New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 39 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Peril and Fame (IC)

Captain Thalin was the rare sort of dwarf that made you wonder if half-dwarves were possible. Just shy of five and a half feet tall, he seemed more like a burly and hirsute human teen than a dwarf past his fortieth year. He was handsome, generous, and eager to listen to other peoples' points of view. And most damning of all, he'd not only taken to sea, but had used the spoils of a short career as and adventurer to purchase his own ship.

"Ha! There she is!" cried Thalin from the bow. He'd never been this far north and was even more excited than his crew or passengers to set eyes on the City of Monuments.

The fog that had rolled north from the Mushfens all morning began to fade as the sun rose to its zenith. The first sight of the broken bridge, visible just over the haze, made it seem the docks were a stone's throw away. The Irespan was deceptive in its enormity. Only when the cliff side and the first towers of the city loomed into view could you appreciate just how massive and distant was the broken relic of ancient Thassilon.

Thalin drummed his fists excitedly on the railing. "That's the Irespan! Three hundred feet tall! Can you believe it? Oh, I'm gonna climb it. I'm gonna climb it and piss off the edge!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It would still be another hour before the Minx docked, so you have enough time to collect your things and ask the crew or captain questions about the city. Thalin at least has read a lot about Magnimar.

The date is Fireday, the 1st of Erastus in the year 4711.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Peril and Fame (IC)

Zuberi stood by the starboard railing, gazing at the Irespan and the approaching City of Monuments. Magnimar. Here his journey would come to an end, at least for a while. He had put hundreds of miles between himself and the Inner Sea, and even from this distance Magnimar seemed to promise countless places to get lost in. Here the slate would be wiped clean. Here his life would begin anew.

He made his way to the captain.
    "Captain, is there anything else you would ask of me?" Zuberi's voice was deep and rich. He had taken to orders without hesitation, and now that the voyage was almost through, he found himself uneasy. Even such a small amount of discipline and guidance in his day to day life had been comforting to him, and the prospect that it would soon be gone frightened Zuberi more than he could say.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The captain clapped Zuberi on the shoulder, still giddy at the sight of the Irespan. The two gold clasps on his long braided mustache jangled as he spoke. "Ah, you're a good man, Zuberi. And a half decent rigger."

His hands shot up at once, "Only a joke! You're the hardest working man on this ship, including me. I know what the answer is, but you should give a thought to signing on for another voyage. You're still learning, but I'll pay you as much as an able sailor."

Ten gold crowns a week was good pay, enough to tempt most men with few prospects, but Thalin could read it on Zuberi's face that he wouldn't be interested.

"Ah! Stow those lines there. Neatly, Mr. Zuberi. And that will be all." With his final order, he extends his arm for a firm handshake.

Spoiler: Zuberi
    Show
    Zuberi finds a single platinum coin in his palm -- apparently a bonus for his hard work and good attitude.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi smiles, a rare sight indeed. He takes the captain's hand. It was a tempting offer indeed, one he had half expected, but he knew ultimately his fate lay elsewhere.
    "Thank you, captain. Should you return to Magnimar some day, and I am still there, then repeat your offer, and we'll see if the winds of fate have changed. For now, the City of Monuments calls to me. May the wind be always in your favor."

Zuberi moves off to gather the wayward ropes, happy to have a purpose during his last moments aboard.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Peeking through the long strands of her black hair, Irčne emerged from below deck, raising her gloved hand up and squinting as she looked up at the midday sun. Being a consummate night owl, she was not used to being up so early, but it was rather difficult to ignore the shouts of "Land Ho!" and the running to and fro of the crew as they prepared to bring the Minx into dock. Plus, it would be rather difficult to complete the task she came here for if she just stayed in bed and never got off the ship.

