New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Announces: Path of War Expanded

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Aw, man. I already wrote the character in paper. Aid Another with Bodyguard, the Bushi and Benevolent armor. Powerful, yes. Broken? I don't know. Lemme know, then.
    My concern is that since the bonus scales the way it does, its unfairly advantageous to Warlord and Warder Bushis, since they have full BAB. The numbers can potentially get pretty crazy, if you're targeting AC 10, an average roll could easily net you +8 AC just from BAB. Now that's at 20th level, but you can see how it could get out of control pretty easily.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    My concern is that since the bonus scales the way it does, its unfairly advantageous to Warlord and Warder Bushis, since they have full BAB. The numbers can potentially get pretty crazy, if you're targeting AC 10, an average roll could easily net you +8 AC just from BAB. Now that's at 20th level, but you can see how it could get out of control pretty easily.
    Still fails on natural 1 and some numbers are way to high defend against. Also, is it possible to use Aid Another like counters? 'm pretty sure you need to declare the Aid Another BEFORE the enemy attack. Anyways, if you wish to balance why not limit one per round and/or enemy? It will not be useless but a bit weaker.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Still fails on natural 1 and some numbers are way to high defend against. Also, is it possible to use Aid Another like counters? 'm pretty sure you need to declare the Aid Another BEFORE the enemy attack. Anyways, if you wish to balance why not limit one per round and/or enemy? It will not be useless but a bit weaker.
    Like I said, I'm looking for ways to make it more manageable. That's an option, but it'd probably be worse for your build than what I was thinking of doing (make Aid Another bonus equal to Initiating Modifier).

Bodyguard (that feat you took) lets you sacrifice an AoO to use Aid Another on an ally that's being attacked, making it basically like a counter.

4. - Top - End - #454

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Like I said, I'm looking for ways to make it more manageable. That's an option, but it'd probably be worse for your build than what I was thinking of doing (make Aid Another bonus equal to Initiating Modifier).

Bodyguard (that feat you took) lets you sacrifice an AoO to use Aid Another on an ally that's being attacked, making it basically like a counter.
    Hey, initiation modifier is a good idea. And yes, I know I can use an AoO but wasn't sure about the "interrupt" order like counters (in our table you can use counters after learning if the attack hits BUT before the damage is rolled).

Ok, 'm gonna stop and let ya think about it. Thanks for answering.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, everyone.

I've been thinking a lot about Prime32's suggestions regarding associated weapons and deities' favored weapons, and I'm seeing how the current wording for how a Warpath is selected is a little flawed. Let's look a few scenarios:

Scenario #1

The disciple chooses a deity. He looks at the deity's favored weapon. He chooses a discipline that allows him to use his deity's favored weapon. There was much rejoicing.

Scenario #2

The disciple has a discipline in mind, but his deity's favored weapon is not an associated weapon. He takes Weapon Focus with an associated weapon and gets the discipline he wants. There was much rejoicing.

Scenario #3

The disciple has a discipline in mind, but his deity's favored weapon is not an associated weapon. Further, the weapon he actually wants to use is not an associated weapon of the discipline he wants. He must take Weapon Focus with a weapon he isn't even going to use to get the discipline he wants, ending up with a completely useless feat. There is not rejoicing.

A couple possible solutions:

-Allow all disciplines baseline, regardless of deity's favored weapon. Loses out on fluff and makes it trivially easy to grab coveted disciplines (::cough cough Veiled Moon cough cough::), but means that everyone can always take the discipline they want and fight with the weapon they want.

-Specifically call out Weapon Group Adaptation as a way to take any discipline, either instead of or in addition to Weapon Focus.

-Something else I or someone else will think of as the playtest continues.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, I promised this awhile back. Now here it is.

Valor
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Can your men hold the portal?"

