New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Default Erfworld 70, page 64

Discuss!!!

Personally, I think Jillian will try to ditch the hunt-and end up being labelled as a traitor.
    Last edited by Ramos; 2007-08-01 at 04:58 PM.
    IM IN UR WIZARD SCHOOL STABBIN UR HORCRUXES

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Erfworld 70, page 64

Ninja'd by like 20 seconds, I knew I shouldn't have read it twice. :P

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder if Wanda's petty enough to make Sizemore's life more difficult for questioning her ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Lot's of interesting information in this one. Must reread it all.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Predictions:

She follows the "suggestion" but the Archons do not; I doubt she is powerful enough or has enough Warlord bonuses to command them to do otherwise. They will carry out the mission, in spite of the (seemingly pointless) infighting and hesitations.

Whether she will turn on the Archons, leading to Archons vs. Dragons Vs. Barbarians or break the "suggestion" remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Smushel's Dart; 2007-08-01 at 05:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Interesting. Lots of confirmations of hypotheses... But still a damn cliffhanger! I hope the next strip will finally have the resolution of that turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Do we actually know what the suggestion was, or does Sizemore actually know how they were phrased? I don't imagine Wanda revealing what she's put into the spell. What did Wanda put in the spell that makes her SO confident?
    One Angry Dwarf.

Currently running:
    Krysanadar, my homebrew campaign with info-site here.

Currently playing:
    Erasmus in Crisis of Iron

8. - Top - End - #8
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    I wonder if Wanda's petty enough to make Sizemore's life more difficult for questioning her ability.
    Perhaps -- if Sizemore turns out to be wrong.

If Sizemore turns out to be right....

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

New comic? So soon? It's like we all got a early Xmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Interesting. Lots of confirmations of hypotheses... But still a damn cliffhanger! I hope the next strip will finally have the resolution of that turn.
    No see this is a good cliffhanger. Tension building. Everything is coming to a point...to Jillian...interesting.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

ah, the uncertainty of storytelling... it sounds like we are gonna get to see that one point they discuss up close and personal very soon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I find this comic more and more interesting. I feel like Parson right now. Turn based warfare sucks. And betting on someone from the other side to help you win the war... also sucks.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

At least we now know the kind of things Parson and company have been discussing while watching Jillian deploy her forces. Additionally, we've had the mechanics of veiling outlined in a general sense (though its actual in-game effects and effectiveness are still in some question). We've also seen Parson characterise the notion of sitting back and waiting in turn-based warfare in similar fashion to some of the naysayers on the forum, which is somewhat amusing in itself. What we may also be seeing here is a bit of a power play within GK itself; if Jillian misses the hex completely, no real effect beyond ruffled feathers - if she attacks, that's a big hit to Wanda's cred and a boost to Parson and Sizemore, whereas if she sees the stack and doesn't engage, Parson's going to have to make an apology and I suspect Sizemore's going to get deeply involved in his milieu. This comic didn't show us a lot we didn't already know or suspect, but there was some nice confirmation on the veiling thing (most of us figured it'd be local-range, own turn only, or both) and clarification of the fact that Wanda's 'control' is not predicated entirely on mundane persuasion but on magic, which appears to be bolstered by the more mundane methods. In a lot of ways, it appears to resemble D&D usages for the Charm line of enchantments.

I have to admit though, I tend to go with Wanda's assessment on this one. She was iffy as to the extent of her control before, but this time she's asserting clearly that this spell isn't going to get broken. That kind of assurance, that assertiveness, is something she rarely seems to display.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Find the Dwagons not fight them and justify it? For her? Try this.

"It doesn't count unless they are fresh. Half-dead Dwagons are not a challenge."

Seriously she could have a "real warrior" moment on us.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hrmm, drama. I wonder how this is going to work out.

Spoiler
    Show
    I bet it's a love spell

15. - Top - End - #15

'Underpinnings?' If you ask me, and you didn't, what the 'underpinnings' are of Wanda's hold on Jillian, it's their relationship. If Jillian does something that she knows, even if only subconsciously, that Wanda will resent (and possibly end their physical relationship for), that would really, really affect her behavior under the suggestion spell, even if she couldn't find a good rationalization for her behavior.

Which, of course, would also explain why Wanda won't come out and say just why she's so certain of her spell.

Edit: Curse you Magicwalker and curse the lumbering pace of my articulation!
    Last edited by Arameus; 2007-08-01 at 05:21 PM.
    Glorious Chaiman Kaga avatar by the impeccable Kalirush!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by fangthane View Post
    I have to admit though, I tend to go with Wanda's assessment on this one. She was iffy as to the extent of her control before, but this time she's asserting clearly that this spell isn't going to get broken. That kind of assurance, that assertiveness, is something she rarely seems to display.
    "You know nothing of the underpinnings of this spell!"

Simply a claim to superior mancer-fu, or a let-slip-in-anger reference to aspects of the "subtle control" that Wanda has not seen fit to disclose to anyone else?
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-08-01 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Clarification

17. - Top - End - #17

Some regular forumers may know I've been complaining about the pacing of the strip the past several updates. Well, here's a shocker:

This? This is a good strip. It's the strip I wanted to see last update. I'm back to anticipating the next strip, rather than potentially being bored.

Kudos, gentlemen.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

This comic gets better and better
    ---------------------------------------------------
    And it harm none, Do as you will

Proud Second Baker to the Fan Club

Kewl Avatar by someone who's name I forgot

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

My Theory, she finds the dwagons, but wanda pumps the suggjestion for everything it has to get her to go get reinforcements rather then attempt to engage. This is very un-jillian-like behavior, but wanda may be able to pull it off as it could be justified more easily than ignoring the dwagons
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Even if she does attack, as long as she can be persuaded not to croak the warlords, Parson's plan can continue with the B dwagons.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

OH BOOP

So.

A, J turns on a zig-zag thereby missing the Dwags. but with next hex sighting thats less likely.

B, Steams on in and engages which means carnage.

C, Enters the hex and forbears, which means that she is either to go rogue OR be frozen (poss brain cleaning upon return to the HQ) or turns on the Archons. Either way an inside operative is lost.

My tuppence worth.
    Last edited by Strengfellow; 2007-08-01 at 05:54 PM.
    Exploding nuns, just what everyone needs...
    Never were truer words spoken ThorFluff

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Now would be a good time for Wanda to suggest the dwagons are not in the lake hex, and Jillian should go scout some other hexes.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

If Jillian is one hex away from the wounded over the lake, does that mean she's also one hex away from the gap in the Dwagon fort? Could she still be aiming to rescue Ansom?

Edit: Never mind - after looking at the map again, it looks like the wounded dwagons are in fact between Jillian and Ansom if Jillian is 'over the lake'.
    Last edited by SmartAlec; 2007-08-01 at 05:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Kickass comic. Keeps us speculating on the 'original wording' of the suggestion, all the while explaining the whole concept to outsiders.

Also, OP == fail.
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not clear whether the Archons are under Jillian's command or not... but Parson et all would know that they're there, and aren't worrying about it, so presumably since she's a warlord unit and they're not they can't act independently while she's there.

(I still think now would be an excellent time to see if it's not to late to meet Charley's price, though, just in case.)

26. - Top - End - #26

PaladinGuy

It looks like it might be Wanda's turn as engineer of the Arrogance Express. I'd also venture a guess that Parson et al., have evaluated the odds of the wounded dwagons and uncroaked warlords against Jillian, the Archons, and the gwiffons and see "major disaster" as the likely outcome.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Wow, poor Ansom. Looks like he made the right call (Parson seems to think so, at least)... but everybody and their Necromancer knew that Jillian was his blind side.

Up to this point I figured Wanda's control on Jillian was pure psychology. Turns out it was a double-whammy, which probably explains her confidence in the face of Sizemore's uncertainty.

I pity Jillian right now, but I don't think I'm sympathetic. This is going to work on her because she by choice isn't a critical thinker- if she had her own personal Vinnie Doombats, she'd have decapitated him already (or had him conduct a one-hex radius search pattern over and over for a few turns).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Jillian's initial move with the archons is shown, however ongoing communication with the archons and Ansom are not known. If she is arguing with the archons or Ansom, she may do some very irrational things in a fit of pique.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

How exactly can Sizemore's life get any worse?

He's already face deep in crap.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    If Jillian is one hex away from the wounded over the lake, does that mean she's also one hex away from the gap in the Dwagon fort? Could she still be aiming to rescue Ansom?

Edit: Never mind - after looking at the map again, it looks like the wounded dwagons are in fact between Jillian and Ansom if Jillian is 'over the lake'.
    Hmmm... looking at the display in 60/4, there are two hexes Jillian could be in that are "over the lake" and "one hex away" from the wounded dwagons.

By my count, either of these hexes is four hexes away from Ansom's current location in the middle of the Dwagon Donut... by either a path that bypasses the wounded dwagons or by a path that leads her right into them.

Hmmmmm....