New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default General Exalted Discussion XVIII: Lunars Time To Shine!

Much has changed since the last thread, so this will be a whole new start, first of all, Reynard's sheets and the popular homebrew fixes for 2e will no longer be linked. Thats last edition 2e, its not a good edition and I don't think its worth continuing to link to outdated sheets and homebrew. you want to preserve go back and do it yourself. Exalted is in its third edition now and this new thread should reflect that. This threads title is in celebration of the Lunars finally getting their time to shine with good charms, good fluff after two editions of getting screwed over! Hooray!

List of Previous Threads:
    General Exalted Discussion
    General Exalted Discussion II
    General Exalted Discussion III
    General Exalted Discussion IV
    General Exalted Discussion V
    General Exalted Discussion VI
    General Exalted Discussion VII
    General Exalted Discussion VIII
    General Exalted Discussion Thread IX
    General Exalted Discussion Thread X
    General Exalted Discussion Thread XI
    General Exalted Discussion Thread XII
    General Exalted Discussion Thread XIII
    General Exalted Discussion Thread XIV
    General Exalted Discussion XV
    General Exalted Discussion Thread XVI
    General Exalted Discussion Thread XVII

Useful Links:
    The Onyx Path Exalted Forum
    New Exalt Info Compilation

Completed Homebrew of Interest to 3e:
    Sidereals: Where Fate Has Led, by wastevens
    Alchemicals 2.0 by Sandact6
    Book of the Emerald Circle By Limited Reagent
    Book of Bone and Ebony, By Ekorren
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-03-10 at 12:47 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XVIII: Lunars Time To Shine!

Now that the lunars kickstarter preview for artifacts is out. The Hundred Rings of Hadam-Ul is probably my favourite artifact in the game.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ekorren took down his necromancy works, since he started working for opp. Does anyone have a link to his Book of Bone and Ebony? It was such a great book.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    Ekorren took down his necromancy works, since he started working for opp. Does anyone have a link to his Book of Bone and Ebony? It was such a great book.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wDW...MX4WJB2Kt/view

Can I post my own homebrew demon?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

1. Desk of Aleph is 2e. not adding it.

2. Book of Emerald Circle however, I will add.

3. Book of Bone Ebony, also adding

you can post your homebrew demon, but if its 2e I won't add it. I cleaned out the opening post of 2e stuff that no one uses anymore, so I'm not adding in anything that can't be used in 3e. let the bad edition die, as the Sidereals say "everything has an ending".

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    you can post your homebrew demon, but if its 2e I won't add it. I cleaned out the opening post of 2e stuff that no one uses anymore, so I'm not adding in anything that can't be used in 3e. let the bad edition die, as the Sidereals say "everything has an ending".
    Even Sidereal pompousness? (Or is it pompousity?) I haven't kept up with the state of 3rd edition (in part because I have been a broke student for the last 2.5 years), but are Sidereals still annoying jerkbags who believe their own propaganda?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Even Sidereal pompousness? (Or is it pompousity?) I haven't kept up with the state of 3rd edition (in part because I have been a broke student for the last 2.5 years), but are Sidereals still annoying jerkbags who believe their own propaganda?
    Thats an interesting question to ask. To be absolutely sure, I'd have to look it up in the 1082 pages of the "Ask the Devs" thread on the onyx path forums, each page being 15 posts long, so about more than 15,000 posts to read through, that has been going on for two years. the answer is probably in there somewhere! but failing that because I'm lazy....

last I recall: In this edition, the Sidereals during the Usurpation, were unanimous in their decision to perpetrate the Usurpation. They all voted yes to kill the Solars at the time. The Gold faction is in fact a much more recent thing and only forming and being a thing when the Solars come back. Before then, the Sidereals had moved on from the Solars existing like everyone else.

