New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Death's End IC II

Ben does not hesitate to answer; this is not the place to lie, this is not the person to lie to, and if caught in a lie Ben's plans would fold before they even started. If Ben is to get Kender's assistance, he will earn it with the truth. To be true, we do know eachother. This man is my friend and ally, and we have both come across two members of the Six as they began their tests, and saw a sampling of their power. What we saw was terrifying to say the least, and I come to you with a plan to save the city and protect her people.

I have not lied to you completely, I am a cleric, and I do offer my services while I am here. In fact, in order for my plan to work, it would be best if I serve here by day in disguise. I am a cleric of Necrovian, I serve my god to ensure that innocent life is sacred, and death is final. These Six threaten innocent people, and one of their number is in fact undead spellcaster himself. That one summoned a number of different undead to attack the candidates, and we decided to assist the candidates. After we joined the fray, the two members of the Six teleported away, leaving a series of undead creatures behind to do what they will. Some of these were Shadows, which have drained my friend's strength from him with a touch, but he also left behind a zombie dragon for us to deal with.

I realize that I am piling this all on very fast, but if you are willing to listen to my plan, I would gladly go further into detail, but I warn you that it requires the assistance of the church. If you do not think it would be in the best interest of this church or her parishioners, I understand and will say no more so that you can honestly deny knowing anything about my actions. Nobody but those I have met inside these walls know me as Obie. If you'd like me to leave, I will pay for the healing of my friend, I will do what I can to examine this blood sample alchemically so that you might be better prepared to heal those that come through your doors, and we will be on our way to get the rest of what I need together.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia stares at Myr's strange sword as he cuts through the door like it's cloth instead of wood and steel. "Well, uh, that's certainly one way to pick a lock." The alarm goes off and she winces. Well, nothing that could be done about that now. One minute. No one comes. She rummages around in her bag for a moment before pulling out a torch, already lit. The fire burns as bright as any other, but gives off no heat at all. "Just follow me."

She holds the torch high as she descends into the darkness that she once called home.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Myr raises an eyebrow at the already-lit torch, but says nothing. Sheathing his sword, he follows Callia into the darkness.

As they descend the darkness, he comments in a mild tone. You know this place? Does anyone else know that you know this place? Because this looks like an excellent place to ambush us, and turning a sanctuary into a trap seems very much their style...

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+10)[11]
    listen(1d20-1)[9]

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia chuckles quietly. The sound echoes off into the darkness. "I should hope they know. I'd hate to have been entirely forgotten in only two years. I'm just banking the hope that even the Six wouldn't be terminally stupid enough to start an all-out fight in the middle of the most prestigious magic academy in the Republic. We drove them off. They'll probably take a few hours to get back on their feet, at least." She also has the deal with Oberon. She has something he wants. Which means he has something of an interest in her survival, maybe enough to stay the hand of the more bloodthirsty members of the Six. The thought shouldn't be as comforting as it is. But Oberon had impersonated Headmaster Folkor... she shoves that traitorous thought out of the way, into the increasing pile at the back of her mind.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2014-08-11 at 06:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Is that an order? Her body moves forward to put them on, giving her no choice. Of course. Ah well. You know, I don't suppose you've noticed, but this body has been without rest for far too long now. It's probably the only reason you even managed that spell of yours. You might want to point it to a resting place before it collapses on its own.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft: (1d20+7)[27]
    To see if Lirian can tell what the artifacts do.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Arran, Ben: The man in white sighs, as though listening to the punchline of a particularly bad joke. Nevertheless, his gaze is both stern and earnest at the same time.

"Very well. You two say that you know each other. My usual policy involving these kinds of fraudulent schemes involves a quick kick out of the house of the gods. However, given the circumstances, I will make an exception to my own rules. If the Six are truly as dangerous as people have been telling me that they are, I doubt that there are many trapped in this city who are ever going to be same. There will be blood in the streets before long."

"That being said, I put a great deal of faith into the idea that holding onto hope is as important as having a plan sometimes. Onyx is a place in sore need of hope. So let's not have any more talk about payment for your friend, and tell me everything there is to know about this plan of yours."

