start into breakfast.

She lets the Kelleys talk through all of their plans with a small smile on her face.
    Satisfied with their basic plans and more than satisfied with Joe’s pancakes, Mary dabbed the coroners of her mouth with a napkin as Kate came to the end of her retelling of last night’s events. While the plans would need revision and refinement, of course, but she had Joe to help with that. He was really quite good at making sure steps weren’t skipped.

“And,” Kate said trying to contain her laughter, “when he looked up, he took on the appearance of a fish out of water—his eyes wide and unblinking and his mouth working!”

She leaned back from the table, imitating her older brother’s stunned expression for a moment before breaking into laughter.

“Do I really look that absurd?” John asked Emi after the initial laughter died down, his smile attempting to mask his insecurities and he blushed furiously.

“It was pretty close,” Stephen observed.

“I hope not,” Joe observed, remembering a particular date when Mary descended the stairs at her parent’s house in a form fitting, black sheath dress. “Because I’m pretty sure I have worn that expression more than once.”

“You have,” Mary replied with a pleased smile.

“It might have been worse,” Kate observed, leaning over and planting a kiss on her brother’s cheek. “What do you think, Emi?”

“Well, she said, setting down the napkin after Emi replied and trying to keep her emotions marginally in check. Letting her children go out into the world never got easier. “It’s time we got Stephen to school and for me to finally satisfy the curiosity of my administrative assistant.

“It’s been a delight, Emi,” she said. “You’re every bit as wonderful as John told us you were.”

“Maybe a little more,” Joe observed with a smile.

Mary smiled at her husband before turning to John. “Treat her well, Jonathan Michael Kelley.”

While her tone hinted at the playfulness she used when she told her eldest son not to use magic when making the salad, she was also in earnest.

“Of course, Mom,” he replied as he rose in anticipation for her departure.

“I enjoyed playing for you, Emi,” Stephen added as he got up and shouldered his backpack. “I have some classical pieces in my repertoire, if you ever want to bring your violin along.”

“Stay safe, son,” Mary said as she hugged her son and kissed him on the cheek, “and try not to embarrass him too much,” she added giving Kate a kiss on the cheek before approaching Emi.

“You stay safe, too, Emi,” she said, giving her a hug and kiss on the cheek similar to the one she gave John.

“I’ll see you later tonight, Joe,” she said as she gave him a kiss on the way out.”

Mary didn’t look back. She didn’t like her children seeing her tear up—whether they were biological. like John, or claimed, like Emi.