New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge In The Playground XXVI

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    And once you realize that you can't poof around Nightcrawler-style with it, as it requires a standard action, it becomes sort of a letdown.
    not only does it require a standard action to use, it ends your turn once you use it, so you can't even use the move action you're entitled to once you've shadow jumped into your enemy's boudoir or whatever. this is especially confusing since about all it's likely to be used for is quick escapes. the distance on the ability is really lacking, it'd be more useful if it had a cap like yachthol (sp?) webrider. they can hop like 1/4 mile away, so it would be really great if your cunning plan du jour didn't work out the way you intended

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    not only does it require a standard action to use, it ends your turn once you use it, so you can't even use the move action you're entitled to once you've shadow jumped into your enemy's boudoir or whatever. this is especially confusing since about all it's likely to be used for is quick escapes. the distance on the ability is really lacking, it'd be more useful if it had a cap like yachthol (sp?) webrider. they can hop like 1/4 mile away, so it would be really great if your cunning plan du jour didn't work out the way you intended
    Where does it say ending your turn? I didn't notice that on either the Shadowdancer or Dimension Door page.

Edit- Apparently I'm blind.
    Last edited by The Gilded Duke; 2011-11-09 at 10:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    Where does it say ending your turn? I didn't notice that on either the Shadowdancer or Dimension Door page.
    After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn.
    Check it out.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post

Edit- Apparently I'm blind.
    no big deal. people often forget that little clause about dimension door, since it's most commonly used to get out of combat and thus switch your game out of round-by-round mode, so losing the rest of your turn doesn't matter as much.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hope that didn't screw up your build too badly. Still, better to know about it now, with roughly 2 days to finish, rather than have your build get totally hosed in the judging phase.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground

Holy mackerel! I just realized that I nearly forgot to include something crucial in my build; I must be slipping in my old age. Deadline is 11:59 PM GMT on Friday, right? On the east coast of the US, that translates to 6:59 PM, right?

Sheesh, you'd think I'd have this down by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Holy mackerel! I just realized that I nearly forgot to include something crucial in my build; I must be slipping in my old age. Deadline is 11:59 PM GMT on Friday, right? On the east coast of the US, that translates to 6:59 PM, right?

Yup. 7 PM EST. The only reason I know is because I'm in the same timezone.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

can't wait to see what you submit.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    can't wait to see what you submit.
    I can't wait to see what everyone else submitted.
    Best comment I've heard in a D&D game:

Our bard after succeeding in 2 4e grapple checks to slam a female opponent who kind of looks like Ayn Rand:

"I JUST POWERBOMBED AYN RAND!"

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Zipding View Post
    I can't wait to see what everyone else submitted.
    I second that emotion. When it comes down to it, my build is nothing special; I don't think I'll be in the "weirdest possible build" subcompetition . Instead, I'm just trying to make what I believe is the best use of shadowdancer I could muster.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I second that emotion. When it comes down to it, my build is nothing special; I don't think I'll be in the "weirdest possible build" subcompetition . Instead, I'm just trying to make what I believe is the best use of shadowdancer I could muster.
    Neither of my builds are what you would call special either, both would work as NPCs like much of the PrCs in the DMG, much like my Scion of Tem Et Nu characters. However, the weird subcompetition, I do have one possible entry for that, it's on the mild edge of weird, though.
    Best comment I've heard in a D&D game:

Our bard after succeeding in 2 4e grapple checks to slam a female opponent who kind of looks like Ayn Rand:

"I JUST POWERBOMBED AYN RAND!"

12. - Top - End - #282

I did just think of a "weird" build, but it doesn't really stand a chance so I'll just save it for after the reveal.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Private-Prinny View Post
    Yup. 7 PM EST. The only reason I know is because I'm in the same timezone.
    darn. no builds yet. this is my own fault for mentally remembering builds were posted at midnight and as a result unintentionally muddying the issue of whether midnight friday meant 7PM EST on thursday or 7PM EST on friday that having builds posted at 1159PM was intended specifically to avoid.

one day left! looking forward to it.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

How many builds have been actually submitted so far?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    oh hey, zaq! loved your truenamer guide, it was hilarious and if nothing else got me thinking about playing harry dresden as a truenamer.

as of the 6th, Amphetryon says there are 12 submitted. I submitted my second one after that, so we are up to at least 13. after that post by amphetryon, no one else except me mentioned submitting a build in-thread.

17 hours left till builds are revealed, so definitely time for another couple to squeak by. I really don't think that we'll get more than 14 though, which was how many we got for assassin, since shadowdancer's harder to use/get into than assassin is.

kinda relieved you didn't compete. you optimised truenamer. I'd be a little scared to throw down in an optimisation contest with you. hope you enjoy the show! I hope my builds can entertain you as much as your truenamer guide entertained me
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

I'm actually not that good at Iron Chef. The highest I've taken in the proper competition is 3rd, though I'm two for two in taking second place in the Appetizer Edition. (Speaking of, I'd love to have another one of those . . . whaddaya say, Amechra?)

Anyway, I just started at my new job a week or two ago, and I'm working a schedule with a lot less free time than I'm used to. Add in a secret ingredient that doesn't do much to inspire me AND a really wide playing field (making it exceptionally easy to turn into a forgettable also-ran), and there's just no way I would have even considered entering this particular round.

I'm just as intrigued as everyone else to see the reveal, though. With the number of people self-identifying their builds as "weird," this oughta be good. I have nothing but respect for someone who volunteers to judge this round.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

My build is not really weird, but it is interesting.

It doesn't use the Shadowdancer's abilities in any broken or truly amazing ways, but it does make most of them at least useful.

Hopefully I can get it done in time to post. I have to hop a plane tomorrow, so I might not...
    Last edited by Hunter Killer; 2011-11-11 at 03:46 AM.
    "What is Sanity? Madness put to good use. What is our waking life? A dream controlled."
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Darn it all to heck. I wish I had seen this one sooner. I've spent the past 4 days reading through the previous challenges, heh. The moment I read this an idea popped into my head, and I even started statting it, but it's much too late to even give it a fair go. Meh. I'll post my idea after the builds are presented.

Incidentally, I found a relatively obscure PrC that does almost everything that Shadowdancer does, only with a slightly different flavour. My main problem was balancing that with this, without giving up elegance.

Also, expect me to be participating in coming challenges
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oh, how these few days of building have taught me to hate Shadowdancer.

If I never see this class again it'll be too soon.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I'm at 16 in my inbox right now, if my pre-coffee math is right. With just under 12 hours to go, I doubt we'll have trouble breaking 20.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    I'm at 16 in my inbox right now, if my pre-coffee math is right.
    Yowza. With only 17 days to judge, that's a build a day with only one day off. Do the judges think they need more time?
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    I'm at 16 in my inbox right now, if my pre-coffee math is right. With just under 12 hours to go, I doubt we'll have trouble breaking 20.
    Yowza. With only 17 days to judge, that's a build a day with only one day off. Do the judges think they need more time?
    Due to the high number of builds submitted and my inability to get psyched about my entry in its final state, I'll judge.

My Criteria

Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: simply put, does your character stand out in a crowd? Having common build elements (class chassis, particular feat/trick combos) with the WotC example will not gain you any points, and having common build elements with other entries in the same round will lose points.

On the other hand, using a unique entry class will gain points. Using a class I didn't think could even qualify or would never think to use will gain even more points. Since I encourage good writing, a solid and engrossing backstory may earn you a bonus as well. However, brevity is important; just because a backstory is long does not mean it is good.

Power: to boil this category down to its essence, how strong is your build compared to a similar chassis without the Secret Ingredient? Additionally, how does that comparative strength fare over the course of a standard adventuring day? Nova powers are good, but shouldn't be all a character relies on.

Elegance: at its core, I look at three things for this category--simplicity, legality, and progression.
    Simplicity is straightforward: would most DMs be willing to allow this at their table, or does it involve jumping through hoops/penalizing yourself? It is worth noting that I will no longer be penalizing for dips unless they are incredibly convoluted or result in multiclass XP penalties. The big culprit here will be rules interpretations that, while not outright illegal, could cause significant controversy by RAW. If you're doing something quirky, please back it up. As per contest rules, flaws will see a deduction of 1 point apiece in this category.
    Legality is similar: we are showcasing optimization work, so let's make sure we understand the rules. Failing to qualify for the SI is dealt with below. Failing to qualify for a class will lose you 1 point per class, while failing to qualify for a feat will lose you 0.5 points per feat. Other rules issues will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
    Progression is the most subjective of the three: how does the build flow? Does it feel like one continuous class, ramping up steadily in ability through all 20 levels?

Use of Secret Ingredient: This is ultimately a contest about the Secret Ingredient. As such, three things will be considered--qualification, optimization, and completion.
    Qualification: First and foremost, failure to qualify for the Secret Ingredient will result in an automatic score of 1 for this category. Beyond that, however, I will look to see what you did with anything required for qualification. Is it simply there to get you into the Secret Ingredient, or is it a viable part of your character's identity?
    Optimization: do you use all of the class features granted by the Secret Ingredient to their fullest? Do you make them better via synergy with existing class features, feats, etc? Class features that are not mentioned will see a penalty here. Ideas that do not pan out fully will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis; I'd rather see you try something truly original and fail than play it safe.
    Completion: Are all levels of the Secret Ingredient taken? If not, is sound reasoning provided for why not finishing the SI makes the build a better [Secret Ingredient] than more levels in the SI would have?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Build submitted, though I feel I had to rush this one. I simply don't have the free time I used to.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

No, I think they need a TROPHY.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Unless I'm mistaken, they have in the past.

Or a medal, or somesuch.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Or a medal, or somesuch.
    I got mine and Amph has at least 2, I believe.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Or a medal, or somesuch.
    Yes. and our chairman is aware of that. Suggestion delivered.
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Build submitted, with over 4 hours to spare. Early for me.

Good luck all!
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Iiiiiiiiiii. I'm getting all giddy.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't know if I'll get done. If I don't, I'll post my build after the reveal. Hopefully I can get in just under the wire because I just need equipment and a source list at this point...
    "What is Sanity? Madness put to good use. What is our waking life? A dream controlled."
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show