And so the priestess of Desna emerged, bringing up her hood to protect her sensitive eyes from the sun and striding toward the forecastle, her snowy owl companion Stjerne perched atop her shoulder. Stepping onto the deck, she momentarily forgot her annoyance at the bright sky-orb as the magnificent sight of Magnimar stretched out before her, the Irespan towering behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    "That's the Irespan! Three hundred feet tall! Can you believe it? Oh, I'm gonna climb it. I'm gonna climb it and piss off the edge!"
    Irčne wasn't sure whether to be amused or disgusted.

Shaking her head, she approached the captain, waiting until he was done talking to Zuberi before she approached him.

"It really is a beautiful sight." Irčne smiled as she spoke, her lilting Galtan accent shining through. "Tell me, captain - you know a fair bit about Magnimar, yes? Where would one go if they were looking for fellow devotees of Desna?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-07-01 at 07:36 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The captain leans back and props his elbows up on the railing and looks up at Irene. "Oh aye, just swing a stick around and you'll hit one of the Dreamer's faithful! Magnimar's full of Magnimarans and Varisians: both love Desna. In the Keystone district, I think, there's a big tower built in her honor. Start there, lass."

Looking slightly wistful, he adds, "I'd go and pay my respects as well, but I think the Lady hears my prayers just fine from my ship. Well, maybe not all of them..."

Spoiler: Irene
    Show
    Irene recalls a legend about the founding of Magnimar that involves a messenger of Desna appearing, though she can't remember the specifics.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Leaning against the mainmast, and safely shrouded in shadows cast by the sail, Valamir watched from a distance first as Zuberi and the captain exchanged words, and then as Irčne came on deck. As she spoke with the captain, Valamir left his position and approached as well, hoping silently that the billowing of his cloak in the wind would mask the uniqueness of his shadow. None of the other passengers or crew had remarked on it yet, and he certainly wasn't going to mention the fact that he cast a shadow which brought up memories of scary bedtime stories for children. As he drew near the captain, he leaned in close as if to say something quietly.

Spoiler: Captain Thalin Only (Unless you pass a perception check?)
    Show
    "My most sincere thanks for taking on such...precious cargo. Please, Captain, let me know in the future if I can aid you in the future with similar endeavors."

"Quite the sight," he remarked. "I think I'd like to catch a view of the city from the Irespan myself. I wish my sister could see it."

"I'd bet it's quite the view on a starry night as well,"
    he added with a wink to Irčne. "Anyone care to join me later?" Valamir smiled and turned back to the Captain. "As for myself, I'd like to know where I might find fellow devotees of fine drink and good company."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

As the captain's voice carried over the deck, Vai had already ascended the mainmast to reach the crow's nest. She stared intently, obsessively, at the approaching Irespan, giving the crewman on watch not a second glance. Only the movement of the other passengers on the deck below seemed to rouse her from her fugue, and with a start she finally seemed to notice the man pressed against the rail trying desperately to stay out of her way. She gave him a wicked smile and a pat on the cheek before she began her descent, and by the time she alighted on the deck Zuberi, Irčne, and Valamir had all appeared. But her attention was not for them, not yet at least - it was for their dauntless captain, whose pliability deserved a reward.

"It seems impolite to invite a comparison that would shame Magnimar's most renowned monument..."

She ran her too-sharp golden nails lightly along Captain Thalin's shoulders.

"However can I thank you for this enchanting voyage, Captain?"
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-07-02 at 03:53 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

9. - Top - End - #9

"Oh aye, just swing a stick around and you'll hit one of the Dreamer's faithful! Magnimar's full of Magnimarans and Varisians: both love Desna. In the Keystone district, I think, there's a big tower built in her honor. Start there, lass."
    Irčne inclined her head gratefully. "Thank you, captain. I'll put in a prayer or two for you while I'm at it." The priestess then turned as soft footsteps rang over the deck, the grey-skinned main known as Valamir making an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    "Quite the sight, I think I'd like to catch a view of the city from the Irespan myself. I wish my sister could see it."

"I'd bet it's quite the view on a starry night as well. *wink*
    Anyone care to join me later?"
    Irčne innocently smiled. "Well, I'd definitely love to see the view at night. If anyone else happened to be there, I certainly wouldn't mind."

