New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Novices of the White Tower IC - Part 1

"Is that circle works both way?" Nesta asks, "Because I can easily think of reasons a Sister wouldn't want anyone to listen to what happens in her room, but if that measn she can't hear us as well -"
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

"I know nothing of fish," Hala admits bluntly. "If this is unusual, then perhaps it means something, but I don't know how or where to start looking. Do you?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lilleah

"It stops all sound," Lilleah replies. "I used to use... well, no need to explain that."

No one needed nor probably wanted to know how she used to handle her weaves when she was but a young girl - younger girl - and a wilder only. Though she learned more of the power on her own than she feels she has since coming to the tower. Sure, she's gotten better with air and understands better wardings, though she had a good grasp of it before. She wonders what more she can learn on her own. In between the classes and other studies, if she tried... well, a thought for another time.

"Knocking won't get anyone attention... if it is truly... should we ask another brown sister?"

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    "I know nothing of fish," Hala admits bluntly. "If this is unusual, then perhaps it means something, but I don't know how or where to start looking. Do you?"
    "...No. This is the kind of thing we usually leave to the Aes Sedai. In fact, I bet at least one merchant or guard has already told the Tower about it. There's probably a Sister or two investigating the mystery. I suppose we could ask about that, when we get back."

That still left their free time unfilled. Nicaene had been sent to fulfil a task. It was her duty to give it her full attention. But the investigation so far had been unexpectedly fast. She'd beheld the troublemakers at work; Had them followed; Eavesdropped on their plotting; Received a promising lead for tomorrow; And took the pulse of local anxiety. What else remained to do? With the guard off limits for now, Nicaene had few avenues left.

Hmm, what about those names that Hala had overheard? 'Jerold and Thera'. Nicaene racked her brain for a trace of recognition. Had she heard either of those names before, even in passing?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+1)[15]

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Amy View Post
    Lilleah

"It stops all sound," Lilleah replies. "I used to use... well, no need to explain that."

No one needed nor probably wanted to know how she used to handle her weaves when she was but a young girl - younger girl - and a wilder only. Though she learned more of the power on her own than she feels she has since coming to the tower. Sure, she's gotten better with air and understands better wardings, though she had a good grasp of it before. She wonders what more she can learn on her own. In between the classes and other studies, if she tried... well, a thought for another time.

"Knocking won't get anyone attention... if it is truly... should we ask another brown sister?"
    "We might... or we might spend this time trying to learn something on our own?"~

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Well, we can just open the door and apologise later" says Ella putting her hand on the knob.
    I suggest a new strategy, R2. Let the Wookiee win.

7. - Top - End - #187

Lilleah

"Then let's go for it," Lilleah says with a nod though with still some apprehension. Barging in on an Aes Sedai? She's seen Amira Sedai more times than she wants already. "I can do it if you'd rather, given how much trouble I'm already getting myself into..."

Though she offers, she doesn't move to displace Ella's hand on the door.

8. - Top - End - #188

"No need for that. I can brave the pots and the slipper as the next one." says Ella looking at the knob, appearing more brave than she felt.

She takes a deep breath and then turns the knob and pushes.

9. - Top - End - #189

PirateWench

Novices

Ella refuses to be nervous and pushes open the door with perhaps more force than is strictly necessary. She immediately pushes her hand through a shining web that fills the room. A circle of silence.

Spoiler
    Show
    You may make one weavesight roll to learn Circle of Silence

Briefly distracted by the weave before you, the group then notices the two women within the room. A small woman with a plain appearance sits in a chair holding another woman, one who is weeping! The room itself is plain and overrun with books.

The Aes Sedai providing comfort looks up and you note that she is surrounded by the power. She is evidently maintaining the warding and appears distracted. "What are you doing here girls? I -ah, I am meant to be teaching am I not, it had slipped my mind. Apologies girls, but I cannot right now. Seek out the library and find Garland's Treaties on the Borderlands, cover what you can of the inception of those nations, I will make certain to cover the topic again at another time."