Calia, Elara, Myr: As you descend, the light from Calia's torch seems to be the only source of illumination ahead of you. The stairwell leads out into a series of empty corridors that open up into empty classrooms. Everywhere you look, there are the signs of recent habitation. Doors and windows have been left ajar for students. Books have been earmarked and folded across desks along with loose pieces of parchment. Lines of text have been started under lesson headings, and just... abandoned. Incomplete diagrams on the chalkboards, supply cupboards left untouched. Whatever happened here, happened fast. It's as though the entire population of the di Kerastin Academy got up and walked off campus at the exact same time. The alternative is almost impossible to conceive.

Yet as you proceed further through this hollow shell, you become accustomed to a faint acrid smell that you trace to the floors, to the walls and windows. You can taste it in the very air you breathe. The more academically-minded of you recognize the scent of bleach and cleaning powders. Someone - or several someones - has done a remarkable job of covering up their tracks. All of this happened relatively recently, and if you had broken in here a day later, you would have found no traces whatsoever.

And then you see the blood.

Near one of the entryways leading to a pair of closed doors, you catch sight of a small spattering of droplets. In such a small nook, it would have been easy to miss. The liquid has yet to harden at all, suggesting that the event could not have happened even yesterday. At your best guess, whatever went down here happened not long after noon: the first public appearance of the Six. The two events might not be connected, but the specificity of the timing does not escape you. The silence you move through is a kind of noise unto itself now, bearing a very different character than it did when you first arrived. If you listen closely, you can almost hear the screams.

Lirian: At first, the pain is excruciating. The barbs around the choker and armbands pierce your skin, digging into your neck and upper body like miniature daggers. And yet your body is under Oberon's control, so it completely ignores the pain. Normally, it would be all you could do to stop from screaming, but now even that release is lost to you. Little rivulets of blood begin to run through the fur around the puncture wounds, turning what was once white into a steadily growing carpet of russet red. The initial shock wears off soon enough, leaving you with a dull ache that permeates your nervous centers. At the same time, you can feel the three items working in tandem to energize your body with new magic. Your veins are filled with the songs of sorcery, and your eyes blaze with new fire.

To your horror, Frost hops over into Oberon's lap, watching your transformation with a curious expression on his face. It's not quite clear exactly what effects the spell has on him, but they don't seem to be favorable ones. There is no recognition in your familiar's eyes, but if you look closely enough you can see the reflection of your own becoming. Oberon, noticing the interaction, puts away the chest and hands you a mirror to examine yourself properly. What stares back at you is not yourself, but something empty and twisted. Oberon has made a mockery of you.

There, there. Pain is by its very nature temporary. But you're right: I mustn't tire you out too much. You are but mortal, hm? Come, let us find you some suitable quarters in this godforsaken place. Draping your cat over his shoulder, Oberon begins to draw you away from the main chamber.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2014-08-12 at 08:24 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Myr pauses. He carefully doesn't look in Callia's direction.

I can search, if you'd rather stay here. he says lightly. But we need to be thorough.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Elara closes her eyes and takes in a deep breath as she spots the blood, yet another reason for her to kill the Six in front of her. But, before her thoughts go too deeply into the morbid realm of the Six and their actions, the mage opens her eyes again as Myr speaks.

"Yes. And if the Six came here and caused another bloodbath...we'll need every weapon we can get," Elara says, her own words bringing a frown to her face. "We came here to look for something to help Ala'thea, and we're going to find it. But there could be more here than that, and...well, if everyone here was killed it won't make a difference to them anyways," she continues, voice low. It's obvious that she's anything but happy with her idea of looting the school, but sees it as a necessity.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

My plan has a first stage, and several second stages that are contingent upon events happening. I find it is good to plan ahead like that, but as there are several I will walk you through stage one.

I am intent on gathering the true strength of this city and organizing it to repel these Six, and possibly destroy any of them that we can. Ben holds up one finger as if to express that this is the first part of stage one. From you, I need to borrow any acolyte, priest, or cleric with the ability to magically heal and turn undead. I know you dont have many to spare, but even a few would do a great amount of good by helping me in this plan.

Ben holds up a second finger, counting off the second part of stage one of the plan. Next, I would be taking my friend here and sending him to the military commander Titus. He will take with him a note from me to Titus, and will explain this plan to him as well. Unfortunately, it might take some more trickery to get before the man, but once there he can shed the cloak of lies as I have with you. I would have gotten Titus first, but he will be harder to get to and if I had your support first, then he is more likely to decide to be in on the plan. Titus's role would be to place my friend here under his command, but give him a few city guardsmen as well to join with your clerics. There are finer details to this stage, but for the purposes of brevity.

Ben holds up a third finger, marking the third part of stage one. Third, we will approach the magic college here. Unfortunately, I am not from here, and cannot say whether there is a virtuous person in the school or not. However, both you and Titus might know someone who would be safe to approach who is unlikely to be a pawn of the Six. Given the state of emergency in the city, Titus will have the power and authority to summon whoever we wish to a private audience chamber, and the person we summon could help suggest other good wizards for us to approach.

As you may have put together, these three parts all fit together by creating patrols of a more elite set of guards that are modeled after adventuring parties. The job of these patrols will be to engage individual members of the Six where they so appear. They actually are to be reinforcements, because I will be tracking down members of the Six with my.... divine power.... as well as tracking down the candidates. They are reinforcements to me and my friend here, but also likely to reinforce the candidates, as we have seen them engage in combat against the Six already. I have good reason to know that these candidates are likely to continue to oppose the Six where they can.

So, if you like my plan, would you be willing to commit a few clerics, or at least consider it on a condition that I can get to Titus? The testers are to work as individuals, so we should be able to separate them and remove them as threats one by one. I am also willing to answer any questions you have at this time before you say either way.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

"I..." This can't be happening. This can't be happening. Calia forces herself to breathe. The stench of bleach hits her like a blow to the gut, coats her throat and tongue. The halls are dead. She should have seen, she should have done something. Oberon had broken in once. Of course, of course he could do it again. Would do it again. Had done - no. She can't.... She hears a sound, a soft whimper not quite choked back. It takes her a moment to recognize her own voice. Dimly, she becomes aware that the others are speaking. Calia forces herself together. When she speaks, it is with surety she doesn't feel. "I suppose we don't have to worry about the alarm, then." She walks over to the bloody door. Even her breath is deafening in this silence. Crimson droplets shine under the light of her torch. "Come on. We need to find the storerooms." She tests the blood-spattered door, not sure if she wants to see what lies on the other side.

Spoiler
    Show

Switch to Senses Aura: +2 Listen, Spot, Initiative

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Arran, Ben: The more he hears of your plan, the more you begin to notice Kender's approval. He does not move... or maybe he does? You're not quite sure. But there is a spirit of camaraderie when he looks at you. He knows your secrets, and that makes him an ally. He moves to shake your hand.

"You must be truly brave to try and fight the Six like this. From everything I've heard, they seem like formidable foes. It will take nothing less than what you described to take them down. Anything is possible though - I get the sense that you are not one to count out the aid of the gods themselves."

"I will help you in any way that I can. As far as repelling and commanding undead goes, my own abilities are the most potent. Therefore, I will come with you myself. I am far from young, but there is no risk I would assign to those under my influence that I would not take myself. A leader does not use his people thus, and this house can be run without me. I'm afraid I do not know Titus Vasher well, but I can lend my support more fully if I am by your side. The people of this city know me. I'm heartened to hear about the candidates taking a stand as well. Many fear what will happen, should they fail."

"I will begin gathering materials and volunteers for when we leave. But in the meantime, don't you have a patient to look after?" He pauses, looking back at Arran and taking the warrior's hand in his own. A couple of moments pass, as healing magic begins to flow through his fingers. Like the feeling at the end of a long voyage, the weight of shadows is lifted from Arran's back. He smiles benignly at both of you. "I should practice what I preach, hm?" He nods once more before heading off to do what he has promised.

Calia, Elara, Myr: The portal opens with a slow creak. On the other side is a large circular hall that houses a stairwell down to the lowest levels of the campus. Grand columns add a touch of lost majesty to this place, the central spire of the building. Above you leads back up to those dead places you have already seen: all the empty rooms. No doubt most of the major facilities, such as the refectory, dormitories, and storerooms are closer to the ground. If the school was ever under attack, most of the students and faculty would have made a stand down there.

Just as you are about to leave, you detect another smell. It is much more subtle, especially beneath the strong aroma of the bleach and lye. Mixed in with the iron tones of the blood-drops is a kind of sweet scent, likely from some oil or expensive perfume. A female student's most likely, although there are plenty of men who are known to wear such fragrances. In fact, the scent seems to extend beyond the droplets and onto a nearby wall. There might be something there, hidden from conventional sight.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2014-08-14 at 07:21 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, will you attend my patient with me for a bit? At least while I work I would like if you could tell me what resources the church could lend me in my mission, and what clerics might also be willing to volunteer to help. Also, if you could tell me if you know of anyone trustworthy at the local mage's college? Arran, please come with me, after our host goes on to the rest of his business, I will have need of you.

Ben walks with them back to the cellar room where his patient lay, and as he talks with Kender, takes small samples of blood for study, and makes use of the tools he has and the equipment in the room to study the samples. After Kender leaves, Ben also pulls his forgery kit out to show Arran, looking amongst the different symbols of foreign dignitaries. As Arran looks over the heraldry, Ben asks Arran which he might recognize any of the important ones, and what he knows of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Craft(Alc) on the blood samples - (1d20+13)[31] plus any bonus I might get from Kender assisting if he has any ranks to do so.
    Heal, in case that helps - (1d20+3)[14] plus any bonus I might get from Kender assisting if he wishes to do so before leaving.
    Lore, for foreign dignitaries - (1d20+4)[12]
    I dont know if Arran can give any help for the Lore check, but I included him in this anyway, and maybe looking over my forgery kit will give a circumstance bonus? Is there a way to do a diplomacy check with the DM to get circumstance bonuses?

3Sec - can we go over "inventory" for what I can get from the church in the OoC thread? I need to know resources for fighting that I can borrow, clerics that the church can help provide, items I can borrow that might help any skill checks that could come into play (pretty much any check) plus anything I can use for various disguises.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2014-08-14 at 03:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373
    Firbolg in the Playground

Arran stays silent while Ben explains his plan, listening intently, and nodding when he comes up. He does what he is told, but the only symbol he would recognize belong to the Tiernan Matriarchy. He never paid much attention to the standards of nobility, and he doesn't know enough about history to recognize anything from that knowledge source. He stays silent as he stands at Ben's side.

Spoiler
    Show
    I still need that lesser restoration spell/ potion.

If I can help, I would assume it would be as a result of an intelligence check: (1d20-1)[16]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Elara pauses as she hears a quiet noise come from one of her companions. Turning, she realizes that it's Calia - her mind turns for a moment, coming to a conclusion. She'd been a student here, or worked here. It explained her knowledge, her comment and now her reaction. A shiver runs through her as the icy block in her chest shifts, compassion returning for the first time in what felt like months. Silently, the mage steps over to Calia, placing a hand on her shoulder and offering her a look of understanding sympathy. Obviously their situations were different; Elara's loss had been of a treasured friend, she had no home or place close to her heart that might be massacred, but the same feeling of pain and grief surely rests in the woman's own heart. So she offers the taller woman a slim smile, one not held up by false joy but supported by mutual pain.

As the group pushes deeper into the abandoned academy, Elara finds something she'd never expected to run into there - a sweet scent, precisely the kind that would draw her attention to the bearer, alone in the room. Sniffing to try and get a better idea of where it's coming from, the mage considers her repertoire of spells and, finding it lacking, frowns.

"Do you think there could be a hidden door here?" She wonders aloud, trying to find out precisely where the smell is the strongest.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Lirian follows, squirming mentally from the pain. As Oberon says, however, it fades soon.
    That would be nice. The pain may fade, but it's still a pain. Heh, still just mortal, as you said. Her mind wanders back to the ruins of Fort Valgus, and the encounter with Janos. It leaves a flavor of distaste on her thoughts. Well, for the moment, anyways. What the future brings, we shall have to see.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Myr nods, and detaches a sturdy and complicated looking brass signal lantern from his backpack, of the kind used on rivers and the coast. A minute or so's practiced work with a flint and steel kindles a soft light, which the parabolic mirror reflects into a fierce strong unflattering spotlight onto the suspect wall.

Does anyone know how to find such things? He asks carefully, making no move to study the wall himself. Or should I try to open it using the same lock-picking technique as upstairs?

He keeps looking around, rather than at the wall, keeping his nightvision intact and his focus on the surroundings

Spoiler
    Show

spot (1d20+10)[18]
    listen (1d20-1)[18]
    Myr's aura gives +5 to dex and initivative checks

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

It's been... Calia can't remember how long since anyone last touched her with any intent other than to mend or harm. She hadn't expected anything other than mistrust and hatred from the other candidates, not after that performance in Forger's Row. Hadn't dared to. She stares at Elara's hand. Empathy. Sympathy. Understanding - what had this woman lost to the Six? She likes to think she could offer the same, were their roles reversed. A 'thank you' rises and dies in her throat. She smiles in return, commiseration and gratitude. Her hand rises to cover Elara's. She doesn't want to let go. But they have things to do. And if there is even one survivor here, she must find them. She must make amends.

Calia pulls away and examines the wall. She whispers a spell, and looks around for traces of illusion on the wall. Runs her hands over the wood, feeling for seams or cracks that might hide a door. Listens for any sound that doesn't come from the three of them. Methodical. Precise. She owes it to any survivors. There must be survivors. Of course there are survivors. The alternative is unthinkable.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Detect Magic and looking around.

Listen - (1d20+1)[20]
    Search - (1d20+2)[6]
    Spot - (1d20+1)[5]

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Arran, Ben: The sample that you examine is unusual indeed. Under the intense scrutiny of your craft, you discover that the level of iron in the sample is greatly depleted, leaving the fluid without any actual nutritive substance. It is no less drained than the man on the pallet. There may very well be some disease at work within him, one of a supernatural nature. Whatever the corruption was that so afflicted him, mundane arts have no hope of identifying it.

"I have tried a cure myself, but the disease is strong. It will not leave his body without a display of force that I am not prepared to expend." Lender has a trio of other clerical staff behind him now, all wearing the grey robes of acolytes. Among them is the young woman who opened the door for you. One of them carries a small chest, which he opens to reveal a small trove of items. A small case of potions takes up most of the space within the compartment, many of which have been neatly labelled as curative measures of all kinds. Two of them seem to close and repair mundane wounds, but another two are labelled with the word 'sanctuary' and another with 'shield of Sirramar'. All seem most applicable for defense rather than offense.

The other three items in the chest seem more sacrosanct. The first is a light silver cord, that looks to be worn around the body like a belt. It is matched by a silver vestment, which is set with a circle of nine semiprecious gemstones surrounding a raised, silver hemisphere. Last, see a small black leather box attaches to two leather straps worn around the brow. Inside the box is a parchment of sacred prayers to Sirramar. It seems as though the items are all meant to be worn together.

And as you raise the items, the light catches off of a magnificent longsword nestled in velvet folds at the bottom of the container. Its hilt is characterized by the twelve-pointed star of the old gods, but its blade looks newly-forged. It seems to contain an inner radiance, but at the same time seems not quite of this world.

"These represent some of the most hallowed items under Sirramar's roof, brought out only in times of emergency. They will bolster your spirit and deepen your connection with the gods. And the sword... 'Corona'... will strike down any foes of justice, especially certain kinds of undead. In return for our trust, we ask only that you use these tools wisely."

