New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVI: Superponies Everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by SkySonata View Post
    So is My Little Pony enjoyed more by guys or girls?
    I think this is a difficult question to answer to be honest. Although the majority of vocal fans are male, Hasbro has indicated many times that the show was also fairly successful in the target demographics, ie. young (probably female) children below the age of 12 (if I'm not mistaken).

2. - Top - End - #782
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    I have been successfully roleplaying as Twilight Sparkle for the last six months and my group still has not realized anything is wrong or suspicious as to why I suddenly care about RP, and books.

*pulls out interweb dueling foil* Have at ye!

*goes to bed*
    Uh, you're seriously playing the 'I'm a closet brony' card to prove you're a bigger brony than me? I wear pony shirts and only pony shirts and literally everyone I know, from family to friends to gaming groups to coworkers, knows I'm a brony. I hold annual muffin giveaways to let random strangers know I'm a brony. I have converted a double digit number of people to the fandom. I've roleplayed ponies in tabletops and in play-by-posts. I've written multiple six star pieces of pony fanfiction. Mate, I reckon I got a lock on this argument.

In unrelated,

Chaos in the streets of Equestria! Luna has declared open war against Celestia, and her supporters champion the cause of the Lunar Republic! Celestia is responding with harsh crackdowns and criminal sanctions to preserve the Solar Empire! Everypony may soon have to pick a side!

My question to the thread is: Who do you (and all your various OCs) support? The Solar Empire or the Lunar Republic?

EDIT: If your answer is "I am an all-powerful entity who would have no truck in the wars of my lessers" my question is "Which side's uniform would you look better in?"
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-27 at 05:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    In unrelated,

Chaos in the streets of Equestria! Luna has declared open war against Celestia, and her supporters champion the cause of the Lunar Republic! Celestia is responding with harsh crackdowns and criminal sanctions to preserve the Solar Empire! Everypony may soon have to pick a side!

My question to the thread is: Who do you (and all your various OCs) support? The Solar Empire or the Lunar Republic?
    Since I more or less live in the Multiverse, and am not a pony, my usual response to this sort of development is "Find a universe where this doesn't happen; continue as usual." If this war is a result of external influence, I'd find the source of this influence and retroactively remove it from the timeline, if possible. If impossible for whatever reason, I'd do my best to block the influence and repair whatever damage was done, i.e. in this case it would likely involve mind-wiping both princesses and restoring their memories from the closest match in an unaffected universe. That's basically the entire job of a Multiverse Controller in a nutshell. If it weren't for being able to actually construct 'verses to goof around in, I'd go crazy with boredom after the first decade.

But, even if I for some unfathomable reason was unable to do any of the above, I'd likely support neither of them. If they want to start a conflict, they have enough power to fight it themselves. If any of them actually cares about the people they lead, they will agree to settle their differences in a duel instead of sacrificing the lives of hundreds of ponies under their rule.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

4. - Top - End - #784

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Since I more or less live in the Multiverse, and am not a pony, my usual response to this sort of development is "Find a universe where this doesn't happen; continue as usual." If this war is a result of external influence, I'd find the source of this influence and retroactively remove it from the timeline, if possible. If impossible for whatever reason, I'd do my best to block the influence and repair whatever damage was done, i.e. in this case it would likely involve mind-wiping both princesses and restoring their memories from the closest match in an unaffected universe. That's basically the entire job of a Multiverse Controller in a nutshell. If it weren't for being able to actually construct 'verses to goof around in, I'd go crazy with boredom after the first decade.

But, even if I for some unfathomable reason was unable to do any of the above, I'd likely support neither of them. If they want to start a conflict, they have enough power to fight it themselves. If any of them actually cares about the people they lead, they will agree to settle their differences in a duel instead of sacrificing the lives of hundreds of ponies under their rule.
    If your answer is "I am an all-powerful entity who would have no truck in the wars of my lessers" my question is "Which side's uniform would you look better in?"

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    NO YOU FOAL
    Think! Why would Bleakbane have a 'closet!?!

