New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC IX: Turning the Tide

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    and now she can explore this wall too, maybe even get to practice her skills again. Natalia wipes her eyes with the back of her hand. "I am, want to look. Thank you."

Natalia looks back at mithril and grins. "thank you. Hope you...find shrine." She follows alder to the wall.
    Lander walks with Natalia towards the edge of the town. "You should know," he starts, "good stone is hard to come by in Woodhelm. When we need it, we have to carve it from a shallow quarry eight miles away and haul it here, and we had to build the wall in a hurry. So we used stone for the guard towers and for the foundation, but the wall itself is made of wood- of which there is plenty available"

Natalia can see that there are eight stone guard towers around the perimeter of the camp, lined by the 30 foot high wall. Rocks make up the bottom few feet of the wall, with two layers of thick, flat lumber sprouting from it, separated, it appears, by a thin wooden chassis meant to reinforce it.. The walls are buttressed from the inside by additional planks every few yards to keep them from being pushed in. The work is clearly rushed and inelegant- the buttresses are not even sanded- but as Natalia studies the structure she can tell it was crafted with an expert eye for engineering, with the positions well chosen against outside forces. Along the top of the wall are the battlements, with corridors for guards to patrol- these too are ugly but functional.

Lander points to a spot along the wall that looks newer. "That's where the fire giant broke through," he says sadly. "Didn't take too long to break through both layers, even with us filling him with arrows from above."

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    "To be honest, I am not sure myself. We were to meet some people, but the dragon interfered. Please don't ask me details about them, I can't really speak about it. But I don't yet know what we are to do next, I need to discuss it with the others.
    "I understand the need for secrecy," Elynwena replies in a forgiving tone. "It's not as if I have shared any secrets with you."

As Rhenner turns to leave, she leans up and grabs his hand. "You are always welcome here, son. I hope you know that." Her eyes are as sincere as he's seen them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once Rhenner leaves, it will be easy to find either Natalia mid-conversation with Lander or Mithril in the chapel.
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Mithril peered at the canvas. "I have seen many. Though these paintings are new, I am unused to all the gods so close together. It does seem to be a habit on this continent though." Realizing she hadn't introduced herself she bowed. "I am Mithril, follower of Boccob. Your art is very interesting. I was hoping to use your temple to pray for a spell, at least while my companions are busy. There are so many questions Boccob leaves me and rough travel is never suited for contemplation."
    "I am Ilda," the elf replies, bowing. "So you follow the Archmage?" She points to a canvas along the left side of the chapel. "What do you think?"

When Mithril first entered she had looked for a painting of Boccob and failed to find one; none resembled the old man with a cane that fit the god's normal depiction. But Mithril takes a closer look at the painting Ilda points out, one that originally appeared to be a simple map of the Eldgar continent seen from above. When she stares long enough at the painting, she sees a pattern emerge, as though from an optical illusion, and realizes the Eye of Boccob is subtly superimposed upon the painting, as though integrated with the terrain.

"Other gods are suited to more literal representations," Ilda continues. "Take St. Cuthbert- some say he was a mortal once, and his proper representation is that of a hero, taking action within our material plane." Indeed, Mithril sees a painting of St. Cuthbert, clad in plate mail, swinging a mace in battle. "But I always felt that Boccob was found nowhere, and everywhere, as though he holds our own world together."

She taps her forehead as if to put an end to her own self-promotion. "Of course you may pray here, Mithril. But if you don't mind me asking, are you a cleric yourself, to pray for a spell from your deity?" Her eyes linger for a fraction of a second on Mithril's guildmark.

Current Map

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
    "I am Ilda," the elf replies, bowing. "So you follow the Archmage?" She points to a canvas along the left side of the chapel. "What do you think?"

When Mithril first entered she had looked for a painting of Boccob and failed to find one; none resembled the old man with a cane that fit the god's normal depiction. But Mithril takes a closer look at the painting Ilda points out, one that originally appeared to be a simple map of the Eldgar continent seen from above. When she stares long enough at the painting, she sees a pattern emerge, as though from an optical illusion, and realizes the Eye of Boccob is subtly superimposed upon the painting, as though integrated with the terrain.

"Other gods are suited to more literal representations," Ilda continues. "Take St. Cuthbert- some say he was a mortal once, and his proper representation is that of a hero, taking action within our material plane." Indeed, Mithril sees a painting of St. Cuthbert, clad in plate mail, swinging a mace in battle. "But I always felt that Boccob was found nowhere, and everywhere, as though he holds our own world together."

She taps her forehead as if to put an end to her own self-promotion. "Of course you may pray here, Mithril. But if you don't mind me asking, are you a cleric yourself, to pray for a spell from your deity?" Her eyes linger for a fraction of a second on Mithril's guildmark.
    Mithril smiled, turning her hand so the mark of the Institute was clearly visible. "Not quite. With Boccob to practice magic is as much a prayer as words. He blurs the lines between the distinct forms of magic. And I believe I am more useful to him as a wizard, not a cleric." She examined the map, mind flashing back to the rough scratched our map that marked the web in the underdark and the scratched out section over Woodhelm. "The image... reminds me of another. But this is happier, more celebratory. Though I do agree that Boccob is everywhere and nowhere. They call him the Uncaring, but maybe there is just to much to care about."

She glanced at the picture of St. Cuthbert, lip slightly curling in anger. "He is no true hero. St. Cuthbert led a dear friend into trap after trap until she finally died still trying to do his will. She believed until the end and suffering was her reward."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Mithril smiled, turning her hand so the mark of the Institute was clearly visible. "Not quite. With Boccob to practice magic is as much a prayer as words. He blurs the lines between the distinct forms of magic. And I believe I am more useful to him as a wizard, not a cleric." She examined the map, mind flashing back to the rough scratched our map that marked the web in the underdark and the scratched out section over Woodhelm. "The image... reminds me of another. But this is happier, more celebratory. Though I do agree that Boccob is everywhere and nowhere. They call him the Uncaring, but maybe there is just to much to care about."

She glanced at the picture of St. Cuthbert, lip slightly curling in anger. "He is no true hero. St. Cuthbert led a dear friend into trap after trap until she finally died still trying to do his will. She believed until the end and suffering was her reward."
    Ilda watches Mithril's angry expression quietly, and seems to hesitate before offering her reply. "This dear friend... would she say the same thing, if she were here?"

Current Map

5. - Top - End - #185

Ilda watches Mithril's angry expression quietly, and seems to hesitate before offering her reply. "This dear friend... would she say the same thing, if she were here?"
    Mithril's tone was bitter, but tinged with regret. "She would still have believed."

She sat down pulling out Whiskers. "Boccob has intervened in my life before to guide me or help. It always has a price, but he is there. But when she needed help the most she was given a cleric who abused his power and discarded her. He had done it more than once. St. Cuthbert never punished him for his evils."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

Lander walks with Natalia towards the edge of the town. "You should know," he starts, "good stone is hard to come by in Woodhelm. When we need it, we have to carve it from a shallow quarry eight miles away and haul it here, and we had to build the wall in a hurry. So we used stone for the guard towers and for the foundation, but the wall itself is made of wood- of which there is plenty available"

Natalia can see that there are eight stone guard towers around the perimeter of the camp, lined by the 30 foot high wall. Rocks make up the bottom few feet of the wall, with two layers of thick, flat lumber sprouting from it, separated, it appears, by a thin wooden chassis meant to reinforce it.. The walls are buttressed from the inside by additional planks every few yards to keep them from being pushed in. The work is clearly rushed and inelegant- the buttresses are not even sanded- but as Natalia studies the structure she can tell it was crafted with an expert eye for engineering, with the positions well chosen against outside forces. Along the top of the wall are the battlements, with corridors for guards to patrol- these too are ugly but functional.

Lander points to a spot along the wall that looks newer. "That's where the fire giant broke through," he says sadly. "Didn't take too long to break through both layers, even with us filling him with arrows from above."
    Natalia nods, and as she investigates the wall it's clear that he did what he could with the stone he had. The wall is extremely well done, and it's clear on her face, the admiring look she gives him. She runs her hand along the wood, even pressing against it, and can't feel any brittle orange, or springy green where green shouldn't be. The stone is cool, and tough, and thick, and feels flat and gray. Its only weaknesses that she can think of right away are the materials, and...active defenses.

