New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1133
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Danielle

She had about been to discuss the etymology of 'Ma'am' but thougth better of it ... Erica likely didn't care.

At the least she could afford drink the other woman had ordered which was a small mercy, the Ventrue were dealers and brokers and she did not want a second debt to them this night - or any night really, and it was easier to pay for two than separately - it looked better to the bartender also, water and cranberry juice wouldn't break the bank and a tip made a good impression, fifteen no twenty percent it would show they weren't just loitering so that they could be left alone.

"Thank you" she added her tone politely implying that they were good and that he was not needed for conversation.

How was everything, oh well better then last night because I put someone in the hospital, and by madness is getting more helpful, it would be swell to know where Desmund is, and gosh if Amy's Yuri problem sorted it self that would be peachy, ran through her head sarcastically "I am not sure how to answer that, I have good days and bad ones since the accident" and my accident she meant the deliberate murder of her by a boy that her knew society allowed to roam free.

"How are you finding your new job, other then the late hours" she returned.

Actually Erica had given her a great idea if she could figure out the practicalities of it, dominate girl indeed, it had flaws but less of them than her other plans, and mixed Amy advice nicely into it without the pure horror.

"Have you adapted to the cranberry diet yet?" she followed up with, she might have an idea on handling blood better again actually, if not it might be worth an agreement on her idea.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

“The job is okay,” she replied, “but with the hours, it’s tough to find time to eat. Luckily, my job has a program where if you work late enough, they’ll buy dinner for you.”

This is so stupid, I wish we could talk normally.

“The cranberry juice is okay, I guess,” she said, “tonight I graduated to stronger vintage for the first time since that night.”

She glanced at Danielle, fully expecting the gesture to not be returned.

“How about you?” she asked, raising her glass to her lips and facing forward again.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2013-06-06 at 02:27 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

She wasn't comfortable, but she shrugged without looking at the other woman - acting as if she was reading the bottles behind the counter.

"The stronger the Cranberry concentration the more trouble there is with acquiring it", still the taste was nice "thought likely worth the difficulty for the right bottle".

Ok your plan is odd and off putting, but it is also the best one you have ... and she might be better for putting it into action then you "on the job meals ..." the implication hit her hard as she stopped in mid sentence "... it is a nice perk?" it sounded like a question, but she composed herself again.

"But would you not prefer prepare your own meals ... pay your own way as it were?" it was toned politely she didn't want to insult the other woman ... but it was perhaps overly blunt.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"It makes the adjustment easier," she said, "but it's a limited offering. Plus I don't like relying on someone else for my meals, if that's what you're asking."

Erica swirled the juice in her glass, much as she had done the first night they had all been Embraced. The fruit juice pooled cleanly at the bottom of the glass, sliding easily off the sides, unlike the drink she'd held that night.

"I'm thinking finding cranberry juice once isn't a problem, but finding it consistently over the long term could be an issue," she said.

Erica frowned, the metaphor was starting to break down.

"I figure, the more glasses I handle, the greater the chance I accidentally drink out of someone else's," she said, "or worse, drop a glass and break it; all it takes is one slip, and the party's over."

"Does that make sense?" she asked, a faint smile on her lips.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2013-06-06 at 09:55 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Was the blood from earlier driving her on, making her bolder then she would be otherwise ... it was a worrying thought, as that seemed to be the crux of Desmund's issues, boldness.

It was better to keep her head down ... but she wasn't sure that was working either.

"Well ... I believe that I may have the basis for a ... steady supply, assuming that time and effort were maintained", she was not talking about the charity this was a more elegant solution yet dirty in its elegance - did that metaphor even make sense she chastised herself blunt, simple, offensive the first two were wrong the third was right but shouldn't be used with elegance - but her mind was wondering, "or truth be told the skill set as of yet".

"Perhaps we should take a corner table to discuss things more privately", she suggested. Part of the reason for the hotel was because there would be people present but not to many and that they would be open late, it ensured public privacy in a way.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

Erica nodded, picked up her glass, and walked to the corner booth.

She was right, Danielle had come to the same conclusion, probably weeks earlier, since she'd had to fend for herself from the beginning. The fact that it was an issue even for the primogen meant that it was likely an issue for all kindred society.

What's with the stiff language though? She's being guarded, duh.

Once at the booth, she sat down and crossed her legs casually.

"Look," Erica said, "this isn't a job interview, you can talk to me straight; I'm really hard to offend. The way I see it, we're all kinda in the same boat anyway."

Except you chose to get on. She didn't have a choice, did she? Can't remember...
    TC for short

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Amy hadn't really gotten it, but Erica might, she shrugged.

"Lets say" she paused "lets say for a second that our situation is a job. You are the personal assistant to one of the members of the board, and I am an intern that was hired by someone without the permission to do so ... and only retained as a ... " she paused again thinking of the word needed "as an obvious security breach to attract the interest of competitors", she hoped the woman got the general idea.

"Now if the PA to a board member was known for exercising authority on people outside the company - it may make sense for them to test the limits of that authority on the intern", that metaphor got kindof muddled she shook her head, "were you the intern would you not be reserved in any meeting that occurred?", she considered "no offense intended of course".

Well she had asked for straight talk and in a public space that possibly counted.

She considered the problems she had listed to Amy; secrecy, security, control, reputation, consistency these were the things that one needed for the blood if you didn't want to have to have issue with dangerous situations.
    Further her charity needed connections, support, influential backing and how she had an idea that secured all of that.

"Regardless I have a proposal" or a least bad option "though little way of achieving it at present. Essentially in our industry supply of juice is better held in such a way that secrecy, security, control, reputation and consistency are maintained. Ideally while providing a community benefit".

Time to be blunt she hadn't found a way of working it without it being vile but needs must, "I may have a way for both, namely there are consistently stories in the media of politicians and senior ranking members of industry and city infrastructure visiting clandestine areas to allow themselves to relinquish control" hopefully the other woman would understand the meaning and see the benefits. Namely that the guests would accept anything that happened and would be more interested in secrecy then the dead - ensuring an easy steady supply of blood with influential people backing as a perk.

"Hopefully my meaning is clear. Unfortunately while I have some thoughts for people" working with certain bodies was beneficial at times, "I currently lack the personality to but in place the system" but if control is your thing you might be able to assist if I can arrange clientele.

Now she only had to see if the other woman could ignore the human revulsion of the plan and concentrate on the vampiric pragmatism - and didn't just take the plan and run with it without her - but she had to risk that anyway.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

Erica blinked. The girl talked like... like she didn't know what.

"Wow, you've clearly put some thought into this," she said.

"I'm just curious though, what the hell did you do before your... accident?" she asked.

"And for the record, I didn't want to 'exercise authority' on anyone; I didn't have much of a choice," she said, using her fingers for quotes, "the whole thing was about to fall apart, and I definitely wasn't going to let that happen, not when I could realistically keep it from happening, anyway."
    TC for short

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

She shrugged at the mention of thought put into it this idea had only really hit her when she thought of the word dominate but the core issues the plan solved had been being considered for a while - and now that she had a taste of blood she had no intention of going mad from lack of it.
    She was already mad enough with her imaginary friends.

"When you try to keep you head down and your mouth shut you get time to think about things" she muttered.

Before - why was she interested, she did she care. But what was the harm "I was in school, made some money in places like this on the piano" and places much less nice than this, "translated documents for people in the public buildings into a variety of languages as needed. Cheaper to pay a student than hire a professional, especially since a lot of professionals might only speak the two languages and have a political leaning for there specific group" something I avoided, "was involved in missing person groups canvassing, questioning, consoling on phones etc" that last she was poor enough at which was a snag in her free blood plan also she admitted "and did some martial arts" she finished, Erica had no need to know that her mother was in a very good job also and that she could have a high quality education, she smiled without mirth "and that's all gone now".

She looked around her and waiting for the music to get loader.