Guardian Kristina looked with worry at the dark knights arrayed before her; all two dozen of them were armed and armored, with thick shields and cruel swords blackened by fire and blood. Their discipline was good, there was no doubt about that, but -

"You don't trust them," the erinyes next to Kristina said simply. "Or me. Which is perfectly natural, considering our respective positions. Guardian, I know your worry, but you can trust my word. You saved my life, when you had no call to. That debt must be paid."

"Mercy doesn't need requital," Kristina protested quietly. "I told you that, Mirishka."

Mirishka gave Kristina a crooked smile and put a hand on the Guardian's shoulder. "Neither Hell nor the Black Thorn Knights have any interest in seeing this world overrun by demonic hordes. Go, and summon your Guardians. We will hold the portal."

Kristina gave one last uncomfortable look to the assembled knights and took off her necklace; her skin softened visibly, as though losing several thick layers. The Guardian placed it around Mirishka's neck, causing the erinyes's skin to harden against assault. "Come out of this alive. We have business to finish between us, Mirishka the Fallen."

Mirishka smiled wistfully as Kristina mounted her horse and galloped off, leaving her alone with the Black Thorn Knights she had roped into helping her fulfill her oath. Wordlessly, Mirishka turned and marched into the cave mouth standing before her and the knights, trusting them to follow behind her. With hours to go before the portal was due to appear, she ordered her men to their ease and squatted down on her heels to wait.

The first stirrings of the portal sounded in the shallow cave like a gunshot. Mirishka stood calmly while her knights arranged themselves into a defensive formation, two men deep with their shields locked against each other. The air sizzled and spat, loosing smoke that reeked of brimstone and fear.

"The Abyss bays at your world like the wolf at the door," Mirishka called over the sound, her voice edged with ancient hate. The erinyes strapped her shield to her left arm and drew her blade, made of blackened bone stolen from a thousand butchered sons of Chaos. "They think themselves assured in their victory. They laugh at you from the darkness of their pit and mock all that you hold sacred! Will you let this stand?"

"NO!" thundered the reply from two dozen lips.

"They think they can drown you beneath the tide of their mindless fury, but you will be the rock upon which their courage breaks! Scatter them like the rabble they are and when the day is won we will bathe in blood, for we are the true servants of Hell. For the Lord Below!"

"FOR THE LORD BELOW!"

The portal opened with a scream of sorrow and pain, and the hordes of the Abyss came pouring out of it in their hundreds. The wave of dretches emerged only six abreast - there was not room for much else - and broke against the shield wall of the Black Thorn Knights. Blackened blades swung in pristine arcs, parting flesh from bone and filling the shallow caverns with the shrieking sounds of death and suffering. "Push!" Mirishka commanded, and the knights stepped forward as one and shoved the wave of demons back. Black blades stabbed forward and the knights advanced again, until their wall blocked the portal.

"Hold the line," Mirishka called over the gibbering hordes of demons. "It's going to be a long night!"

For hour after hour, the dretches came and died just as fast as they could appear, until the mound of corpses before the knights was such that the berserk demons could barely even climb it. The trickle of dretches slowed, and then stopped.

“Switch!” Mirishka ordered; the front line of knights stepped apart and let their comrades in the rear through, swapping places in the formation. The new back line took a moment to uncap vials and flasks and take long drinks of fortifying potions, wincing as cuts healed over and cracked bones knitted back together. The dark knights raised their shields once more, falling back into tight formation and gazing grimly at the mountain of corpses before them.

“Come on, you wretched filth,” Mirishka muttered to herself, pacing behind the Black Thorn Knights. “I’m not through with you yet.”

A hush descended over the battlefield. Instinctively, the knights raised their shields – just in time to protect themselves from the mound before them exploding outward, showering them with sizzling demon flesh. A wall of claws and fangs hit the line of knights, who set their feet and pushed back. The hezrou demons on the front lines of the Abyssal charge staggered back and then howled in pain as their flesh was rent by black blades. Mirishka opened her mouth to give an order, only to be interrupted; a small, sizzling spark hurtled at the shield wall and then exploded into a roaring flame that filled that shallow cavern.

The demons paused their advance to stare in astonishment at the unbroken line of knights, each sheltered behind the others’ shields. The Black Thorns rose from their covering formation, shields smoldering, and attacked in defiant silence. Behind them, Mirishka scanned the demonic advance. Where was – there, above the battlefield, was an airborne succubus preparing another spell. Almost casually, Mirishka took the rope from her waist and threw it at the she-demon.

“Strangle,” she commanded idly, and the rope obeyed. The succubus fell from the air and was soon trampled beneath the onslaught of her own troops.

The valor of the Black Thorn Knights could not make them invincible. As the minutes and then hours dragged on, they began to fall one by one. The back rank stepped forward nearly instantly, each hole in the front line replaced with a smooth motion that left the wall of shields unbroken. Mirishka paced behind her men with one hand on her bone-hilted blade, watching the corrupt blood rise past their ankles and smirking cruelly whenever one of the charging demons tripped over the corpses of its fallen kin.

“Hold the line!” Mirishka called over the din of slaughter. “Reinforcements are coming! Hold –“

The marilith burst out of the portal in an eruption of death, her blades flicking out like frogs’ tongues to puncture the throats of three nights. Mirishka leapt forward, raising her shield to block a rain of hateful steel from slaying one of her men. “Close ranks!” the she-devil snarled, her bone-hilted blade leaping into her hand to parry a pair of twin slashes from the marilith. Her men stepped in around her, shields moving deftly to pin the marilith’s swords. Mirishka stabbed at the demon’s exposed gut and laughed when she felt her blade crack ribs and sink deep. The marilith screamed in agony.

“You demons,” Mirishka began, kicking the serpentine demon off of her blade, “have no idea. You think you know pain? I come from a place where suffering is a sacrament and every scream is a hymn.” The she-devil swatted aside the marilith’s blades and then stomped on the prone demon, making it howl in agony.

“Pray with me,” Mirishka hissed in hateful glee, before slicing the demon’s head from its body.

Silence reigned over the battlefield, and for a moment the Black Thorn Knights let themselves believe they had won. Then, in the darkness on the far side of the Abyssal portal, an outline of fire appeared. Mirishka’s lips curved downward into a frown, and she spared a glance at her men.

“Retreat,” she ordered. “Hold the surface and don’t let them through. This foe is mine.”

The knights spared a glance to Mirishka, some in admiration and a few in genuine worry. She nodded curtly to the entrance to the shallow cave, and they finally broke ranks and retreated to the surface, reforming their formation in the misty light of the dawn outside.

“Come at me, filth,” Mirishka muttered bitterly, her grip tightening around the hilt of her bone blade. “Come pray with me.”

The Empyreal Guardians and their allies pulled their horses to a halt when they saw the formation of Black Thorn Knights outside the cave. Kristina dismounted and approached swiftly while the reinforcements with her raided their saddlebags for wands, spell components, and other supplies.

“Report,” Kristina demanded, and the Knight before her actually saluted first.

“Field Operative Mirishka continues to do battle below,” the Black Thorn Knight explained. Kristina could hear the ring of steel against something, which sounded remarkably like striking lightning. “Our orders are to hold the entrance to the cave, Guardian.”

A priest loyal to the Guardians approached Kristina from behind. “It’s a balor down there, Guardian. We can’t seal the portal with that thing in there.”

Kristina sighed and nodded. “Form up with the Black Thorns. The confined space is just going to get us torn apart if we try to reinforce Mirishka.”
    “Do you truly believe this devil can fight off a balor?” the priest asked skeptically.

“I…have no idea.”

The balor’s massive longsword crashed against Mirishka’s shield, swatting it aside in a burst of electrical energy. The erinyes lashed out with her bone blade, slicing the whip in the demon’s other hand in two and arcing past it to rip a chunk from the balor’s flesh. The demon roared in anger, but his furious counterattacks were met over and over by Mirishka’s shield, filling the air with the stink of ozone and the demon’s hateful screams.

“Why do you fight?” the balor demanded. “You gain nothing here, little devil! You will die here!”

Mirishka sidestepped a cleaving, two-handed blow and drove her bone blade into the balor’s arm. The demon howled in pain as Mirishka’s blow first clove his body and then tore through his mind. The devil’s grip on her sword was not enough to stop his thrashing from tearing it from her hands, but Mirishka stepped forward anyway.

“Nothing to gain?” she snarled, her shield beginning to glow with red-and-violet light. The sound of rattling chains filled the shallow cave. “Opposing you pleases the Lord Below, and that is enough!” The erinyes smote her foe with the edge of her shield, where sharpened metal tore into his profane flesh.

“Even if it did not, opposing you fulfills my sworn word, and that would be enough!”

Behind the balor, the hordes of the Abyss waited with baited breath, watching in mute fear as their champion desperately parried the devil’s vicious shield strikes.

“Even if opposing you fulfilled no vows, watching you suffer would be enough,” Mirishka snarled in fury, ducking under the balor’s counterattack to smash his groin with her shield. The demon hit his knees, his vision blurring in agony.

Mirishka was shouting now. “And if you could feel no pain, my hate alone would be enough!” Her shield slammed into the side of the demon’s skull, sending him sprawling with blood pooling beneath the ruin of his face.

“You can never kill us all,” the balor croaked.

“Good,” Mirishka answered quietly, before stomping the balor’s head in with her armored boot. “That means I never have to stop hurting you.”

The demon erupted in an explosion of profane flame that seared Mirishka’s flesh and poured from the shallow cave in a gout of blasphemy. When the smoke cleared, Mirishka was picking herself up from one knee, still clutching the broken ruin of her shield. The devil glared through the portal to the Abyss.

“Who else is ready to pray with me?”

The demons ran.

Some weeks later, Mirishka found herself unexpectedly called upon; Guardian Kristina found her in an inn, where the devil had been reluctantly granted a table and was being glared at by a squad of local guards that stood lined up against the far wall. Kristina had a long bundle in her hands, which she set on the table.

“I never returned this to you,” Mirishka noted, reaching for the amulet around her neck, but Kristina shook her head. “Keep it, Mirishka. The Empyreal Guardians are very grateful for what you and yours have done for us. Your valor prevented a major catastrophe.”

“I am a woman of my word,” Mirishka answered humbly, but the devil smiled. “Truth be told, I made out like a bandit. Three more nations agreed to permit my presence, so long as I did no violence within their borders.”

Kristina did her best to look enthused about this news. “Open it up,” she suggested, gesturing to the bundle. Mirishka cut the twine that held the cloth around the bundle and unrolled it, revealing a gleaming adamantine longsword with a plain grip, its blade inscribed with symbols sacred to the powers of law.

“Its name is Oathbinder,” Kristina said softly. “Our gift to you, to replace the blade you lost.”

“You did not owe me this,” Mirishka answered quietly, her brow furrowing in confusion.

“Consider it…consider it a gift of friendship, Mirishka,” the Guardian replied, reaching across the table to squeeze the devil’s shoulder. She rose to leave. “Use it well.”

“Wait,” Mirishka asked; Kristina paused on her way to the inn’s door and turned, a curious look in her eyes. “Meet me here again, in a year and a day, as the sun sets. Dinner will be on me.”

“Whyever for?”

“Well…we have busy schedules,” Mirishka began. “But I’m told friends spend time together.”

Kristina grinned. “It’s a deal.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

THANK YOU!

I finally have some well-written and rules-adhering fiction to point to for Good and Evil to fight on the same side.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

8. - Top - End - #458

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    THANK YOU!

