New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle II - I don't THINK Gara got robbed I KNOW he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Are they? Name me a single ninja who has ever died by a sword in Naruto.
    Half the people in this video?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ettin in the Playground

Bullets are supposed to be lethal to who again in One Piece?

Luffy is immune to musket balls from the first Tankobon. A guy who is capable of splitting warships in two and casually deflects bullets is introduced in Tankobon 6. Zoro upgrades to being able to split cannon balls past Alabasta arc and both him and Luffy explicitly take direct hits comparable to artillery rounds in Skypie and Water 7 arcs.

The high end of the series has guy who can literally move at light speed due to turning into literal ray of light, and can shoots lasers.

Really, anyone who thinks One Piece as a whole is less powerful or "more realistic" than Naruto or Bleach really, really needs to go reread Skypiea arc and refresh their memory on all the things Eneru does. And then remind themselves that Eneru is a mid-series villain in OP who is easily topped by even more absurd characters in the series.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Half the people in this video?
    But how many can you name?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #1324

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Bullets are supposed to be lethal to who again in One Piece?

Luffy is immune to musket balls from the first Tankobon. A guy who is capable of splitting warships in two and casually deflects bullets is introduced in Tankobon 6. Zoro upgrades to being able to split cannon balls past Alabasta arc and both him and Luffy explicitly take direct hits comparable to artillery rounds in Skypie and Water 7 arcs.

The high end of the series has guy who can literally move at light speed due to turning into literal ray of light, and can shoots lasers.

Really, anyone who thinks One Piece as a whole is less powerful or "more realistic" than Naruto or Bleach really, really needs to go reread Skypiea arc and refresh their memory on all the things Eneru does. And then remind themselves that Eneru is a mid-series villain in OP who is easily topped by even more absurd characters in the series.
    Well bullets DO work on people who arent prepared for them. Law for example took about 9 shots to the back from doflamingo and nearly bled out from that, and kept having flashbacks of that corazon guy getting killed with them. And although enhanced, obviously, blades also clearly work as seen by luffy at marineford nearly defecating himself when he realized mihawk was about to "disarm" him (hur hur) Not too mention all the people zoro has taken out over the adventures. Speaking of law, none of the youtube videos cover it. How DID he survive all those bullets, and get his arm back and so on and so forth? Last I saw was, he was being carried off with his new nickname of lefty by cavendish, then we flash forward to when he switched luffy with violet while doflamingo was forcing rebecca to kill her because even beaten half to death, doflamingo is a sadistic bastard.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    But how many can you name?
    Exactly, I asked for names.

Random nameless, same faced Chuunin are background props, not characters.

6. - Top - End - #1326

When kiba was fighting sakon and ukon or whatever the siamese twins were called on the sasuke retrieval mission, he setup an exploding knife trap. It NAILED the guy, and the only reason he lived was some crazy ass "Lets merge together and that lets me ignore my lethal wounds" move. In the very first adventure, iruka takes vicious injuries from kunai and shuriken from mizuki, again the only reason he survived was naruto using his plot armor to protect him from the finishing blow. Iruka was dead meat and virtually crippled. When haku put zabuza in a false death state, kakashi, a highly experienced ninja, believed that needles were an effective tool for murdering powerful ninja. Kunai shuriken and swords are treated as clearly lethal threats in naruto no matter how hard you try to pretend they arent just because noone specifically in the main cast dies to them.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't Zabuza die to like, a bunch of shuriken and kunai sticking out of him or something? like, Gato and his mercs like, filled him up with blades and he fell over giving a speech about him and Haku? like not even enhanced ones, just, plain ol' blades, and Zabuza was like, a jonin level ninja which is like, y'know, the rank just under kage?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ettin in the Playground

"Swords and Kunai are lethal" is a non-argument. Those are muscle-powered devices, they scale in power in direct proportion to the physical and metaphysical might of the wielder.

Similarly, the knife-trap is a non-argument. That's exactly the same as saying "nails are lethal because you can put them in a shrapnel bomb!" Well duh they are. That's not representativw of what a normal human can do with such an item.

In all three settings, we have examples of people being threatening with mundane items because of extraordinary skill and superhuman might. In all three settings we also have examples of characters who are utterly immune to same items when wielded by normal people. One Piece actually has most such examples because it has most scenes of mundane people trying to stop the protagonist.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

When kiba was fighting sakon and ukon or whatever the siamese twins were called on the sasuke retrieval mission, he setup an exploding knife trap. It NAILED the guy, and the only reason he lived was some crazy ass "Lets merge together and that lets me ignore my lethal wounds" move. In the very first adventure, iruka takes vicious injuries from kunai and shuriken from mizuki, again the only reason he survived was naruto using his plot armor to protect him from the finishing blow. Iruka was dead meat and virtually crippled. When haku put zabuza in a false death state, kakashi, a highly experienced ninja, believed that needles were an effective tool for murdering powerful ninja. Kunai shuriken and swords are treated as clearly lethal threats in naruto no matter how hard you try to pretend they arent just because noone specifically in the main cast dies to them.
    It's not just the main cast, NOBODY named dies from a sword or knife in the entire series, to my knowledge.

Mind you that's not because swords/knives are nonlethal in universe, it's just a funny quirk of the series. Dedicated swordsmen exist to get chumped out in Naruto, and knives are exclusively used to reposition people for more effective attacks. It's part of the charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Didn't Zabuza die to like, a bunch of shuriken and kunai sticking out of him or something? like, Gato and his mercs like, filled him up with blades and he fell over giving a speech about him and Haku? like not even enhanced ones, just, plain ol' blades, and Zabuza was like, a jonin level ninja which is like, y'know, the rank just under kage?
    Two points here, one minor, one kinda nitpicky.

1.) Zabuza TECHNICALLY expired from knife/spear wounds...after he was already stabbed through the chest with lightning and had both his arms paralyzed by enormous dogs fighting Kakashi. He then basically committed seppuku by killing a dozen guys with his ****ing teeth and making little to no effort to dodge their attacks so he could beeline Gato. Zabuza, specifically, only died because of a combination of being too weak at the moment to properly defend himself and because he WANTED to die anyway after he realized he really did care a whole lot about Haku.

2.) There are several "ranks" between Jonin and Kage. Jonin is a leadership rank that denotes a certain level of skill, and is sort of the highest OFFICIAL rank (though Special Jonin is above that, even), but there's a wide gulf of strength between your average Jonin and a Kage and there's Special Jonin, village specific superheroes like Sannin, S-Class Ninja (most of the Akatsuki fall here) and the catch-all "Kage level ninja" for people who can 1 v 1 manfight a Kage in their prime. Jonin, yes, is the rank just under Kage, in sort of the same way General is the military rank just under the president (with the same nuance that a one star and four star General have vastly different levels of authority).

10. - Top - End - #1330

Point of order, he didnt get stabbed int he chest, HAKU took the chest stab for him. His arms were mangled by the dog summons though. Speaking of nails, pein almost executed kakashi with a roofing nail. Without mangekyo hax he would have been murdered by carpentry gear. And wouldnt THAT have been an embarrassing way to die? Here he is, in ninja valhalla, sharing tales with his fellow warriors who died in battle.

Gais dad "Yeah I took on all 7 of the swordsmen of the mist to get my son time to escape. Opened all the gates and held those punks off even as a genin. How about you kakashi? I always knew you would do great things."

Kakashi "Uhh, I got murdered by a nail"

Gais dad "You mean some crazy ninja technique where they sharpen their nails to cut through concrete?"

Kakashi "Uh no, just a roofing nail. The bad guy hurled it into my heart while I was stuck in some rubble."

Gais dad "Oh... ummm well anyways, I heard my son stopped by for a visit before some kid with the 6 path powers saved him. Turns out he nearly died punching a black hole into undead madera uchihas torso."

Kakashi "Oh shut up."

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

For some reason I remember Kakashi taking another stab (heh) at it and succeeding the second time, but it's been so long I'm probably wrong.

12. - Top - End - #1332

Naruto death battle blurb is up. Geez it seems to cover even less than usual. It mentions what chakra is, says naruto has a lot of that plus a chakra beast in his belly, and his goal in life. No mention of any of his skills. Im honestly curious to see the full thing, he has a surprising amount of skills and energy sources they will have to explain. Personal chakra, demon chakra, sage chakra, six path mode and what it can do, etc etc etc. I guess ichigo is the same, cant recall if he really had all his energy sources at one time though.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

Naruto death battle blurb is up. Geez it seems to cover even less than usual. It mentions what chakra is, says naruto has a lot of that plus a chakra beast in his belly, and his goal in life. No mention of any of his skills. Im honestly curious to see the full thing, he has a surprising amount of skills and energy sources they will have to explain. Personal chakra, demon chakra, sage chakra, six path mode and what it can do, etc etc etc. I guess ichigo is the same, cant recall if he really had all his energy sources at one time though.
    Because it is two minutes and that's the way they do it often? We'll definitely get more in the full episode...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

I realized something: Other than the highly questionable Bayonetta vs Dante, no male has ever defeated a female opponent on Death Battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    I realized something: Other than the highly questionable Bayonetta vs Dante, no male has ever defeated a female opponent on Death Battle.
    How many of them are there?

Troph vs Garra - Garra wins. (So that's another strike)

Bayonetta vs Dante - Dante wins.

Wonderwoman vs Thor - Wonderwoman Wins

Rainbow Dash vs Starscream (I don't know if Starscream counts as having a gender though) - Rainbow Dash wins.

Deadpool vs Pinkie Pie - Happy Birthday

Samus vs Boba Fett - Samus wins.

Can you think of any more?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

Boba Fett vs. Samus Aran
    Justin Bieber vs. Rebecca Black - Draw
    Starscream vs. Rainbow Dash
    Gaara vs. Toph
    Dante vs. Bayonetta
    Meta vs. Agent Carolina
    Tracer vs. Scout
    Zoro vs. Erza
    Deadpool vs. Pinkie Pie - Draw
    Lara Croft vs. Nathan Drake
    Lucario vs. Renamon
    Thor vs. Wonder Woman

Male wins: 3
    Female wins: 7
    Draws: 2
    Last edited by Celestia; 2017-10-27 at 12:17 AM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

Was Lucario specified as male? Like, was it the Lucario from the anime movie?

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Was Lucario specified as male? Like, was it the Lucario from the anime movie?
    If I remember correctly, Lucario does speak (telepathically) during the episode and has a guy's voice.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

You can't count that one though. Digimon genders are fluid, and this isn't some PC stuff I'm spouting. Renamon in particular is a perfect example, since IT has been in more than one season (and game) and has been a different gender almost each time. Hell, in the most recent digimon game on ps4, Renamon MAY sound female, but calls itself (and is referred to by all but one member of the cast) as HE. Angewoman is ALSO a he at times depending on digimon, as well as Angemon has been a she. With digimon, it's just best to ignore genders entirely. They will tell which(if any. Neutral is also a gender) if the need ever comes up for it.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    You can't count that one though. Digimon genders are fluid, and this isn't some PC stuff I'm spouting. Renamon in particular is a perfect example, since IT has been in more than one season (and game) and has been a different gender almost each time. Hell, in the most recent digimon game on ps4, Renamon MAY sound female, but calls itself (and is referred to by all but one member of the cast) as HE. Angewoman is ALSO a he at times depending on digimon, as well as Angemon has been a she. With digimon, it's just best to ignore genders entirely. They will tell which(if any. Neutral is also a gender) if the need ever comes up for it.
    I guess that makes sense with Digimon being computer programs and such.

So, discounting that battle, that's two wins for the men and seven for the women.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Case in point.

Although I think in the English dub she IS referred to as female, but it's been so long since I watched it I can't recall anything explicit. Though in the German dub she's played by a man so...full circle?
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-10-27 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Found a fun link while searching for a video of the German dub

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Troll in the Playground

Who would be a good combatant for a Magicka (first game) Wizard to face?

That's a fight I'd like to see.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Case in point.

Although I think in the English dub she IS referred to as female, but it's been so long since I watched it I can't recall anything explicit. Though in the German dub she's played by a man so...full circle?
    In the original voice track for that scene, Renamon was obviously just deflecting because she was flustered (and said 'Digimon aren't real creatures', to boot). The dub kinda changed the meaning of her line for whatever reason.