Her voice low and fast "from what I heard you convinced hardened criminals turn themselves in and speak about the boss, despite that many of them might done jail time to avoid that. Thereby if there boss is aware of your operations and can exert his own authority he is now aware of you, further the odd nature of the situation ensures that a certain third party may now know who your organisation is targeting, allowing for a potential merger of the two groups against you", us really she paused "all done despite that at the end the police were called and could have been called at the beginning to deal with it, as the targets would likely have surrendered", shootouts with police were bad business, and now that she thought about it would likely have solved Amy's Yuri problem she shrugged "sorry I wasn't there and there is likely a lot I am missing, but that is the word on the street" or at least on my street "you likely know better than me", cope yourself on Danielle she doesn't need someone she has been told is trash to her critising her.

"Sorry I tend to ramble when I don't remember to keep my mouth shut. If I could ask what did you do before the job?".

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

Erica Lee

Damn, I completely forgot about that nut-job who's after Danielle. Idiot. He could be watching us right now.

"Huh, no kidding," Erica said, "I play the violin. Never for money though. At least not yet. How many languages do you speak?"

She leaned in closer, mirroring Danielle's movements.

"Yeah, you weren't there. I did what I had to do under the circumstances," Erica replied plainly, "though things might have gone smoother if you were there. Maybe."

She thought back to the ridiculously complicated and ill-conceived plan they executed that night.

"Yeah, it definitely would have gone better if you were there," she said.

Erica sighed and shook her head, leaning back in her seat again, glass in hand.

"Anyway, they still have martial arts classes at night, you know, at the YMCA," she said, "so it's not all gone."

"As for me, I worked for JP Morgan, fx trading, commodities," she said, "before that, I worked for the SEC straight out of school, forensic accounting, tracking down fraud, that sort of thing."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2013-06-07 at 12:01 PM.
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

"The violin is a nice instrument, Jascha Heifetz was a master" she smiled lightly she enjoyed the music. Then sobered the woman can probable read people fairly well - and was trying to soften her so that she would drop her guard or you are judging her based on half a conversation with Amy on an event you were not there for safer to keep it up anyway.

"Five languages, English and a few others, mostly European" with one recent exception she was happy to have picked up in the last year and a half.

She didn't really know if it would have gone better had she been there, she was supposed to defer to others and they were supposed to ignore her, and thinking about things after the fact often made the realities on the ground seem odd.

The YMCA, it was possible but no "I am more at a competition level, or I was at least, and the joy of tiring yourself out with exercise is gone anyway".

So the woman had a successful life ahead of her "impressive" she mumbled she had an overall understanding of finance - but the specifics still escaped her something to work on "I am not great with ages are you in your late twenties?" to have moved between big companies at that age and in an upward motion was not easy - but than she wasn't sure she had to knowledge to be sure it was an upward motion, wait a thought occurred to her "why are you in Havensworth, surely a large city would be better, New York or even London?" those were the main ones in the paper weren't they? dammit she couldn't remember.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Erica Lee

"Holy crap, where'd you learn to speak that many languages? Did you move around a lot?" she asked, "wait, you wouldn't happen to know Portuguese, would you?"

Erica regarded the young woman, barely more than a child, really, across from her: driven, calculating, intelligent... she reminded her of herself perhaps six or seven years ago, in the midst of those all-important milestones of life determination. Her memories of that time were a blur of single-minded determination, her own burning goals the driving force behind every late night and missed outing. She wondered what drove Danielle to achieve so much at such an early age.

"Twenty-five," she replied, "I spent seven plus years in New York, school, internship, then work, until I was referred by a former professor for a much more senior role at a smaller firm, out of Havensworth. They flew me out for the job interview, and they... they made me an offer."

Her voice faltered for just a second as she realized she'd made a choice where others may have had that choice made for them. Then again, if she'd refused, what would Josef have done? Probably dominated her and made her forget, then send her on the next plane back to New York. Then again, he might have killed her. It was tough to say when things like the Masquerade were involved.

Would Danielle care that I had a choice?

"Not that I'm rich or anything like that," she added, "I had massive student loans, so I'm basically just getting back to zero now."

"But you know, I knew all the good places in Manhattan, but I don't know Havensworth one bit," she said, "and a girl's got to eat, after all, so tell me about this idea."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2013-06-07 at 01:28 PM.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

She considered, Al knew who her mother was so therefore did the rest of society if they wanted to know, so there was no direct harm in sharing, "Mom is from France so I was thought french as a first language along with English, she knew Spanish and German - it can be useful to speak a few to increase publication count or to ensure funding from international bodies. I learned Chinese myself - thought the traditional Mandarin alphabet I am still weak on, it was to broaden my base rather then be fixated on European languages and it is a major power or soon will be at any rate ... and the Chinese community has a number of missing people cases where poor families cant get the police to listen", she shrugged, "if I hadn't went with that I would have went Japanese, Russian, Arabic and maybe Portuguese - I see promise in Brazil, actually that is a lie, the more trustworthy newspapers tell me there is promise in Brazil and I don't know enough to call them on it", she moved her head to work out an imagined crick in it "though learning Latin has an appeal now".

"So they flew you out her to trap you before you went to far" it was intended as a compliment, she had good time for her mother and heaps of respect tenured with a professorship in university at forty with two children no father and much personal tragedy and noted as being highly regarded in her field for over a decade, but at twenty five other then her children her life was not as advanced as Erica's was, the Ventrue did seek competent driven people it seemed.

"Ok the idea is fairly blunt and messy so some background. Animal blood won't work, I suspect that dead blood also won't, attacking people on the street is dangerous enough to be suicidal in the long run - mistakes will be made if nothing else, killing people it out" she stressed the word "picking up people in clubs - I frankly don't know how - but ignoring that there is the concern that they will talk, become infatuated, start visiting the same clubs to meet you again etc. No the best plan is simple controlled food from willing people - but relinquishing control is dangerous, and frankly distasteful".

She considered the remainder was equally distasteful in its own way, "the actual plan is also distasteful but less dangerous than any alternative I have considered. Domination - human kink" rather than immortal power "the people wish to remain secretive, they wish to relinquish control allowing you full control, those that engage seem to be powerful influential people - if the media can be believed - exactly the kind of people our employers might want on hand easily and who might be useful for favours whether willingly or at risk of mortal exposure. You get a food bank, connections to potential mortal power players, secrecy assured, personal resources, vetting of clients" she stopped herself now that it was said aloud the reality hit her how twisted her mind was for the taste of blood and the feeling of security - maybe starvation was better, had she been alive she would have been blushing from embarrassment.

She continued but shakily "now I have some contacts that might be able to drum up business if needed" there were powerplayers in a lot of the circles she moved in at a low level - and some of them seemed creepy enough for that, "what I don't know is how to make it happen", wait the Ventrue needed specific blood she had forgotten "or if the kinds of ambitious people that I would hope to target - would suit your needs".

"Now the plan is ... frankly sickening, but all the alternatives seem from a practical prospective worse" she finished.

Wow Danielle way to give the impression of being a dead freak, no wonder caitiff are regarded as trash if this is the kind of sick concept you come up with for some slice of power or control she chided herself.

"Actually having said it aloud that might be more messed up than I can stomach as well" she sounded somewhat defeated, the pragmatism and logic was sound - it was the human element that was faulty to it - and the fact that she had little idea on how to establish the plan, still it seemed better than the others - and until she thought of something better that could be established quickly she would have to consider it at least.

Trying to put the creepy behind her she attempted to change the subject "did you have a choice?", or should that be do you know if you had a choice?.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Hmm, okay," Erica replied.

Don't start talking about politics, you'll be here all night.

"They flew me out here because..." Erica started, "well, I think they've been keeping their eye on me ever since... for a long time."

As Danielle started talking, Erica glanced around to make sure nobody was paying attention to them, or deliberately not paying attention to them. The conversation was getting dangerous if it were overheard.

At first, she couldn't connect the dots, but then it was like a light turned on.

"Oh, _that_ domination," she said, "you had me confused for a sec."

She pursed her lips and sighed through her nose in thought, habit from her days as a mortal.

"It's not that messed up," Erica replied, "I mean, it kinda is, but I've heard people lamenting the fact we can't replicate meat packing plants... plus that's basically how I got mine tonight. Well, the guy didn't know what I was doing, but he definitely enjoyed it."

She smirked.

"Problem is, people care about people in power," she said, "they're always in the paper, plus it would be newsworthy if like, a normal ring of S&M people were suddenly exposed. Add the two together, and it'd be a scandal of epic proportions. And then we're screwed. Plus, letting people know what's going on and having a choice means risking everything if someone else gets some leverage on them and convinces them to talk."

She shook her head.

"I don't think the higher-ups will go for it," she said, "and if you don't have the green light from them, it's gonna be tough. I have an idea of my own though, maybe you could help out, but I need to see if it's feasible first."

"But there's a bigger problem," she said, leaning forward again, "what do you plan to do about that freak who's after you?"
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2013-06-07 at 09:16 PM.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Ah green light from the higher ups honestly she had not even considered asking permission, just go with it and see if it sticks. Different view from within the castle she guessed.

"Well ideally I wouldn't want the media starts and judges, just the paper pushers that actually run the show all the power and ambition none of the grief ... not media attractive but fully convinced they might be later" she mumbled, she was not meant to argue with her betters she was reminding herself - and certainly not coming to them with plans that showed how inhuman she had become, but she had raised it so she would finish "and I would never tell them what is going on" she was firm on that "no for them it is a game while they are focused elsewhere ... the goods would be got without knowledge" what was it with Amy and Erica being willing to risk the masquerade or thinking that it was a something that could be risked. Was the whole thing just a joke at her expense? it seemed unlikely, not not impossible.

"Honestly I don't think about it if I can avoid it, there are about four plans as I see it. His plan will be to map me out and target others, the Sheriffs plan is to wait until he makes his move or maybe track his movements before hand, my plan is to try to get a power-base and lure him somewhere remote and make myself a bond villain" only with land mines, grenades or what have you rather then lasers, but Erica didn't need to hear that "and what your boss and his friends plans for this are is frankly beyond me" thought she had suspicions that the prince wanted to shake things up to better establish his rule Erica didn't need to know about her mass wild guessing either "only one of these plans has me as anything other then gone, and I lack the resources to begin that", she had come to terms with the likelihood of dying, and while it was not ideal she could accept it. He is just trying to make the world a better place, I might do the same in his shoes.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Is he even human?" she whispered before leaning back again.

"I'm not saying get the media involved," Erica said, "I'm saying if they catch wind of what's going on, the story is going to blow up, people are going to be snooping and investigating all over the place, and then there's a good chance we're all screwed."

"Thing is, why start off huge?" she asked, "food first, then shelter, then wealth and influence; start off with the local S&M scene, if there even is one in Havensworth, and see if it's workable. I mean, how are you actually going to collect the goods? Do it yourself? If yes, you might get caught. If no, then someone has to do it for you, which means someone knows what's going on. Once you figure out a good system, then you can expand to include discreet clientele, know what I mean?"
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2013-06-07 at 11:48 PM.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Was he human?, he had magic powers but really Erica didn't need to hear her thoughts on that, she shrugged - as she had been doing more of recently.

"I'm not sure if I am following you correctly, there would be nothing illegal going on - just people having kinks - thats not news. Nor is it in the public interest, as such if the media being to invade privacy the courts would deal with it ... and harshly. You hear stories of politician X does Y, you never hear that person X 'executive title' of 'local business' does Y, because unless there it is in the public interest o know - such as that person running for office - it is illegal to run it - and unprofitable as no one care what someone they have never heard of does", or that was her understanding at anyrate.

But while she might not agree with Erica on the working of the concept the woman did bring up actual reality, she could not snap her fingers and have a secret empire with no ties or problems, she would have to deal with people.

"Your right" the idea of her in an S&M club was frankly humorous, she couldn't even figure out how to pick someone up at a bar let along engage in their kinks - she had an idea with no execution, "I had intended to collect myself, a tied up person with a mask or whatever to hid sight seemed like an easy target" she sighed "but your right with no knowledge of how the system works it is a concept of a plan rather than an actual plan" and as such it had the same problem with a lot of her plans that went beyond nabbing people of the street - she lacked any real experience with the core concepts that the plans revolved around.

The woman hadn't answered her on the choice front, but she guessed it was none of her business - even if there was something related she was curious about.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Look, I didn't mean to say it's a bad idea," she replied, leaning back and casually glancing about the room, "it's just that I think there's a few things that you haven't thought of, so it might be best to start small and simple. Like... maybe join an S&M club before you try to start one; then you'll get to know the lingo and some of the players."

Erica paused and looked as if she was about to stop there, but she pursed her lips and continued speaking.

"Also, it's probably not a good idea to put all the eggs in one basket," she said, "diversify a little bit. No need to put all the influence and the juice in the same club. If one gets blown, so does the other, and then you're back at nothing, or worse."

Erica regarded Danielle.

"Yes, he let me choose," she said, "at least, I had the illusion of choice."

She leaned in again.

"Have you talked to any of the others about your friend?" she asked, "have any of them offered to help? Also, how old are you, eighteen yet?"
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

"An idea that isn't fully considered is a poor idea to implement" she stated, she had not consider how she herself would do any of the things needed which made the idea ill-conceived at the least.

"I have no real idea about sexual kinks other then what I read in the papers" in fact no idea at all, the closest you have ever gotten to an intimate encounter was eating that guy earlier in the night. Actually that sounded all sorts of wrong closing her eyes as she corrected herself "I mean the politicians being exposed, not smut magazines", that still sounded bad.

Change the topic.

She wasn't sure about asking Erica about this, but it might explain to her why she wasn't looking her in the eye - which was weird "this choice - can you be sure you made it the way you think you did, and are not remembering what someone wants you to believe in order to ensure your correct behavior" forcing her could and should cause resentment, making her think she signed up well than people would be more happy and accepting of the situation, and less likely to cause problems.

"Eighteen less than three weeks ago" so no I will never be eighteen to answer it a different way, "and yea some have", she didn't need to know it was Amy. For all she knew this entire meeting was to see about undermining the Nosferatu and she wanted no part of that.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2013-06-08 at 10:38 PM. Reason: missed answering a question

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

Spoiler
    Show
    For some reason I thought Danielle was avoiding eye contact, so I had Erica return the favor. Must have misread.

Erica chuckled, covering her mouth as she did so.

"Come on now," she said, still smiling, "smut magazines might be a good place to start, they might advertise clubs, or at least kinky stores, you know?"

At the mention of her Embrace, the young woman's smile faded.

"It's possible, but I don't think so," she said, "there's uh.., pretty good reasons why I don't think that's the case."

She paused, then decided to elaborate, speaking quietly again.

"Basically," she continued, "it doesn't work like that. Yes, you can get someone to do what you want, for a while, but it saps their free will and creativity over time. That's the exact opposite of what my boss wants."

Out of habit, she tried to catch Danielle's gaze for the first time that night.

"I didn't really know that, that night," she said, "I didn't like doing it before, and now..."

She leaned back again.

"Do you have a, uh..weapon? or a uhm.. ID?" she asked, "'cuz three weeks is a long time to wait to buy one."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2013-06-08 at 10:53 PM.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle
    Spoiler
    Show

No you were right.
    She wasn't sure about asking Erica about this, but it might explain to her why she wasn't looking her in the eye - which was weird
    The her was Erica, and the she was Danielle.
    Which is basically impossible to figure from the sentance. Sorry.

Essentially Danielle is having a hard time not looking Erica in the eye and finding it weird - so asking Erica about it was her way of highlighting of someone might view the power.

She wasn't sure, she had no idea how to talk to someone in a bar the embarrassment of buying those magazines would likely be more she would but herself through, great plan Danielle, just great, except for that whole actual follow through it was perfect she sarcastically chided herself.

She wasn't sure about the explanation of the power - using it once with subtly surely wouldn't break someone to bad unless that was the intention.

As Erica tried to catch her eye she jerked her head away, under the table her hand balled and then consciously unclenched "please do not do that" her voice tone implying that she might leave otherwise "it isn't personal" this said softer. It wasn't either the woman had offered good advice and criticism but she would not risk her will on that.

"You may not like it - but it is a tool, surely useful at times and if you wanted a test subject I likely make a good one, I can't risk that" she continued.

She tried to allow the tension to leave her "I don't have a firearm if that is what you mean, but I am learning the more traditional styles" namely how to cut someone "I hear that guns are not great anyway, also with a bit of chemistry you can make your own stuff" dammit that had slipped out now the community could add possible arsonist to the list of reasons to end her, "uh ... if you have any knowledge in that area I mean".

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"OhJesusChristRelax," Erica said, averting her eyes by rolling them and settling her gaze down at the table again.

She waited a beat as silent tension filled the air.

"Look," Erica said, "Al never took the pistol back from me; I've still got it, but I can get another one legally. You can have this one if you want, at least until you can get one on your own."

"A lot of things change when you live half in and half out of normal society; you can't count on the laws to protect you anymore, you know?" she said quietly.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2013-06-09 at 05:45 AM.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

She considered the offer, a gun might be useful - she would need lessons but that wouldn't be a problem. No the issue was that if she was caught with it she would have to answer questions with no good answers to them, and that could blow the entire deal.

"Thanks" the woman seemed honest enough "but the risks of it being noted and having to answer questions by interested parties, or using it and missing where I might accidentally hitting a bystander" bullet goes through window and kills pregnant woman was not a headline she wanted to see "are too high".

"Can't count on anything to protect you, other then yourself" she stated, that was not new to her ... she had been training and effectively fending for herself for years while her mother worked "and even than it is a faint hope must times".

Other people were nice but they couldn't be truly relied on.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Alright, suit yourself," she said.

"Let me know if you find out more about your friend," she said, "or if, you know, you need anything."

"Unless there's anything else you wanted to talk about?" she asked.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Was that an order to keep her informed or a general comment she wondered, not that it mattered.

"There is just one thing" she paused "how did you get my number?", it was a concern of hers that she wanted laid to rest.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Josef," she replied plainly.

"I got as many numbers as I could the first night, and got the rest of our class' from him the following night," she added, "yeah... sorry for not calling sooner."
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

The answer made no sense - or no direct sense at any rate.

But the puzzle was easy enough to solve, she had moved into Amy's old place a week after the change - so either the Ventrue were keeping an eye on her and others, or Erica had gotten the number from her mother after calling the house.

The first was creepy as if the Ventrue were tracking her so were other people, it also meant that they were likely putting themselves as risk with the Jackal and would likely blame that risk on her.

The second option would have made her blood boil had she still being alive - how would they like her to be calling up there families and friends?

Calm down she breathed in you are guessing.

"Sorry I only moved in there a week after that night" she wanted to make her voice light like a good natured joke, it came out cold "have you been keeping track of me?".

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Oh yeah, that's right," Erica said, "I didn't get your number until some time later."

She frowned.

"I thought I was pretty clear when I called that the whole reason for meeting was to check up on you," she said, "but if you'd rather go it alone, I can understand that."
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Did it matter where she got the number she considered what matters is that it is easy to get, there were concerns about that.

"Look I'm sorry if I am a bit standoffish" or arrogant, petulant, and aggravating she said "I ... I don't trust people, and that isn't really new to the situation" it has been that way for years "but the situation hasn't helped".

"You have given me some good things to think about and I appreciate it, but that doesn't mean I don't think that I might not simply be a betting game on how long I last, to be laughed at by those that will last longer" she shrugged "not your problem either way".

"If you need help with anything - that is not going to get be in grief with others - let me know, I might be able to help" she offered, no point in being a total jerk ... even if that ship had sailed.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Well, if it's any consolation, I haven't heard about any betting games," Erica replied, "and whether there are or aren't, it shouldn't change anything that _you_ do; you can worry about that stuff after dealing with you-know-what."

"I'm working on something," she said, "if it looks like it might pan out, I'll keep you in the loop?"
    TC for short