New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 91, Page 82

Also to support the likelihood of that being Wanda, the cast page gives Wanda's clan as "The (lost) Croatan tribe" and says Jillian "(Claims no tribe)." That would fit with the kingdom having been destroyed, with Wanda and Jillian the only two survivors (or at least, the only ones of note we've encountered).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

A lot of things make perfect sense now.

Everyone thinks Stanley is an idiot and if it wasn't for Jillian the alliance would take GK, think the Tool has lost and dissolve. Meanwhile in the hidden city (GK being NOT the last one) Stanley recruits more dragons and trains his best Knights as Warlords until he can take out his opponents one by one surprisingly.

I like how the main characters finally become connected in a very clever way (young Wanda and Jillian for example) it is still to find out how they started their "relationship" and what the "spell" really was, but I doubt that Jillian spills it all to Ansom.

Spoiler
    Show
    what if the alliance turns to the bubble kingdom and GK is being spared? a new faction with Parson forms there? I always thought that all Parson needs to "win" is some more time and a tutorial like experience starting with smaller skirmishes to get the feeling of the game

EDIT: ah well, we also get some info that a city needs mines and farms (strategically important resource productions) therefore I believe that a siege can starve a city to death actually. Maybe not GK since they have only few living and mostly uncroaked troops but generally it should work. Take over the
    surrounding mines and farms, encircle the city and wait until the walls crumble and half of the defenders starves to death.
    Last edited by Krelon; 2008-01-11 at 05:01 AM.
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yes, but the entire Kingdom of Faq appears to be surrounded by impassable mountains, so getting your entire army in there to take over the farms and surround the city would be extremely difficult. We don't actually know yet how Stanley got in, after all--could have been some sort of betrayal from inside that allowed him in.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Hypothesis.

It always struck me that Stanley had 5 "mancers" which seems to be a lot in that world (we don't know of too many mancers in Ansom's army - except the healing elves). Maybe he took them from the neighboring tribes?

Lets assume Wanda was a "rebel" mancer - attracted by death and mind control and torture more than philosophy - she was secretly opposing king Banhammer. Just like his daughter and heir - Jillian. Some sort of complicity develloped between them. The foolamancer also could have been slightly unhappy in a perfectly ordered land (was he used to "hide" the kingdom of FAQ from enemies ?) . Say Wanda (with or without the foolamancer) wants to change her life. She cannot leave since her king can disband her with one word. The only option is to replace the king with someone she can control.

Did she tried to do this with Jillian? Like push her to to kill her father or replace him ? Maybe Jillian got banned in the process ?

Did she decide to sell the kingdom to Stanley (always looking for more mancers) ? What was the role of Jillian or the foolamancer in this? Sizemore was originally in Stanley's army - did they invade through air (dragons) and tunnels ?

Finally - the snowy environment from Stanleys escape, the fact that he only takes flyers and flyer mounted troops and maybe the foolamancer to complete the "shielding" of the Kingdom of FAQ....They are retreating there to start planning and rebuilding. - it clearly seems that Stanley ignored who Jillian is - so, except Wanda, noone would know where FAQ is and how to get there. Then Jillian say "I know exactly where he is going"...

Oh, and the guy near the younger wanda looks a lot like a younger version of Stanley's foolamancer
    Last edited by Earendill; 2008-01-11 at 07:46 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yes, but the entire Kingdom of Faq appears to be surrounded by impassable mountains, so getting your entire army in there to take over the farms and surround the city would be extremely difficult. We don't actually know yet how Stanley got in, after all--could have been some sort of betrayal from inside that allowed him in.
    Or, you know, dwagons.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Dwagons are powerful, yes, but would they be sufficient to take the place?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Dragons would be enough if the mercenaries were out earning money. Would explain both how Jillian survived the takeover and why Stanley wouldn't necessarily know who she is.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Is that Wanda on panel 3? Doesn't make sense (they would not need a croakamancer) but it looks like her.
    Good eye, man! I wouldn't have seen that if I hadn't read this thread. Between the garb, the hairpiece (similar but the same as her current one) and the silver lipstick I have to say it could be her. Of course, it could also be the "standard" croakamancer uniform, but Rob and Jamie are usually pretty careful about their details so I can't imagine it's just a co-ink-ee-dink.
    Last edited by Templar; 2008-01-11 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Holy Typos, Batman!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rumex View Post
    Dragons would be enough if the mercenaries were out earning money. Would explain both how Jillian survived the takeover and why Stanley wouldn't necessarily know who she is.
    Also, it's clear that Faq's soldiers and warlords (other than the ones sent on revenue-generating mercenary missions) were neglected by King Banhammer -- they would have been relatively sparse, low-level (from lack of opportunities to level up) and are described as "more like clerks" than like soldiers (admittedly, Jillian isn't a totally objective observer, but the picture fits together consistently).

Banhammer was relying totally on remaining hidden. Once found, he was booped.

10. - Top - End - #40

In the first strips it is said that Stanley only controled the capital now. So my guess is that Jillian's original city was razed to the ground. But the mountains are still there. The perfect hiding place for Stanley to rebuild his forces. Maybe he as the power to rebuild a city.

Anyone noticed tht Jillian said she "popped" out of nowhere. What would be more expensive, making an heir "pop", or apointing an existing unit to be heir, like hapened with Stanley? I guess making the heir pop out of nowhere is cheaper, but you can't decide how it will be, probably random generation. Risky.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Isn't that our favorite Dirtomancer in panel 4 of today's comic?

--Saracenus
    Real Daleks do not use stairways, they level the building instead

12. - Top - End - #42
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Hmmmm... if Faq was the home kingdom of the Croatan tribe (including Wanda), that indicates yet another possible level of connection between Wanda and Jillian.

I think this one might be worth spoilering on the chance that I'm guessing right this time:

Spoiler
    Show
    According to Jillian, Banhammer had an heir popped because his Predictamancer warned that the kingdom would fall someday. The question of what the two have to do with each other was answered during Sizemore's explanation of Stanley's rise to power:

"When the city fell. Shouldn't you have disbanded?"
    "Normally, yes. But the king... promoted Stanley to Heir Designate."

Because the Heir Designate was out in the field when the city fell, it wasn't over even though the Germans had bombed Pearl Harbor gobwins had taken the city and croaked the king. Presumably the same would be true if Faq fell and Banhammer was croaked while Jillian (his heir, though by original creation rather than designation) survived.

If Wanda was from the kingdom of Faq, that would mean that her survival was dependent on Jillian. This might still be the case -- note that Wanda's tribe designation on the cast page is still Croatan, and we don't know if she's become one of Stanley's units in the sense that her continued existence depends on Gobwin Knob rather than Faq.

If so, her attempt to prevent Jillian from being croaked and her breakdown when that attempt failed is even easier to explain. (It also implies that she was bluffing when she said she would have croaked Jillian if she'd held anything back in the interrogation.)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone else think that:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Banhammer found the Arkenhammer and Stanley got it (stealing or otherwise) from him.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I think it's almost certain that Banhammer is dead--can't see Stanley keeping him on, even in a vassal capacity; and besides, Jillian wouldn't be half so annoyed if her father was still alive. She's annoyed because her father is dead, so his kingdom is rightfully hers (even though she doesn't want it), but Stanley has control. Or possibly HAD control--if that IS Wanda in panel 3 she would surely know about the kingdom of FAQ and thus wouldn't have said that they only have the capital left!
    That's why I think maybe Stanley left Banhammer in control, albeit, surrounded by troops that could easily croak him and take over.
    Jillian may not even be aware that he's still alive. Or it's possible that Stanley forced Banhammer to declare Stanley as heir (making him heir to two thrones), which would also rob Jillian of her inheritance.

Quote Originally Posted by Noemz View Post
    That would make sense... Jillian says that Faq had a good Foolamancer, and Ansom knows that Stanley has a Foolamancer. Connection!
    Except that he doesn't know about Faq, so he couldn't have learned about the foolamancer from that. Of course, Jillian might have reported the existence of the foolamancer after returning from one of her scouting trips, even though she hadn't actually seen him in action, she just knew from -ahem- the Faq.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumex View Post
    And I'd be quite sure that Wanda wouldn't tell him who she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracenus View Post
    Isn't that our favorite Dirtomancer in panel 4 of today's comic?
    No, he states he was popped under Saline, so it is just a superficial resemblance.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Hmmmm... if Faq was the home kingdom of the Croatan tribe (including Wanda), that indicates yet another possible level of connection between Wanda and Jillian.

I think this one might be worth spoilering on the chance that I'm guessing right this time:

Spoiler
    Show
    According to Jillian, Banhammer had an heir popped because his Predictamancer warned that the kingdom would fall someday. The question of what the two have to do with each other was answered during Sizemore's explanation of Stanley's rise to power:

"When the city fell. Shouldn't you have disbanded?"
    "Normally, yes. But the king... promoted Stanley to Heir Designate."

Because the Heir Designate was out in the field when the city fell, it wasn't over even though the Germans had bombed Pearl Harbor gobwins had taken the city and croaked the king. Presumably the same would be true if Faq fell and Banhammer was croaked while Jillian (his heir, though by original creation rather than designation) survived.

If Wanda was from the kingdom of Faq, that would mean that her survival was dependent on Jillian. This might still be the case -- note that Wanda's tribe designation on the cast page is still Croatan, and we don't know if she's become one of Stanley's units in the sense that her continued existence depends on Gobwin Knob rather than Faq.

If so, her attempt to prevent Jillian from being croaked and her breakdown when that attempt failed is even easier to explain. (It also implies that she was bluffing when she said she would have croaked Jillian if she'd held anything back in the interrogation.)
    I like it, but I'm doubtful.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given Jillian's capacity for rage and impulsiveness, I think she would have just disbanded Wanda. I think that one way or another, Wanda is a GK unit now, albeit one that (had?) divided loyalties.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2008-01-11 at 09:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Germans had bombed Pearl Harbor
    Oh!

*goes to correct history book*

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Anyone else think that:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Banhammer found the Arkenhammer and Stanley got it (stealing or otherwise) from him.
    I thought about this, because of his name; but it seems more likely to me that Stanley went there on dragonback...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Oh!

*goes to correct history book*
    Ah, memories of Animal House...

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
    Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
    Otter: Germans?
    Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

17. - Top - End - #47

PaladinGuy

The Jillian-Wanda connection would be much easier to explain if Wanda was in the employ of King Banhammer prior to Stanley's conquest of Faq. However, the panel specifically talks about Banhammer's "neglected warlords", and there seems to be a mechanical distinction between warlords and casters. If Wanda already had Warlord stats, why isn't she listed as such in Stanley's TO&E?

However, Wanda is obviously under Stanley's control now, since he implied that he could disband her, her rations pop on Stanley's turn, etc.

Spoiler
    Show
    The implication that most interests me is that, if Wanda was in Banhammer's service, she switched sides to Stanley at some point. I too wonder if she helped betray Faq.
    Last edited by Fighteer; 2008-01-11 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Umm... yeah. Banhammer is the person and Faq is the kingdom. I knew that.
    Proud, small, slightly stinky member of the fan club.

Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley / Ring, ring, ring goes the bell.
    Git away from me, ye daft fool!

Barky! You came back!

18. - Top - End - #48

SwashbucklerGuy

Huh. You know, I think that is Wanda in panel 3. The skull in her hair and the reddish skin tone are hard to mistake.
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Remember how sizemore said that even if they collapsed GK ansom would just rebuild on top of the ruins. That implies that even if a city is destroyed it can be rebuilt, maybe stanley is hoping to rebuild his capital on the ruins of Faq. Since GK has yet to actually fall, he may be able to withdraw from his treasury there to rebuild (As is not uncommon in games where you can gather some wood on one corner of the map, then use it on the other despite nothing carrying said wood between. the wood exists in "resource-space", which I would not be surpirsed exists in erfworld with shmuckers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

biggrin Re: Erfworld 91, Page 82

Hmmm...I think this way:

A F.A.Q. should have a little of all kinds of knowledge, so the kingdom had almost all caster types, but not good enought to fight...just to KNOW 'bout them.

This is why the king didn't cared, they wasn't meant to be fighters, they were just our common knowledge database.

The mercenaries was their way of earning ca$h to keep the kingdom going(i don't agree with the farming idea...food just 'pop' at dawn)

Maybe stanley went in, croaked all but the better units(quite few) and left.

The city may still be there, but Jillian mey not have enought money to raise it from the ground(Stanley coudn't take it 'cos the heir is still alive, as the gobwins coudn't take GK)

Well...I may be wrong...

or not!

who knows!

Nice comic we have here!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zeropsm View Post
    (Stanley coudn't take it 'cos the heir is still alive, as the gobwins coudn't take GK)
    Escept the Gobwins DID take GK, and then Stanley took it back. Or at least, that's the way Sizemore explains it.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Is that Wanda on panel 3? Doesn't make sense (they would not need a croakamancer) but it looks like her.
    The peson next to her looks vaguely like a less crazy foolamancer.
    Kungaloosh!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krelon View Post
    EDIT: ah well, we also get some info that a city needs mines and farms (strategically important resource productions) therefore I believe that a siege can starve a city to death actually. Maybe not GK since they have only few living and mostly uncroaked troops but generally it should work. Take over the
    surrounding mines and farms, encircle the city and wait until the walls crumble and half of the defenders starves to death.
    The farms/mines thing sounds a lot like Age of Wonders. If it uses the same mechanic, then it just generates gold, not quite as much as a mine though.

24. - Top - End - #54

Right, farms and mines generate shmuckers for the treasure. Things pop into existence and the shmuckers disappear.

I have to agree with those who say that Stanley probably recruited Wanda and the Foolamancer from Faq. Sizemore is a 'Plaid', like Stanely.

Very nice strip.
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

25. - Top - End - #55

Do you see whom I see?

'Cuz Arameus sees Wanda Firebaugh in Panel 3.

The long black hair, the shape of the face, the skull barrette, and, if you look closely, white lipstick. It can't be anyone but her, or maybe an identical twin or the person of which 'Wanda' is a simulacrum. It really doesn't matter as long as it's Wanda related, but to say it's just a coincidence is nonsense and woefully genre un-savvy.
    Glorious Chaiman Kaga avatar by the impeccable Kalirush!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I doubt very much that is Wanda. Wanda didn't know about any hidden cities, just GK. (She said way back in the beginning that there was only one city left.) Also this story wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to answer Ansom's questions (only one story remember) unless this was were Stanley was fleeing. Stanley can't flee here unless they still exist so, these three cities have not fallen, and because Wanda does not know of their existence, she is not from these cities,

P.S. Are all those people in the circle casters? (Excepting Banhammer) I doubt they are the hated warlords. Also it seems from this that there are some sort of worker people, to run mines and fields and what not. (Who may or may not be units.)
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, we don't know Wanda's backstory yet, so we can't rule her out. We also don't know if units can "cross-class' or evolve (Think Fire Emblem style: unit gains enough EXP as one class, and becomes a more powerful class), nor do we know the full extent or progressions of magic in this world.

I think it would settle a few open plot points if it were indeed her, but then again I must wonder: How would Jillian come to know (and/or possibly begin a love affair with) Wanda, when she admits to being away from the kingdom so much?

EDIT: Meh. On second thought, after re-reading the comic yet again, there is nothing there to suggest that Jillian spent extended periods of time abroad, more likely that she only went out on missions.

Edit edit:

I doubt very much that is Wanda. Wanda didn't know about any hidden cities, just GK. (She said way back in the beginning that there was only one city left.) Also this story wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to answer Ansom's questions (only one story remember) unless this was were Stanley was fleeing. Stanley can't flee here unless they still exist so, these three cities have not fallen, and because Wanda does not know of their existence, she is not from these cities
    Except that we don't know where Stanley has fled to. Since GW has not yet fallen, we have no way of knowing or testing the theory of whether or not he has another stronghold someplace. We also aren't entirely sure how long ago the coup of GW was, or how long the fall of FAQ was, or even HOW it fell. We have no proof that Stanley conquered it, only that he denied Jillian of it. Is it possible that Stanley razed the city somehow? If he DID capture it, it is also entirely possible that some other cause took it out of play, either by destroying the city or giving it to another faction.

So, at this point, all we can do is speculate. And I think it's going to make for some really juicy discussion.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 2008-01-11 at 05:09 PM.
    DOOM!!!!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Since GW has not yet fallen...
    Been playing too much Guild Wars? XDDD I'm sure you meant GK for Gobwin Knob.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zeropsm View Post

The mercenaries was their way of earning ca$h to keep the kingdom going(i don't agree with the farming idea...food just 'pop' at dawn)
    Well, the food that pops from the farms doesn't cost the treasury, while the other one does.

Jillian seems to think that their chance of getting Stanley was during this turn, before he reaches the place. This points to him having some forces there, capable of holding Jillian's Gwiffons.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, the food that pops from the farms doesn't cost the treasury, while the other one does.
    Or, maybe, farms produce Schmuckers, just not as many as mines. Either one is understandable; and either one is fodder for Harvest Moon puns.