New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge In The Playground XXIX

I had a variety of ideas that did not make it into my build.

One of them was a Druidic Avenger with the Unseelie Fey template that took some Fangsheilds Druid substitution levels for Wild Shape Hands (Two-Hander in Polar Bear form FTW!) then some Frenzied Berzerker levels using Ordered Chaos. I nixed that because it didn't really use Consecrated Harrier.

The other one had something to do with Invisible blade and the Bluff bonuses. I thought the improved Feint would be cool. Still, I was not sure if the Dagger Sneak Attack would face the same restrictions as Sneak Attack does with Consecrated Harrier. Plus, it was feat hungry and very one-trick pony-ish.

The third idea was something that I did not explore deeply. I wanted to find a way to burn spells off the Consecrated Harrier that would give me combat bonuses, then stack it on a combat build. I know Arcane Strike wouldn't work, but I was going to look for something else.

I did manage to submit something, but it was none of the above.
    "What is Sanity? Madness put to good use. What is our waking life? A dream controlled."
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

I thought about doing a Mongrelfolk Ardent2 (pain and suffering, guardian, and life mantles)/4 ranger/10 Consecrated Harrier/4 Martyred Champion of Ilmater
    using steadfast determination and other useful survival feats. Hunting down loviatar's minions.

It was very tempting thematically. But no matter what I did, I was just left with a guy who gets beat up. Beat up in cool ways, but beat up nonetheless.

Sidenote: anyone else besides me suspect that Loviatar and Ilmater were shacked up together somewhere during the time of troubles having a little bit of an S&M session? I mean almost all the other Gods have stories accounting for their whereabouts... but Loviatar mistress of pain and consummate Sadist , along with Ilmater, God of martyrs and those who suffer for the sake of others, a consummate masochist, were both mysteriously unaccounted for...

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

There were two Factotum entries, but they were different enough that it could be missed.

I'm rather surprised no-one tried my first idea, which was some form of Ninja/Paladin with the Serenity feat to get Wisdom to AC, Saves, Smites, Healing, and Turning.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

My initial idea was an anthropomorphic Dog called Rusty, hunter of the vile Catfolk, with a Crusader base and City Slicker for Entry requirements.

Second was a Changeling hunter of Doppelgangers, using Locate City and some of the feats from the Locate City Bomb to damage everyone in the city, so that you could use level 8 Consecrated Harrier to find them.

Alas, time and the inherent sillyness of the ideas stopped me
    "No Anti-Magic field ever stopped a pouncing Barbarians Great Club"

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

I appear to be a pixie. I knew I overflowed with natural charisma

Nooo! I have fallen to being a mere halfling! Guess I'll....umm.....throw things....and bemoan my favored class.....

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah I was trying to figure out some variation of a locate city bomb that worked through walls and such, and just bomb entire towns looking for the rebels. I didn't have the time to work it out, and I think I would have had to use psionics to make it work, and I'm not as good at psionics as I used to be.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    I thought about doing a Mongrelfolk Ardent2 (pain and suffering, guardian, and life mantles)/4 ranger/10 Consecrated Harrier/4 Martyred Champion of Ilmater
    using steadfast determination and other useful survival feats. Hunting down loviatar's minions.

It was very tempting thematically. But no matter what I did, I was just left with a guy who gets beat up. Beat up in cool ways, but beat up nonetheless.

Sidenote: anyone else besides me suspect that Loviatar and Ilmater were shacked up together somewhere during the time of troubles having a little bit of an S&M session? I mean almost all the other Gods have stories accounting for their whereabouts... but Loviatar mistress of pain and consummate Sadist , along with Ilmater, God of martyrs and those who suffer for the sake of others, a consummate masochist, were both mysteriously unaccounted for...
    So, you almost made Mick Foley?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    So, you almost made Mick Foley?
    AHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!

Actually, yes... he would of been very Mick Foley... but without the identity crisis (Cactus Jack, Dude Love, Mankind, Jack Foley, ect.).

IF I had thought about that similarity, I definitely would have changed the story to do a Mick Foley tribute. Somehow, his utter lack of power becomes acceptable in the face of sheer LOLs.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

After much consideration, I'm going to nominate Mayael for Honorable Mention. I seriously considered Griblax, but the story for Mayael sold me.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

My honourable mention goes to Cassius Humatiel...I have a soft spot for the Lumi, and my build would have been based on a Lumi as well.

AHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!

Actually, yes... he would of been very Mick Foley... but without the identity crisis (Cactus Jack, Dude Love, Mankind, Jack Foley, ect.).

IF I had thought about that similarity, I definitely would have changed the story to do a Mick Foley tribute. Somehow, his utter lack of power becomes acceptable in the face of sheer LOLs.
    Foley is one of my all time favourites...a build with a Foley inspired backstory would have been truly awesome!

10. - Top - End - #220

Imp

I vote Thorik Stonetooth for honorable mention.
    Solid melee with nice combat options and good background story and theme.

But it was tough as hell to decide.

Even taking my own entries out of the picture (because voting for yourself feels weird) there were still about 6 of the builds I really liked the feel of.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    Yeah I was trying to figure out some variation of a locate city bomb that worked through walls and such, and just bomb entire towns looking for the rebels.
    Exactly my first thought as well! Widened Locate City that does 1 damage to all, no save, is what I tried but didn't find. Then moved on to some sort of nightmare haunter, because it affects a target from unlimited range. But none of the ideas made it into an actual build.

I did however had one build, but no time to work it out:

Bhuka Beguiler 5/Sentinel of Bharrai 5/Consecrated Harrier 10

Beguiler is the sneaky type, Sentinel of Bharrai (BoED) gives track and bear shape at will and both mesh well with the harrier, making it a LG bearman-tracker gish with beguiler and ranger spells. The Bhuka (Sandstorm) gives Knowledge(Nature) as a class skill and toghether with the beguiler, all PrC entry skills are class skills. Furthermore, the bear forms would enhance tracking with scent, while the harrier doesn't have survival as class skill.

Edit:Also crossed my mind: Druid 5/Planar Sheppard5/Harrier 10 = planar ranger revised. Just for the lolz of it.
    Last edited by Garwain; 2012-02-06 at 05:21 AM.
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Hunts for Fharlagn (sp?), a god of travel. Hunts farlagns enemies.
    The correct spelling is "Farlangananananafhtagn".

Also, thanks for the synopsis. Helps keep track of all the different builds and stories. I was seriously tempted to fire up Excel just in an effort to remember all the builds, heh.

My other (purely fluff) idea was some sort of centaur ranger/bloodhound/harrier. I couldn't find any way to make him worthwhile though, so it's probably a good idea I dropped it.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

13. - Top - End - #223

BlackDragon

Ouch...That's a lot of builds....glad I decided to enter, and not judge.

Mad props to anyone that manages to complete judging for all 17 before next year

*FyreByrd goes to read all the other builds*
    Avatar(that seems to have disappeared) by Darwin

14. - Top - End - #224

Noob question: in each Iron Chef thread there are tons of pages. It is a bit hard (if one has not followed the competition) to locate the winning builds. Is there a place where they are all stored? Like a hall of fame.

So far we have had 28 IC, so x3 + 1 (honourable mention) entries. That's a 4*28 hall of fame. 112 entries.

O.
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

HM was only the last few. Also no we don't have an organized hall of fame, but if you ask Ponies his spreadsheet is close enough.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2012-02-06 at 04:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Coupla options:

Usually the chairman is thoughtful enough to link all the builds in each opening post. So it's easy to jump to the end of the competition, find the winners, jump to the start, and click on the links you want.

And then, OMG_PONIES has been maintaining a fairly in-depth (at least, so we've been told ) Excel spreadsheet cataloging just about everything from these competitions. Ask (via PM) and ye shall receive.

And then, there IS actually a hall of fame thread floating around here somewhere, but it hasn't been updated in ages as far as I know, and it kinda got lost with the forum reshuffling a while back. EDIT: Here it is.

Hmm... perhaps we should start it up again?
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2012-02-06 at 04:45 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    And then, OMG_PONIES has been maintaining a fairly in-depth (at least, so we've been told ) Excel spreadsheet cataloging just about everything from these competitions. Ask (via PM) and ye shall receive.
    No no, he does. I got him to email me it, and...its very thorough. I'm still trying to parse through all the info and attempt cosmetic changes. However my knowledge of excel-fu is weak so didn't add much to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

The beauty of this time builds is incomparable.