"Lander, did giants break or burn wood?can you...wrap wood in iron, or get stone, steel from firm? Or help from institute? I joined for engineers." She pauses, pacing around the wall. "you want traps?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-09-16 at 02:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Natalia nods, and as she investigates the wall it's clear that he did what he could with the stone he had. The wall is extremely well done, and it's clear on her face, the admiring look she gives him. She runs her hand along the wood, even pressing against it, and can't feel any brittle orange, or springy green where green shouldn't be. The stone is cool, and tough, and thick, and feels flat and gray. Its only weaknesses that she can think of right away are the materials, and...active defenses.

"Lander, did giants break or burn wood?"
    "Both, really. He had a flaming sword- a rather fearsome one. We sold it once we'd captured it," he adds sheepishly, "it wasn't as though any of us could pick it up."

can you...wrap wood in iron, or get stone, steel from firm?
    He shakes his head. "Getting that much stone out here would cost a fortune- much less could we acquire any metal, in that quantity."

"Or help from institute? I joined for engineers." She pauses, pacing around the wall. "you want traps?"
    "Traps?" he asks. "What kind do you mean?"

Spoiler
    Show

Note that as I've pointed out before, automated crossbow traps and the like are very ineffective in a siege defense. You'd much rather have the crossbow wielded by a guard, so it can be aimed and reloaded.

That doesn't mean no traps are possible. For example, you could contribute some of your firepowder and lay explosive traps in the woods around the village, although it would take a good amount of powder to be likely to trip people up (there isn't a single route in). You could also build them grenades, though of course that's dangerous for the walls.

Of course I'm open to other trap ideas from anyone OOC.
    Last edited by Admiral; 2015-09-16 at 02:41 PM.

Current Map

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Mithril's tone was bitter, but tinged with regret. "She would still have believed."

She sat down pulling out Whiskers. "Boccob has intervened in my life before to guide me or help. It always has a price, but he is there. But when she needed help the most she was given a cleric who abused his power and discarded her. He had done it more than once. St. Cuthbert never punished him for his evils."
    Ilda sighs sadly. "I don't owe my allegiance to any one god... but if it matters, that does not sound like a cleric of St. Cuthbert to me." She turns to Mithril. "How did you lose your friend?"

Current Map

9. - Top - End - #189

Ilda sighs sadly. "I don't owe my allegiance to any one god... but if it matters, that does not sound like a cleric of St. Cuthbert to me." She turns to Mithril. "How did you lose your friend?"
    "She...I...." Mithril looked down, stroking Whiskers. "I didn't see. We were breaking through the siege at Deldon and I had gone ahead. Once we got to the gates it was chaos, the dwarves rushing out to help get the supplies in while we defended the caravan. The Horde killed her. I don't know how or why she didn't flee. I just remember when they gave her body to the lava with the others who had fallen during the fight."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

"She...I...." Mithril looked down, stroking Whiskers. "I didn't see. We were breaking through the siege at Deldon and I had gone ahead. Once we got to the gates it was chaos, the dwarves rushing out to help get the supplies in while we defended the caravan. The Horde killed her. I don't know how or why she didn't flee. I just remember when they gave her body to the lava with the others who had fallen during the fight."
    "She does not sound foolish, or gullible, to me." Ilda replies solemnly. "She sounds brave."

She steps back. "My apologies for intruding, Mithril. Of course I should leave you to your prayers."

Current Map

11. - Top - End - #191

Griffon

"I understand the need for secrecy," Elynwena replies in a forgiving tone. "It's not as if I have shared any secrets with you."

As Rhenner turns to leave, she leans up and grabs his hand. "You are always welcome here, son. I hope you know that." Her eyes are as sincere as he's seen them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once Rhenner leaves, it will be easy to find either Natalia mid-conversation with Lander or Mithril in the chapel.
    He was not prepared for that. "I...", Rhenner stares back at Elynwena, then slowly puts a trembling hand over hers, "...thank you, Mother." The words are almost lost on the way, but he manages to usher them out. He stays there a moment longer, before turning away and making another attempt to the door.

Rhenner steps out of the room, closing the door behind him. For a some time he just stands there, leaning his back to the door for a bit of support. He realizes that his vision is blurry and quickly clears it. There was some important information, crucial even, maybe.. He needed to...

But there is so much noise in his head. So many matters, some logical and emotional, still trying to make themselves heard, all at the same time. So many... The troubled cleric rubs his forehead. He needed some place... some peace... to think... to...

He starts to make his way outside, and does eventually find the right door that gets him there. He has a vague idea of a temple that he sort of remembers and heads toward it, or so he thinks. Due to the state of his mind and the radical changes to the town he ends up walking the wrong way more than once before managing to locate the right building. Natalia and Lander (and anyone else who happens to be around) might notice the confused half-elf wander about, seeming more than a little out of this world.
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-09-16 at 06:20 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

12. - Top - End - #192

"Both, really. He had a flaming sword- a rather fearsome one. We sold it once we'd captured it," he adds sheepishly, "it wasn't as though any of us could pick it up."

He shakes his head. "Getting that much stone out here would cost a fortune- much less could we acquire any metal, in that quantity."
    Natalia grimaces as she looks at the wood again. It's strong, and well crafted, but fire giants are stronger.

"Traps?" he asks. "What kind do you mean?"

Spoiler
    Show

Note that as I've pointed out before, automated crossbow traps and the like are very ineffective in a siege defense. You'd much rather have the crossbow wielded by a guard, so it can be aimed and reloaded.

That doesn't mean no traps are possible. For example, you could contribute some of your firepowder and lay explosive traps in the woods around the village, although it would take a good amount of powder to be likely to trip people up (there isn't a single route in). You could also build them grenades, though of course that's dangerous for the walls.

Of course I'm open to other trap ideas from anyone OOC.
    "Well," she starts, but then falls silent and looks around at the wall again. This time she closes her eyes as she feels and grasps the wood and stone. "Maybe trap woods, funnel to strongest walls..." But once they're there? Small pits and crossbows won't work here, not when there are so many attacking, and so much to defend. Flamepowder bombs might work, but she doesn't have enough of it to last and there's no way to get more. Burning oil...no, not against fire giants, not if they're anything like fire dragons. Unless...

"Flame to frost," Natalia mutters to herself. She opens her eyes and turns to Lander. "Any mages here? Who...cast ice, water magic?" She doesn't notice Rhenner at that moment.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-09-16 at 06:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt wanders on his own, silent for a time as he examines the village, watching the people as they go about their lives, surrounded by a wooden barricade. Most of his youth was spent underground, so being enclosed in this way is barely different, but these people were raised with the forest as their playground - what must it be like for them to have to stay within the walls. That could explain why some might flee.

He finds himself too troubled by these thoughts, he finally seeks the refuge of the chapel, coming in right as Mithril finishes venting her frustrations to the beleaguered cleric, pausing on the doorstep before steeling his resolve and stepping over the threshold, going over to her side. "I didn't realise you had so much...anger about her." His own voice is tight as well, although with what emotion it's hard to identify.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Kurt wanders on his own, silent for a time as he examines the village, watching the people as they go about their lives, surrounded by a wooden barricade. Most of his youth was spent underground, so being enclosed in this way is barely different, but these people were raised with the forest as their playground - what must it be like for them to have to stay within the walls. That could explain why some might flee.

He finds himself too troubled by these thoughts, he finally seeks the refuge of the chapel, coming in right as Mithril finishes venting her frustrations to the beleaguered cleric, pausing on the doorstep before steeling his resolve and stepping over the threshold, going over to her side. "I didn't realise you had so much...anger about her." His own voice is tight as well, although with what emotion it's hard to identify.
    Mithril looked away from Kurt, tension evident in her face. "She was gone. Then you were. Everytime someone supported me or pulled me back they disappeared. Why do I get divine help and she didn't? She would have done good, I am just an agent of destruction."

15. - Top - End - #195

Natalia looks up, poking her head between two slats of thick lumber. Movement catches the corner of her eye and she whips around to see Rhenner aimlessly wandering about.

"Rhenner!" she shouts, waving him down. Why is he wandering about like that? He looks...dazed, almost. Like when you hit an animal in the head with a hammer just before the slaughter.

Spoiler
    Show
    because Rhenner needs a break and I really like where Mithril and Kurt's conversation is going. Speaking of which, Mithril expects Natalia to vanish next, doesn't she?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt looks down at his clenched fists with tight lips before he forcibly ejects the air from his lungs, easing the tension from his muscles as he does. He looks over at her. "Down in the dark...I could have used your help down there. Destruction was just what I needed. I wish I knew a better way of doing it than that..." He looks over at Mithril, breathing softly. "Do you think Miriam did?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

17. - Top - End - #197

Griffon

Natalia looks up, poking her head between two slats of thick lumber. Movement catches the corner of her eye and she whips around to see Rhenner aimlessly wandering about.

"Rhenner!" she shouts, waving him down. Why is he wandering about like that? He looks...dazed, almost. Like when you hit an animal in the head with a hammer just before the slaughter.

Spoiler
    Show
    because Rhenner needs a break and I really like where Mithril and Kurt's conversation is going. Speaking of which, Mithril expects Natalia to vanish next, doesn't she?
    Rhenner stops at the temple door and looks up in their general direction. He stands in place for a moment before starting to walk towards them. "Studying the wall", he says, it is more of a statement than a question. His gaze wanders up the wall and to Natalia and back to the wall again, without really focusing on either of them. It stops at Lander though, and is joined by a thoughtful frown. Rhenner studies the elf for a moment, then lets out a resigning sigh, "I'm almost certain that I should know who you are, and it would probably be better to politely pretend that I do. And yet I'm going to honestly but rudely admit that I don't. I apologise for that and ask if you could first kindly tell me that and then promise not to tell Alder about this. Or mother."

18. - Top - End - #198

Rhenner stops at the temple door and looks up in their general direction. He stands in place for a moment before starting to walk towards them. "Studying the wall", he says, it is more of a statement than a question. His gaze wanders up the wall and to Natalia and back to the wall again, without really focusing on either of them.
    Natalia nods, running a hand along the wood and stone again. "It good, but...wood burns. If had ice magic, then could make magic traps, fire to frost. Or water magic, quench flames."

It stops at Lander though, and is joined by a thoughtful frown. Rhenner studies the elf for a moment, then lets out a resigning sigh, "I'm almost certain that I should know who you are, and it would probably be better to politely pretend that I do. And yet I'm going to honestly but rudely admit that I don't. I apologise for that and ask if you could first kindly tell me that and then promise not to tell Alder about this. Or mother."
    Now Natalia turns to look at Rhenner. The glazed look on his face is even more obvious up close. Her brows furrow in concern. "This Lander. Remember? You...said me his name." She leans in and whispers to Rhenner, "You...okay?"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Rhenner stops at the temple door and looks up in their general direction. He stands in place for a moment before starting to walk towards them. "Studying the wall", he says, it is more of a statement than a question. His gaze wanders up the wall and to Natalia and back to the wall again, without really focusing on either of them. It stops at Lander though, and is joined by a thoughtful frown. Rhenner studies the elf for a moment, then lets out a resigning sigh, "I'm almost certain that I should know who you are, and it would probably be better to politely pretend that I do. And yet I'm going to honestly but rudely admit that I don't. I apologise for that and ask if you could first kindly tell me that and then promise not to tell Alder about this. Or mother."
    Lander sighs. "Ah, Alder had said you were back... it was some time ago that we met. You missed my wedding," he adds, not appearing to take it personally, "but Kraiyah did say she had written you about it. It's Lander." He reaches out his hand in greeting. "One of Girard's sons."

Spoiler
    Show

Important note to CWater: I now realized I've added a stepfather to Rhenner that wasn't in our original PM communications. I think it fits with the setting so I hope it's all right.

I'm naming Rhenner's (elvish) stepfather Girard; he married Elynwena not long after Rhenner's father died, 7 years ago. Rhenner has met them, but not since Girard married his mother.

If anything is inconsistent about Rhenner's enormous family tree, write it off to the party's memory

Current Map

20. - Top - End - #200

Kurt looks down at his clenched fists with tight lips before he forcibly ejects the air from his lungs, easing the tension from his muscles as he does. He looks over at her. "Down in the dark...I could have used your help down there. Destruction was just what I needed. I wish I knew a better way of doing it than that..." He looks over at Mithril, breathing softly. "Do you think Miriam did?"
    Mithril looked up at him, her face paling. "I never did really ask.... What happened after you cut the rope?" She left his second question unanswered, and the tension hanging.

21. - Top - End - #201

Lander sighs. "Ah, Alder had said you were back... it was some time ago that we met. You missed my wedding," he adds, not appearing to take it personally, "but Kraiyah did say she had written you about it. It's Lander." He reaches out his hand in greeting. "One of Girard's sons."

Spoiler
    Show

Important note to CWater: I now realized I've added a stepfather to Rhenner that wasn't in our original PM communications. I think it fits with the setting so I hope it's all right.

I'm naming Rhenner's (elvish) stepfather Girard; he married Elynwena not long after Rhenner's father died, 7 years ago. Rhenner has met them, but not since Girard married his mother.

If anything is inconsistent about Rhenner's enormous family tree, write it off to the party's memory
    Lander, Kraiyah, Girard, dozens of siblings and step siblings and adopted siblings...Natalia raises a hand and asks with some sheepishness, "Is there...family tree drawn?"

Spoiler
    Show
    for all of our sakes?

Also, lander was born before his father married rhenners mother, right?

22. - Top - End - #202

Griffon

Natalia nods, running a hand along the wood and stone again. "It good, but...wood burns. If had ice magic, then could make magic traps, fire to frost. Or water magic, quench flames."
    "Right, of course", Rhenner replies in a distant voice.

Now Natalia turns to look at Rhenner. The glazed look on his face is even more obvious up close. Her brows furrow in concern. "This Lander. Remember? You...said me his name." She leans in and whispers to Rhenner, "You...okay?"

Spoiler
    Show

"Alright, you're Lander. Sorry it's been...", he stops and rubbs his forehead, "a while. Sorry about the wedding too, afraid your's wasn't the only one I missed. Not that that would better my case exactly. Since you mention Kraiyah writing me- she's not here too, is she? -I assume that I didn't write back home then. I think I would have...", he tries to remember, but can't fish out this piece of information from the sea of memories, and in the end just shrugs, "Perhaps, I didn't. Do you mind if I ask when it was?" He finds it increasingly hard to focus on the conversation.

Lander, Kraiyah, Girard, dozens of siblings and step siblings and adopted siblings...Natalia raises a hand and asks with some sheepishness, "Is there...family tree drawn?"

Spoiler
    Show
    for all of our sakes?

Also, lander was born before his father married rhenners mother, right?
    "I'm not sure anyone was ever mad enough to try." Rhenner shakes his head, then presses a thumb to his forehead and squints his eyes as if he had a major headache. "Sorry. I don't think I'm really up for chatting. I need to find some... peace of mind."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

After a moment's tense silence, Kurt sighs and rubs the back of his head, recalling the moment he made the choice to cut the line. "It was dark and dirty. I didn't know what to expect really, but I knew you could survive without me but the others needed help. Now they've taken over for me, fighting to stop the slavers." There's a fierce pride in his voice when he thinks of what he managed with them.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204

After a moment's tense silence, Kurt sighs and rubs the back of his head, recalling the moment he made the choice to cut the line. "It was dark and dirty. I didn't know what to expect really, but I knew you could survive without me but the others needed help. Now they've taken over for me, fighting to stop the slavers." There's a fierce pride in his voice when he thinks of what he managed with them.
    "So they lived." Mithril looked up at the map of Eldgar, at all the places they had been. "Hilton will make a good leader, you taught him well. Or maybe he wanted to learn." But she knew that Kurt was wrong, they wouldn't have survived. The only reason that they did was due to Stefan fleeing and finding them.

"I am glad. Did you want to pray as well?"

25. - Top - End - #205

Natalia looks back and forth between the two stepbrothers. Rhenners never been like this, and it's worrying her. Soon it's too much, and she puts his hand on the cleric's shoulder, looking back to Lander and asking, "Sorry, but...want to hear more, but after?"

Then she walks with Rhenner over to the edge of the wall and turns towards him. She's clearly concerned. "Rhenner, what...wrong? Happened?"

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hilton needed a chance. A real one..." He looks around the temple curiously, the somewhat abstract quality to them confusing at first inspection.

"I wonder does Kord answer prayers? I came to find out if doing it here will help. At least it's away from the crowd of family."

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

As Natalia and Rhenner talk near the wall, and Kurt and Mithril ponder their prayers, the air is split by the sharp sound of a ringing bell.

"Raid!" comes the far cry of a guard. "Giants, to the north!"

Current Map

28. - Top - End - #208

Natalia's head snaps around at the alarm call. "Sorry, Rhenner!" She's off and running before the echoes are even able to fade, sprinting towards the north, or what she assumes is the north based on where everyone else is running, with a blade in one hand and a potion in the other.

Spoiler
    Show
    my test went well, I think.

Admiral, how long has it been since we teleported here? Would the low level clerics and Druids be able to cast buffs on us or give us potions?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-09-21 at 11:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Griffon

Natalia looks back and forth between the two stepbrothers. Rhenners never been like this, and it's worrying her. Soon it's too much, and she puts his hand on the cleric's shoulder, looking back to Lander and asking, "Sorry, but...want to hear more, but after?"

Then she walks with Rhenner over to the edge of the wall and turns towards him. She's clearly concerned. "Rhenner, what...wrong? Happened?"
    "What happened? What hasn't happened? The world is coming up with new ways to be mad as a daily habit it seems", Rhenner sighs and shakes his head, "Sometimes I wish I was back in my life three years ago, the world used to make sense then. Although, the reality would still be what it is, and eventually it would show somehow and then I wish I understood more what was happening." The look in his eyes is distant and he's not sure himself that what he says makes much sense. "Look", he continues rubbing his forehead, trying to focus, "it's-" He is cut off by the raised alarm.

As Natalia and Rhenner talk near the wall, and Kurt and Mithril ponder their prayers, the air is split by the sharp sound of a ringing bell.

"Raid!" comes the far cry of a guard. "Giants, to the north!"

Natalia's head snaps around at the alarm call. "Sorry, Rhenner!" She's off and running before the echoes are even able to fade, sprinting towards the north, or what she assumes is the north based on where everyone else is running, with a blade in one hand and a potion in the other.

Spoiler
    Show
    my test went well, I think.

Admiral, how long has it been since we teleported here? Would the low level clerics and Druids be able to cast buffs on us or give us potions?
    For a couple of seconds Rhenner is frozen in place, while the new information makes its way to be processed. But once it's registered, it gets granted highest priority and all other matters are promptly swept aside and told to shut up until further notice. Rhenner runs after Natalia. "Where are Mithril and Kurt?!"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

As the party runs out into the field, they see civilians darting into shelters, just as men and women with swords and bows emerge. Many seem resigned, as though this were a regular, and unsurprising, occurrence. The party is on the far southern side of the city, but they can see archers line up along the terrace to the north.

"I'll grab my bow," Lander shouts at the party as he steps back towards one of the guard towers. "-and we can meet at the wall. Don't worry- we've been through this-"

Suddenly one of the walls nearest them, the one on the southernmost side of the city, shudders as if struck. Moments later it shutters again, and a small burst of flame seems to break through, in a small chunk ten feet above the ground. Looking through the hole, the party can see a whirlwind of fire- but unlike the fire from the dragon or from a spell, this fire seems to have a stable form- that of a hulking beast. It has punched through the wall as if it were made of paper, and the edges of the hole are already alight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Time to roll initiative. Map upcoming. Natalia and Rhenner can see this happen, Mithril and Kurt are just a little bit farther but can reach it momentarily and can hear Rhenner and Natalia.

Current Map