New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up a Campaign Setting (3E/4E)

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    A lot of you seem to have a very distinct idea of what the Gods vote entails.

Let me put it to you this way:

Birthright had Gods as its primary opposition.

So did Greek Mythology.

There is a fair span of differences.
    like I said, I want birth-rightesqu gods and gods born.

just because the Tyrannical Sultan actually having a divine right to rule makes rebellions a lot more interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, then I'll go with the use of magic. Also, don't forget the cute lass in the next town over... The one they're pretty sure doesn't know they're married.
    Yah, that is the single most reoccurring problem I recall people having in the arabian nights. Those "nice" girls they meet that they can't help but like cuz, they no they neither could nor would do anything to harm them...

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Civil War seems like it would make for some interesting possibilities.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Bugbear in the Playground

Apparently, Evil Empire is a bit more obvious in-setting than I'd hoped, so I'd like to change my vote to Use of Magic instead, if possible.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

5. - Top - End - #485

Cults
    filler
    Last edited by Saint Nil; 2008-11-16 at 08:27 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

6. - Top - End - #486
    Firbolg in the Playground

By the way, is this going to be a traditional "winner takes all" vote, or is it going to be more along the lines of the "Thematic Priorities" vote, where the relative amount of influence/fear associated with each force is based on the relative number of votes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Winner takes all. The single option with the most votes will be the only worldwide issue.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe most of the myths from which the genre takes its foundations are primarily monotheistic. God (or Allah) also isn't generally involved from what I know. Gods as antagonists doesn't exactly fit, from what I can see, but it could be interesting. I don't think I like the idea of the general populace seeing the gods as the main threat to them - which is, if I remember, what this vote is about. But then, that's part of why I voted for Use of Magic, and according to the current tally we're close to catching up.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Decisions, decisions. Oh well. Cast: Vote, Gods.

The desert is a pain to live in for everyone, there are some cultural and/or ethnic feuds occuring throughout the setting, monsters are always on the prowl somewhere out there, resources are scarce, magic which could solve everyone's problems is fairly rare, and to top it all off there are some forces up above who really hate the mortal races. Hilarity Conflict ensues.

The gods are only the primary antagonists, we still get our occassional scorned woman turning a man's life to a living hell, which is a scenario (or side-quest if you prefer) I'd love to see in a campaign.

EDIT: Good example.

EDIT AGAIN!: Aww...
    Last edited by S. J. Floyd; 2008-11-15 at 11:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Again, I'm only trying to prove the viability and legitimacy of the options presented. I do not intend to bias the vote in any way.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Again, I'm only trying to prove the viability and legitimacy of the options presented. I do not intend to bias the vote in any way.
    well, you''ll have to write up one for each of them, because that write-ups freaken awesome
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

...I'm forced to agree. Though that did serve to answer my question, I can see that bringing in a whole lot more votes for that particular option.

It's possible that post should have been a PM instead.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2008-11-15 at 10:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Consider it gone.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

I'm going with Environment. I think it fits the setting (It looks like some of you think it fits TOO well which is possible but that's what I'm going with.)

15. - Top - End - #495

I'm voting for The Winner.

Put me down for some good old Cult of Personality on Expert.

Guitar Solo!!!
    Last edited by thegurullamen; 2008-11-15 at 11:34 PM.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

16. - Top - End - #496
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think I like civil wars more than I like religious cults, as an antagonist and source of conflict.

Avatar adopted, courtesy of Mr_Saturn

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    well, you''ll have to write up one for each of them, because that write-ups freaken awesome
    What write up? There was an awesome write up? Damn. What did it say?
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Juhn was commenting on how he didn't think Gods as antagonists would fit suhc a setting. I dropped an example writeup which I later removed since I was afraid it would bias people towards that option.

I can send you a copy, if you'd like.

19. - Top - End - #499

Civil War, its cool, done before, but can be done again.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Juhn was commenting on how he didn't think Gods as antagonists would fit suhc a setting. I dropped an example writeup which I later removed since I was afraid it would bias people towards that option.

I think that I would enjoy reading it. I'm already pro-gods anyway, and I tend to love anything you type.

Zack
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Sent via PM, Lyndworm.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to see it. Though I don't think god being the main enemy would fit the setting...

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Sent.

I guess this round's taught me that I'll have to do a preliminary writeup from now on.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

Sent.

I guess this round's taught me that I'll have to do a preliminary writeup from now on.
    If you wouldn't mind. Each idea sounds excellent when you write it up in advance, and the extra detail would probably help out a lot of voters.

Still, I think that we'll all understand if you skip over the write-ups. You're plenty busy enough without having to spell everything out for us.

Zack
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Well, this is... what, the third, fourth time that I've had to? You'd think I'd learn faster

As far as being busy, Shadow's in France, Zeta's got a real life and I have exams in two weeks. Pulling the next VUAV will afford me a bit of extra time, but I'd imagine this project isn't going to be rolled out as fast as could be hoped.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

I would. Or if you'd prefer not to PM every guy who happens to feel curious, you can post it after this round's done.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

*shrug* No trouble at all. Sent.

28. - Top - End - #508

Griffon

Afroakuma posted something here that I never got to see. NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously, I think that Cnsvnc's suggestion makes a lot of sense as I'm sure that there are plenty of people (myself included) who would like to see what you had to say.

29. - Top - End - #509

Quote Originally Posted by Sereg View Post
    Afroakuma posted something here that I never got to see. NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously, I think that Cnsvnc's suggestion makes a lot of sense as I'm sure that there are plenty of people (myself included) who would like to see what you had to say.
    Agreed.

Even if he is a dirty Good Cat lover.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to have to go with Use of Magic.