New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up a Campaign Setting (3E/4E)

30%, to allow for more gnolls and such, at least roaming around.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

I'll vote for 50%. [rhetoric] Come on, people, 50% is the only percentage higher than 30% that has a chance of a comeback! Don't waste your votes on 60%, 70%, or 80%--it is only with YOUR help that we can make it 50% so the exotic races will still be exotic! If the exotic races are given free reign, then they will become common--just look at the warforged! They were supposed to be cool weird robot things, but now they're boring old every-party-must-have-one robot things. I don't want half-djinns and genasi to be like that! [/rhetoric]

And I totally agree that how many people wanted a race to be included does NOT tally with how popular it should be. Lizardfolk and gnolls should totally be the most populous, with half-djinn and genasi way down near the bottom.
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2008-11-14 at 06:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    I'll vote for 50%. [rhetoric] Come on, people, 50% is the only percentage higher than 30% that has a chance of a comeback! Don't waste your votes on 60%, 70%, or 80%--it is only with YOUR help that we can make it 50% so the exotic races will still be exotic! If the exotic races are given free reign, then they will become common--just look at the warforged! They were supposed to be cool weird robot things, but now they're boring old every-party-must-have-one robot things. I don't want half-djinns and genasi to be like that! [/rhetoric]

And I totally agree that how many people wanted a race to be included does NOT tally with how popular it should be. Lizardfolk and gnolls should totally be the most populous, with half-djinn and genasi way down near the bottom.

HEY! I want gnoll tribes! what's more awesome then the Lizardfolk EMpire?
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

But this makes Humans the exotic race.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

5. - Top - End - #395
    Firbolg in the Playground

I agree. I will change my vote if the relative proportions of nonhuman races are changed.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

*sigh* Why do I smell mutiny...

We're conferencing over what to do on this issue. It would appear that there is an inverse corrolation between the prior support of each race and the demographic breakdown that you seem to prefer.

I'm not guaranteeing any movement on our parts; I will, however, ask this: would you prefer if we inverted the demographic dispersal for non-human races?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    *sigh* Why do I smell mutiny...

We're conferencing over what to do on this issue. It would appear that there is an inverse corrolation between the prior support of each race and the demographic breakdown that you seem to prefer.

I'm not guaranteeing any movement on our parts; I will, however, ask this: would you prefer if we inverted the demographic dispersal for non-human races?
    Sounds good to me, except that Lizardfolk would have to be shifted in the order. As it stands, the only thing rarer than them with that fix would be Half-Djinn...
    Amazing Abjuration Avatar made by Serpentine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramarie IRC
    <Fako> Most of my contributions to the system have been in the form of taking a baseball bat to other homebrewer's works.
    <~sirpercival> haha
    <Fako> You laugh because it's true :P
    <~sirpercival> yes. yes i do.
    Skinshred Swarm (CR 9) / Reaper Wolf (CR 5) / Demonecris (CR 18)
    Indomitable (Melee PrC [5 Lvl])

8. - Top - End - #398
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think the issue is more a general opinion that "Half-" races, by their nature, should be rare.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    HEY! I want gnoll tribes! what's more awesome then the Lizardfolk Empire?
    I agree that gnoll tribes and the Lizardfolk Empire would be very cool, and should totally be included. However, I (and others with me) feel that they would be cool if they still felt exotic--meaning that they weren't the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by kopout View Post
    But this makes Humans the exotic race.
    Um...not really. 50% human is not very exotic. What it would do is strike a good balance between humans being dominant and other races being present, so that they are common enough to figure in adventures but not common enough to be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Fako View Post
    Sounds good to me, except that Lizardfolk would have to be shifted in the order. As it stands, the only thing rarer than them with that fix would be Half-Djinn...
    Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    I think the issue is more a general opinion that "Half-" races, by their nature, should be rare.
    My suggestion is that Lizardfolk and Gnolls be the most populous non-human races, followed by Genasi, followed by Half-Djinns and Half-Ghuls. Is this cool with everyone? (Note that I'm not giving a preference to Lizardfolk over Gnolls or to Half-Djinns over Half-Ghuls; it could be Liz/Gnl/Gen/H-Dj/H-Gh or Gnl/Liz/Gen/H-Gh/H-Dj; I'm sure you understand.)
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

It could be a vote like for Thematic Priorities, where you vote for the order of commonness wanted. Anyways, I agree that lizardfolk/gnolls should be most common non-humans, but feel that half-djinn and half-ghuls should be more common than genasi, even if only slightly (for example, if 50% humans one, I'd prefer a ration of about 15% gnoll, 15% lizardfolk, 7% half-ghul, 7% half-djinn, and 6% genasi. That is however just my opinion and a vague approximation, not precise values).

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

My major problem with doing this is that changing the racial parities in the next vote may change how people wished to respond to this vote, effectively forcing a do-over.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Barbarian in the Playground

40%, though the "% proportional to vote" thing seems ridiculously silly.

Half-Djinn and half-ghuls are more common than humans in the 30% vote? Uh... how does that work exactly?
    Age of Avarice - A homebrew SF setting featuring neo-colonialist humans and primitive aliens (offsite hosting)

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    It could be a vote like for Thematic Priorities, where you vote for the order of commonness wanted. Anyways, I agree that lizardfolk/gnolls should be most common non-humans, but feel that half-djinn and half-ghuls should be more common than genasi, even if only slightly.
    Alright, I'll pare it down to the simplest possible:

Humans <are more common than>
    Lizardfolk and Gnolls <are more common than>
    Genasi, Half-Djinn, and Half-Ghuls

Does this work for everybody?

I agree with Afroakuma that this shouldn't be a vote, because that would mess it up, and I think that just hitting on (not that kind!) a prioritization of races that most or all are fine with is the best way to deal with this.

That said, vote 50%!

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

That said, vote 50%!
    Rule 3. Please do not break it.

Zeta, Shadow and I will discuss what to do about this issue. When we originally implemented it, we didn't expect that so many part-human races would make the cut, nor in such proportions. However, we can do the setting either way. I don't cite a preference for either or, and we may well decide to retain the status quo. Just so you're all aware.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Orc in the Playground

Zeta, Shadow and I will discuss what to do about this issue. When we originally implemented it, we didn't expect that so many part-human races would make the cut, nor in such proportions. However, we can do the setting either way. I don't cite a preference for either or, and we may well decide to retain the status quo. Just so you're all aware.
    It's fair, but it's not like we have a choice anyways After all, you three are the masterminds, we only have our say where it is allowed... it might be interesting to see an area populated by more half-breeds than other races...
    Amazing Abjuration Avatar made by Serpentine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramarie IRC
    <Fako> Most of my contributions to the system have been in the form of taking a baseball bat to other homebrewer's works.
    <~sirpercival> haha
    <Fako> You laugh because it's true :P
    <~sirpercival> yes. yes i do.
    Skinshred Swarm (CR 9) / Reaper Wolf (CR 5) / Demonecris (CR 18)
    Indomitable (Melee PrC [5 Lvl])

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with most of the people in this thread: populace should not reflect the previous vote. We voted for things like Half-Djinn, Half-Ghul and Genasi because they were cool and unused and we wanted to see them make the cut. That vote was a "if they make it then they will be playable" vote. People voted so much for (as an example) half-djinn because they thought they were cool and fit the setting's theme. However, some of these races were cool precisely because they should be rare? How many djinn (again, as an example) do you genuinely think would choose to have children with humans? Probably not many, and not nearly as many as there should be Gnolls and Lizardfolk, since these are their own respective species with (I hope) their own respective cultures.

I don't mean to offend here, and I realize you guys probably just wanted to cut down on your considerable workload by deciding population in such a manner (which is something I can understand), but to be honest it strikes me as something dishonest (again, I don't think it was your intention to be). We voted based on who we wanted included. If this vote was also supposed to reflect relative population, we should have been told - we should have known everything we were voting for when we were asked to pick the races.

As far as my actual vote goes, I'm going to withhold it until this business gets settled.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2008-11-14 at 11:04 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn View Post
    I agree with most of the people in this thread: populace should not reflect the previous vote. We voted for things like Half-Djinn, Half-Ghul and Genasi because they were cool and unused and we wanted to see them make the cut. That vote was a "if they make it then they will be playable" vote. People voted so much for (as an example) half-djinn because they thought they were cool and fit the setting's theme. However, some of these races were cool precisely because they should be rare? How many djinn (again, as an example) do you genuinely think would choose to have children with humans? Probably not many, and not nearly as many as there should be Gnolls and Lizardfolk, since these are their own respective species with (I hope) their own respective cultures.

I don't mean to offend here, and I realize you guys probably just wanted to cut down on your considerable workload by deciding population in such a manner (which is something I can understand), but to be honest it strikes me as something dishonest (again, I don't think it was your intention to be). We voted based on who we wanted included. If this vote was also supposed to reflect relative population, we should have been told - we should have known everything we were voting for when we were asked to pick the races.
    We originally believed that the humanoid races would garnr much of the voting, with one or two of the new ones and not nearly as much support for genasi, tieflings and aasimar (certainly not all three.) The expectation was that elves, dwarves, orcs etc. wouldn't be such a big deal to toss around percentagewise.

Unfortunately, this decision came about rather late in the process. There was nothing dishonest about it - had we known at the time, we would have so informed you. By the time the votes had reached sky-high proportions, we were still expecting this method to work and gearing up the next two days' voting tables.

We are currently deliberating how to have the races fall.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    3. Please do not criticize or disparage the votes of other forum members. Let the votes fall where they may. It’s a campaign setting, & as such, there will be room enough for everyone’s opinions. So just be patient, & allow other voters to voice their own opinions.
    Rule 3. Please do not break it.
    If I broke this rule, I'm sorry, but I don't think I did. All I did was promote my viewpoint; I didn't say anyone else was stupid or wrong for espousing theirs. As for "allow[ing] other voters to voice their own opinions," I would hazard that you're coming closer to stretching that part than I am. But, again, I'm sorry if I was out of line.

(That said, vote--naaah, just messing with you. )

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai
    Let the votes fall where they may.
    Second time I've caught you campaigning for 50%, unless I missed my guess. Once is perhaps forgivable. Twice is the fire-elemental piranhas.

I can understand some advocacy for your own voting position. I'm just asking that you try to keep it to a minimum. The voting's anarchic enough as-is.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

As for the above debate, I skimmed it, got the highlights from Afro, & I stand by whatever he said. BTW, all vote are currently tallied.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

We originally believed that the humanoid races would garnr much of the voting, with one or two of the new ones and not nearly as much support for genasi, tieflings and aasimar (certainly not all three.) The expectation was that elves, dwarves, orcs etc. wouldn't be such a big deal to toss around percentagewise.

Unfortunately, this decision came about rather late in the process. There was nothing dishonest about it - had we known at the time, we would have so informed you. By the time the votes had reached sky-high proportions, we were still expecting this method to work and gearing up the next two days' voting tables.

We are currently deliberating how to have the races fall.
    I figured you guys wouldn't do it deliberately - you guys are very fair in all I've seen. It also probably wouldn't have been a big deal, if so many of the races weren't cross-breeds. For example, having lots of gnolls or lots of lizardmen isn't hard to imagine - one assumes they've had their own lands and culture (however rudimentary) for however long. Cross-breeds are not so easy, especially when the other half is outsider (or undead, if I interpret Ghul correctly). There's a big difference between a half-elf and a half-celestial where how common they are is concerned, and rightly so.

Essentially I agree with Flame of Anor's assessment. Have three tiers. Humans are the most populous, followed by lizardmen and gnolls, followed by the cross-breed races. Lizardmen and Gnoll proportionate populations could be determined by number of votes garnered if you still want to go with that. I'd go with what makes the most sense, but there isn't anything in logic that dictates that gnolls would be more populous than lizardmen or vice versa, from what I can tell.

As far as the cross-breeds go, logically Genasi should be the most populous if I'm interpreting them correctly. They only need trace elemental/efreet/whathaveyou blood. This ancestor could be (and probably is) generations up. It is not too much of a stretch to assume the half-efreet or whoever in the generation following the djinni/elemental ancestor could find a human to have children with, and as the outsider blood becomes less apparent/more diluted over the generations, finding humans to marry wouldn't be difficult.

Now, finding someone half-djinn or half-ghul should logically be more difficult than finding someone with djinn/elemental blood somewhere in their bloodline. As far as which happens more often (half-djinn or half-ghul), that can be decided in any way you see fit without it being a stretch, as I don't see any logical reasoning saying which one should be more populous than the other.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

We have reached a verdict on the racial dispersion. I think it will satisfy a majory of you. The determination will be posted in due course.

There will be no vote on the racial dispersion, apart from the human component which is being voted on now.

23. - Top - End - #413

Griffon

I am going to vote for 40%. It probably won't win, but after looking at the table I've decided that I don't have a prefferance between 30% and 50% which are likely to win and 40% would still be ideal for me.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

...I honestly don't know how to vote when it comes to the human percentage. I seem to find the amount of power that each faction holds to be more important than what their numbers are, and I'm far more concerned that the other races are properly proportioned, as it pertains to purposes of population.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

The other races are properly proportioned, rest assured.

If power is what you're really looking at, then don't worry. Down the line there will be a vote that pertains to that element. This vote is really more about diversity of culture(s).

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

...Yeah, that last sentence was mostly for the alliteration value.

As far as diversity goes, population is still not as important to me as how much influence each race has, as well as how much contact each race has with the others. But I suppose a lot of this is just me justifying to myself my not voting in this section (considering how awesome this setting promises to be, I seem to have a compulsive need to have a hand in making it) apart from really not having a clue what to vote for.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Consider yourself thus justified.

Two to four steps down the road, a relevant vote should be running relating to exactly what you want to see.

At the moment, I'm aware of what tomorrow's vote will be, and the likely choice for Sunday.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

We have reached a verdict on the racial dispersion. I think it will satisfy a majory of you. The determination will be posted in due course.

There will be no vote on the racial dispersion, apart from the human component which is being voted on now.
    I congratulate you on this decision, which will help to avert anarchy.

29. - Top - End - #419

I change my vote from 30% to 50%.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Banned

I would also like to change my vote from 70% to 50% if it is not too inconvenient.