In the Japanese language version, Digimon absolutely identify as male or female (or sometimes neither, but most seem to default to 'male' instead of 'neuter'), and it's usually obvious which one they are because Japanese has a lot of gendered pronouns. Even first-person ones.

Japan is actually a really conservative country when it comes to gender politics. Especially back in 2001.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2017-10-29 at 03:41 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Japan is actually a really conservative country when it comes to gender politics. Especially back in 2001.
    Japan is an incredibly conservative country in most ways - people just tend to look at a handful of weird things and assume the country must be wall to wall bizarre, when that really isn't the case. Plus, it's not like the presence of a really weird fringe is in any way an indicator that the dominant culture isn't conservative; if anything those places tend to have the weirdest fringe counter cultures.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Japan is an incredibly conservative country in most ways - people just tend to look at a handful of weird things and assume the country must be wall to wall bizarre, when that really isn't the case. Plus, it's not like the presence of a really weird fringe is in any way an indicator that the dominant culture isn't conservative; if anything those places tend to have the weirdest fringe counter cultures.
    The thing with Japan is largely about age. During the 80s, Japan experienced an incredibly sharp generational divide. The kids in the 80s grew up in an era of great economic growth and wealth. Japan was heading towards a new golden age. Meanwhile, their parents and grandparents still remembered the harshness and suffering from WWII and the years immediately following it. This lead to a cultural division between the two groups as neither could relate to the other in any significant way. The kids became rebellious, leading to a rise in youth crime and gang activity, while the adults retreated even further into conservatism. Quite a few stories came directly out of this situation, like Akira and Grave of the Fireflies.

Over time, the cultural divide grew more distant and became a political divide with the conservative adults and liberal kids. Of course, the Japanese government is still largely conservative as it's still ruled by the older generation, but the youth are typically about as liberal as your average Californian. I find it all quite interesting.

26. - Top - End - #1346

So back to the fight, im leaning more and more heavily towards naruto winning this. They have surprisingly similar ability sets In that end game both are known for incredible speed, both can unleash impressive amounts of damage, both can TANK impressive amounts of damage (Part of the standard shonen hero ability list) Both can fight comfortably up close or at range. Naruto has more flexibility than ichigo does, but it honestly amounts to little more than fluff, not crunch. A rasenshuriken will dice ichigo as fast as any other elemental rasengan will kill him, and none are appreciably more powerful than the others as far as I know. He has his bijudamas which he can spit out like watermelon seeds though, while ichigos getsuga isnt quite as fast and naruto in full kyuubi form can unleash a large number of attacks at once, not even counting shadow clone kurama forms. I think in the end unless death battle does some math that shows ichigo having some sort of advantage through the tale of the tape, meaning the judge him faster/stronger/more durable or some combination of the three, that naruto is going to win. But thats just my impression as of now. Like I said, death battle is known for its math shenanigans, and also their mastery of troll no jutsu when it comes to battle outcomes. So it will all come down to whatever base stats they assign the two.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Who would be a good combatant for a Magicka (first game) Wizard to face?

That's a fight I'd like to see.
    Everyone from Smash Brothers, simultaneously.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    Everyone from Smash Brothers, simultaneously.
    How about Prophet from the first Crysis vs the Main Character Wizard from Magicka? They did a dbx with prophet vs a predator already. Prophet has multiple types of modes and the Wizard from Magicka has multiple kinds of spells.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

29. - Top - End - #1349

Ichigo blurb is up. They mention invisibility, so im kinda curious how that will work, I figured they would gloss over that but meh, its not like naruto doesnt have a dozen different ways to sense his presence, assuming they dont just say, "As someone who USES spiritual energy as well as physical, naruto of course can see ichighost."

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

I think they're probably going to go with "Naruto couldn't see Sage of Six Paths Madara and needed Sasuke's help for that" because I don't think even when he got the superpower up at the end there he could do that.

But in most of his super modes he can sense both living creatures and emotions (particularly hostile ones directed at him) so it's not likely to be a real hindrance either way.