IT'S A TRAP!
    He was right. It was a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS
    Darn multitude button.
    Bleakbane; I remember the number 230 for a corvette. Odds are it was meters not kilometers... And I used your "everyone is a Lich because everyone can cast to a degree, even if only a spell or two" as a baseline. I under-shot personel count do to forgetting your a land-assault branch more than a naval force (luckily I over-estimated the ship count - I suppose 25 would be more in the ballpark, but didn't want to redo any maths). Still that is numerically terrifying.
    Fifty-two, actually, including supply and assault ships, and not counting fighters and small craft. Slightly larger than my table-top fleet and a slightly different mix of ships.

(Of course, strength numbers alone is not a good guide insolation: due to the tech and skill advantage, we can expect to be fighting something like two or three to one odds against most fleets on an overall average.)

In unrelated,

I'd have more than half a mind to Gate down, grab both Princess and give them both a good slapping until they stop being so stilly.

Also, pony fandom in general, "Republic." You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

(Particularly with regard as to it being lead by a Princess. REPUBLICS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    (Is behind Aotrs and has been all along, currently with an anvil on top of her. Is yet to notice drawings on her face. This means Derpy is also on board and there is a red X on Aotrs' bridge.)
    Owwww...
    Derpy.

Hm, time to fight fire with fire, or in this case, baked confectionery.

Derpy, my dear filly, I wish to engage your removal and postal services services... If you remove from the station all the ponies, semi-concious goddess and other assorted inflitrators and deliver them through the portal - something you're very good at - I will ensure you are amply rewarded with six dozen giant space-muffins.

Alright, I will throw in a Snake Launcher, but only when you're finished and head home. Yes, of course, I'm going to give you warheads too - a round dozen should be enough I think. Oh, all right, what the hay, you can have two dozen, it's for a good cause!

Oh, before you start... Hopereaver?

Huh? Oh, I got you, boss. Fluidity True. Tyrannosaur's Strength. Lord Focus.

Haste True. There, that should help you from causing any accidental mishaps, now your physical co-ordination is up. Enjoy it while it lasts! And here's a some Aotrs-grade duct-tape and, here, a comm link, hang on, I'll just adjust this - normally use it for Team Carnage, which is why I have one to hand - there we go. The LT will vector you in on the...ah...packages, as it were.

Now, off you go my dear, and clonk Lixie with the anvil as you take her and Kyouhen out, will you, there's good pony. Thank you!

*clonk*

Do you think that'll work?

It's either that or we're out of non-lethal options, so... They ought to hope so...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-01-27 at 06:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #786

If your answer is "I am an all-powerful entity who would have no truck in the wars of my lessers" my question is "Which side's uniform would you look better in?"
    No, my answer is "I like both princesses equally, and if they see it fit to have a conflict and I am powerless to actually stop them or abstain entirely, I'd much rather have them fight it out between themselves and not put their people in harm's way." I'm an all-powerful non-deity who does care about the wars of lessers, but is forced to either watch from the sidelines or switch the channel to something less depressing. Once you realize that the Multiverse is effectively infinite, ignoring a naturally occuring problem and moving on suddenly becomes a viable option.

And I hate uniforms on principle, as they imply conforming to something strict like military regulations. My "casual" combat suit is about equal parts white and black, with tinges of red and green thrown in for highlights. If I'm supposed to be a sort of a neutral balancing force in the Multiverse, I might as well look the part, even if nobody is usually around to appreciate it (and even when they are, nobody remembers it when I'm done... T_T).
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

7. - Top - End - #787

No, my answer is "I like both princesses equally, and if they see it fit to have a conflict and I am powerless to actually stop them or abstain entirely, I'd much rather have them fight it out between themselves and not put their people in harm's way." I'm an all-powerful non-deity who does care about the wars of lessers, but is forced to either watch from the sidelines or switch the channel to something less depressing. Once you realize that the Multiverse is effectively infinite, ignoring a naturally occuring problem and moving on suddenly becomes a viable option.

And I hate uniforms on principle, as they imply conforming to something strict like military regulations. My "casual" combat suit is about equal parts white and black, with tinges of red and green thrown in for highlights. If I'm supposed to be a sort of a neutral balancing force in the Multiverse, I might as well look the part, even if nobody is usually around to appreciate it (and even when they are, nobody remembers it when I'm done... T_T).
    Red, white, green... now I'm imagining you going in dressed in a Christmas outfit and/or clown costume. And I can't stop.