I finally have some well-written and rules-adhering fiction to point to for Good and Evil to fight on the same side.
    Wait. Why did you need collaborating evidence for this?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Wait. Why did you need collaborating evidence for this?
    You know, I've always wanted to play a Blackguard in a good party. She'd be enforcing the the law and being tyrannical because it was her way of saving the people from themselves. So noble. :'3
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Bugbear in the Playground

There was a fun 3.5e Paladin... **** it, it's an archetype from Dragon, which was the Despot. Lawful Evil, like the PoT, but LAWFUL above evil. The Ends Justify The Means. Protect the citizens.
    I particularly liked it because the fluff was really close to the Purple Dragon's MO so I kind of wanted to play a Half-Purple Dragon Despot at some point.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    There was a fun 3.5e Paladin... **** it, it's an archetype from Dragon, which was the Despot. Lawful Evil, like the PoT, but LAWFUL above evil. The Ends Justify The Means. Protect the citizens.
    I particularly liked it because the fluff was really close to the Purple Dragon's MO so I kind of wanted to play a Half-Purple Dragon Despot at some point.
    Either PHBII or Unearthed Arcana had the three variant paladins: Paladin of Freedom (CG), Paladin of Tyranny (LE) and Paladin of Slaughter (CE), with the default LG paladin being Paladin of Honor. Pretty simple conversions, all told. Basically just run a find-and-replace for good and law(ful) with your alignment corner.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

So how do Warpaths work with domains that function at below class level (such as Temple Champion's Paladin level -4)? What about Divine Tracker's getting blessings at full strength by 3 levels late?

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghanjrho View Post
    Either PHBII or Unearthed Arcana had the three variant paladins: Paladin of Freedom (CG), Paladin of Tyranny (LE) and Paladin of Slaughter (CE), with the default LG paladin being Paladin of Honor. Pretty simple conversions, all told. Basically just run a find-and-replace for good and law(ful) with your alignment corner.
    Paladin of HonorPHB SentinelDr#310 Paladin of FreedomUA
    AvengerDr#310
    EnforcerDr#310 IncarnateDr#310 AnarchDr#310
    Paladin of TyrannyUA
    DespotDr#312
    CorrupterDr#312 Paladin of SlaughterUA
    Anti-PaladinDr#312

The variants in Dragon are a bit more different from the standard paladin than the UA ones are (although those have their own quirks) - the Corrupter's Smite Heathen targets divine spellcasters of other faiths and can use Turn Undead-like mechanics to turn off divine spellcasting, for instance, the Despot gets Leadership instead of a mount and can sicken/nauseate at-will through Turn Undead-like mechanics, rather than a special mount the Incarnate can summon elementals...

Most of them aren't that good, of course, since they've got a tiny spell list and none of the ACFs that Paladins of Honor have.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Bugbear in the Playground

If we were to include Pathfinder - and why not - we've also got the Anti-Paladin (also CE) and 7 other variants from Ultimate Evil. Though 3.5e Anti-Paladin is a hilarious class. Unlike the Anti-Paladin(PF), whose code is 'occasionally kicking a puppy', and the Paladin of Slaughter, which is 'rebelling against everything for no reason', the Anti-Paladin from Dragon is /required/ to betray every party member they have and be a colossal ******* to even their most devoted followers.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin of Tyranny1/BG10 is the way to go.

Paladins of Slaughter are hilarious! I have always stated that.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    Though 3.5e Anti-Paladin is a hilarious class. Unlike the Anti-Paladin(PF), whose code is 'occasionally kicking a puppy', and the Paladin of Slaughter, which is 'rebelling against everything for no reason', the Anti-Paladin from Dragon is /required/ to betray every party member they have and be a colossal ******* to even their most devoted followers.
    Dragon's anarch (CN paladin) also requires you to follow a code of being as chaotic as possible, which... uh...

