New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up a Campaign Setting (3E/4E)

What? No love for magic? It's an Arabian Nights-esque setting, so I like the idea of magic tending more towards the surreal and dangerous. Heck, I like the idea of magic tending more towards the surreal and dangerous anyway.

...That is what a vote for "use of magic" means, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    What? No love for magic? It's an Arabian Nights-esque setting, so I like the idea of magic tending more towards the surreal and dangerous. Heck, I like the idea of magic tending more towards the surreal and dangerous anyway.

...That is what a vote for "use of magic" means, right?
    That's similar to what I've been asking, and afro has offered to clear this stuff up for us.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

Evil Cults, because "an evil cult is planning to summon demons and destroy the town/city/country/world" is the easiest plot hook to implement.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

so stuck between choices... Demonic Forces
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

5. - Top - End - #455
    Orc in the Playground

I'll go with civil wars. Actually nevermind that I liked mewtarthio's idea I like use of magic now.
    Last edited by blackspeeker; 2008-11-15 at 03:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn View Post
    This is who the people see as the biggest threat? That makes a lot more sense to me then. I'll have to think on that then; too many of these options could be pretty awesome. Of course, I'm going to assume most of them will be factored in to some degree (the desert is essentially a threat no matter what if not prepared - and even if you are to a degree, supernatural beings tend not to be nice people, and depending on how amiably the humans get along with the other races they might be seen as a threat: gnoll raids, etc.)
    It's the equivalent of asking someone, "What is the biggest threat to our world today? Terrorism? The economic crisis? The Large Hadron Collider?"

With regard to the short breakdown, please do. I'd personally like to see that on every vote where it might help, and it would for this one. For example: do Lizardfolk and Gnolls count as Humanoid Hordes (as they're playable races) or as monstrous hordes? Where do Djinn and other such tricky supernatural beings fall under - use of magic, demonic forces, cults, perhaps even gods (which they're not, but humans might view them as close to it)?

By the way, does arabian nights/desert fantasy myth even have dragons? I'm not voting for it anyway because playing DL has given me my fill of that and I'm looking for something different here, but it looks to me like they really might not fit the setting? Are they just being put here because the game is called D&D?

But I'm sure an explanation would clear all these things up.
    I knew I'd have to do one for this poll.

Quick responses before I do:

Lizardfolk and Gnolls are both humanoids.

Djinn are tricky. It depends on whether you want them as antagonists (demonic forces) or purveryors of magic to evil ends (use of magic).

Arabian myth does incorporate dragons, mainly from the Eastern tradition. If that one gets picked, it won't be anything close to Dragonlance's take on them. And yeah; they were going to be on the list no matter what.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    purveryors of magic to evil ends (use of magic).
    This. A thousand times this. Most of the time when I think of an Arabian-Nights-style story, it involves a supernatural being giving some type of magic item/treasure/power/granting a wish/etc to a greedy/foolish mortal and then laughing at them as they proceed to ruin their own life.

For quick tallying purposes, that's a vote for Use of Magic.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2008-11-15 at 02:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Barbarian in the Playground

Environment seems appropriate for a desert setting.
    Age of Avarice - A homebrew SF setting featuring neo-colonialist humans and primitive aliens (offsite hosting)

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Dragons
    Legendary magic-hoarding beasts who rule over all they see, dragons as opposition oppress civilized growth, defend mythical locations, assault great cities and kidnap princesses to trap them in lairs in far-off lands.

Religious Cults
    Much like the Thuggee from Temple of Doom, religious cults may not actually draw on divine power, but use the lure of the supernatural or the divine to draw in worshippers, whether to undermine society, establish theocracy or for some more sinister purpose.

Evil Empires
    Tyrannical nations hellbent on annexing other territory. Actively considered "the badguys" by much of the rest of the world, with diplomatic overtures resulting either in a declaration of war or an alliance with the Evil Empire.

Civil Wars
    Nation vs. nation, culture vs. culture. Xenophobia, lessened trade and a fear of travel all play into conflicts, whether they be between differing religions, governments or city-states.

Humanoid Hordes
    The barbaric invaders sweep through the lands, depleting resources in their lust for conquest. Who they are and how they fight are questions that must be solved lest established civilization fall to rubble under their boots.

Monstrous Hordes
    Opposition from dire, monstrous creatures eager to enslave, dominate or eradicate civilization, replacing it with their own malign rule. From far lands, in deep valleys, in dark caverns, these beasts work to end the humanoids' dominion of the lands.

Demonic Forces
    Nothing less than the spirit of evil, organizing to bring ill to society, cast down priests and rulers and break the spirit of the civilized. The spread of darkness is hard to follow, but these supernatural threats are terrors few can muster the will to stand against. Dire curses by malevolent spirits join in the effort to lay low the humanoids.

Environment
    The terrible sandstorms are the least of threats when massive rocs fly by to snatch up horses, desert wolves raid into towns at night and sand crocodiles prey on caravans.

Gods
    Uncaring or capricious, the gods may stir fate to punish one man, or decide to elevate another. Their children, cast aside by reckless parents, may walk the earth, enslaving mortalkind to their bidding. The wars of such gods may catch mortals in religious clashes or in the terror of the supernatural. Certain gods may just actively dislike humanoids, or have the task of making them suffer.

Use of Magic
    Sorcerers are feared as creatures and demons. Magic is a deadly force that cannot be reckoned with. Those who study it, tracing dark, timelost rituals, do so to gain and exploit power over others, and though its promise is great it is a threat to all who cannot grasp the arcane power.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm...sorry, but after all, I would like to change my vote from "Gods" to Use of Magic (sorcery.)

By the way, the original story of Aladdin is rather different from the Disney version, and it's what's inspired me there.
    Current Characters

I made my avatar myself. You look kind of surprised! Eeh hee hee!

11. - Top - End - #461
    Dwarf in the Playground

CULTS
    FTW
    awsom avvy by simius
    srry 'bout the spellin'

OoTS Graveyard

R.I.P OoTS #1-#443
    Fell right into her grave. OoTS#120-#464

12. - Top - End - #462
    Orc in the Playground

Use of Magic...as long as it doesn't involve Disney's Jafar...
    Amazing Abjuration Avatar made by Serpentine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramarie IRC
    <Fako> Most of my contributions to the system have been in the form of taking a baseball bat to other homebrewer's works.
    <~sirpercival> haha
    <Fako> You laugh because it's true :P
    <~sirpercival> yes. yes i do.
    Skinshred Swarm (CR 9) / Reaper Wolf (CR 5) / Demonecris (CR 18)
    Indomitable (Melee PrC [5 Lvl])

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Gods
    Uncaring or capricious, the gods may stir fate to punish one man, or decide to elevate another. Their children, cast aside by reckless parents, may walk the earth, enslaving mortalkind to their bidding. The wars of such gods may catch mortals in religious clashes or in the terror of the supernatural. Certain gods may just actively dislike humanoids, or have the task of making them suffer.
    I was gonna vote magic for the DarkSun feeling or humanoid hordes so we could actively try to wipe them off the map, but the possibility of Hercules declaring war on Gilgamesh is too awesome to ignore (maybe with a little bit of Highlander flavor thrown in).

So gods it is.
    Last edited by Pronounceable; 2008-11-15 at 02:56 PM.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Monstrous Hordes

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

Use of magic

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to vote Gods.

That was a tough one. I almost went with Civil War, because I really, really like the tension that would bring to a campaign. Then I had a flash of arrogant gods who consider mortals toys or worse, their progeny enslaved as a source of power. Forced into physical labor or imprisoned to have their godly energy siphoned off, these Deity-spawn are weakened, pathetic versions of their ancestors. Hated by mortals, they live only to die.

Oh yeah. That'll do quite nicely.

Zack
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Orc in the Playground

The description of Gods sounds awesome. I'll change from Demonic Forces to Gods.
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Civil Wars or Gods, Civil wars or gods.... spends next hour thinking ...........
    OK
    Gods
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

19. - Top - End - #469
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gods, or Use of Magic? Gods.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Dwarf in the Playground

Man, this a real tough one... But I´ll go for Use of magic.
    Cats have nine lives; they can afford to get killed by curiosity

21. - Top - End - #471
    Orc in the Playground

Wait, what?! Civil wars have xenophobia thrown in there? But, but, but... the Lizardfolk are our friends! Don't hurts them!

I was hoping for a more political rebels vs government vs other rebels type thing... awh, now I don't know what to vote for.

I guess I'd like to change my vote to gods then. I like the idea of a world dominated mostly by arrogant, selfish gods but with a few good ones left for good clerics to worship and spread the goodness for, despite being looked down upon as devout followers.. and more goody, goodness of good.

Yes, that paragraph did indeed favour the word "good".
    If I had a +1 Pan of Frying I could totally do that!

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Drakefall: I was just listing examples. Cultural xenophobia was the one I named. And yes, it could be rebels vs. government just as easily.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    I was gonna vote magic for the DarkSun feeling or humanoid hordes so we could actively try to wipe them off the map, but the possibility of Hercules declaring war on Gilgamesh is too awesome to ignore (maybe with a little bit of Highlander flavor thrown in).So gods it is.
    When you put it like that, it can be no doubt. Forget about civil wars, we want Gods!

24. - Top - End - #474
    Orc in the Playground

Drakefall: I was just listing examples. Cultural xenophobia was the one I named. And yes, it could be rebels vs. government just as easily.
    Oh, my bad. Or rather my poor interpretation. I kinda associated cultural conflict with racial conflict because a lot of the time they happily accompany one another. And I have a sad, unnatural love of Lizardfolk.

If it's ok I'd like to revoke my previous vote change and return to civil war. Sorry for the trouble.
    If I had a +1 Pan of Frying I could totally do that!

25. - Top - End - #475
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm throwing a vote at Gods.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakefall View Post
    If it's ok I'd like to revoke my previous vote change and return to civil war. Sorry for the trouble.
    Your vote has been changed, but it will not be changed again. Stand by your vote, for a weak good opinion is worse than a strong bad opinion. If you can't decide, the DM will set you at True Neutral.

BTW, all votes are tallied.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

I'll throw my lot in with use of magic. While I think hordes are really cool, and I very much hope to see them in the setting, neither horde choice really has a chance.

The reason I don't like the gods-as-antagonists choice is that it would just feel weird. Adventurers are supposed to be powerful enough to really make a difference, and, if gods are the main antagonists, that leaves the DM with the unfortunate choice of making the gods unrealistically weak, making the characters unrealistically powerful, or letting the characters always get kicked around by their main antagonists. I wouldn't want to play in a setting where any of those was the case.

Though I totally agree that having some nasty gods would be cool, I think they should be more background antagonists. They could certainly be planners of evil schemes that the adventurers must thwart, but the day-to-day antagonists of adventurers would be cultists or hordes or djinn or the harsh desert environment or what-have-you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

changing my vote from Demonic forces to Gods because Birth-rightesque deity-spawn as evil overlords is awesome!
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I can't help but think, there is but one foe that occure in an overwhelming majority of the Arabian nights. It is not the deadly kingdom that you must face. Nor the harsh environment. It is something much more sinister. Much harder to define. Harder to ward against. Something that can lead to many a hardship. Yes, the most dangerous thing I can think of is Jealous Women.

It matters not that they live in a small setlement with no neighbors. It will just be your luck that they happened to have a grandmother who taught them powerful sorcery (which they for some reason never use for anything worthwhile), and they will, upon falling for you, eventualy becom jealous and put some curse on you. No matter their station, rank, location, family, etc. It seems every woman has access to curses that they can use on those they are jealous of. Never mind that they seem to have no ability to help themselves with whatever source of magic they have, but they sure won't hesitate to make your life hell for awhile with it. I'm certain the only reason why they survived to this day is because there are just so many women with inexplicable magic that despite getting cursed by them nomatter where you go, you'll eventualy be able to woo some other woman till she decided to remove it. Then you just have to hope she doesn't do the same thing.

So, if possible, I'll vote for jealous women, or just plain jealousy. If thats not possible, I'll vote for environment.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

A lot of you seem to have a very distinct idea of what the Gods vote entails.

Let me put it to you this way:

Birthright had Gods as its primary opposition.

So did Greek Mythology.

There is a fair span of differences.

Edit: And Owrtho, what you just voted for is Use of Magic. No wondermen are scared of it. Their jealous wives and angry mother-in-laws have it!

I'll leave you discretionary time to set your vote in stone.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2008-11-15 at 06:54 PM.