But! Trusted DB Immaculates are told that the people they're hunting are actually other Exalted that they believe are corrupted by power, so I doubt the Sidereals believe their own propaganda when they are willing to tell DB's they trust about the real nature of the Solars and Lunars. its not much, but its a clue of how things are going to go this edition.

thing is, we're not going to get a more in depth look on Sidereals until their book comes out, which won't be for a while, we're still on the Lunar kickstarter. which means the Sidereal kickstarter isn't for two years, Exigents comes before that, which only came after core, DBs and Lunars because those three splats are apparently the most popular. so there is indications that Sidereals no longer believing their propaganda is the case and the developers would likely say "we don't do bad writing" -thats their literal response to these types of "is X still bad?" questions- and if you want answers faster you go ask them yourself. don't expect any response that isn't a one line sentence though.

so they probably don't believe their own propaganda, and said propaganda is like, mostly for mortal commonfolk. but jury is out on whether they are still annoying pompous jerkbags though. from what I've seen of DBs and Lunars, while the splats are written better, the Exalted aren't being made good or morally right or anything. most everyone is a jerk in Exalted, just different flavors.

and one would think Sidereal pompousness would end eventually, they literally serve the Maiden of Endings whose entire job is to end literally everything sooner or later. if Sidereal pompousness did not end, they would not be doing their job.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-03-04 at 03:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

As far as I remember, the main changes to Sidereals this edition is that a) the gods don't all hate them and b) the Bronze and Gold factions are less clear-cut camps with a strict dividing line and more like two ideas circulating in the Fivescore Fellowship. And based on the Dragon-Blooded and Lunar material so far, I'd generally expect more nuance and different points of view, conflicts and convictions. Also, I think being a ronin is supposed to be less of an afterthought/suicidal option, but I'm not sure how that worked before.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    As far as I remember, the main changes to Sidereals this edition is that a) the gods don't all hate them and b) the Bronze and Gold factions are less clear-cut camps with a strict dividing line and more like two ideas circulating in the Fivescore Fellowship. And based on the Dragon-Blooded and Lunar material so far, I'd generally expect more nuance and different points of view, conflicts and convictions. Also, I think being a ronin is supposed to be less of an afterthought/suicidal option, but I'm not sure how that worked before.
    yeah those to. this is all still in development. but yeah, given how Lunars and DB's have been written, I doubt we're getting anything stupid for Sidereals. I wouldn't be surprised if the "factions" were closer to a single Sidereal having an Opinion and couple other sidereals agreeing with them like the current Lunars basically are. The cult of Illuminated is still around though. but the Gold Faction and Bronze faction are probably more like philosophies they employ regarding the Exalts they deal with rather than this political divide.

like if 3e Lunars is any indication, the Fivescore Fellowship is probably informal and mentor-based in their dealings since there is so few of them and thus isn't large enough for their to be big divides and such, since they all work together in the same place, thats like having a political debate in your work place, it just doesn't work. like I can imagine them arguing sometimes but the focus would be "how to deal with the situation" rather than some wide high ideal thing for all creation or whatever. like the Sidereals are Heavens' IRS/FBI/CIA all rolled into one, the bottom line of keeping everything working is probably more important to them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. Desk of Aleph is 2e. not adding it.

2. Book of Emerald Circle however, I will add.

3. Book of Bone Ebony, also adding

Eh... ok?

Fullankar, the textbook wasps.
    Demon of the First Circle
    Progeny of the Obsessive Scholar

The Obsessive Scholar is a patron of the arts and of knowledge, with a grand wish to spread understanding and enlightenment throughout Malfeas, the Underworld, Creation, and Heaven itself. Each beggar a poet. Each street urchin a weapons grandmaster. Each street sweeper an artist. Sadly, in these fallen times, most do not have the time nor the inclination to study his books, no matter how well-written or how comprehensive. Why read about the vagaries of the stars, when one is wondering where to find his next meal? Why read about the Treatises of Ahnschlus, when one is trying to till the field for the next harvest? And so, the Obsessive Scholar, with some hesitation, made the decision for them. He made the Fullankar.

The Fullankar, in their dormant form, appear as any form of information recording, and acts as a comprehensive guide and work on a single subject, whether it is melee, war, or medicine. Whether in first-age crystal tablet, paperback book, or silken scroll. In this form, they are near-indistinguishable from other, more mundane books. Using the Fullankar in this form allows one to train themselves up as if they were studying under a tutor, and reduce training times to a third. The knowledge and words themselves slotting themselves into a reader's mind, the pictures, inscriptions, and diagrams, seemingly coming alive on the page itself, the reader's body subconsciously twitching as the book describes how one swings a sword or how to carry out a surgical procedure.

In the other form, the book itself unfurls. Transforming into a Fullankar's full form. It is the size of a dog. A stinger, composed out of punctuation. Wings, made from pictures. Feet, made from adjectives. A shell composed out of nouns. Flickering in and out of existence with compound eyes made from verbs, the Fullankar has a stinger composed out of prepositions, dripping with venom. It is the venom that is key to its abilities. When the Fullankar stings, there is no pain. And then, enlightenment.

The venom of the Fullankar is composed out of liquified and materialized knowledge, an exact copy of the knowledge composed in its other form. It is not harsh. Not much worse than a bee sting. As the poison courses through one's veins, the information within can be accessed by the mind of the victim, allowing it to act as if it had been trained in it all his or her life. A peasant farmer can become a melee fighter that surpasses all but the greatest of mortals, specializing in the use of hoes. An untrained beggar can become the greatest mortal surgeon in the entire region. An newbie brat can become a general that wins against all but the greatest of forces arrayed against him***.

This comes with a price, though. It being poison, and the Obsessive Scholar not realizing the complications caused due to himself being a second circle demon, the poison itself hinders the victim, or beneficiary, of the Fullankar. A swordsman will find his tongue numb, his speech slurred. A surgeon would find that, although his fingers are now nimble and precise, his feet have become sluggish, forcing him to use a cane. A great general's skin now produces a horrible smell, forcing all but the bravest of courtesans to flee from him. *

And it being poison, the Fullankar's toxin does damage to the body, costing one lethal health level per week. After several weeks**, the poison runs its course, and is purged by the mortal's native defenses, and disappears. And with it, goes the knowledge and puissance it grants.****

*Never will the penalty of using the poison of a Fullankar ever negate the gifts of its venom.

** A month

*** Increased dots, plus specialty. War 5 with a specialty against being outnumbered is a hell of a thing

**** I think I should put a limit on how many times one can get stung by a Fullankar before they collapse into a puddle of nouns.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
    Eh... ok?

Fullankar, the textbook wasps.
    Demon of the First Circle
    Progeny of the Obsessive Scholar

The Obsessive Scholar is a patron of the arts and of knowledge, with a grand wish to spread understanding and enlightenment throughout Malfeas, the Underworld, Creation, and Heaven itself. Each beggar a poet. Each street urchin a weapons grandmaster. Each street sweeper an artist. Sadly, in these fallen times, most do not have the time nor the inclination to study his books, no matter how well-written or how comprehensive. Why read about the vagaries of the stars, when one is wondering where to find his next meal? Why read about the Treatises of Ahnschlus, when one is trying to till the field for the next harvest? And so, the Obsessive Scholar, with some hesitation, made the decision for them. He made the Fullankar.

The Fullankar, in their dormant form, appear as any form of information recording, and acts as a comprehensive guide and work on a single subject, whether it is melee, war, or medicine. Whether in first-age crystal tablet, paperback book, or silken scroll. In this form, they are near-indistinguishable from other, more mundane books. Using the Fullankar in this form allows one to train themselves up as if they were studying under a tutor, and reduce training times to a third. The knowledge and words themselves slotting themselves into a reader's mind, the pictures, inscriptions, and diagrams, seemingly coming alive on the page itself, the reader's body subconsciously twitching as the book describes how one swings a sword or how to carry out a surgical procedure.

In the other form, the book itself unfurls. Transforming into a Fullankar's full form. It is the size of a dog. A stinger, composed out of punctuation. Wings, made from pictures. Feet, made from adjectives. A shell composed out of nouns. Flickering in and out of existence with compound eyes made from verbs, the Fullankar has a stinger composed out of prepositions, dripping with venom. It is the venom that is key to its abilities. When the Fullankar stings, there is no pain. And then, enlightenment.

The venom of the Fullankar is composed out of liquified and materialized knowledge, an exact copy of the knowledge composed in its other form. It is not harsh. Not much worse than a bee sting. As the poison courses through one's veins, the information within can be accessed by the mind of the victim, allowing it to act as if it had been trained in it all his or her life. A peasant farmer can become a melee fighter that surpasses all but the greatest of mortals, specializing in the use of hoes. An untrained beggar can become the greatest mortal surgeon in the entire region. An newbie brat can become a general that wins against all but the greatest of forces arrayed against him***.

This comes with a price, though. It being poison, and the Obsessive Scholar not realizing the complications caused due to himself being a second circle demon, the poison itself hinders the victim, or beneficiary, of the Fullankar. A swordsman will find his tongue numb, his speech slurred. A surgeon would find that, although his fingers are now nimble and precise, his feet have become sluggish, forcing him to use a cane. A great general's skin now produces a horrible smell, forcing all but the bravest of courtesans to flee from him. *

And it being poison, the Fullankar's toxin does damage to the body, costing one lethal health level per week. After several weeks**, the poison runs its course, and is purged by the mortal's native defenses, and disappears. And with it, goes the knowledge and puissance it grants.****

*Never will the penalty of using the poison of a Fullankar ever negate the gifts of its venom.

** A month

*** Increased dots, plus specialty. War 5 with a specialty against being outnumbered is a hell of a thing

**** I think I should put a limit on how many times one can get stung by a Fullankar before they collapse into a puddle of nouns.
    I feel like Meschlum would make something like that out of the 2nd edition fey.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I feel like Meschlum would make something like that out of the 2nd edition fey.
    Meschlum?

Fey?

14. - Top - End - #14

Meschlum?

Fey?
    Meschlum is a poster who occasionally discusses Exalted. I believe his mind was broken trying to read the 2nd edition Fair Folk/Raksha/Whatever-you-call-inhabitants-of-chaos rules. In his broken state he occasionally becomes lucid enough to write a miraculous thing the fairies could do.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Meschlum is a poster who occasionally discusses Exalted. I believe his mind was broken trying to read the 2nd edition Fair Folk/Raksha/Whatever-you-call-inhabitants-of-chaos rules. In his broken state he occasionally becomes lucid enough to write a miraculous thing the fairies could do.
    Um... what does this have to do with the demon I wrote up?

16. - Top - End - #16

Um... what does this have to do with the demon I wrote up?
    Because that sort of ability (the giant wasp stings you to give you skills you do not naturally possess) is the sort of madness he would regularly produce.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Because that sort of ability (the giant wasp stings you to give you skills you do not naturally possess) is the sort of madness he would regularly produce.
    Oh. Ok.

Um... what do you think of it?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. Ok.

Um... what do you think of it?
    ....well what is its purpose really? it grants you great skill in something in return for making you really bad at something else.....then it ends and the skill and such goes away. so what are you supposed to use it for? speaking as one who has played a sorcerer and wants to do so in the future. while 1st circle demons are weird, they generally have some use to them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

....well what is its purpose really? it grants you great skill in something in return for making you really bad at something else.....then it ends and the skill and such goes away. so what are you supposed to use it for? speaking as one who has played a sorcerer and wants to do so in the future. while 1st circle demons are weird, they generally have some use to them.
    Shoot it up into you ally, so that he is slightly more competent? Stab them into NPCs, and then send them on missions, cause you just boosted their competence? Shoot yourself up with the toxin, so that you, I dunno, get slightly weaker physically, but you just got bonuses to your occult skill? Grab several mediocre swordsman, sting them, have them get worse at social but better at sword-swinging, so that you get good bodyguards?

Lots of things.

20. - Top - End - #20

Outside some more obvious realms (violence, sex, art) demons are purpose-made in a bit...different manner.

Noresores feed on passion, and that happens to make for an useful demon to eat memories. Firmin are half-intelligent birdminded creatures that extrude needles to build nests, and those needles happen to be useful as weapons. Teodozja are a hive-mind of profanity that exist to spy and proselytize on yozi crack, and that happens to be useful to turn them into immense libraries of knowledge.

Others are more naturally just alien and "there". So you probably want to give off that vibe when constructing a demon.
    Last edited by Andreaz; 2019-03-05 at 06:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

... Its a wasp made of words. That literally injects knowledge as poison.

What else is there?

22. - Top - End - #22

In related Comic news, the Exalted Abyssals - Neverborn webcomic has just finished its run!

This might be the first Exalted webcomic EVER to fully wrap up, so it's worth a look!
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

The Lunar dominion manuscript was certainly informative. They run the gamut from a Lunar openly ruling a nation, to serving as a spiritual advisor without any technical authority, being a recognized and famed hero who doesn't hold any official position or being a folklore figure everyone thinks is a demon or spirit.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    The Lunar dominion manuscript was certainly informative. They run the gamut from a Lunar openly ruling a nation, to serving as a spiritual advisor without any technical authority, being a recognized and famed hero who doesn't hold any official position or being a folklore figure everyone thinks is a demon or spirit.
    And then there is a Dominion known as Iscomay that doesn't listen to them at all! which is also the Dominion that has become most like the Realm. and the famed hero has allowed the Touman to become a little like the Realm as well. the whole Lunar book has just given me a constant theme of how much the Lunars and the people under them are becoming the very people/monsters they're fighting. they're people who have stared into the abyss for far too long and are in most cases, just another powerful person taking things for their own gain by force from others while hating the enemy with a prejudiced eye.

like the smaller dominions are basically just organized raiders, the more established ones are conquerors or empires in their own right that do the same thing as the Realm in expecting tribute, with the one exception to either arguably being Skandhar Bhal and it has problems of being this isolationist valley that thinks everyone outside of it is unenlightened. complete with an Immaculate syncretism so that its copying something from the Realm even there.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not willing to search through the last 40 threads.

Are there any homebrewed spells made here? Preferably terrestrial sorcery. There's so little homebrew.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not willing to search through the last 40 threads.

Are there any homebrewed spells made here? Preferably terrestrial sorcery. There's so little homebrew.
    You mean last 17. 40 is a bit of an exaggeration.

as for spells, probably not. the previous threads were almost all 2e related and mostly complaining about 2e or meschlum chiming in with his fae creations from time to time most of those threads are pre-3e. I cannot recall a single spell terrestrial or non being made here or on the homebrew forum- this is a pretty DnD-centric place. any Exalted homebrew would be quickly lost amid the DnD homebrew tide over there, and this thread here is more for discussion.

that and how flexible sorcery is already, its hard to come up with new spells or uses, many spells can probably be refluffed for this or that concept and charms often do other things like social skills and combat far more efficiently and faster. so there is little motivation to do that sort of thing. honestly onyx path- which I know your FROM, I keep up to date on these things- is probably the place to go for Exalted homebrew, not here.

I myself am more concerned with charms, Exigents can't come soon enough for my liking, and I've been trying to make my own Fanxigents homebrew, haven't post it up anywhere yet because all I got made are a bunch of weird excellencies. I'm pretty sure I know how the Umbral, Heart-Eater and Dream-Souled Excellencies will work though, based upon developer comments.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I did write a few sorcery spells, but as Raziere says, they're very much for 2E, since I've never played 3E and honestly after trying (and failing) to get through the core it's not looking like I will.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    I did write a few sorcery spells, but as Raziere says, they're very much for 2E, since I've never played 3E and honestly after trying (and failing) to get through the core it's not looking like I will.
    Oh hey. Can I see them?

Why didn't you get through the core?

29. - Top - End - #29

I rather look forward to running Exalted 3e, there is a tonne of homebrew for it on the Onyx Path forums though I don't know if there is many spells among that.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I rather look forward to running Exalted 3e, there is a tonne of homebrew for it on the Onyx Path forums though I don't know if there is many spells among that.
    I've searched.

No spells. Or at least, only one or two.