As Valerai appeared and draped herself around the captain, however,
    Irčne edged away, moving to another part of the forecastle. Polite conversation was one thing, but throwing yourself at someone... it was a touch more than she was used to.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"I'd bet it's quite the view on a starry night as well,"[/COLOR] he added with a wink to Irčne. "Anyone care to join me later?" Valamir smiled and turned back to the Captain. "As for myself, I'd like to know where I might find fellow devotees of fine drink and good company."
    "Sorry lad. You'd best ask a local once we put in. I'll be drinking at the Captain's Club. No ship? No sips!" Thalin continued to chuckle at his own joke while Vai approached.

"However can I thank you for this enchanting voyage, Captain?"
    "Oh, well, I am very partial to Sencha tea. Been over a year since I've found anyway. Bit hard to locate, even in Absalom. But Magnimar is home to a few Minkaians, so I was hoping someone here might cultivate it. A long shot, I know! But it's special to me..."

Unlike most men, the mountain of a dwarf seemed impervious (or else oblivious) to Vai's wiles. It was evident to her, or anyone else that dined with the captain or shared a drink, that there was someone always on his mind. None of the crew could say who this muse was, but all knew he had sworn to love no other. Love her from a great distance, apparently.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

As if on cue Shimura climbed the steps to join them on the bow. Despite the distance still to go he had gone ahead and gathered his belongings, not that it amounted to much.

"What's this about sencha?"

Shimura had been supplementing his own meager stock with roasted rice just to make it last as long as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"Very well then, captain," Valamir responds, his smile unfaltering as he glances back at Irčne. "Maybe I shall also pay my respects to my fellow Desnans and ask them where the best drinks and company might be found."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Shimura
    Show
    Shimura knows that Sencha is a green tea popular in Minkai. The way its cut and preserved give it a unique rich flavor. Even if anyone was cultivating it near Magnimar, it would surely be expensive -- perhaps 80 or 100 gold for a half pound. Maybe twice that if it were imported.

The captain greets Shimura with a polite nod. "I was just saying it's been a long time since I've had any sencha. If I'm being honest with myself, it's not my favorite, but, oh it brings back good memories of my days as an adventurer. It's all Lord Tanaka would serve, morning noon and night! So we all had to develop a taste for it. He was a sober man and there wasn't a drop of liquor or beer in the castle. Not even the gods awful rice beer they make. Meaning no offense! Now, we did all get so drunk on sake once that we... oh that's not an appropriate story for mixed company. Not appropriate."

He mumbles the last few words and shyly goes back to his duties as a captain as the ship approaches the docks.

Spoiler: OOC - All
    Show
    Normal positing schedule should resume tomorrow. And the ship will docked, so everyone will be free to explore the city.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-07-05 at 07:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Dockway

The crew of the Minx busy themselves unloading the cargo, almost before the passengers can find their way off the gangplank. Whatever qualities the dwarven captain lacked as a seaman were overshadowed by the fact that his men were fiercely loyal and determined.

Judging by the low roar and faint mingling of perfumes, spices and fresh seafood, you were near a market. A group of porters brushes past, each laden with sacks of grain from the Chelish caravel docked nearby. A teenage boy is the only one who seems to pay the travelers any mind, gawking as he walks past with a hard roll hanging from his teeth while balancing three sacks on his narrow shoulders.

To the west, there is the Captain's Club. The tavern is easily spotted thanks to the tasteful, but grand wooden placard in the shape of a two-masted ship that proclaims the name of the establishment in bold black letters. The sails of the ship appear to be inlaid with mother of pearl. The windows of the building are all blue stained glass, framed in rosewood.

Directly to the east is the Bazaar of Sails, as mentioned by Captain Thalin. If not the largest market in all of Varisia, it's certainly the freest. What you can't find there, Thalin warned, you don't need. The list of contraband in Magnimar was a short one -- poisons and slaves, as most folk reckoned. The thought that there were far wickeder things to trade in seldom crossed the minds of most folk.

Nearby, a group of three swarthy looking men mill about, passing a pipe between them and smoking a foul smelling cheap tobacco. They all wear orange sashes at their waists and wear a mottled assortment of leather armor.

Spoiler: Alessandra, Vai, Valamir
    Show

The men are Varisians. Very probably members of one of the Sczarni families. They're likely low level enforcers for informants. Without more information about the city, you can't tell precisely who they work for. You can be sure they'll report back to their boss that they saw some interesting travelers (some of them rich) arrive today.

Spoiler: Irene, Zuberi, Alessandra
    Show
    The men are definitely keeping tabs on the passengers and cargo that's coming off the Minx. The short one with a goatee says something to the tall, muscular one and nods toward Vai. Unfortunately, you don't understand the language.

Farther along the street, a man with a trim brown beard and humble clothing appears to be setting up for a performance or announcement. He carries with him what appears to be a pink stuffed toy unicorn and a banner as he climbs atop a crate.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-07-08 at 05:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi was never comfortable with large crowds. Like a leaf caught in a rushing brook, he felt himself getting swept up in the teeming commotion. Too busy with the final few tasks on the ship, he had failed to ask anyone on the Minx if Irori had a presence in the city. Figuring any followers of the Perfect One would make a good initial contact for opportunities in Magnimar, he attempted to ask strangers for directions or any relevant knowledge.

Before the words could even leave his mouth, he found people turning aside or quickly stepping away. Whether it was his imposing stature, his foreign accent, or the general sense of discomfort he radiated, he was making no progress.

Feeling increasingly helpless, he took a moment to step out of the throng, in the shade of some merchant stalls. He centered himself, breathing deep, in and out. The reflection of a still pond was clearer, closer to the truth. There would be time for questions, time for exploration. The more impressive specimens among the Minx's former passengers were easy to spot in the crowd, so he kept an eye on them, as if they were anchors amongst the chaos. He also made sure to keep a line of sight on the trio of men smoking a pipe, vaguely aware of certain predatory nature that hovered about them.

16. - Top - End - #16

Raising her hood and clasping her gloved hands, Irčne daintily followed the other passengers down the gangplank, craning her head around as she tried to take in the sights. Immediately, her attention was drawn to the men in orange sashes, and her brow furrowed.
    Criminals of some kind, perhaps? Scanning for possible marks? It would be a bit brazen for such folk to be out in broad daylight. Definitely members of some kind of organization.

Turning away from them,
    Irčne's attention was next drawn to the man setting up for a play. A look of delight on her face, Irčne started toward him, then stopped.

Perhaps some fresh food first. Then a play before I go to try and find the Keystone district.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Irčne will poke her head into the market first and try to get something to eat (preferably on a stick), then go and see the man perform. She will try to ask whoever sells her the food for directions to the Keystone district as well.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Valamir walked over to the railing on the ship's deck and inhaled deeply. He looked around and took in the sights while the smells drifting over from the Bazaar filled his nostrils. It was the smell of people and trade goods, animals and food. In a word: Commerce. And commerce meant life. "I think I'm going to like this city," Valamir stated with a smile.

Among the sights that filled his eyes was that of the three smoking men, and Valamir stared long at all three of them, picking them out for ones to stay wary of. He knew their kind, after all. As he came down the gangplank, Valamir spotted the man setting up for some sort of presentation and felt his feet drift in that direction. A little curiosity couldn't hurt, he reasoned, though he made a mental note to check in at the Temple of Desna later. "See you at the temple later, Irčne?" he asked before continuing down. "And then tonight on the Irespan?" He stopped suddenly and smirked, "Unless you don't want to be seen in my company," he added, "We Desnans should stick together, you know."

Spoiler: Lord of Mantas
    Show
    Irčne is under no obligation to have anything more to do with Valamir, if you wish. I have no idea what your intentions for your character are, and Valamir has his own ideas of what he wants to accomplish here. I just figured it's a decent hook to keep at least part of the party tied together somehow, in case we need and/or want to team up for anything.

18. - Top - End - #18

Looking up at Valamir, Irčne smiled delicately. "No objections whatsoever, Valamir. It'll be good to have a familiar face to talk with, especially one of the faith. Of course, I can't guarantee that I'll always be around; I'm sure we both have our own goals - but I'll definitely see you around."

This done, the priestess promptly resumed her search for stick-borne crunchy goodness.

Spoiler: Othniel
    Show
    I have no objections to keeping a good hook for meeting again up, especially since, if what Nefarion's said is true, we'll probably be best off attempting to team up with each other for bigger problems.

Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-07-11 at 07:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

It doesn't take Irene long to locate a food vendor with something to satisfy her appetite. As it's about noon, so a small crowd gathers around each stall, and it's easy to tell what's popular. The first vendor, popular with porters and dock workers on break, looks to be serving what could be described as 'the parts of the pig that rich people don't want'. He offers up bowls of white beans with crisped pork knuckles and other assorted porcine parts. The second vender, serving some of Thalin's crew, has sausages on sticks, encircled with a corkscrew of crispy fried potatoes. Most of the locals get theirs with a drizzle of a white sauce that smells faintly of dill and lemon.

The merchant looks Irene up and down, but says nothing about her appearance. For three copper pieces, he proudly offers over his crunchy-goodness-on-a-stick and eagerly awaits a compliment on his food from the newcomer.

"Keystone? Head east through the bazaar, then follow Hawk Street aaall the way around." He draws a wide half circle with his finger. "When you see the water gardens, you're there."

Meanwhile, the performer has finished setting up atop his crate. A banner is hung beneath him, proclaiming him "The Baron" in glittery pink letters, though it fails to specify of what or whence. He has with him a box of fresh orange peppers, a bottle of wine, juggling pins, knives, a book, and as mentioned previously, a pink unicorn toy.

"Repent!" he screams in an unnaturally deep and booming voice for his frame, "The time of trampling is neigh! Fluffy has come! Bow down in worship of your dark master and you shall, no, not be spared, but be trampled first! So as to not witness the further trampling, you see. It's depressing. WORSHIP HER! Gaze into the abyss that is her... are? ... her eyes and despair! Yes! Gaze and bow. Gaze now, bow second, I suppose. Renounce your false gods and worship only Fluffy!"

He waggles the unicorn doll menacingly at the audience while conjuring a crash of thunder with a cantrip. The moon-faced unicorn continues to smile vacantly.

"Ah, yes. You laugh because you've gone mad with terror! You've gazed into the eyes of the most evil thing in the multiverse and you... "

The doll begins to float into the air and slowly rotates to face the astonished Baron. He falls to his knees and begins whimpering. "No, Fluffy, no! I've always been your most loyal..."

"Silence, mortal!" commands the unicorn in a shrill tone.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-07-12 at 12:44 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Plopping down her three copper pieces, Irčne took a great bite from the sausage-and-chips on a stick, moaning a little as the savory taste of meet and spices coiled around her mouth and mixed with the acidity of the dill-lemon sauce and crunchiness from the potato. She nodded enthusiastically at the vendor.
    "Delicious."

As the Baron's play progressed, Irčne began giggling uncontrollably, holding a gloved hand in front of her mouth in a desperate attempt to keep from chortling.

An omnipotent unicorn that rends its victims insane? This is definitely going to be good.

Despite feeling the temptation to do so, Irčne refrained from throwing out her own comment for the time being, content to sit back and watch where the play went next.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dockway

"Ah, this is Magnimar, no doubt about it. There's the Irespan over there, and everything.", she mutters to Ambrose aboard, even as the gangplank was lowered. That means it's time to go.

A certain Chelaxian woman stood tall as she disembarked from the Minx, with a long glance spared for the three men. They wouldn't dare try anything now, but she had no intention of looking like a mark. Glancing about for the person they're taking a look at, Alessandra set her eyes on the Calistrian, a faint smile gracing her lips as she nonchalantly altered her course to approach. Few things dissuade thieves as well as seeming to be associated with Calistrians; nobody wants to invoke their ire, if they can help it, and these three definitely saw her. A little small talk might be needed to sell it though.