8. - Top - End - #788

Red, white, green... now I'm imagining you going in dressed in a Christmas outfit and/or clown costume. And I can't stop.
    Heh. Very funny. Would it be funny if your Mask was suddenly lined with magnesium?

Anyway, I keep trying to get a drawing of myself done, but for all the other skills I've accumulated over my time as a Controller, drawing seems to be progressing the slowest.
    Here's what my latest attempt looked like. It's a riff on the Mii'Ari Light melee armor, with a technique set appropriate for indoor combat. Don't laugh too much, it was made a while ago.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I keep getting the human figure proportions wrong. Spent too much time around Mii'Ari during the Greatest of the Wars campaign. Also, the red star has nothing to do with my current avatar's being located in Russia. It's just the way these Psi conduit crystals grow. I figured having a Chest Blaster was too cliche, so I put it in the belt buckle. Makes aiming a little weird, but with how much power I can channel through it, you only need to point in the general direction of the enemy anyway.

edit: Even though Thanqol's Minimalism Week has ended, I sorta wish I hadn't posted this image right now...
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-01-27 at 06:20 AM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ettin in the Playground

Hrmm ... I had a random burst of creativity, brought on by yet another dream that seemed to want to be transcribed in some kind of short story.

Try not to analyse it too deeply, I don't really want to know what it says about my subconcious

Title pending (Suggestions welcome). Not that it's ever going to go anywhere except in this forum XD

Spoiler
    Show

It's on the news again.

Another update, some boring anchor droning on and on about the great conflict that is brewing god knows where. They say there's going to be fighting soon, that the talks are breaking down, that the Equestrian concessions are unreasonable, blah-de-blah and so on. I don't care about it. It's not my job and others can deal with all the anxiety. Besides, it's all so far from here.

It doesn't help that after a while all that crap starts to sound the same either; just opinionated, noisy people trying to force their views down my throat.

I need to get ready for work.

Leaving my home, I step into the street. Tall, glass sided buildings rise around me, their windows reflecting the sun all over the place. Walking down the road, I can't go more than a few paces without something, somewhere reflecting that damn glare into my face. The sky is blue and clear, most people would take that as a blessing. Me, I just grumble about it, shield my eyes, and get on with my life.

I pass by the park, the one place in this city that hasn't been paved over yet. Kids fill it, playing with their families and laughing. Couples also dot the landscape, walking hand in hand or lying in the shade of the great gum trees. I smile, although I can't help feel a bit of sadness, of loneliness at the sight.

Anyway, onwards.

I go to work. I work. Before I realise it, I'm heading home again. The workdays bleed together; today is already a misty haze of activity. I can't even remember the details of what I did last week.

If this is living, it's pretty unfulfilling. Every kid growing up wants to be special, to feel like there is some destined role for them to play in the world. I don't know. I feel like I'm not living so much as just waiting. Waiting for that thing to come to me. To appear before me in a spray of noise and light to announce "I'm here! I'm your destiny!"

Maybe I missed it.

I don't know.

Time to get ready for work again.

===

I pass by the park. Like every day, it's crowded with people, but today something is different. Maybe it's a flicker out of the corner of my eye, or maybe something flitting between me and that damn reflected glare, but my gaze is drawn to the sky.

Clouds are moving in, and I'm suddenly afraid.

They don't move like clouds normally do, they don't roll in along a front, propelled by a breeze. These clouds are coming in straight line paths from every direction, like balls thrown from afar. They don't look like the puffy white or slate grey clouds of my reality either, these are small, black and crackling with yellow lightning. They converge on one another, building up right over the park.

I'm reminded of the news report from god knows how long ago. Other thoughts suddenly crowd my mind, shouting for attention. They said that the winged ones, the pegasi, can control the weather. The storm is getting bigger, will it just be rain? Or hail? Is it war now? So many glass buildings nearby, and no shelter along the street. Oh god, the children.

