New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Universe

1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Steven Universe

Yo thanks for the spoiler tags guys I didn't even realize this was discussion about the episode today because I forgot what day it is today.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yo thanks for the spoiler tags guys I didn't even realize this was discussion about the episode today because I forgot what day it is today.

Apologies, miss. It slipped my mind. Consider it spoilered now. I know that doesn't help your case, but it might help other people.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Dunno that there was that much there to be spoiled. Most of the events were things we already knew, with only the subtleties and particulars in the execution being unexpected.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    What bothers me is that ~10 years ago the gems (the youngest of whom is at least five thousand years old) look like teenagers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    it actually makes a lot of sense to me. Rose was obviously a big part of their lives and a strong maternal figure/leader to them, so outside of the horrors of war when they no longer need to act like the warriors they were abd, indeed, might want to be actively avoiding such a thing would take on a more childlike perception of themselves. Since their perception is basically what decides how their outward body looks, viola...younger looking gems.

Then again, it could just be a matter of perception, Amethyst's shorter hair combined with Garnet's and Pearl's different clothes combined with Rose's sheer height and pimped out dres...well...its easy to appear younger in such a situation. I mean, Rose is eight feet tall so I imagine it doesn't take much to look younger in comparison with the show's simplified art style.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #365

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    Apologies, miss. It slipped my mind. Consider it spoilered now. I know that doesn't help your case, but it might help other people.
    Thank you. And for what it's worth you REMINDED ME THAT TODAY WAS THURSDAY WATCH EPISODE ZODI so like, thanks for that at least

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Dunno that there was that much there to be spoiled. Most of the events were things we already knew, with only the subtleties and particulars in the execution being unexpected.
    This is true but consider doing so in the future anyway.

That said, Episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    really good! Seeing Rose here was interesting. She still carries this mythical vibe to her too, which is good because realizing this episode would feature her made me worried that we'd lose some of that mysticism surrounding her.

Also, seeing the Crystal Gems are slightly younger was fantastic, as well as seeing how...uneducated they are about things like "what time is it".

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

This is true but consider doing so in the future anyway.
    Definitely be more likely to with something like Jailbreak, or even lion 3, given how that whole Bebop turn wasn't really indicated beforehand, and also given that I'm pretty sure it was the first episode with serious Rose having. As a personal rule of thumb, I tend to spoiler spoilery stuff, but keep relatively non-spoilery stuff in the open air, regardless of episode proximity.

By the by, forgot to mention this, but I just 100%'d the game, with I think only two badges to pick up. Doesn't seem to have a large amount of replayability, as the distance between end game and "true" end game is really short, though I could always just, y'know, replay it, presumably picking a different upgrade plan for the gems, because it doesn't look like you can fully upgrade within the confines of max level. Also, weirdly enough, it looks like Steven is permanently stuck with a little sliver of XP in his bar, which is bugging me a bit.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

By the by, forgot to mention this, but I just 100%'d the game, with I think only two badges to pick up. Doesn't seem to have a large amount of replayability, as the distance between end game and "true" end game is really short, though I could always just, y'know, replay it, presumably picking a different upgrade plan for the gems, because it doesn't look like you can fully upgrade within the confines of max level. Also, weirdly enough, it looks like Steven is permanently stuck with a little sliver of XP in his bar, which is bugging me a bit.
    I got Steven's experience bar to rise to ~15%, after he reached his "max" level, but I got the gems to max level quite a bit before the end, so the progress on that is REALLY slow. I'm guessing it might be there so that, if a player happened to choose as many non-skill upgrades as possible, it's still possible to get all of Steven's abilities and upgrades... but I dunno if I'll actually grind up to that point to see if that's right.

You can get all the skill upgrades for all the gems during the course of the game, while the stat upgrades are basically customization. You can't "max out" everything, because it's specialization type thing.
    Last edited by endoperez; 2015-04-11 at 07:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm a bit bored, so I'm going to do some of that continuity tiering I've been considering. As an arbitrary proof of concept, I'ma do the first ten episodes. As a basic guideline, the highest level is some direct reference to the events of an episode in a future episode, the next highest is the inclusion of something new that sees use later (whether character, ability, or object), then after that is an underlying plot continuation, then basic locational returns, and finally stuff that apparently has no bearing on continuity. It's a thing open to change, but this is just basic idea thingamajoggers. I'm going to only list the highest level thing, and also list the gap between the episode and where it's first referenced on that level.

Gem Glow: The centipeetle makes a complete return in Monster Buddies, 22 episodes later.

Laser Light Cannon: The red eye is directly referenced in Marble Madness, 42 episodes later.

Cheeseburger Backpack: The mission is the setup for the plot in The Test, 35 episodes later.

Together Breakfast: This is the first episode with the gem's rooms in it. I suppose one could consider Rose's Room a continuation of that, but I don't think that's a correct way to look at it.

Frybo: Pretty much just the introduction of Peedee.

Cat Fingers: I think this is the first episode with transformation, though it may be just be the first episode with Steven transformation.

Bubble Buddies: Connie and magic bubbles are here.

Serious Steven: Biggest thing here might actually be the expansion on the gem battlefield given in Rose's Scabbard, which may ascend to the level of direct reference in its importance, 37 episodes later.

Tiger Millionaire: The Amethyst inferiority plotline started here, and was continued in earnest in On the Run, 31 episodes later.

Steven's Lion: Here there be Lion.

Seems like a reasonable first run, though it could be more organized. There's a pretty high important thing introduction rate, maybe a higher one than could be expected.

9. - Top - End - #369

Frybo also had mentions of the fact that broken gems where used to animate armor, which is related to the overarching plot/idea of Rose trying to repair and fix broken gems to save them from being monsters, which is brought up in Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Laser Light Cannon: The red eye is directly referenced in Marble Madness, 42 episodes later.
    While Steven was in Greg's garage, he walked past a TV set with a bunch of VHS tapes stacked next to it. It was in the first scene where he stands up inside the garage. He also broke the picture in this episode. That's Maximum Capacity right there, so nr. 43.

It also first tells us that Greg met Rose when she was his concert's only audience. Story for Steven, nr 50.

And it had old-timey diving equipment in there, and if we ever get an episode about trying to locate certain someone from under the sea, that might make a reappearance.

Together Breakfast: This is the first episode with the gem's rooms in it. I suppose one could consider Rose's Room a continuation of that, but I don't think that's a correct way to look at it.
    After Steven was chased by Amethyst and Pearl finds them, he falls down while holding on to a tube. First he's screaming, then suddenly it's all pink clouds and calm music and he goes "this isn't so bad", and then it's screaming again.

So... a direct reference to Rose's Room.

I recently also looked into what the first 10 or so episodes were about. They all either introduce us to new characters, or new aspects of the world. Besides the big things, they slowly introduced the idea that there had once been more gems, that they weren't from Earth, that there was some sort of a war, space got mentioned a lot, etc.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Frybo also had mentions of the fact that broken gems where used to animate armor, which is related to the overarching plot/idea of Rose trying to repair and fix broken gems to save them from being monsters, which is brought up in Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem.
    Definitely more the gem item utility than the gem repair thing, I think, unless there was specific reference to fixing those pieces. It's some interesting setup for the mechanics of gems though.
    Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    While Steven was in Greg's garage, he walked past a TV set with a bunch of VHS tapes stacked next to it. It was in the first scene where he stands up inside the garage. He also broke the picture in this episode. That's Maximum Capacity right there, so nr. 43.
    Yeah, that picture thing was a serious direct continuation, as was the general setup of the messy storage area.

It also first tells us that Greg met Rose when she was his concert's only audience. Story for Steven, nr 50.
    True enough, that.
    And it had old-timey diving equipment in there, and if we ever get an episode about trying to locate certain someone from under the sea, that might make a reappearance.
    Would be pretty neat, I gotta admit.

After Steven was chased by Amethyst and Pearl finds them, he falls down while holding on to a tube. First he's screaming, then suddenly it's all pink clouds and calm music and he goes "this isn't so bad", and then it's screaming again.

So... a direct reference to Rose's Room.
    Maybe, though it's not quite as setup in that episode as I would like. For example, the gem battlefield is directly mentioned in Serious Steven, giving some indication of what went on there albeit without the expansion we'd get later, directly and indirectly. Rose's room mostly came across as just a weird thing at the time, at least to me.

I recently also looked into what the first 10 or so episodes were about. They all either introduce us to new characters, or new aspects of the world. Besides the big things, they slowly introduced the idea that there had once been more gems, that they weren't from Earth, that there was some sort of a war, space got mentioned a lot, etc.
    Yeah, and I'm inclined to think the ones after that also set stuff up like crazy. Like, Arcade Mania, the episode right after the first ten, showed Garnet's third eye and implied stuff about the nature of future vision. Then Giant Woman happened, and that set up some of the best episodes of the show. I'm not even sure what the first episode is that doesn't have some weird form of progression into future episodes. I'm inclined to think Steven and the Stevens, in spite of the call backs, or it could just be the first seriously progressionless episode, Garnet's Universe.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just saw Story for Steven. Thought it was pretty good. Cool seeing all these characters we know in a different time. And as for them looking younger, I kind of interpreted this episode taking place in Steven's mind. Like, this is how he imagined it so maybe he thought they looked different. Just a theory I came up with, though I could be wrong.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Wizard View Post
    Just saw Story for Steven. Thought it was pretty good. Cool seeing all these characters we know in a different time. And as for them looking younger, I kind of interpreted this episode taking place in Steven's mind. Like, this is how he imagined it so maybe he thought they looked different. Just a theory I came up with, though I could be wrong.
    I'm more inclined to think that it's in Greg's mind, especially because his image of the gems would be defined by how they are now. I also like the theory that their form is malleable along the size axis in addition to in terms of appearance, and that they scaled up after they shifted roles to Steven's mothers.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm more inclined to think that it's in Greg's mind, especially because his image of the gems would be defined by how they are now. I also like the theory that their form is malleable along the size axis in addition to in terms of appearance, and that they scaled up after they shifted roles to Steven's mothers.
    Eh, I'm not sure.

While Flashback Greg is shown with roughly the same proportions as Steven, he's a fully grown adult in the flashback, so he's going to be considerably taller than Steven is. I have not made a height chart or anything, but I think the Gem's size in the flashback is roughly consistant with their sizes compared to Greg in the rest of the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Eh, I'm not sure.

While Flashback Greg is shown with roughly the same proportions as Steven, he's a fully grown adult in the flashback, so he's going to be considerably taller than Steven is. I have not made a height chart or anything, but I think the Gem's size in the flashback is roughly consistant with their sizes compared to Greg in the rest of the show.
    Even possibly accounting for that, both Amethyst and Pearl seem distinctly younger, and I think they're also smaller relative to Garnet. In other episodes, Pearl tends to be about chin height on Garnet, maybe up to the mouth, and she's practically falling below neck height in the past. Meanwhile, for Amethyst, I don't think her height proportion is that far off relative to Pearl in the past compared to the present, but she has a lot more girth in the present tense. Point is, I think there are definite size differences.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just remembered: wasn't there an episode where someone - one of the gems - mentioned they used to have a fence around the beach? I thought it was a nice touch it was there in this episode. Also Pearl's little bit on the fence where it read "Keep Out," and then "Please," because who else then Pearl would add that?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

I just remembered: wasn't there an episode where someone - one of the gems - mentioned they used to have a fence around the beach? I thought it was a nice touch it was there in this episode. Also Pearl's little bit on the fence where it read "Keep Out," and then "Please," because who else then Pearl would add that?
    Yep! Full Disclosure after Peridot's ship crashed and they were talking about keeping humans off the beach for their own safety.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

18. - Top - End - #378
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Yep! Full Disclosure after Peridot's ship crashed and they were talking about keeping humans off the beach for their own safety.
    Yeah, and Amethyst was gonna be the alligator, but never committed.

Also...
    (spoilers just in case)
    Spoiler: Just in case, whateve' reason
    Show
    Anyone think/want Marty to be in a future episode? I don't know, but I kind of feel like half of this episode was setting up Marty for a future encounter with the characters. A lot of Steven Universe is like that: setting up something minor that turns out to be a huge thing in the future.

I'm not sure if I'd want him to return as a nemesis in another episode, or even what he'd do, but I just have this weird feeling he'd be back and something would happen.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Also...
    (spoilers just in case)
    Spoiler: Just in case, whateve' reason
    Show
    Anyone think/want Marty to be in a future episode? I don't know, but I kind of feel like half of this episode was setting up Marty for a future encounter with the characters. A lot of Steven Universe is like that: setting up something minor that turns out to be a huge thing in the future.

I'm not sure if I'd want him to return as a nemesis in another episode, or even what he'd do, but I just have this weird feeling he'd be back and something would happen.
    Well...

Spoiler
    Show

Marty introduced the girl from the van as Vidalia. Which, as was pointed out to me, is a type of onion. And in Joy Ride Sour Cream mentioned his step dad, the fisherman, who is Onion's dad. Sour Cream wants to be a DJ, and, since it's been hinted that Marty is his dad, he was and perhaps still is in the music business, well...

Greg is working on a new album, so the story might also go the direction of him releasing that, suddenly getting rich, but their old contract still giving Marty his 75 %.
    Last edited by endoperez; 2015-04-13 at 05:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Well...

Spoiler
    Show

Marty introduced the girl from the van as Vidalia. Which, as was pointed out to me, is a type of onion. And in Joy Ride Sour Cream mentioned his step dad, the fisherman, who is Onion's dad. Sour Cream wants to be a DJ, and, since it's been hinted that Marty is his dad, he was and perhaps still is in the music business, well...

Greg is working on a new album, so the story might also go the direction of him releasing that, suddenly getting rich, but their old contract still giving Marty his 75 %.
    Spoiler: whateve'
    Show
    Oh yeah! I thought Marty looked kind of like Sour Cream. Makes sense.

By the way, does anyone know who voiced Marty? I can't find that info online and the voice sounds familiar.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Marty was played by Jon Wurster.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Marty was played by Jon Wurster.
    Who, incidentally, is Tom Scharpling (aka Greg Universe) 's co-host on The Best Show.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

I still hope that some day in the future Don Hertzfeldt is allowed to write, direct, storyboard, and (if possible) animate an entire episode of Steven Universe. I'm not sure why, I just really want to see what he'd come up with.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I still hope that some day in the future Don Hertzfeldt is allowed to write, direct, storyboard, and (if possible) animate an entire episode of Steven Universe. I'm not sure why, I just really want to see what he'd come up with.
    Seems a lot more like an Adventure Time thing. His style fits Adventure Time's style a lot better, and that show has a tendency to bring in a guest thing doer every so often.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seems a lot more like an Adventure Time thing. His style fits Adventure Time's style a lot better, and that show has a tendency to bring in a guest thing doer every so often.
    You know, you're probably right, but I think that justifies it more being a Steven Universe thing. Like, everyone would expect Don Hertzfeldt to do that with Adventure Time, but with Steven Universe it's more unexpected so I think it would be more funny/entertaining because a lot of comedy is doing something unexpected. At least that's how I see it. Or maybe I'm just weird and have weird ideas.

I would also like to see a crossover between SU and Homestar Runner. Again, I have no idea why, and there are probably a ton of better crossover ideas, but I just really want to see it. Marzipan can rock out with Greg and the Cheat and make a music video for them. Homestar and Steven can bond over the fact they both wear an almost identical shirt.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

It's hard to think of shows that would make good crossovers with SU because it has such an unusually sweet sense of humor. If it was combined with a show with even the smallest mean streak in its jokes, it runs the risk of feeling like it's making fun of SU somehow. In my expert opinion, the best crossover would be with Gravity Falls. Both shows rarely make jokes at the expense of others, both shows are about bonds between family members, both are full of intrigue, and it would have a sufficiently different feel to it than Say Uncle (we don't wanna tread old ground). And the main characters would have some nice chemistry. Dipper would love to help Steven find out more about the Gems as a culture, and Mabel would keep him entertained. It would be adorbable.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yeah, there's always that desire to glom your favorite things together and make a ridiculous Steven Universe and Rick and Morty crossover, but it's probably a bad idea. Gravity Falls would probably make for a reasonable combo, though I'm inclined to prefer that Steven Universe just not crossover. Beyond the show's tone, it has such a self contained little world, and bringing outsiders to it just feels... wrong somehow. It's no coincidence that the characters rarely leave the town except to go somewhere that has a warp pad. Even something as apparently innocuous as Gravity Falls would change things in these weird little ways that I don't think make sense for the show.

28. - Top - End - #388

Yeah, Dipper trying to poke around all the mysteries kind of goes counter to Steven's whole "figure it out at his own pace" thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #389
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, a Gravity Falls/Steven Universe crossover would be pretty cool. Especially after the last amazing episode of GF: Not What He Seems. It'd be an interesting concept to look into, though I don't know how likely to happen since both shows are on different networks.

Oh man, how would Amethyst and Mabel get along? I think a five minute short of just those two hanging out would be enough for me!

30. - Top - End - #390
    Bugbear in the Playground

New episode was a bit laid back. Looks like a certain 'cool guy' is a certain Mayor's son.

Not sure if that conflict resolution is particularly realistic, but I'll give it a pass.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.