Whilst she is speaking the crying woman raises her head and brushes the tears from her eyes. She too bears the ageless face but none of you recognise her, nor have you ever known an Aes Sedai to cry!

"My apologies for disrupting your class," she managed in a quavering voice, but there was no heart to it.

Only a few of the girls, Ella, Lilleah, Cirelyn and Nesta had been within sight of the room, and the other novices were outside of the warding and so knew nothing of this, but it doesn't take much time for Ella to explain what they were expected to do. And so the group makes their way down to the libraries, for a rather boring afternoon (depending on your perspective) reading about ancient kings and even more ancient treaties. There were enough copies that the group could split up, but still they were glad when the evening bell rang and they could escape.

Ella and Nesta each had their own appointments to keep and so disappeared whilst the other novices went their separate ways. There was much gossiping about the Aes Sedai, but no one yet knew anything concrete.

Hala and Nicaene

Those names, they were not uncommon, but as she was weighing them up with Hala the same woman from before chimed in: "Jerold, oh I know the man. Used to work in the White Tower itself, in the library I heard. But well, the new Amyrlin, Light illumine her, didn't want no men in the Tower, even those that worked, so he was sent packing with not even a thank you. Haven't heard much more lately, but there you go." This chimes with what you recall of the Amyrlin Seat's decree, and you do vaguely recall there being a male librarian that was forced to leave.

Still, you have gleaned a great deal of information already: you've identified at least some of the perpetrators of the group, a location you know they frequent, as well as their plans. Caster Gaidin would want to hear of this. Not to mention the lead you still had to follow up the next day: it would not be good to act before you had learned more of the situation.

Returning to the Tower, Caster listens to your report with his usual terseness, but he does seem mildly impressed by your work. "The Kandori Merchants' Guildhall? Interesting, they'll only let nobles in there so I don't think you'll have much luck getting in no matter how pretty your faces. And where did you learn about this? I've heard nothing of the issues with the Fish Market, which troubles me."

"Still, you should find away to stop those men prophesying tomorrow: we can't have them causing such a disruption, and not if they're going to draw crowds on Springfest."

You are quickly dismissed and return to your barracks where you are left to come up with a plan. It seems like such a daunting task for two individuals.

Ella

Ella finds her way to the Red Ajah quarters where she finds Ellinar unpacked and alone in her rooms, drinking tea from the most expensive set of cups Ella has ever seen. The Aes Sedai welcomes her in and then offers her a cup of her own.

"Now what is it that you wished to speak to me about girl?" She asked curiously.

(Feel free to role play this at the same time as the events of the next day)

Nesta

For her part, the Seafolk novice finds her way to the Yellow quarters with some nervousness. Was she to be chastised for Healing Lilleah?

Ryla is found in a very homely set of rooms, along with two other sisters of the Yellow, Romanda an elderly woman with a stern face and Samitsu, an Arafellin with small silver bells in her hair that chimed musically as she turned to greet the new arrival.

"Hello Nesta," Ryla began warmly. "We want to talk about what you did earlier. Healing Miss Darshawn, Lilleah."

(Feel free to role play this at the same time as the events of the next day)

All

Springfest! A day of freedom for both Novices and Trainees, or it was supposed to be, but there was a job to be done at least for Nicaene and Hala. But how would the others spend their day?

Spoiler
    Show
    Hi all! I'm back. Sorry for the somewhat railroad-y post, but I wanted to get things moving again properly! Obviously there is the option for the whole group to try and disrupt the prophets with Nicaene and Hala,
    but if you want to pursue other things or split up that's also fine.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The previous evening

Cirelyn watches in silence as Ella and Lilleah discuss what to do. She considers offering to open the door, but... she's spent a long time trying to keep her head down, to be the model of a perfect novice, to avoid drawing either opprobrium or attention from the sisters. Nesta stays quiet as well, perhaps for the same reason. But opening the door is clearly the right course, and even though Cirelyn knows why she's standing back, she is a little angry at herself for letting a younger woman take on the risk.

She only notices the shining weave out of the corner of her eye, her attention going immediately to Lornelle Sedai and the beautiful black-haired sister weeping in her arms. She nods hurriedly, without speaking a word, at the Aes Sedai's instructions, and leads the ensuing rush to the library.

The afternoon is occupied with work she'd usually enjoy, reading about the history of nations she's never visited, countries that border on no sea. But her mind keeps flickering back to the unfamiliar Aes Sedai, and to the thefts the previous day. What will Springfest itself hold?

That evening after dinner she approaches Lilleah, with a tentative, quiet-voiced offer: "If you'd like, we could try to work on your focus together? We may not have a boat but I'm sure we can come up with some other distractions." (From another woman that might sound like teasing, or the start of a joke, but Cirelyn's expression and tone seem completely serious.)

~

Springfest

Arriving in the dining hall for breakfast early on the bright Springfest morning, Cirelyn spots the other Sea Folk novice, and makes her way over to Nesta. She smiles tentatively at the other novice as she sits down and begins eating. "So, any plans for the day?"

Spoiler
    Show
    This assumes Nesta did have a meeting the previous evening; if not, Cirelyn would try to invite her to practice with her and Lilleah as well.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

11. - Top - End - #191

Lilleah, with Cirelyn

The whole thing with Lornelle Sedai ended without a satisfying climax. Well, yes, that's a good way to put it. It ended with them in the library, which was something Lilleah had previously thought she'd loathe. The part about the Browns that she didn't like: sitting holed up with some old text. But she found it so very interesting that she was surely the first one of the novices done with the assigned reading and wanting to discuss one of the treaties that seemed utterly inane. A clear political move to save face, as it were.

It is after dinner that Cirelyn approaches Lilleah with the offer. The young girl's eyes brighten and she nearly spouts out her half-day's worth of thoughts on the matter. "Oh, yes! Yes! I would love to, and I've been thinking, since we were both wilders... or are wilders still in many eyes... Um, sorry," she says moving to pull Cirelyn to the side with hushed tones. "I've been thinking about practicing on my own a little. You know, how we once did? Well, what I mean is, we're both wilders. Or were. But we learned on our own at one point. I... kind of don't want to stop that."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dmarks View Post
    Nesta

For her part, the Seafolk novice finds her way to the Yellow quarters with some nervousness. Was she to be chastised for Healing Lilleah?

Ryla is found in a very homely set of rooms, along with two other sisters of the Yellow, Romanda an elderly woman with a stern face and Samitsu, an Arafellin with small silver bells in her hair that chimed musically as she turned to greet the new arrival.

"Hello Nesta," Ryla began warmly. "We want to talk about what you did earlier. Healing Miss Darshawn, Lilleah."

All

Springfest! A day of freedom for both Novices and Trainees, or it was supposed to be, but there was a job to be done at least for Nicaene and Hala. But how would the others spend their day?

Spoiler
    Show
    Hi all! I'm back. Sorry for the somewhat railroad-y post, but I wanted to get things moving again properly! Obviously there is the option for the whole group to try and disrupt the prophets with Nicaene and Hala,
    but if you want to pursue other things or split up that's also fine.
    Nesta

Evening

It would be so easy to just say "no". It wouldn't even be a lie. Not really. (And, inexperienced as she was, Nesta did already notice the technique of "not really lying" that the Sisters were so fond of)

But it woudn't be fair to Ella, so Nesta replies without thinking... OK, after some thinking, to word her phrase better, "I'm afraid you're wrong, Ryla-sedai, in details if not in principle - I did weave the weave of healing yesterday, yes, but to heal Trainee Locke, not Lilleah... and yes, Ryla-sedai, i know we are not supposed to weave unless instructed by a full Sister."

It wasn't an attempt at excuse, just a statement of fact. If Ryla-sedai would find it worthy of punishment... so be it.

Springfest, assuming Nesta isn't busy cleaning the whole Tower by hand :-)

"Not really, no..."
    Nesta shakes her head, "How did your lessons with Lilleah went yesterday? I really wanted to join you, but, well, it's not like I could tell "no' to Ryla-sedai..."

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #193

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

weavesight : (1d20+10)[25]

-Private meeting-
    "Thank you for receiving me Ellinar Sedai". Ella takes a small bow. First to hide her shock at the cost of the porcelain, second to show the most deference possible.

She accepts the tea and starts her tale "When we were saving your things from the thiefs, I noticed a pair of earrings. A pair of simple earrings with a silver fish leaping over a river." she stops and breaths.

"Do you know the ones I am talking about? Can you tell me where you got them please?"

- Springfest-
    Still feeling sleepy from the night before, Ella goes to the group and asks "Are we going to the city ?"

14. - Top - End - #194

PirateWench

The Evening Before - Cirelyn and Lilleah

Lilleah and Cirelyn find themselves being ushered back to the Novice quarters, but they are still keen to practice and experiment. Do they stay in their quarters where channeling is mostly prohibited, or find a more clandestine place to practice?

The Evening Before - Nesta

"Oh," Ryla appears surprised. "I had presumed that we would not have so many Talented Healers amongst our Novices. As I said to you earlier, it did seem that you were rather skilled at Healing, a weave which it is forbidden to Novices to learn."

"Did you learn that weave when you were with the SeaFolk?" The elderly Romanda asked.

The Evening Before - Ella

Ellinar pauses, her face inscrutable. "I assume you have a reason for asking beyond curiosity child? Those are important to me and it is not the place of a Novice to ask personal questions of a sister."

15. - Top - End - #195

Lilleah, previous evening
    Eager to learn, she attempts to try and both overcome a block and embrace the source almost all evening but cannot muster even a grasp of the one power. She can feel it, in a way, just she gets a headache when she tries too much. She resorts to just trying to focus. Later that night, when alone in her own room, she grows very nervous not being able to channel. For as long as she was able, she would put up a dream saver. A weave that she's not even heard of inside the tower just yet. It guards her dreams and protects them. From what? She doesn't know... but sometimes she senses her dreams are quite frightening. Now, common nightmares aren't prevented, but she has the distinct feeling that, on occasion, there is something else in her dreams. Or something else watching. The dream saver seems to prevent it from happening. But now she cannot channel at all...

The next day
    A day off from class and a chance to go to the festival are great! She begins by running by Cirelyn's room to discuss maybe moving lessons elsewhere if possible. One of the basement rooms perhaps or even out in the city. After the briefest of conversations on the topic she tells anyone else nearby that she knows, of the other novices she's close to that is, that she'll be heading to the festival out in the city after she stops by to see Nicaene and maybe that Aiel trainee, Hala. Then she does just that with the occasional skip to her step.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Nicaene was glad that her and Hala's efforts proved acceptable. Being (sort of) praised by Caster was a welcome change. Still, part of her wondered whether she'd done enough. What if she'd missed a vital clue? Warders should always strive to improve themselves. Nicaene couldn't be allowed to rest on her laurels. And of course, there was still much work left to be done. She discussed tomorrow's pending tasks with Hala; Until they both fell asleep.

The next day

Nicaene woke and dressed early. No relaxing for her today! She needed to think up a plan. So when Lilleah stopped by to visit, her company was even more welcome than usual.

"Lilleah! Just the girl I wanted to see. Hala and I have a bit of a problem. Would you mind lending us your Aes Sedai brain for a while?"

She proceeded to summarise yesterday's events; And the job entrusted to her for today.

"...Anyway, that's the long and short of it. We need a way to stop those rabble-rousers from rousing any more rabble today; And a way to get our common selves inside that snobby merchants' guild. any ideas?"

Nicaene gave her friend a hopeful look. Lilleah was very intelligent. Her mind could reach places that Nicaene's couldn't. And besides, it'd been fun to tell her the story. Nicaene enjoyed sharing things with Lilleah and (to a lesser extent) the other novices. Perhaps some day, she'd get the chance to share her soul with one of them.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

The Evening Before - Nesta

"Oh," Ryla appears surprised. "I had presumed that we would not have so many Talented Healers amongst our Novices. As I said to you earlier, it did seem that you were rather skilled at Healing, a weave which it is forbidden to Novices to learn."

"Did you learn that weave when you were with the SeaFolk?" The elderly Romanda asked.
    Nesta's heart skips a beat as she frantically tries to think of a good answer - actually, any answer - to that question... and, for now, decides to stall for time. "Forbidden? But, Ryla-sedai, could you tell me why is it? I mean, I understand there are similar weaves, like Rend..." I'm digging myself deeper, ain't i? "that can't be trusted to someone who hasn't sworn Third Oath... but what harm can come from learning to Heal?"~

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Cirelyn, previous evening

Cirelyn considers the Cairhienin girl's suggestion as they walk back toward the novice quarters. "You know it would be dangerous," she says - but her tone is neutral, not disapproving. "Trying to learn on our own - the sisters say we can't get the channeling sickness that kills three out of four wilders anymore, but we could still injure ourselves, or even burn ourselves out." She grimaces at the last phrase - no one likes to think of that possibility, but it's always there. "Are you sure it's something you want to attempt?"

Springfest, at breakfast

Cirelyn bites into a roll and shakes her head slightly at Nesta, with a brief smile. "You didn't miss much. Lilleah was still tired from her weave going wrong, so we just practiced focus and concentration. Keeping track of a mental list or count while the other person tries to distract you, that sort of thing..."

She waves to Ella, who has just entered the dining hall, and nods at her question. "Lilleah mentioned heading to the festival after visiting Nicaene and Hala. Maybe we should try to find those three, if we want to join Lilleah."

"Anyway, enough about my evening, Nesta - how was your meeting with Ryla Sedai? And yours, Ella?"
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199

-Private meeting-

Ella doesn't answer and hesitates a bit. She would prefer to have the upper hand on information. Be the owner of it. But here, with a full sister, she wouldn't be able to do it.

So she just did what she had learned to do while channeling - let herself go , and by it, trying to gain a modicum of control.

She puts her hand on her pocket and shows Ellinar sedai her own pair of matching earrings.

"From my father I think."

- Springfest -

"A lot to think about" answers Ella to Cirelynn. "Go with a question, leave with one hundred."

"Joining Nicaene and Lilleah seems great. Never saw if they recovered fully"

20. - Top - End - #200

Lilleah to Cirelyn
    Burning themselves out. Yes, she knows well the dangers. At least now. But she feels she might be able to recognize it better. Sticking with something that is safe for the time being, though. Not pushing so much as... "Yes, it is something I want to do. When I first got here, as a wilder, there was some interest from some of the sisters, but most disregarded me until they saw my 'strength' as they called it. Then I was a topic of conversation. That's finally died out, but... anyway, I've never felt like I've received any attention for overcoming my block beyond telling me I have it and that it will go away or it won't and will be the reason I'll 'never be a real Aes Sedai'," Lilleah says in an exasperated mocking tone, "Something you and I probably took for granted, the others here see as a detriment. After the other day in the inn with the thieves, I can see how it would be. If taken by surprise, would we be able to even embrace the source? So, think of this self-monitored practice as, well, an effort to overcome our blocks. That, and we can work on focusing like we just did."

21. - Top - End - #201

PirateWench

Lilleah - The Night Before

Spoiler: Lilleah
    Show
    Lilleah is assailed by fitful dreams, but there is one she can't forget. Three fish in a barrel, illuminated by the moon, and each dodging the frantic spears of an unknown figure. Suddenly one of the fish blackens and turns upon its kin, and Lilleah wakes remembering those blank, dead eyes.

Nesta - The Evening Before

"For the dangers it can cause!" Ryla replied shocked. "Yet it is bad enough you know how to hurt with this Talent. That is a dark path indeed!" Both Ryla and Samitsu seem shocked by Nesta's revelation, but Romanda continues to watch with hawk like eyes.

"Child, Healing is a difficult thing at the best of times, the body fragile. If you were to weave it even slightly wrong you could cause irreparable harm rather than recovery. Do you understand? It is rare indeed that you would learn this Weave safely without a tutor. But we welcome such talent."

"I must ask, how did you learn to twist it to cause harm? To Rend, as you say? That is considered an ill route by my sisters."

Ella - The Evening Before

Ellinar waits for a long time after Ella reveals herself. Thinking? Plotting? "A long time ago,
    I was responsible for the death of a woman who did not deserve to die. I carry these earrings as a reminder.
    I did not know that such others existed, nor how your father came by them, for I thought them unique."

"I hope it is an unhappy coincidence, for your sake."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Cirelyn, the evening before

Cirelyn nods thoughtfully, but it is a while before she speaks. "I'd be happy to work on that with you, as well as concentration. Maybe by comparing our blocks, and our experiences in getting past them, we can learn something." She smiles a little ruefully. "Actually practicing weaves... I know that's a rule almost everyone breaks, but I've generally tried not to. It's part of why I push myself in classes; if that's the only place they'll let you practice..." She shrugs one shoulder. "But I suppose that would be safer, as well, with a partner - someone to tell you when you're pushing too hard."

She shakes her head, as if tossing the thought of the dangers away. "And anyway, we don't need to cross that current yet. How are you feeling? Do you think you could channel again yet, if you tried?"

Cirelyn, Springfest

Of course, healers will want to check on their patients. Cirelyn's gaze goes involuntarily to Nesta's arm, where the thief cut her. No marks there now, not even a faint scar marring her dark skin.

"Let's go find them, then," she says, rising to her feet, "... at least, when you're done eating."
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

"For the dangers it can cause!" Ryla replied shocked. "Yet it is bad enough you know how to hurt with this Talent. That is a dark path indeed!" Both Ryla and Samitsu seem shocked by Nesta's revelation, but Romanda continues to watch with hawk like eyes.

"Child, Healing is a difficult thing at the best of times, the body fragile. If you were to weave it even slightly wrong you could cause irreparable harm rather than recovery. Do you understand? It is rare indeed that you would learn this Weave safely without a tutor. But we welcome such talent."

"I must ask, how did you learn to twist it to cause harm? To Rend, as you say? That is considered an ill route by my sisters."
    "I never said I know how to weave it, Ryla-sedai... I do have talent for Healing, it seems, that is true; but I only heard about using it for harm yesterday... from Ella, I think? I'm not even sure... I hardly remember half of what happened that time... but I know that if we couldn't Heal... not everyone who was there would be alive right now." She looks the Sister straight in the eyes, as if daring to argue.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+6)[14]

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    Springfest, at breakfast

Cirelyn bites into a roll and shakes her head slightly at Nesta, with a brief smile. "You didn't miss much. Lilleah was still tired from her weave going wrong, so we just practiced focus and concentration. Keeping track of a mental list or count while the other person tries to distract you, that sort of thing..."

She waves to Ella, who has just entered the dining hall, and nods at her question. "Lilleah mentioned heading to the festival after visiting Nicaene and Hala. Maybe we should try to find those three, if we want to join Lilleah."

"Anyway, enough about my evening, Nesta - how was your meeting with Ryla Sedai? And yours, Ella?"

"Bad enough... they wanted to know where I learned to Heal"
    , Nesta shakes her head, "And, for that matter, where I learned to Rend. Sorry, Ella... I... mentioned your name. I had to name someone, and I thought you would have the answer ready anyway... and I only said you told me about it, not showed it to us. I'd much rather join you at your practice..."
    Last edited by jamieth; 2017-05-04 at 02:42 AM.

Extended signature

24. - Top - End - #204

-Day before-

Ella processes the information quickly. Should she press for information? Should she quit while she's not cleaning a stove? The wanting wins over the fear.

"Ellinar Sedai. What else can you tell me about that woman? Please..." Ella pleads with a tear running down her cheek "I've never even saw my father..."

- Now -

"Why did you tell them about it? You know how the yellow are about proper use of weaves, and especially those connected to healing..." Ella bursts.

Then recollecting herself, visibly calmer she adds "In the big picture it's of no importance. Don't worry about it Nesta, I'll tell them the truth. If they want to chastise me for it, I'll take it."

25. - Top - End - #205

Lileah, with Nicaene

"Hmm..." she considers as she goes over the information. Someone talking about the last battle and spouting lines from prophecy. She knows, as part of her training as a noble, some of the prophecy is known to those that want to seek it out though she never got that far as to know some herself. Or really even the old tongue, though she can recognize it when she sees it for the most part despite not being able to know what it means. Still, the Core... ini...thian cycle? Something like that maybe. A sister might know. A sister would know, rather. And a Kandori Merchant's meeting?

The fish blight part though... flashes of her dream return to her and she loses her composure for a moment. Not that she was serene or cool as Aes Sedai, but her usual smile and posture lax for a moment until she blinks her eyes and returns to standing properly again. She sees those eyes. The darkness behind them in that one fish. Three fish. One turning against the others. Someone trying to spear them? Barrels... She shakes her head this time.

"Sorry... distracted myself for a moment," she says to thwart any of her companion's comments of curious concern. "Well, I take it you want into this Kandori meeting and they'll only accept nobles. Well, while I... technically qualify as a noble, I don't know if any Kandori know the name Darshawn. Kandor is far from Caemlyn and Cairhien. And even so... I'm a child in the eyes of, well, everyone."

She bubbles with a smile for a moment and knocks her head from side to side.

"While I could represent my father, a metalware's merchant with numerous smithies and shops and trade routes well-established between Tar Valon, Cairhien and Caemlyn, I'm not sure I'd get admitted. Perhaps. What do you seek to gain when you get there?"

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

"Seek to gain? The backer's identity, I suppose. But wait a second, Lilleah. You're not thinking of going with me, are you? I was just asking for some advice!"

Nicaene realised her mistake far too late. She should never have mentioned the job to Lilleah. The probable path of this conversation was all too clear. Still, Nicaene made at least a token attempt at resistance.

"Look, this task was entrusted to Hala and me. I'm not supposed to drag my betters into it. And however well you might choose to treat me, you are my better. I exist to ease your burdens; Not the other way round!"

This was the difficult part of their relationship. Nicaene wasn't supposed to be so familiar with a novice. At first, she'd resisted Lilleah's attempts to bring them closer together. But over time, the trainee's formality had weakened. She'd learnt to relax around this girl: And now she was paying the price for that.

27. - Top - End - #207

Lilleah, to Nicaene

"Well, how else were you going to get in and find out then?" she begins with a slight tilt to her head and a raised brow. She meant to be implying that her thoughts on the matter were well thought out. In truth, she was excited to have a reason to put her dress back on. Oh, but would it be ready? It probably needed to be adjusted as she came to the tower at the age of 14 afterall. Would she still even fit the thing? And what condition would it be in having been stored for two years? That and she didn't have any of her old pains or colors and her hair! By the light, no she couldn't present herself before noble company without at least a day or more getting ready. Still, she was so excited to want to at least try and this was the only day off she'd have a chance to do this. Well, until fall's Da Reed maybe.

"Very well, I understand," she says as she seems to deflate a little but also not appear too disappointed. More humbled by her thoughts. Excitement or not, this behavior was the exact reason why Nicaene almost died the other day. Why she'd lost the ability to channel for a whole day... which hadn't returned just yet either, she noted. "After these recent... events, I best not get so excited over something and go running off."

She begins to pace a little as she plays with her fingers and glances upward into nothing as rattles off her thoughts. "Well, you... you could claim to be me then. My older sister was... well, I have an older sister so you could claim to be her. Darshawn is probably unknown to Kandori so faces are definitely unknown. I'm not sure you can pull that off, but if you could, you're welcome to try and I could teach you little on how. We'd have until tonight. Otherwise... well... some channeling might help. I know some weaves that might help... listen in. Again, I know, involvement. Isn't Hala good at sneaking around? I hear that's what Aiel were really good at. That and killing. You could sneak in and listen in. She can, rather. If this person is receiving some backing from merchants then there's... how many merchants are there? Do you know? Three of them? Are there three of anyone?"

28. - Top - End - #208

PirateWench

Though none question her on it, between three Aes Sedai could her lie have gone unnoticed?

"Be that as it may, I do hope you do not pursue that path. You have quite a Talent, and not one we would see wasted."

"We called you here today to ask if you had considered where you might apply yourself. Should you pass the test for Accepted you will have the opportunity to seek out a path, and teachers if they are willing to instruct you. From that path you would then choose an Ajah should you become a full sister. I am curious as to whether you might seek the path of Healing?"

Ella - The Evening Before

Ellinar takes a long breath examining you, something about what you've said giving her pause for thought. "It couldn't be..."

"Her name was Malia, she was from Baerlon and she was a good woman. We Aes Sedai are not meant to admit to mistakes and yet I find myself confessing to two within the space of two days. We drove her to her death in our pursuit. I cannot think that she has anything to do with your father, whomever he is, though perhaps it is more than a coincedence. The Wheel weaves as it will."

"We put our mission before our compassion and that was costly, take this as a lesson child, never be so single minded that you forget compassion, remember that."

"I cannot tell you more I fear, some secrets must stay buried."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Nicaene relaxed again. Crisis averted! It seems their little brush with danger had left an impression on Lilleah. Maybe she'd be a bit more cautious from now on; Though hopefully not too cautious. Lilleah's mischief and curiosity made her a wonderful friend. Nicaene wouldn't dream of extinguishing them.

Right, back to planning. Lilleah's suggestion of disguise provoked a wry chuckle. Nicaene had no confidence in her ability to pull off that particular plan.

"Me as a noble? Ha! I can just picture it: Lady Nicaene swanning into the hall, wearing...Actually, I can show you. You'll get a smile out of this."

Nicaene rummaged beneath her bed, and extracted something. She then disappeared behind a hanging curtain that the guardswomen used when they needed some privacy. The sound of shifting fabric could be heard for a minute. Then Nicaene emerged again: Wearing a very nice green dress. The newly 'ennobled' girl walked slowly forward; With the awkward movements of someone trying not to trip over their own garments. The curtsey she gave upon reaching Lilleah was just as bad. And when she spoke, her voice vaguely resembled a noble's accent (if you heard it from two rooms away while nearly deaf).

"How do you do? The Lady Nicaene at your service. Pleased to make your acquai...acquai...*giggle*...Ha, see what I mean? I can't even keep up the voice for three sentences. No amount of fine clothes or accessories will change me into someone else. One of the Sisters ordered me to buy this thing when I first arrived: And it looks just as ridiculous on me as I told her it would."

30. - Top - End - #210

- Yesterday -
    Malia, Baerlon, earrings - the words flashed as she listened to the Aes Sedai tale. Amidst the older woman distress and shame, Ella was trying to scavenge information, leads so she could reach her goal. The words hammered her thoughts and ideas seemed to sprout from every word.

-the wheel weaves as the wheel needs -

"I am sure you did your best... I don't want to pry on your secrets Ma'am but..." says Ella still shaken and lost in her thoughts. In a second her questions pour "What was her last name? What skill did she had to help an Aes Sedai? Was she of a Noble family?"