Spoiler: Item Haul
    Show
    Alright, first you have two potions of cure moderate wounds, two potions of sanctuary, and a potion of shield of faith +4. As for the wondrous items, you've got the ephod of authority, cord of favor, and the phylactery of virtue, all pieces of the set known as the 'Vestments of Divinity', found in pages 214-215 of the MiC. You can make a Knowledge (Religion) check to learn more about the lore behind the set, but basically it enhances the abilities of good clerics. Finally, the blade is a +2 holy ghost touch longsword.

Calia, Elara, Myr: The longer you stand in front of the wall, the more you are convinced that there are no secret passageways or entrances to be found here. There aren't any catches in the stone, no real notable features to speak of. That does not mean that there isn't anything to find, however. Under the harsh light of Myr's lantern, you can make out the vague shape of a glistening scrawl across the masonry. Someone has written a message in the scented oil. Writing in blood would have been spotted and erased, so no doubt this substance is only visible under certain conditions. Furthermore, you detect a very faint aura of abjuration around the writing: a ward to protect the message from being washed away.

As the three of you trace the message, you can see that the hand was hurried. At a guess, whoever took the time to pass on the warning paid for it dearly. There is only one word.

Custodians.

Spoiler
    Show
    You may roll Knowledge (Local) or Knowledge (History) to try and figure out more about the Custodians, if you desire.

Lirian: The hallway that Oberon directs you down is studiously blank. The walls, floor, and ceiling are a neutral slate grey, with torches set at regular intervals to provide a healthy amount of light. Each of the corridors seems to run into another corridor, and there are few doors to speak of. Wherever the Six have taken you, there is little hope of navigating it without some knowledge of the layout. The only sound you hear is that of your own footsteps. Even that is muted, and you realize that the walls here are most likely proofed for sound.

Oberon stops in front of a door that looks like all the rest. The handle opens with a soft click, revealing a comfortable living area complete with several couches, a wooden table and chairs, and a fireplace. There is no heat emanating from the flames, which leads you to conclude that the latter is in fact illusory. At the end of the chamber, an open doorway leads into an immaculate bedroom. There are several ventilation panels placed at either end of the living quarters, each less than a foot across. In here, if you please. Oberon walks over to one of the fine chairs at the end of the table, inviting you to take a seat.

These are to be your chambers for the time being. I would take this time I have given you to rest and relax. There is a larder stocked with food and beverages, should you require them. I have other errands to attend to, but I'll be returning soon. If you would like company, just ring the bell next to the door here, and someone will join you shortly. The instruments I gave you take some adjustment, but after a while I promise you won't even notice that they're there. The robed man pauses as he heads for the door. Oh, and I'll be holding onto Frost for the time being. You can get him back when you've proven your loyalty to me. I promise you that no harm will come to him under my care.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2014-08-15 at 05:38 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

I can deal with that. I'd prefer it if I could hear him, though. Lirian looks around the room. Irritating though her situation might be, she cannot help but appreciate the comforts available. I take it you'll restore some degree of my control over my body, then? Allow me to act within the confines of what you've just said?
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Myr breaks his silence, still keeping alert for any signs of movement. He speaks into the too-silent darkness, softly, firmly, and with purpose.

Callia, whatever you decide to do, whatever you end up doing. Remember that this act was planned before they ever spoke to you. No speech or action of yours brought this about. The fault is theirs and theirs alone.

He removes a guantlet and brings up a thumb and forefinger, to press them either side of the bridge of his nose. For a moment he does not speak. When he continues, his voice is heavier.

Evil is not just a side. There is a reason it must be fought, must be resisted. We can't merely survive the Six. We have to stop them, here, in this city, so they can't do anything like this again.

He starts to replace his gauntlet. His word flow in a steady rhythm, as if he's said them countless times before.

Maybe I'm trying to banish doubts that haven't reached you yet. They will. In the darkest hours, hold fast to the truth. This is not your fault, can not possibly be your fault. This is just what they do, and will keep doing, until someone ends it.

At last he turns his head in her direction. Trying to find her gaze. Then he gives a nod and gentle smile.

So... we found something? Does anyone else need the light?
    Last edited by Togo; 2014-08-15 at 06:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381

Arran carefully and solemnly removes the longsword from its case, and then from its scabbard, inspecting the blade. It is more beautiful than any weapon he has ever held, even is ancestral greatsword, and he is truly honored to carry it. He kneels before the clerics and says, clumsily, "I hope to bear this weapon with honor, and swear in the sight of gods and men to return it when this city is safe. Thank you for placing your faith in me." Then he stands, and places the weapon on his hip.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Ben goes through the items presented by Kender. Thank you for everything, I will not treat your trust lightly. Prepare yourself for the evils we will be fighting tomorrow, our task is not easy, it never is.

After Kender leaves, Ben goes over the plan with Arran - So with Kender alongside you, we may not need much lying, but I will have you prepared anyway. I will have Kender escort you there, you will be a messenger from out of town. He will say the truth, that he housed you last night at the church and that he escorted you to Titus. When you get there, you are to say that you are under direct orders to bear a message that is for Titus only. I will forge a symbol outside an envelope to look like it is from someone important elsewhere, but it will inform Titus that he is to listen to you.

If you can hear me through the earring, I can advise you, but if not, you need to inform Titus that we are forming an elite squad to fight back against the Six of Shadow, and that we are already gathering allies. At that point you can ask Kender to come in and back you up on our plan, and let him know that I, an anonymous secret weapon is heading to gather further allies. I have a feeling that the wizards here will be to appreciative of being brought forth by the city guard. I'll ask Kender for directions and the name of anyone he knows there in the morning before we leave. Do you have any questions?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #383

"I think so," Arran says, accepting what Ben gives him. He is a little anxious about his ability to do what he is being asked to do, but he will play his part as best he can. "I will do my best," he says, "To convince Titus that we can successfully oppose the Six. I'm sure he already knows it is worthwhile, but he may not believe that victory is possible."

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia doesn't even seem to hear Myr. She traces the oil with her hand, piecing together what is written there from the glimmer of torch-light around the edges. Pieces fall into place one by one, symbols scrawled on hands and neck and mask. Not gone, only waiting. The terms have altered. If she understands it right - and she so often does not, but this time, it seems so certain - then... perhaps she no longer needs the Six. Not when she already sees what they are, or were, and the cause they serve. Leads and destinations and mysteries spin in her head, answers almost close enough to taste. And if she has that, if she can really find it on her own... Oberon has nothing more to give her. There's power in knowledge, in stories and secrets, and for once, it's the power they need.

Whether she's right or wrong, she can't afford the Custodians knowing anyone knows. A flick of her fingers and a few short words, and the wall is as clean as the rest of di Kerastin Academy. Her hand still smells vaguely of flowers.

"We might be here for a while," she mutters distractedly. She casts around for another lead, almost instinctively searching for the illuminated crescent. "Still need to find something ot get Ala'thea healed." She starts down the stairs, holding her torch high.

Spoiler
    Show

Prestidigitation to clear up that oil message.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2014-08-17 at 12:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

You are a soldier, Titus is a soldier, you know how these guys think. The rest of it is facts that already convinced a man who is also charged with the protection of the common people - he cannot afford to pass up on the only two people outside of the twisted game to have opposed the Six. You shouldn't need to lie about anything unless you need to give an excuse as to why nobody but Titus can listen to you, and for that you will have a forged seal on a note explaining the situation to Titus. Now if you will excuse me, I have a few... prayers to say.

Ben grabs the set of items lent to him by Kender, leaves the room to find an acolyte to see what other care can be provided for his patient, and goes to the main area of the temple in search of a candle to light. It had been a while since he sought audience with the gods, but now seemed to be a good time. The weight of the task in front of Ben is heavy, but the Necrovian had brought him the aid of Sirramar. Ben prayed for further aid on the morrow, for assistance for Arran, and for Sirramar to protect Rhea when he cannot. After his prayer, Ben looks for a spot to sleep.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Calia, Elara, Myr: The descent down to the lower levels offer no solace to you troubled minds. If anything, the scent of the purging powders is stronger down here. The Custodians have clearly gone to some lengths to ensure that this massacre is never discovered. Unfortunately for them, the di Kerastin Academy is simply too large a surface area to efficiently clean in such a short window of time: you discover several more bloodstains. They hide behind counter-tops, on the backs of chairs, in the space between two rafters. All of these are places that nobody would think to look. What's more, you have yet to find any equipment of use to you. Either the intruders destroyed it, or they took a great deal with them when they left.

By the time you come to the great dining hall, there is little left of the campus left to search. Portraits of the great mages stare out of their frames, unaware that their legacy has been wiped from this earth. The hall is devoid of light. The head table, that exalted place where Landry Folkor and his teaching fellows would sit during every meal, is empty. The school's grandeur only adds to the tragedy that its death blow seems to bring.

Finally, you reach the lowest levels of the school. The stairwell ends quite abruptly, leading into a singular corridor that extends into total darkness. The academy vaults are all that remain. If there are precious items left in this facility, they will be down here. Indeed, after another while, you come across another pair of locked doors leading into an unknown chamber. The other rooms have all been emptied, or otherwise searched. There is an unknown glyph seared into the iron.

Lirian: You will hear what I allow, nothing more. Something in Oberon's tone brooks no argument. The masked leader of the Six begins to walk back towards the door. You will find that your body is able to partake in any of the comforts I have provided. Beyond that, you will be testing my patience. See that you behave yourself. He nods as a kind of gesture of confirmation. He wants to know that you understand his demands before he leaves.

The door closes behind Oberon without a sound. And yet you can feel his thoughts trickle in through the filters in your mind. If you concentrate, you can see his shadow suspended on dust. Your mind moves through the same spaces as his, the same cold darkness. Something about Oberon just seems off to you. He does not see the world in the same way that most mortals do, does not follow the same rules. He certainly isn't human, in any case. You are his enemy, but he has given you freedom of a sort while under his roof. Your body is capable of exploring your new quarters. And yet, you cannot help but feel as though you are more trapped than ever before.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2014-08-17 at 10:02 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia frowns and pats down her bag almost expectantly. "Does anyone have any ink, or charcoal or something. I have a fr-" but she doesn't. Lirian isn't here, she's with Pro-Mi- Sylvia Inkweaver, and they can't go near her, not for the next three days. "...someone might know something about that symbol," she finishes lamely. She opens her hand, clenches it, opens it again. The emptiness rubs against her skin and the back of her neck prickles. She is not alone, of course not. But the eyes on her back are not the right ones, not ones she dares trust, not ones she dares to believe trust her. Her hand is still empty. Of course it is.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2014-08-20 at 12:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Myr looks at the door, then sighs and puts down his lantern.

I could try the same technique as before, but that might not be a good idea. Callia, I realise this isn't the best time, but can you possibly give us some clue as to what's going on, and what's likely to be behind that door? Or the likely nature of that ward?

He glances over at Elara. Unless you can work out what it is supposed to do?

He continues to examine the portal, but seems more interested in the walls, floor and cealing than the door itself.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

"I would recommend against using your sword, unless you're fireproof," Elara says after a few moments of concentration. With her index finger she traces a few lines of the glyph in the air, expression thoughtful. "Mmm...mmhmm. Yeah, this will explode if you break it. It'll also slow you down significantly first, so you'll have more trouble avoiding it. It hasn't gone off yet," she continues, lowering her finger. "I'd say the explosion would be...about twenty feet, at least in our direction, judging by the angle of that curve. It's a fairly common one, and I doubt they went with something obscure when this does the job well enough."

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

"Then we don't go through the door," Calia replies. She turns away sharply and walks past the frame, not quite touching the wall. "Myr, cut through the wall here and you might be able to make a passage through to whatever's behind that door. It's not going to be fast work, but I imagine all of us would prefer spending extra time here than being blown up."