People are beginning to notice it now, watching and pointing in surprise or awe … but nobody is doing anything.

I'm too scared to even consider that this might have been the thing I was waiting for.

No time left. Have to act now.

I run, the ground flows beneath me like I'm flying. The next thing I know I'm in the park, shouting at people to get to cover. There's an old church next door. I've never really noticed it before today, never paid it much attention. Kind of like the news.

Today, it's the most important building in my life. It's the only one made from stone you see. With all the glass, the vaulted ceilings make it the best shelter around. It's not perfect, but I can't think of anything better.

I point. I yell. Amazingly, the people begin to move. We enter the church in a paniced flood just as the hailstones begin to fall.

It's terrifying; sheltering from a storm like that in a place like this. Despite being made of stone, there is still glass in the church and the mosaics are the first things to shatter. The sound they make when they break is just like the windows of the offices outside. Everyone, myself included, huddles beneath the cover of the pews or in the alcoves. Hail flies through the openings, and some people are hurt. I try to tell myself it's better than being out there. I can hear the brittle ripping of trees falling and the crash of debris hitting the ground, even over the howl of the wind. But part of me knows it's my fault.

The noise echoes throughout the building and the children are crying. I tell them what I'm trying to tell myself: "We're going to be okay".

===

I don't know how long it's been since that storm, the days have passed in a blur.

It's not like work though, where my only memories are of boredom, routine and dissatisfaction. Now I remember faces, of children and parents, lovers and grandparents. They are kind faces, grateful faces. Thanking me for all I did on that day. Not just the people I saved though, but the media too. I see my face on papers, on the television. Often the caption reads "hero". I smile at that.

I don't know how many other places were hit, or how many others were hurt. I only know that it was a lot. There's a ministry now, to help plan the fighting. Part of me knows that it's also using me as a tool, for propaganda and to boost morale. I don't really care about that stuff. To tell the truth, I still don't know whether the storm was a first strike, or if it was retaliation for something. Nobody's told me, and I still don't trust the news.

Other people care though, like the ministry types, the general public and those people I still visit at the hospital. Of all of them, I only honestly care about the last group.

I'm going to the hospital now, in fact.

Their families are there, sitting around the bedsides and watching as their loved ones are treated. They are grateful that I came.

I suddenly realise that I treasure that feeling I get when they thank me; of pride and accomplishment, like I've finally become something more than what I was. Maybe part of it is that I'm just happy someone else is glad I exist.

It's not perfect though, a lot of people know me now and not all of them are glad to. Like some of the people on television. They talk to each other, and the words they throw between them are painful to hear, even when they're not aimed directly at me. Some say that I'm inflaming tensions between the two races, that I'm helping to entrench the new order. Others say my work with the ministry is encouraging violent retribution.

I'm surprised by the hate coming from them at times … the vile passion that sits behind and fuels their words. How, no matter what I try to say and do in response, they are able to make arguments to support their position that sound completely reasonable. That I'm something bad.

I don't know what I did to make them hate me so much. I don't remember giving any speeches, or endorsing any campaigns … but then again, the details since the storm elude me.

All I know is that it doesn't sound like something I would have done.

They believe I did it though; all those news anchors, those talk show hosts, those people railing against me in the streets or online ...

That man walking towards me right now.

There's something … wrong about him. Something wrong about the way he moves. Something wrong about the way he looks.

I'm afraid again, but this time I can't get away.

He swings at me, an object I can't see grasped in his right hand. It hits me on the bicep, leaving a stinging line of blood on my arm. He says something to me, but I can't hear the words. All I can hear is the wind, rushing around my head …

The pain begins to spread, and everything goes black.

===

I'm awake, and the doctors are talking to me again.

Their expressions are grim; they still don't know what that man had been carrying. They can't explain what it did.

I can, but the word they're looking for doesn't exist in their vocabulary.

They say there's nothing more they can do for me, that they're going to let me go home now. They ask if I need transport.

I say no, I can walk back on my own.

But I can't "walk" anymore. Not like I used to.

I crawl down the hallway. That's what it feels like at any rate; a kind of stilted crawl, balancing on my hands and kneecaps. I realise that I have to change my own vocabulary too now; I don't have hands anymore, only hooves. Hooves, and wings, and a pale blue coat.

The sun is setting, and now everyone is going home. The families I'd visited file past me, offering me their sympathy. Conciously, they know who I ... who I was, but their eyes betray them; hidden behind the pity is a revulsion at what I've become. I try not to think ill of them for that.

Behind them pass others, ones who don't know me. Their revulsion isn't hidden at all, and the only reason they don't attack me is because of the people talking to me.

It's not fair.

I try to explain to them, no I plead with them. "I'm not one of them, I'm one of you! I helped you!" Some barely listen to my words, only seeing a twisted creature on the sidewalk rather than a person. Others just ignore me and, sneering, respond with derision. A few even return my pleas with obscenities and epithets. I don't know which ones hurt the worst, only that they all build up. Up until the weight of their collective scorn is too much to bear.

"It's not fair, I'm one of you!"

The families speaking to me are gone, and all that is left is the hatred and rejection. Outcast. Monster. I don't know why it's so important to make them understand. I don't know what primal urge this is that compels me to try. I only know that I'm failing, and it's with the realisation that I'll never get their acceptance that I begin to cry.

"Go away! You don't belong!" yell the adults.

It's not fair.

"Freak!" yell the children.

It's not fair.

"You god damned pegasi!'

It's not fair!!

I - I remember what that man said now ... when he attacked me.

"Now you'll see what it's like to be one of us"

But ... I dont ...

I don't even know how to fly.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

Peripheral fanbase is probably mostly male, save for pre-G4 fans, which are mostly female. Main fanbase of little girls is probably larger through. But we'll never be able to know for certain, since most bronies use Youtube and other digital formats to watch the show.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-01-27 at 10:27 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

11. - Top - End - #791
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Fo those unaware, one of the most popular fan voices for Derpy Hooves is that of "balddumborat", who voices her in, most famously, the audio series called Doctor Whooves and Assistant.
    She felt partially responsible for the rejection of Tabitha's canon voicing of Derpy, which she learned was a mistake (Tabitha thought Derpy was a stallion, as nobody at the studio gave any indication otherwise). So, she asked her Tumblr followers for Tabitha's E-mail, so that she could send a personal apology, and show her what her fans imagined Derpy's voice as by sending her one of her own audio clips.
    Tabitha responded immediately, and in a way that thrilled balddumborat.

Spoiler
    Show
    I just came in to sputter and rage about how I heard that some people actually gave Tabitha hate mail over the whole Derpy thing. This here almost makes up for it but also makes me angrier.

Why? Why would someone even go complain at the people who did this for us much less send angry emails to nice people because we don't like the favor they did us?

Anyway, as for Thanqol's question about New Lunar Republic or Solar Empire, I can't choose between them. Not even for fun, Sisters Undivided all the way.
    The Dude pony avatar by http://supermatt314.deviantart.com/

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

In addition to the raw numbers this question is asking for, it's a rather subjective issue. Do I enjoy it as much as a random 10 year old? More? Less? Do I enjoy it as much as Thanqol does? Or Kairaiven when he's getting the pony history think going full force? Seems kind of tough to measure. Maybe we need a scale of enjoyment units?

Uh, you're seriously playing the 'I'm a closet brony' card to prove you're a bigger brony than me? I wear pony shirts and only pony shirts and literally everyone I know, from family to friends to gaming groups to coworkers, knows I'm a brony. I hold annual muffin giveaways to let random strangers know I'm a brony. I have converted a double digit number of people to the fandom. I've roleplayed ponies in tabletops and in play-by-posts. I've written multiple six star pieces of pony fanfiction. Mate, I reckon I got a lock on this argument.

In unrelated,

EDIT: If your answer is "I am an all-powerful entity who would have no truck in the wars of my lessers" my question is "Which side's uniform would you look better in?"
    Having read your previous work, I have a question before I answer this. How good is Luna at raising the sun in this continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    He was right. It was a trap.

Fifty-two, actually, including supply and assault ships, and not counting fighters and small craft. Slightly larger than my table-top fleet and a slightly different mix of ships.

(Of course, strength numbers alone is not a good guide insolation: due to the tech and skill advantage, we can expect to be fighting something like two or three to one odds against most fleets on an overall average.)

I'd have more than half a mind to Gate down, grab both Princess and give them both a good slapping until they stop being so stilly.

Also, pony fandom in general, "Republic." You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

(Particularly with regard as to it being lead by a Princess. REPUBLICS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!)

Derpy.

Hm, time to fight fire with fire, or in this case, baked confectionery.

Derpy, my dear filly, I wish to engage your removal and postal services services... If you remove from the station all the ponies, semi-concious goddess and other assorted inflitrators and deliver them through the portal - something you're very good at - I will ensure you are amply rewarded with six dozen giant space-muffins.

Alright, I will throw in a Snake Launcher, but only when you're finished and head home. Yes, of course, I'm going to give you warheads too - a round dozen should be enough I think. Oh, all right, what the hay, you can have two dozen, it's for a good cause!

Oh, before you start... Hopereaver?

Huh? Oh, I got you, boss. Fluidity True. Tyrannosaur's Strength. Lord Focus.

Haste True. There, that should help you from causing any accidental mishaps, now your physical co-ordination is up. Enjoy it while it lasts! And here's a some Aotrs-grade duct-tape and, here, a comm link, hang on, I'll just adjust this - normally use it for Team Carnage, which is why I have one to hand - there we go. The LT will vector you in on the...ah...packages, as it were.

Now, off you go my dear, and clonk Lixie with the anvil as you take her and Kyouhen out, will you, there's good pony. Thank you!

*clonk*

Do you think that'll work?

It's either that or we're out of non-lethal options, so... They ought to hope so...
    Hey Derpy. Wait, what are you? Where does that portal lead?!

*Bonk*
    *Crash*
    *Cat's screeching*
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

13. - Top - End - #793

Heh. Very funny. Would it be funny if your Mask was suddenly lined with magnesium?
    What's that? Did you just say, "Please, Mask, teach me to dance like the Disco King?" Well, whatever you say.

There are consequences to revealing your true form, my friend. And it's always Minimalism Week somewhere in my heart.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-27 at 09:02 AM.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd stay out of the war.
    "Well, on the one hoof, I know Luna... but on the other hoof, I think I'd look snazzy in yellow... er, do we have to fight? I don't want to fight."
    "A war?" D:
    "Er... If there's a war on, I'd think me and Razette would just leave..."
    "It depends entirely on who's winning."
    Last edited by Tectonic Robot; 2012-01-27 at 09:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

(IC): Hmm... this is a hard one.
    On one hand, I'm SUPPOSED to be completely neutral in these regards. My purpose is simply to protect wishes and dreams of everyone. Hence, you don't see me preemptively stop Bowser from stealing the Princess of Mushroom Kingdom.
    On the other hand, I'm a Star Spirit. Luna = Goddess of the Night. That kind of puts her over me, so... you know. Besides, I think I'll look good in black and blue.
    Though if Mario were to decide to join in on this fight, he would probably side with Celestia, given his track record. Which would make things ENTIRELY awkward should we inevitably see each other again.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Gentleponies, I have found the best new askblog.

http://askhotbloodedpinkie.tumblr.com/

I only hope it keeps updating after three weeks. I swear that's some sort of magical barrier for these things. If it's still going strong after that point, it's safe to say it's a keeper.
    That is awesome.

Girls like My Little Pony? What are you saying?

In unrelated,

Personally, I find the Celestia vs Luna thing to be utterly ridiculous and one of my least favorite fandom memes. Instead, have some PATRIOTISM:
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2012-01-27 at 10:27 AM.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Orc in the Playground

In unrelated,

The Principality of the Divine Eagle already considers itself a member of Her Radiant Majesty's United Equestrian Principalities. My loyalties lie with Celestia, not only out of honour, but out of calculating callousness also. I do not bet against winners.

ThisthisthisthisTHIS. I haven't got a clue how it even caught on, and frankly, Celestia is even the more democratic of the two.

This isn't even a choice really. Alternative A has successfully led her people for a millenia by herself, as well as maintaining their ecosystem alongside.

Alternative B has tried and on top of that failed to doom everything alive twice.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-01-27 at 10:36 AM.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    Personally, I find the Celestia vs Luna thing to be utterly ridiculous and one of my least favorite fandom memes.
    I'm only very vaguely aware of this Lunar Republic/Solar Empire business... Could someone fill me in?

Girls like My Little Pony? What are you saying?
    The poor chap is clearly delusional. Pay him no mind.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-01-27 at 10:38 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Troll in the Playground

In unrelated,

Personally, I'd have to side with Luna, both for the intensely shallow reason that I find her color scheme deeply aesthetically pleasing, and for the fact that I have a crippling addiction to supporting the underdogs.

Second Hand could probably be induced to support the current Princess, but his initial response would probably be fear and confusion about this whole conflict thing...

Constitutional monarchy then? Republic just sort of rolls off the tongue better...

*Also points to a number of governments which refer to themselves as Republics while remaining light years away from any sort of spirit of republicanism*
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

In unrelated,

Me: Entirely open to bribery of all kinds, as choosing between the two is too hard, Luna, get me some Woona plushies and we'll have a deal.

Amish Pirate (I guess that's what we'll call him): Far too chaotic to side with the Solar Empire, and they've likely banished many of his scallywags to the moon. Besides, his loyalties would lie with the one in charge of the tides. He's a solid (if wacky) supporter of Luna.

Sandy Shores (The OC I never really bring in here): Tough call. When he gives his loyalty to somepony, he sticks with them no matter what. A split like this would have the poor stallion baffled. He'd probably do a lot of thinking and self-examination to find out which Princess he's actually pledged to serve, and then stick with that one. In both versions of him that I've played, however, he'd stick with Luna in the end.

So I guess the vote is Celestia: 0, Luna: 2 (though technically 3), Undecided: 1.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Have some derp in a box!

Spoiler
    Show
    That is both adorable and addicting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    CONNETICUT WEATHER SUCKS
    Hey CT has fine weather, its a rare part of the world that most years gets a full helping of all four seasons. Ever since I left I've found myself missing at least one.

Yeah no I'm gonna stand by that. All you non-tropical folks weird me out with your T-shirts and single layer when it gets below 65 F.
    Yeah the 50s are nice, you can break out a light jacket and have extra pockets. Me though I like it in when its cold enough to break out my wonderful suede leather and wool lined jacket. It is both warm for as cold as you want to go, doesn't even feel the wind, and yet still breathes.

Twilight being the librarian makes sense I suppose, but the way she treats the place, it's more like a library in the literal sense than in the public facility sense. We have no reason to believe she doesn't own all of those books personally, and that they were just shipped ahead by Celestia.
    Well it is in a prime location in the middle of town. Even Princess Celestia can presumably not just make prime real estate just appear from a distance. But as the Princess's Number 1 student Twilight can probably be considered a Principality official and thus can treat government possessions like they really are her own.

A falling creature's wings would naturally flair a bit, allowing them to catch the air. In D&D terms, winged creatures that fall unconscious lock their wings and feather fall. Ignoring that Pegasus wigs couldn't actually support a Pegasus mechanically, of course...
    Don't forget that D&Ds locking statement doesn't make any sense either. Uncontrolled flight is almost as dangerous as free-fall. And not that I believe for a minute a unconscious creature doesn't go into free-fall.

So things like the Wonderbolts falling for example makes a lot of sense. Clearly their magic is mostly conscious.
    Harder to beat other fleets with, though.
    For certain values of fleets its not that hard, very few have ships are without weak points I can exploit to punch well above my tonnage should I need to. Though that's purely hypothetical.

This is a rather accurate assessment of my own thoughts. Paranoia at having enemies in three dimensional space when I currently operate in 2D space is the only reason I'd care at all; and I'd rather just have enough firepower to be logistically annoying, or stay off the grid.
    I stay off the grid and have multiple redundant safe locations in the event I somehow offend someone of sufficient epic. Which is the true concern in my book, not large massing of forces but concentrations of power to high levels.

You would be surprised what lateral thinking could do to handle this. And specialization runs thin against a horde. Sure, your skill could compensate for a cabal of 20 dedicated meddlers all trying to thwart you. But 50? 80? 2,000?
    Well the nice thing about teleporting is that there just aren't that many capable of posing a barrier. Certainly there are limits to what I can achieve offensively (I've no desire to try destroying a fleet even if I can hypothetically conceive of methodology to do so), but defensively I've yet encounter an entity that can block my activities that cares about the planes I use as my stomping ground in such a manner.

Girls, FiM appeals to both but little girls have been liking My Little Pony for around three decades.

Yes I've been wondering about this myself. Though one could have a Principality with Republican aspects such matters rather miss the point.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

In unrelated,

What are both sides offering? What kind of institutional framework is the LR aiming for, and how would that improve peoples lives? Celestia's rule has worked out the last millennium. And she has an awesome plot. So Celestia, even if I like Luna's colour scheme?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

23. - Top - End - #803
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

In unrelated,

If I must choose between the two, I am slightly more inclined to give Luna a hug over Celestia. It's not much, but what else would I go with? (I look better in dark colors, too.)

That said, I think Althaniar's proposal is the most sensible one.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

24. - Top - End - #804

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    If I must choose between the two, I am slightly more inclined to give Luna a hug over Celestia. It's not much, but what else would I go with? (I look better in dark colors, too.)

That said, I think Althaniar's proposal is the most sensible one.
    The only support I give Luna over Celestia is that I must admit to preferring the Lunar Republic color scheme.

But yeah, Althaniar wins this current discussion.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

If Thanqol's cunning plan - and I'll lay reasonable odds it might have been, given that it's Thanqol - was to divide everypony up to draw a big battle scene with the threadponies, like for the Mock War or something, I rather think we have somewhat decisively foiled it with a pleasently surprising show of unity...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-01-27 at 12:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If Thanqol's cunning plan - and I'll lay reasonable odds it might have been, given that it's Thanqol - was to divide everypony up to draw a big battle scene with the threadponies, like for the Mock War or something, I rather think we have somewhat decisively foiled it with a pleasently surprising show of unity...
    I think we pretty consistently believe Celestia really is as good a pony as she appears to be. Which says a lot about the maturity of our herd in my book.

27. - Top - End - #807

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Now, necromancy can be fun and friendly too!
    "I dunno, I've never found a helpful application of necromany, sure it might be good in a fight, but there's plenty of others ways to fight well."

Edit: Also, Novello would probably go Lunar Republic
    Last edited by Istari; 2012-01-27 at 12:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #808

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I think we pretty consistently believe Celestia really is as good a pony as she appears to be. Which says a lot about the maturity of our herd in my book.
    Exactly. And Luna needs a hug yes, but she needs a hug from Celestia instead of from the thousands of loyal followers ready to appoint her supreme monarch of the New Lunar Republic and make war on Celestia's domain. I remember way back last year when I was constantly preaching harmony to folks who were so fanatical for Luna that they didn't realize they would be forcing her into making the same mistake that she so wants to atone for.

Plus patriotic symbols that include both of them and focus on their whole unified duality thing are cool,

Spoiler
    Show

Especially when they reference 40k

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

In unrelated,

Eh, Younger Pwny Lord would probably side with Luna, Older Pwny Lord would side with Celestia, but only just to get on the good side of the government, and if it looked like they were losing he would switch sides in the blink of an eye. Me personally, I never cared much for those particular bits of fanon, so I would just sit on the sidelines and grab some popcorn.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

30. - Top - End - #810

Quote Originally Posted by D_Lord View Post
    Hello I'm been watching for a long time so I decided to at last pop in.

*POP*

Hello Lix, I got more eviled up for you and the Lich.
    People to add to my list when I get to a computer.

In unrelated,

Crossings (while dragging Iris along) would probably leave and tour the world, visit the zebra lands, meet the griffins, find a way under the sea and find sea ponies, and finish off his trip in pony-Australia. Hopefully when he finally got back from his trip hostilities would be gone or at least no longer having the potential for overt fights.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol