New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Get Fit: I want a folding vegetable.

Well I got the suit, but it was actually too tight, which is sad. A DL suit is supposed to be tight, but if you can't get it on with another guy literally lifting you by it, then it's probably not going to happen. So today was a pulling without a suit day. It was actually awesome because pretty much everything went wrong. My wife was in the ER till 4 AM, then I had my pulling scheduled for 7 AM. It was snowing outside. I forgot to grab my ammonia capsules so I had to run back and grab them, then it turned out that I forgot my shorts as well, so I had to deadlift in jeans. Which was not as bad as other lifts in jeans might have been. So basically everything went wrong, which is good prep for competitions because everything will go wrong.

But I pulled over 500 for the first time since I was injured and broke my arm, and that counts for something. and it was a good day overall. Also my power gut is starting to get really huge, I looked like lifting santa a little, which is an occupational hazard for strongmen, but one that's a little sad for me.

Anyways without further ado

Here is my 2nd heaviest pull, it's actually a failed attempt I messed up on my strap on my left arm and it slipped during the rep so it dropped but it was a pretty solid attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNx0...ature=youtu.be

Here is my heaviest pull made after the previous failure. It's over 500 although not as much over as I would like, but after breaking my arm it's about the best I think I could get. It felt really good though a lot of ass in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlBY...ature=youtu.be

And after that my trainer made me do a triple at like 450 because he is a sadist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNy...ature=youtu.be

So not quite where I want to be, but definitely getting there! I'm not sure I'll be able to get over 700 now that I've re-calibrated to where I'm actually at post injury, but we'll see, stranger things have indeed happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    GUYS I DID IT!!

I FREAKING DID IT!!

I'M BELOW 250!!
    AWESOME MAN! I wouldn't worry too much about strength gain. And the pooping thing is pretty normal, a lot of times on a cut it's easy to forget to do things that will keep that regular, you should be chugging water, that will help a lot. And leafy greens as miserable as that is.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Well I got the suit, but it was actually too tight, which is sad. A DL suit is supposed to be tight, but if you can't get it on with another guy literally lifting you by it, then it's probably not going to happen. So today was a pulling without a suit day. It was actually awesome because pretty much everything went wrong. My wife was in the ER till 4 AM, then I had my pulling scheduled for 7 AM. It was snowing outside. I forgot to grab my ammonia capsules so I had to run back and grab them, then it turned out that I forgot my shorts as well, so I had to deadlift in jeans. Which was not as bad as other lifts in jeans might have been. So basically everything went wrong, which is good prep for competitions because everything will go wrong.

But I pulled over 500 for the first time since I was injured and broke my arm, and that counts for something. and it was a good day overall. Also my power gut is starting to get really huge, I looked like lifting santa a little, which is an occupational hazard for strongmen, but one that's a little sad for me.

Anyways without further ado

Here is my 2nd heaviest pull, it's actually a failed attempt I messed up on my strap on my left arm and it slipped during the rep so it dropped but it was a pretty solid attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNx0...ature=youtu.be

Here is my heaviest pull made after the previous failure. It's over 500 although not as much over as I would like, but after breaking my arm it's about the best I think I could get. It felt really good though a lot of ass in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlBY...ature=youtu.be

And after that my trainer made me do a triple at like 450 because he is a sadist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNy...ature=youtu.be

So not quite where I want to be, but definitely getting there! I'm not sure I'll be able to get over 700 now that I've re-calibrated to where I'm actually at post injury, but we'll see, stranger things have indeed happened.
    Impressive work! You look like you could wrestle a bear!

Did you feel the continous deadlift program helped a great deal? Will you be doing it again after a cool down?

Edit: Unrelated, but I metish my monthly goal. Weighed in at 331 yesterday morning, 9lbs less then february. I haven't been able to go to the gym for weeks due to back strain (remember all my leg problems? Actually they were back problems from going on 15 mile hikes).
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-03-11 at 12:11 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Impressive work! You look like you could wrestle a bear!
    Thanks man!