She ran a hand through her hair to see if it was still presentable or stiff from the saltspray before addressing Valeria as soon as it seemed appropriate. She threw a glance at some of the passerby and said "So, if you don't mind me asking, what do you plan to do with your first night in Magnimar?", knowing full well that the answer would probably be 'introducing herself at the local temple'. "Personally, I think I'll find an inn and have a drink. Check the notice board for any interesting-looking work. Break the arm off some lout trying to pick a fight. You know, the usual."
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2015-07-12 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Tense correction

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

After Irčne wandered off to find some food, Valamir set his attention on the man setting up for some sort of show. The Fetchling looked on in amused silence, but broke into laughter at the man's "The time of trampling is neigh!" As the presentation progressed, Valamir moved over to Irčne and spoke to her in a low voice, "I wonder...entertainment solely, or perhaps a distraction? Mind your belongings!" Valamir turned a suspicious eye on the man as the unicorn seemingly acted on its own. He'd seen enough stage magic to know that this could be something of the sort.

Show
    Now I'm hungry for fair food.
    Also, perception to see if there are any shenanigans going on (is the presentation a diversion, or can Valamir notice that the "Baron" is causing the Unicorn's magic: (1d20+9)[21]
    Also, Spellcraft if applicable: (1d20+11)[21]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Valamir
    Show
    You know enough about magic to deduce the Baron is likely using Mage Hand to levitate the unicorn plushie (Prestidigitation would also work, because the toy isn't heavier than 1 pound) and Ventriloquism to make it talk. He's either casting his spells Silently, or else has blended his verbal components seamlessly into his comedy act. A mix of Ghost Sounds and Prestidigitation explains the various audio effects. There are other possibilities, but this is the parsimonious one.

((Remember, we're using invisible and automatic perception and knowledge checks. If there is anything dangerous or curious about a scene, or if you have pertinent knowledge, you'll get that information if and when you pass your checks. DO prompt me for additional information if, like here, you want to know something specific that I may have overlooked or just glossed over -- like knowing exactly how the act is done.))

"Boo!"
    "Get a real job!"
    "You suck!"

The three Varisian men in orange wandered over during the performance, apparently, solely to heckle the Baron.

Undeterred, the Baron continues to plead for his soul while Fluffy turns menacingly towards the thugs. "Hey, I don't come down to where you work and slap the **** out of your mouth!"

Aside, "Language, Fluffy, this is a family show!"

"This doesn't concern you, Stan! Why don't you juggle or something while I deal with these pricks?"

While the three men fume, they're too taken aback by the verbal assault from a puppet to say or do anything.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi felt the impulse to get away from the press of the crowd. Looking above the rooftops near the docks, he could see the city rising up onto a large plateau from which the shattered Irespan protruded. He began to make his way in that direction, seeking a higher vantage point from which to gaze upon the city, its neighborhoods, and the Thassilonian monuments and landmarks that gave the City of Monuments its name.

Show

Zuberi is heading for the upper districts of Magnimar. Let me know if this requires any sort of skill check to prevent getting lost, etc.

25. - Top - End - #25

Irčne turned to the men, frowning for a moment beneath her hood before a sly smile came to her face, and she drew back her hood.

Watch and learn, Fluffy.

"Now, now, gentlemen, there's no need for such harsh words, especially when Fluffy and the Baron are busy spreading joy and the good word to all. Surely you wouldn't ruin such a good day for everyone, would you?"

Turning on her doe-eyed charm,
    Irčne then proceeded to look at the men sadly, looking for all the world like a sad baby doe.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    And cue fumbling the diplomacy roll in three, two...

Diplomacy: (1d20+15)[22]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

"Sooo...he's some sort of magician - perhaps a bard of sorts," Valamir mutters to nobody in particular (Irčne if she's close enough to hear). "Could be useful in the future. I think I want to have a chat with The Baron once the show is over."

As the three Varisians heckle the performer and Irčne responds, Valamir steps up beside her and puts on a look of concern for the lady. "Now look, you've made the young lady sad when all she wanted to do was listen to the words of this man. You should be ashamed of yourselves and apologize both to her, and to The Baron here."

Show
    Can I Aid Another for Diplomacy? (1d20+14)[19]
    Forgot about the invisible checks, but at least I now know how to prompt for specific ones.
    Also, Valamir is going to hang around until after the event is over, at which point he wants to have a quiet word with The Baron.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Shimura made his way off the ship following the others and began chatting up the locals to find out where he might be able to purchase property. The Market Princess Sabriyya sounded like she was running a shakedown, but he could give her the benefit of the doubt. He kept an eye open for anything that might make a suitable gift while making his way to the Charterhouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

The thugs sneer and puff out their chests. The tall one's eyes dart between Irene and Valamir. You could see the greasy little gears in his head turning as he sized up the two strangers and ultimately decided that possibility of getting his ass kicked really wasn't worth the few chuckles they'd get out of further taunting the street performer.

Mustering up a last bit of courage, the tall one takes one step towards Irene, though he makes sure he's just out of reach. "You like the shrimp, gadji? You could do better. I don't think he even likes girls. Feh. Come on boys, we've got work to do, unlike some people."

The trio backs away, then wanders off in the direction of the bazaar.

"Work he says. Those ****s ain't gonna suck themselves, right?"

The small crowd erupts in laughter at the foul unicorn. The thugs grumble to themselves, visibly tense, but don't turn back.

"Well, that was tense. Fluffy, I think we should sing a song to cool things down. Sa'right?"
    "Sa'right!"

The rest of the performance consists of an off-key and gruff love song about a lady named Caroline, a bit of juggling, more raunchy unicorn antics, and finally a genuinely impressive display of dexterity as the Baron skewers an apple off a nervous volunteer's head with a throwing knife. After he's taken his bow, Fluffy makes her way around the audience with a cloth bag tied around her neck to collect tips.

Meanwhile, Baron hops down from his crate and slides between Irene and Valamir. "Hey, that was nice of you to stand up to the Sczarni and all, but I wouldn't go making enemies on your first day off the boat. Those guys can hold a grudge. They've only got enough brain power to hold one thought at a time -- and that's probably 'beat up the funny looking foreign people'."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-07-15 at 10:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

"You needn't worry about me, friend," Valamir replies with a gesture toward the elven curve blade at his back. "I have a few tricks up my sleeve as well. Besides, a follower of Desna is never alone, eh?" he says, with a look to Irčne. "Though I would like to know more about these Sczarni, as you call them."

The charcoal-skinned man points to the performer's trappings. "Do you do this often? I'm going to be in the market for entertainment for an establishment I intend to start soon. Is that something you and Fluffy would be interested in?"

Show
    Diplomacy, Go! (1d20+14)[18]

Every time I see Irčne's name, I think of this song.

30. - Top - End - #30

"Hey, that was nice of you to stand up to the Sczarni and all, but I wouldn't go making enemies on your first day off the boat. Those guys can hold a grudge. They've only got enough brain power to hold one thought at a time -- and that's probably 'beat up the funny looking foreign people'."
    "You needn't worry about me, friend, I have a few tricks up my sleeve as well. Besides, a follower of Desna is never alone, eh?.. Though I would like to know more about these Sczarni, as you call them."
    Irčne nodded, and performed a few gestures with her right hand, sending cool bluish star-studded magical energy around them. "They are indeed never alone. The Great Dreamer's children stick together. And I, as well, have a few techniques of my own that have served me quite well in the past - though I would also gladly know anything you could tell me and Valamir."

After the Baron finished relating what he knew,
    Irčne then bid him goodbye, then proceeded on her way to the Keystone district - east through the Bazaar, then all the way around hawk street to the water gardens, before looking for the enormous tower Thalin had described.