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Just for reference:
    Spoiler: Pathfinder Antipaladin
    Show
    Code of conduct: An antipaladin must be of chaotic evil alignment and loses all class features except proficiencies if he willingly and altruistically commits good acts. This does not mean that an antipaladin cannot take actions someone else might qualify as good, only that such actions must always be in service of his own dark ends. An antipaladin’s code requires that he place his own interests and desires above all else, as well as impose tyranny, take advantage whenever possible, and punish the good and just, provided such actions don’t interfere with his goals.

Associates: While he may adventure with evil or neutral allies, an antipaladin avoids working with good characters or with anyone who consistently attempts to do good deeds. Under exceptional circumstances, an antipaladin can ally with good associates, but only to defeat them from within and bring ruin to their ranks. An antipaladin does not need an atonement spell during such an unusual alliance as long as his nefarious goals are met in the end—evil cares only about results. An antipaladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are chaotic evil.

Spoiler: Dragon Magazine #312 Anti-paladin
    Show
    Code of Conduct: An anti-paladin must be of chaotic evil alignment and loses all class abilities if he ever willingly commits a good act. He must work at all times to undermine the works of civilization and good peoples, and must never offer mercy or grant quarter unless he betrays his word within the next hour. He cannot join an organization, but he can perform services for others as long as the services are for pay and ultimately lead to chaos and devastation.

Associates: An anti-paladin may adventure with any non-good alignment, but remains hateful and distrustful of any "allies". As soon as an ally is no longer useful, the anti-paladin usually kills her (or at the very least, sacrifices her for his own personal gain). He never knowingly associates with good characters, nor will he continue an association with someone who balks at senseless murder or refuses to reward him for his aid. An anti-paladin may only accept henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are chaotic evil. Anti-paladins always suffer the -2 penalty for cruelty when determining their effective Leadership score to recruit a cohort.

Spoiler: Paladin of Slaughter
    Show
    Code of Conduct: A paladin of slaughter must be of chaotic evil alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits a good act. Additionally, a paladin of slaughter's code requires that she disrespect all authority figures who have not proven their physical superiority to her, refuse help to those in need, and sow destruction and death at all opportunities.

Associates:While she may adventure with characters of any evil or neutral alignment, a paladin of slaughter will never knowingly associate with good characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin of tyranny may accept only henchmen, followers, and cohorts who are chaotic evil.

Spoiler: Dragon Magazine #310 Anarch
    Show
    Code of Conduct: An anarch must be of chaotic neutral alignment and loses all class abilities if he ever willingly commits a blatantly lawful act (such as abiding by an oath, fulfilling a contract, or joining an organization such as a brotherhood or fellowship). Aside from this, the anarch's code is really little more than a lack of code. As long as he continues to cause chaos and forment disrespect for law in others, his status as an anarch is secure.

Associates: An anarch never knowingly associates with lawful characters, nor will he continue an association with someone who consistently offends his moral code. An anarch can accept only henchmen, familiars, followers or cohorts who are chaotic neutral.

So, yeah. [Chaos].

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

Does an Anarch following its own Code of Conduct count as fulfilling an Oath?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

19. - Top - End - #469

Guys, as fascinating as this is...are off-alignment paladins relevant to Expanded? Is that something you may be looking for?

My extended homebrew sig

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

Guys, as fascinating as this is...are off-alignment paladins relevant to Expanded? Is that something you may be looking for?
    ...Maybe, come to think of it. Although there are a lot of martial divine casters out there and the only alignment-locked one is the Paladin, so maybe it's not all that necessary.

I mean, the Crusader was pretty much a paladin of whatever alignment you so wished. I dunno.

You guys have an evil and good discipline, right? Is there anything for lawful or chaotic characters?

21. - Top - End - #471

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    You guys have an evil and good discipline, right? Is there anything for lawful or chaotic characters?
    No, nor will there be. There's not a lot of space to make them mechanically distinct.

My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #472

No, nor will there be. There's not a lot of space to make them mechanically distinct.
    I'd imagine that chaotic could be based around using multiple different types of weapons and swapping between them over and over, but mechanically that'd be a pain + the needing to buy multiple magic items which would make you ridiculously strapped for cash.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I'd imagine that chaotic could be based around using multiple different types of weapons and swapping between them over and over, but mechanically that'd be a pain + the needing to buy multiple magic items which would make you ridiculously strapped for cash.
    Or having a chaotic discipline based on random chance and risk vs. reward, with a lawful discipline based on exclusively static numbers and rigid effects and strict orders and oaths.

Like, imagine a [Lawful] stance that forces you to Take 10 on attack rolls. Or a [Chaotic] strike that causes infighting in the ranks of the opponents. Or exploding dice, or [Lawful] mind-control, or [Chaotic] attacks that target 1d4 enemies, or make 1d4-1 extra attacks in a Full Attack like that chaotic monk in Dragon Magazine (#335, if you wonder.)

...Maybe I should just homebrew this instead. I think I remember something about a gambling discipline, so I'll take a look at that.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Romantically? Yes. Such noble. So paladin.

From a gameplay perspective, it would be interesting. It really depends on how you handle the fluff and the mechanical connections.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Or having a chaotic discipline based on random chance and risk vs. reward, with a lawful discipline based on exclusively static numbers and rigid effects and strict orders and oaths.

Like, imagine a [Lawful] stance that forces you to Take 10 on attack rolls. Or a [Chaotic] strike that causes infighting in the ranks of the opponents. Or exploding dice, or [Lawful] mind-control, or [Chaotic] attacks that target 1d4 enemies, or make 1d4-1 extra attacks in a Full Attack like that chaotic monk in Dragon Magazine (#335, if you wonder.)

...Maybe I should just homebrew this instead. I think I remember something about a gambling discipline, so I'll take a look at that.
    Devoted Spirit had some Lawful and Chaotic maneuvers. Lets see here...

Law had a 1/round "take 11" stance and a charge that granted +5 to AC and saves when used against a chaotic creature.

Chaos had an exploding damage dice stance and a charge that granted total concealment when used against a lawful creature

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghanjrho View Post
    Devoted Spirit had some Lawful and Chaotic maneuvers. Lets see here...

Law had a 1/round "take 11" stance and a charge that granted +5 to AC and saves when used against a chaotic creature.

Chaos had an exploding damage dice stance and a charge that granted total concealment when used against a lawful creature
    Exploding die led to the infamous d2 Crusader, and would need to be regulated somehow, but it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Putting a limit on exploding die per round would serve to cut down the power from such stance, perhaps something like 1/2 IL or Initiating mod?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Putting a limit on exploding die per round would serve to cut down the power from such stance, perhaps something like 1/2 IL or Initiating mod?
    Or... just don't put something in that would do that. The stance wouldn't hold up without crazy maths, anyway.

29. - Top - End - #479

RangerGuy

Yo, hi.

I have a question about mixing Bushi and Scarlet Throne stances/maneuvers. The Mithral Current discipline gets me a couple of benefits when I sheathe and draw my weapon. What happens if I sheathe my weapon and 'm in a Scarlet Throne stance?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Throne, page 82
    He must either have his off-hand empty, or be wielding a weapon two-handed to use this discipline.
    My off-hand will be empty. My main hand as well, does it matters?

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yo, hi.

I have a question about mixing Bushi and Scarlet Throne stances/maneuvers. The Mithral Current discipline gets me a couple of benefits when I sheathe and draw my weapon. What happens if I sheathe my weapon and 'm in a Scarlet Throne stance?

My off-hand will be empty. My main hand as well, does it matters?
    Scarlet Throne specifies or, that means as long as one condition is satisfied its enough. If your weapon is sheathed, is your off hand empty? Then you're good.