Did you feel the continous deadlift program helped a great deal? Will you be doing it again after a cool down?
    I feel like it was helpful, but I don't think it was helpful enough to make up for the amount of interference with other things. It was a fun thing to do when I had lots of time and didn't really have event specific training to be working towards. But I think I'd have gotten nearly the same recovery with fewer deadlifting days. If anything, I'll probably do one main deadlift day and one day with lighter work or variations or speed work.

Edit: Unrelated, but I metish my monthly goal. Weighed in at 331 yesterday morning, 9lbs less then february. I haven't been able to go to the gym for weeks due to back strain (remember all my leg problems? Actually they were back problems from going on 15 mile hikes).
    Awesome! Yeah it's rough on your back to have to walk that much if you're heavier, I'd recommend maybe doing some other less intense stuff for some of it if you can.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn, guys, awesome progress all around! AMFV, I second the bear thing and I kinda want you in front with the Paladin at my next dungeon crawl

Here on the candy-free side of things, I noticed something interesting. I cracked last Friday because I was flu sick and exhausted and I pulled out a box of chocolates... and ate four pieces before I genuinely didn't want any more. I also haven't really gorged on anything else. Just two months back, I'd regularly eat an entire pizza and then candy afterwards. Now even the pizza is too much. I'm also spending much less money on groceries. Candy is expensive, y'all.

I have no idea how the weight loss is coming along, if at all. I seem to have lost all memory of how my pants fit back in January, except for things that are still true (like "these are the tightest ones"), and the mirror is not reliable. That's kinda frustrating and makes me feel stuck. I'm debating with myself about whether to buy scales, but it's still kinda emotionally complicated.

But still, the appetite regulation is such a huge win that the weight stuff is almost inconsequential.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm debating with myself about whether to buy scales, but it's still kinda emotionally complicated.
    If you do buy it, I highly suggest using some sort of mathematical thingy to compute your moving average each day, instead of simple weight (it just takes a few seconds, honest!).
    It really helped me on the emotional side of things, since I can completely ignore the wild swings weight tends to have on its own, and keep my eyes on the fact that I'm actually, gradually, slowly improving. (It's a simple method I read in a book called Hacker's Diet, I can give more info if anybody's interested).
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2018-03-13 at 10:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    If you do buy it, I highly suggest using some sort of mathematical thingy to compute your moving average each day, instead of simple weight (it just takes a few seconds, honest!).
    It really helped me on the emotional side of things, since I can completely ignore the wild swings weight tends to have on its own, and keep my eyes on the fact that I'm actually, gradually, slowly improving. (It's a simple method I read in a book called Hacker's Diet, I can give more info if anybody's interested).
    I second this! I do something similar with excel on my own to help with the swingyness of weight in general based on water retention and other random things. This would also help because (I'm assuming) you're biologically a girl right? Your cycle can drastically effect weight. Some women see weight change of up to 10lbs or more just based on their cycle. So a moving average helps you not feel like **** when hormones make you retain more water and gain weight during ovulation (I think it's ovulation. Like 90% sure. It's the week before shark week anyway).

That's my 2 cents glassmouse.
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

The moving average is a really good idea! And if I'm already tracking weight in an excel ark, I could investigate other metrics, like sleeping, to see how highly correlated they are. I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but it would be really cool to discover the patterns in my migraines and insomnia and stuff like that. Data-driven health!

I figured there had to be an existing, user-friendly app for that, but I can't find one. They all want to create diet plans for me, which is just nopenopenopenope.

****. I need to make an app now.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    The moving average is a really good idea! And if I'm already tracking weight in an excel ark, I could investigate other metrics, like sleeping, to see how highly correlated they are. I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but it would be really cool to discover the patterns in my migraines and insomnia and stuff like that. Data-driven health!

I figured there had to be an existing, user-friendly app for that, but I can't find one. They all want to create diet plans for me, which is just nopenopenopenope.

****. I need to make an app now.
    That actually sounds like fun. I would definitely do it if I knew how to make a GUI.

Sadly my coding expertise is limited to C++ and various numerical and graphical analysis software.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

9. - Top - End - #279

The method I use is pretty easy, even without apps or calculators: you take yesterday's moving average and today's weight, compute the difference, divide it by 10 and add/subtract the result to yesterday's average.

Example: yesterday's average was 78.32, and today's weight is 77.7. The difference is 0.62, which divided by ten is 0.06. So, today's average is 78.32 - 0.06 = 78.26. (I'm using the metric system because there's no such thing as another system).

10. - Top - End - #280
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Here on the candy-free side of things, I noticed something interesting. I cracked last Friday because I was flu sick and exhausted and I pulled out a box of chocolates... and ate four pieces before I genuinely didn't want any more. I also haven't really gorged on anything else. Just two months back, I'd regularly eat an entire pizza and then candy afterwards. Now even the pizza is too much. I'm also spending much less money on groceries. Candy is expensive, y'all.

I have no idea how the weight loss is coming along, if at all. I seem to have lost all memory of how my pants fit back in January, except for things that are still true (like "these are the tightest ones"), and the mirror is not reliable. That's kinda frustrating and makes me feel stuck. I'm debating with myself about whether to buy scales, but it's still kinda emotionally complicated.

But still, the appetite regulation is such a huge win that the weight stuff is almost inconsequential.
    Kinda similar experience for me. I donated some blood yesterday and had some coke and sweet bread on that occasion. It was kinda meh. No urge to have more and left a bit of a funny taste in my mouth. I do however fantasize about cream cake on a regluar basis.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

Well I went in for my monthly InBody today.

I was frankly extremely relieved. I'd been stuck on 250lbs all month and was getting quite frustrated. It seems I've lost 9lbs of fat, gained 4lbs of muscles, and hydrated myself the other 4lbs.

So I'm down 29.1% BF. Yay me!

I'm stalling on Squat pretty hard now. I was wondering when that would happen considering I'm on a cut. It's not as high as I want it. I can keep trying to push through it, but the simple thing is that I'm not fueling my body for muscle growth right now and I was going to run out of easy gainz regardless.

Deadlift is still climbing pretty quick though, which I am extremely grateful for. I got to put 2 45lb plates on each side plus the bar yesterday. That felt so good!

Bench is slowing down, but hasn't stalled yet.

My left elbow seems irritated all the time now. Not like pain, but like there's an inflammation or something. I take ibuprofen if it gets too bad. I've also been reviewing my lifting form and tweaking as needed. Seems I was flaring my elbows a bit on bench and incline. So I've correct that, and I'll need to give it a couple months to see if the pain goes away. Need to stop sleeping on my arms as well, but I have to wait until the larger mattress comes in.

Keto has been going well too. I'm not as tired as I would have expected. I haven't been really cramping or anything either so no "keto flu" to speak of. The research I've done as to how people on keto build muscle boils down to they cheat on the weekend to replenish the glycogen stored in their muscles. Then cut back during the week and lift super heavy and super hard to make sure they burn all of it off. Seems simple enough, but I won't be there for at least 3 more months.

But I'm at the halfway point, and I think I might actually be ready to start bulking in July or August assuming everything keeps going well.

I hope you guys are doing well in your endeavors too!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I was frankly extremely relieved. I'd been stuck on 250lbs all month and was getting quite frustrated. It seems I've lost 9lbs of fat, gained 4lbs of muscles, and hydrated myself the other 4lbs.

I'm stalling on Squat pretty hard now. I was wondering when that would happen considering I'm on a cut. It's not as high as I want it. I can keep trying to push through it, but the simple thing is that I'm not fueling my body for muscle growth right now and I was going to run out of easy gainz regardless.

Deadlift is still climbing pretty quick though, which I am extremely grateful for. I got to put 2 45lb plates on each side plus the bar yesterday. That felt so good!

My left elbow seems irritated all the time now. Not like pain, but like there's an inflammation or something. I take ibuprofen if it gets too bad. I've also been reviewing my lifting form and tweaking as needed. Seems I was flaring my elbows a bit on bench and incline. So I've correct that, and I'll need to give it a couple months to see if the pain goes away. Need to stop sleeping on my arms as well, but I have to wait until the larger mattress comes in.

Keto has been going well too. I'm not as tired as I would have expected. I haven't been really cramping or anything either so no "keto flu" to speak of. The research I've done as to how people on keto build muscle boils down to they cheat on the weekend to replenish the glycogen stored in their muscles. Then cut back during the week and lift super heavy and super hard to make sure they burn all of it off. Seems simple enough, but I won't be there for at least 3 more months.

But I'm at the halfway point, and I think I might actually be ready to start bulking in July or August assuming everything keeps going well.

I hope you guys are doing well in your endeavors too!
    Congrats man!

That seems a really odd way to do Keto, it takes several days for your body to enter ketosis. So you end up in ketosis like half the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

Congrats man!

That seems a really odd way to do Keto, it takes several days for your body to enter ketosis. So you end up in ketosis like half the week.
    The math says if you do Keto hard enough (sub 20 carbs) it only takes 24 hours to enter ketosis. Or start mass producing ketones anyway.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

People can easily enter ketosis in 24 hours. A typical human body only has about a 500g (1 pound) carb reserve, in the form of liver and muscle glycogen. Anyone doing the 5:2 diet will have the classic smell of ketones on their breath at the end of a fast day, for instance.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Things have been going pretty well for me. I feel like my strength is progressing exactly the way I've wanted it to. I've started working a lot on conditioning, since I don't want to gas out on comp day, and because there's at least a few events that are cardio based (or what strongmen call cardio, which is like 2 minutes of activity). But I definitely don't want to gas out on that.

As far as training goes, I've been doing some work with deficit deadlifts, which are awful, but an amazing training technique. Although they're a lower weight exercise so not super great for your ego, which is alright. I managed to get a couple singles at around a 2" deficit within 100 lbs of my current PR, which is really really good for deficits. Without any straps or anything as well. Well actually it was 60 lbs off my PR which is not bad for deficits. Since you normally lose a lot of weight that way. Maybe I'm just getting that much stronger.

Also started doing high repetition squats to condition myself and to prepare for the squat event at my next competition, since that sucker is for reps. With any luck I'll get a shorter ROM for me, since I think it's a fixed height, it's a hummer tire squat rather than a standard squat. So probably depending on the platform it won't be all the way down to parallel, I haven't started with leg wraps yet, but that's probably going to be the next few weeks or so.

I'm also considering doing more pullups, maybe I'll see if I can get back to 20 dead hang pullups, it would be pretty awesome to be able to do that at nearly 80 lbs more than my average weight when I was able to do that in the Marines. So I might start doing some pullup pyramids, since that'll strengthen my back, which is pretty crucial for everything strongman, as well as my grip, which is even more crucial.

AWESOME!

Yeah, you'll probably see the first stalling on the squat, since that's basically the lift that you have to eat the most for, in my own personal experience. The squat is also the one that hurts the most when you're cutting. For me at least I did a lot more squat variants when I was cutting, and a lot more leg press and controlled path of motion exercises, since I wasn't gaining so much squat strength, I didn't watn to overdo it.

I would estimate that your DL will probably be able to climb for a good while, since you're at just under your body weight, you probably could gain another 90 lbs of pull just from CNS and form improvements. I would wager anyways. Like I would bet that if you worked on your CNS and form you could get to 315, without any change in muscle mass. Just because that's something that should be possible.

You could try getting some arm sleeves, I mean as long as you aren't using those all the time, just when the weight gets heavy (like 80-90% of 1RM) then you'll probably have less problems. Normally flaring your elbows isn't really that bad, but wraps or sleeves will fix a lot of that, since they'll hold everything tighter. You could also try doing different variations like Dumbbell bench, which would allow a little more focus on muscular control than the bar would.

Nice, bulking is way funner, depending on how fast you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    People can easily enter ketosis in 24 hours. A typical human body only has about a 500g (1 pound) carb reserve, in the form of liver and muscle glycogen. Anyone doing the 5:2 diet will have the classic smell of ketones on their breath at the end of a fast day, for instance.
    A lot depends on your muscle mass though and what your diet was like the day before. Somebody who is very heavy is likely to have more than average glycogen reserves and therefore may take a longer period of time to enter ketosis.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Things have been going pretty well for me. I feel like my strength is progressing exactly the way I've wanted it to. I've started working a lot on conditioning, since I don't want to gas out on comp day, and because there's at least a few events that are cardio based (or what strongmen call cardio, which is like 2 minutes of activity). But I definitely don't want to gas out on that.

As far as training goes, I've been doing some work with deficit deadlifts, which are awful, but an amazing training technique. Although they're a lower weight exercise so not super great for your ego, which is alright. I managed to get a couple singles at around a 2" deficit within 100 lbs of my current PR, which is really really good for deficits. Without any straps or anything as well. Well actually it was 60 lbs off my PR which is not bad for deficits. Since you normally lose a lot of weight that way. Maybe I'm just getting that much stronger.

Also started doing high repetition squats to condition myself and to prepare for the squat event at my next competition, since that sucker is for reps. With any luck I'll get a shorter ROM for me, since I think it's a fixed height, it's a hummer tire squat rather than a standard squat. So probably depending on the platform it won't be all the way down to parallel, I haven't started with leg wraps yet, but that's probably going to be the next few weeks or so.

I'm also considering doing more pullups, maybe I'll see if I can get back to 20 dead hang pullups, it would be pretty awesome to be able to do that at nearly 80 lbs more than my average weight when I was able to do that in the Marines. So I might start doing some pullup pyramids, since that'll strengthen my back, which is pretty crucial for everything strongman, as well as my grip, which is even more crucial.
    That's awesome dude! I'm just trying to get to the point where I can do pullups! If you can do 20 dead hang as a strongman I would be blown away!.

I would estimate that your DL will probably be able to climb for a good while, since you're at just under your body weight, you probably could gain another 90 lbs of pull just from CNS and form improvements. I would wager anyways. Like I would bet that if you worked on your CNS and form you could get to 315, without any change in muscle mass. Just because that's something that should be possible.
    CNS == Central Nervous System?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

\
    CNS == Central Nervous System?
    Yep, basically there's a few ways you can improve your ability to lift weights:

A.) Building more muscle fibers, this involves getting bigger and stronger. So basically for this to happen you have to be at a caloric surplus, or at least have enough stored fat to build some muscle mass. Generally you just put your muscles under tension for enough time or do enough volume of work that the muscles tear and your body remakes them bigger. This is pretty much the core of bodybuilding, that's why they do gobs and gobs of volume (unless you're Dorian or Mentzer but that's a different story, they also executed slower reps to keep tension on the muscle). This is also somewhat the easiest one, if you're damaging the muscles and getting a caloric surplus you will get bigger muscles.

Of course, since a lot of people who are doing competitive lifting are in weight classes this isn't always desirable. It also takes a lot of dietary effort and puts a lot more strain on you in terms of time spent in the gym and what-not. (Unless you're Dorian or Mentzer, but again they did some really unusual stuff). Although this has a lower risk of injury than CNS improving stuff does.

B.) Improving your form. Basically this translates to doing less work to get the movement done. Unfortunately once you have a fairly good grip on form, the things you can do to mitigate the amount of work you'll be doing will be fairly sparse.

C.) Improving your CNS system, basically this helps your nervous system recruit a greater percentage of your existing muscle fibers more rapidly. It's also some of the most miserable kind of training, since CNS fatigue is absolutely awful. Generally this sort of training is the focus for Oly weightlifters, and powerlifters in fairly small (light) weight classes. Usually the best way to train this system is by doing really heavy singles or all kinds of exotic things (like band work, or trying to pull a weight that's heavier than you can). Like for deadlifts for example, I would do a negative at about 10-15% heavier than I could possibly lift, or even heavier whatever I could lower to the floor safely. Then I'd try to do a pull at the bottom of the rep once it came to a full rest. Basically a deliberate failure that involved recruiting all the muscles so that they're firing and not able to move the weight.

This kind of training is typically higher intensity and can be more likely to cause injuries because you're spending so much time at the top end of your capacity.

Generally you can't do the first on a caloric deficit, but you can do the other two, at least a little bit.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, has anyone here done so much ab work, that his hair turned pink?

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My hair hasn't turned pink, alas. Seems like quite the accomplishment.

@keto times. Even if you could enter ketosis that quickly the first three days of entry are when it is most draining and cause the worst headaches, I would hate to repeat that on a weekly basis.

So I have now lost 100 pounds. I'm still bad at taking selfies, one of those make me look like a murderer.

Spoiler: More me pictures.
    Show

Spoiler: Starting me last June
    Show

My back is still mad at me, darn snow hikes. I have gotten better at the regular stretches, I can relieve the pain in my left leg now but I miss doing back and ab work. Even rows make me hurt for days.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-04-06 at 01:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Show

Show
    Are you sure those pictures are of the same person?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Are you sure those pictures are of the same person?
    You got me, I just used a fun house mirror.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Banned

Part of me wants to actually dye my hair pink, for no other reason than an in-joke on one forum thread. This is what my life has become.

Not taking exact measurements, but my appearance has improved almost-imperceptably - the bones are just a little less obvious. Meh; it's something.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Part of me wants to actually dye my hair pink, for no other reason than an in-joke on one forum thread. This is what my life has become.

Not taking exact measurements, but my appearance has improved almost-imperceptably - the bones are just a little less obvious. Meh; it's something.
    That actually sounds fun. I'm from Portland, no one would notice...

It might seem imperceptible to you, but you see yourself every day. It's going to be more noticeable for people who haven't seen you in a while.

24. - Top - End - #294

So, has anyone here done so much ab work, that his hair turned pink?
    Well, it's better than what happened to that one Saitama guy...

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So my back is nearly back to normal, I'm wondering if I can go back to doing situps soon? How likely are they to delay recovery?

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

So my back is nearly back to normal, I'm wondering if I can go back to doing situps soon? How likely are they to delay recovery?
    Well to be fair, situps are a really bad exercise in a lot of ways. Like I would never do that unless you were training for a military PFT or a test involving them. There a lot better abdominal exercises than situps you could do. At least that would be my personal recommendation.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well to be fair, situps are a really bad exercise in a lot of ways. Like I would never do that unless you were training for a military PFT or a test involving them. There a lot better abdominal exercises than situps you could do. At least that would be my personal recommendation.
    I actually do reaches, I was more using the term to mean ab exercises in general.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually do reaches, I was more using the term to mean ab exercises in general.
    Well a back injury shouldn't trouble a lot of ab exercises. For ab stuff it's really important to remember that your abs are mostly used to stabilize things so training them like a muscle that's a primary moving muscle is not your best bet generally. I mean a lot depends on what your abdominal training goals are. I know a lot of people who don't train abs at all, especially if you're doing big compounds. Well I mean they don't isolate them, I think isolating abs is generally a pretty difficult thing.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well a back injury shouldn't trouble a lot of ab exercises. For ab stuff it's really important to remember that your abs are mostly used to stabilize things so training them like a muscle that's a primary moving muscle is not your best bet generally. I mean a lot depends on what your abdominal training goals are. I know a lot of people who don't train abs at all, especially if you're doing big compounds. Well I mean they don't isolate them, I think isolating abs is generally a pretty difficult thing.
    I mostly just enjoy doing them. Before I pulles my back I was doing 70 4/week. I don't know why but I don't feel like I get as good of a workout high if I don't end with a bunch of ab stuff.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I have now lost 100 pounds. I'm still bad at taking selfies, one of those make me look like a murderer.

Show

Show

My back is still mad at me, darn snow hikes. I have gotten better at the regular stretches, I can relieve the pain in my left leg now but I miss doing back and ab work. Even rows make me hurt for days.
    Wow, really impressive! Keep up the good work!

I have unfortunately been slacking off the last weeks. Did not find the time for longer runs, did not keep up with the daily push-ups. (Managed however a PR of 40 reps.)
    On the plus side, I went bouldering once more with my sister and found out that the bar above the door to the changing rooms at work is sturdy enough to do pull-ups on it. So I do that sometimes, PRs are 7 for chin-ups und 3 for pull-ups.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight