New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play GenGame

Woo! \o/ (Yeah, we totally need more people editing the wiki.)

Incidentally: I'd argue that "GenGame" is a brand name of GenCo, having both Gen and Game capitalized (instead of "Gengame", which is for mediocre non-GenCo products).
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-07-23 at 12:42 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, I can roll with that. We've been pretty inconsistent with a lot of the capitalization, so I was kind of doing coin tosses on some of them to figure out which version was "official." I'll try and retroactively standardize it.
    "Actually I don't know how to write a post, I just write essays and put them on forums"
    Spoiler
    Show

"We have a visual on the ninja, he appears to be... coding? *gurk*"
    Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1
    All above pictures are Ceikatars!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Way i see it, one of three things will happen to CB.

1. He will die.

2. he will be yelled at by SM for useing her swords

3. he will become the CANDESCENCE BRINGER and lead an army of powerful LIGHTBEARS against their evil shadowy cousins.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post

1. He will die.

3. he will become the CANDESCENCE BRINGER and lead an army of powerful LIGHTBEARS against their evil shadowy cousins.
    He's totally going to become a GREEN BEARET.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

that only happens if you give him a gun.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

1. He will die.

4. Dance party!

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

His hands are turning white! either they are burning off and will crumble to dust soon, or the first of the legendary LIGHTBEARS shall rise again!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

...Or they're just illuminated by the glow and aren't actually altered at all. Or more likely they are in severe and burning pain which will be Reginald's struggle every time he must wield the SACRED SWORD.

What I want to see is Caddybear being the keeper of the sword, but because of his nature it still hurts him whenever he uses it, so he rarely does despite its great power. That way later we can have a climactic final battle (or similarly impressive battle) where Caddybear brings out the sacred sword after everyone forgot it existed and save the day. That'd be AWESOME and TOTALLY BADGEN.
    "Actually I don't know how to write a post, I just write essays and put them on forums"
    Spoiler
    Show

Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    ...Or they're just illuminated by the glow and aren't actually altered at all. Or more likely they are in severe and burning pain which will be Reginald's struggle every time he must wield the SACRED SWORD.

What I want to see is Caddybear being the keeper of the sword, but because of his nature it still hurts him whenever he uses it, so he rarely does despite its great power. That way later we can have a climactic final battle (or similarly impressive battle) where Caddybear brings out the sacred sword after everyone forgot it existed and save the day. That'd be AWESOME and TOTALLY BADGEN.
    Actually I was planning for the final battle to happen offscreen. But don't worry, you'll find out all about it when the copypasta'ed characters have a long conversation about it!

So I've been sitting on an idea for a little while, and I wanted to see how much interest there might be for it. I'm interested in doing an MSPA type storyline entirely in text, set in the gengame universe. The idea is that it would be about a kind of more, "Standard," round in GenGame, and most factors (classes, game types, etc.) would be determined pretty much by the readers. I wouldn't try to marry the two stories for each other either; they would each be their own thing. Kind of a Knights of the Old Republic type deal.

Now, obviously we haven't been updating the main comic as much as we should, but this wouldn't be a replacement or anything like that. A lot of the problems with the update schedule come from the two of us being in completely different time zones, and so the times I'd work on the b-story would be the most convenient times for me, i.e. the times I don't typically work on Gengame anyways.

If you're interested speak up!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

not sure how great it would go without any artwork, but i suppose you could give it a shot. Maybe draw a baisic black-and-white sketch of something that happens in it like in those mostly-text portions of Erfworld?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Woot!
    After having my internet access revoked for half the summer, I come back to find Gengame has grown awesomer!
    Glad to see we got the gen-fortress up during my absence.... almost imediatly after I went AWSN (Absent Without Sufficient Notification).
    Domo, sorry for having to ditch during.... but that's a secret. I shouldn't say.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

12. - Top - End - #72

not sure how great it would go without any artwork, but i suppose you could give it a shot. Maybe draw a baisic black-and-white sketch of something that happens in it like in those mostly-text portions of Erfworld?
    The thing is, part of what interests me about this is the challenge of making it work without images, as well as giving me little breaks/diversions from the requirements of comics writing. That and even what are traditionally considered, "Bad," drawings take a good amount of skill to be done in an appealing way, and my art skills aren't really up to that kind of scratch.

@Flabort: It's okay, he just had me do it. >.>

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

I was wondering who he'd get to do it....

I also wonder how long until one of our trio get back to the mechanofort.
    And if it's just me or is KB hiding something? his acute disbelief of females being online is just... something. We know SM and MG are actually girls, so KB is wrong, but... until they find what he's hiding, I guess we'll never know why he's so... "MANLY".
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Isin't it one of the rules of the internet that girls don't exist on the interent?

also; G.I.R.L.'s of MMO's:

Guy
    In
    Real
    Life
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, yeah. I figured it was the application of the meme "there are no girls on the internet" taken seriously. Not sure if he is compensating for something, if that is what you're edging at. He's probably just going by the old adage about the internet. "Men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents."
    Titles, Achievements, and Quotes of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Infernal Teamworker - City of Shadows Wondering if anyone is still checking this...
    Ruler of the City - City of Shadows Hello? Anyone there? PM me if you want the Color Code.
    The Fallen Chessmaster - Center WW I don't really see a reason to get rid of this.
    The Manipulative/The Opaque - Demons WW Its kind of neat.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

I, personally, LOVE the textventure idea. Could you do it? Pllleaase?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh snap, he did it! :O
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

First reply to new venture (detail on other site)
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

How bad is it for me to only just realize "Dues ex machena" as in dues, as in something you pay, as in funding. not as in do-es as in god (in the machine)

Dear dues i am slow.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2011-08-08 at 02:26 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    How bad is it for me to only just realize "Dues ex machena" as in dues, as in something you pay, as in funding. not as in do-es as in god (in the machine)

Dear dues i am slow.
    Dyslexic puns? Deus ex machina has the E before the U (and it's two syllables: day-oos), dues has the U before the E (and it's just one syllable: dewz).
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

i always pronounce it du-ezz, so i spelled it dues.

like thunt says i guess, "deuz ex mispronouncia"
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

The good thing about misspellings like this is what possibilities they create, just by existing.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    The good thing about misspellings like this is what possibilities they create, just by existing.
    Indeed, anyone up for a game of Genmage?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Negmage is fun to play; though whiners will complain it's overpowered.

But negating all your opponents' stuff is so cool...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

I once had a whole magical item created as a result of a misspelling. Someone wrote "glas" with one 's,' so I made it a powerful Glas, which, when a slice of pizza was inserted into it, it would fire lasers randomly about the room.

...What? Okay, so it was just in Guess the Number and I didn't have any of those pesky rules to deal with since I literally built the game as I went along, but still! The point is that the potential power of misspellings is limitless!

(Damn, now I kinda want to start Guess the Number back up...)
    Spoiler
    Show

Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey Domo, you should change/add links in the first post so that it takes you to the comic ID where the GitP threads left off. I just referenced some people to the comic from the beginning recently and have had reports that finding the current comic when they shift from the thread-archives to the site is a little jarring, and that it's a rather lot of bother to go find the seam point.

It would if nothing else be a handy tool.

EDIT: On a similar note, I was going through the wildwestsifi archives to find the link for you to post, and it's rather hard to do. The only way to index them is to go through manually or magically master the ID numbers. Seriously, I'd swear they were randomly generated if they didn't proceed in ascending order. I've seen the number the ID jumps each comic range from twenty to four. Is there a pattern here? A way to predict it? Is it time-based?

Could you try making an index page where all the comics are listed out, or at least a way to reference them by date? Trying to maneuver the site is kinda awkward right now and could really use a tune-up.

Not to downplay how awesome it is already (and to be honest, it has a lot of advantages over a GitP thread, and some inherent awesome in being able to claim it as our own site for GenGame; I'm trying really hard not to sound whiny) but these seem like relatively simple fixes to implement that would be well worth the time. If you're having trouble because of the way it's hosted, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help you reprogram it.

EDIT2: I found the permanent link to the bridge-comic. Someone was smart and conviniently named it [b]GenGame: SHIFT into the next PHASE[b] and put a link to it at the end of the second thread. Yeah, feeling stupid now... (Actually, I was looking for a facepalm smiley, but The Giant hasn't made one yet. Get on it, Rich Burlew!)
    Last edited by Slartibartfast; 2011-08-13 at 01:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey Domo, you should change/add links in the first post so that it takes you to the comic ID where the GitP threads left off. I just referenced some people to the comic from the beginning recently and have had reports that finding the current comic when they shift from the thread-archives to the site is a little jarring, and that it's a rather lot of bother to go find the seam point.
    Added it as "The Shift" to the Pages menu. Also: Woo, references! \o/

But seriously. Link in the last post of the thread.

EDIT: On a similar note, I was going through the wildwestsifi archives to find the link for you to post, and it's rather hard to do. The only way to index them is to go through manually or magically master the ID numbers. Seriously, I'd swear they were randomly generated if they didn't proceed in ascending order. I've seen the number the ID jumps each comic range from twenty to four. Is there a pattern here? A way to predict it? Is it time-based?
    I suspect it's just about random. Any edit/drafts, posts and attachments are counted by their global ID. So any activity increases it. A somewhat minor side effect of how the thing works.

However: What about the search button to the right? All updates have tags attached that should make it easier to find stuff.

Could you try making an index page where all the comics are listed out, or at least a way to reference them by date? Trying to maneuver the site is kinda awkward right now and could really use a tune-up.
    A post calendar has been added to the right. Doesn't differentiate between GenGame/Showdown/News, though.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

I'm not sure what causes this. It would usually jump by 5-ish when I was putting everything up on there, which seemed to do more with my carrying out all the steps perfectly than any other factor, so it probably has to do with how the site creates/indexes the different pages.

An archive/index page would probably be a good idea, though. It's enough work that it wouldn't be a near future option, however.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-08-13 at 06:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, I completely missed the search bar (User Error) but it still only helps if you can recall enough of the text from the episode. The calendar is nice, and it should work, at least for now. It provides the ability to move reliably and quickly back through time, which is nice and functional.

I totally believe that programming an index page would be too much work, because you would reasonably want to make self-generating which involves a certain level of activation energy.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Just noticed that the URL a date format option for using the calendar. Slick; that will make things way easier for when this comic has a hugenormous archive, at least for those of us willingly to manually edit the URL. Which is everyone.
    Last edited by Slartibartfast; 2011-08-17 at 07:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Glee! Limited Genworks is awesometacular! I'd pay for a background image of that!

((wanders towards Domo's commish page...))
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!