I didn't make up in time with anything of interest, but my general idea was a mix between Léon and Altair, crossbow user (heavy for range, hand for mayem), careful planner and fear spanner.

Factotum 5 / Fighter 2 / Consecrated Harrier 10 / Exotic Weapon Master 3.

The main trick: hit everyone around, use a wall shield (standard: make a sphere of ectoplasmic wall) and terminate everyone with phase bolts in conjunction with seeking crossbows + implacable hunt).

The side trick: intimidate optimization.

The bad thing: the build was item related, not class related, and partly unoriginal.

...and, postumously, way inferior to the majority of what I've seen

Good luck to everyone!

19. - Top - End - #229

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Usually the chairman is thoughtful enough to link all the builds in each opening post. So it's easy to jump to the end of the competition, find the winners, jump to the start, and click on the links you want.
    They're linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    There were so many entries to keep track of this round so I made a quick list run down of all the entries. Let me know if I made a mistake.
    Could you reduce each of those down to a single line, please? Giving more detailed explanations of some than of others gives the appearance of a bias.
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2012-02-06 at 09:09 AM.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Could you reduce each of those down to a single line, please? Giving more detailed explanations of some than of others gives the appearance of a bias.
    A little like this?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'm judging and have made it through the first four submissions, but work has been absolutely crazy. I'm glad we have until the 18th to post our judgement, or I'm not sure I could finish!
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
    Noob question: in each Iron Chef thread there are tons of pages. It is a bit hard (if one has not followed the competition) to locate the winning builds. Is there a place where they are all stored? Like a hall of fame.

So far we have had 28 IC, so x3 + 1 (honourable mention) entries. That's a 4*28 hall of fame. 112 entries.

O.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    HM was only the last few. Also no we don't have an organized hall of fame, but if you ask Ponies his spreadsheet is close enough.
    Not quite correct, we did have an IC Hall of Fame thread under Shinken but, well...

Also, Honorable Mentions are a fairly recent thing, so not quite that many entries. I'd say we're closer to 80-90 placed entries.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Also, Honorable Mentions are a fairly recent thing, so not quite that many entries. I'd say we're closer to 80-90 placed entries.
    Quite right, good sir. We've had 89 placed entries in Iron Chef history. A few things factored into this number:
    • The bronze medal didn't exist until round XIV. In round I, there were 3 placed entries since there was a tie for silver, but rounds II-XIII only saw 2 placed entries each.
    • Honorable mention was [unofficially] started in round XIII due to chairman error in not posting a build. The new chairman picked it up and ran with it, starting in round XIV.
    • There have been a few rounds where no honorable mention was posted by the chairman: rounds XVI and XXI, to be exact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thorik Stonetooth get's my HM vote, really nice idea for a build, and backstory i think ties it lovely together

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

My laptop melted on me the night before the builds were due, so I'm just a spectator this round.

I had a Dwarven Fighter (Thug) Battlesmith who could use a combo of Vile spells like Love's Pain to inflict damage on the target anywhere on the same plane of existence and thus activate the Implacable Hunt without ever encountering the target. Pity.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Hey Amp, would you be able to link the builds to the OP? Also, do we know who is competing here? Sorry to ask questions, I was hoping to create a build, but RL issues got in the way and I wasn't able to come up with any ideas.

On a completely unrelated note, I have an idea for the next SI, Thrall of Graz'zt from BoVD. Slightly more than half-casting with some other abilities that might work with others offered from different classes appears to be the ideal SIs for this competition.
    Best comment I've heard in a D&D game:

Our bard after succeeding in 2 4e grapple checks to slam a female opponent who kind of looks like Ayn Rand:

"I JUST POWERBOMBED AYN RAND!"

28. - Top - End - #238

Imp

I would personally like to see Urban Soul (RoD), Shadowbane Inquisitor (CAd), Shadowbane Stalker (CAd), and Ashworm Dragoon (SS) in a Iron Chef competition sometime b4 I die .

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I'd like to see Urban Soul too. Also, other I've mentioned in the past: Shadowblade (ToM) or Dragon Disciple (DMG).

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

A friend of mine sabotaged my attempt to finish off my entry for this competition by gifting me WH40k: Dawn of War 2 and both expansions.

Which actually gave me a silly concept for this PrC which ends in "FOR THE EMPRAH!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora