New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Bibliography II

1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Bibliography II

First off, Satomi lost her "normal" status the second she witnessed the Jack battle. Early on, I think Eve said that those exposed to a strong aura (the kind people of that caliber release in combat) tend to awaken. They don't become pages, they just can see things that are really there rather than what they assume should be there. She assumed that was the cause of Ben's awakening, but it seems his family may be tied to that status instead.

As for the hiding in plain site thing, I think it's the Discwold phenomena again. On the Disc, people don't see things like Death (among other things) because their brains refuse to admit it. This act of mental defiance of facts is so pervasive that he can sit down at a bar, converse casually with his fellow drinkers and the bartender, pay and leave, and afterwards people can only describe him as wearing black and being rather... thin... (one might even say "skeletal")

Whether it's a spiritual cause, simple does-not-compute denial, or an active "perception filter" that is placed on pages to protect everyone involved, nobody who isn't awakened can see the horns or the floating eyes or the fin-like ears. There brains just never look twice, because there's clearly nothing to see, right?

All told, however, it's standard Shonen rules: the real world exists, the world of monsters exists, the two aren't as separate as everyone assumes. The world is like that because the world is a shonen-style setting and that really is all there has to be about it. This also explains gravity-defying hair, ready acceptance of preposterous revelations, and virtual immortality as long as you can avoid dramatic memories of your past while suffering life threatening injuries.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2010-09-24 at 08:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    This also explains gravity-defying hair, ready acceptance of preposterous revelations, and virtual immortality as long as you can avoid dramatic memories of your past while suffering life threatening injuries.
    Ben's hair isn't that gravity-defying.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #903
    Barbarian in the Playground

This also explains gravity-defying hair, ready acceptance of preposterous revelations, and virtual immortality as long as you can avoid dramatic memories of your past while suffering life threatening injuries.
    Ow. A paper-cut*,it feels like I am 6 again. When I was 6 I got a lot of paper-cuts*. (Dies)
    *Treevenge
    Last edited by EternalMelon; 2010-09-24 at 08:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    With a roar of effort, I make everyone agree with EternalMelon.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

4. - Top - End - #904
    Orc in the Playground

...and virtual immortality as long as you can avoid dramatic memories of your past while suffering life threatening injuries.
    It's sometimes averted, when said dramatic memories give the character strength to survive and win the fight (NNITO).
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

5. - Top - End - #905

Page 13

Another page up.

I've been spending so much time on backgrounds. Hope it shows.

Yikes, I've got two exactly opposite viewpoints here. One who likes it, and one who doesn't like it. Well, I like it myself, so I'm probably going to keep it, but I guess this just goes to show you can't please everybody all the time.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Colossus in the Playground

Eve looks a little bit off-model in the second-to-last panel (The one superimposed over the last splash panel). Still really good though!

7. - Top - End - #907
    Bugbear in the Playground

An arena huh. the words "tournement arc" spring to mind

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

*Awaits the inevitable tournament arc along with Crafty Cultist*

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Elagune View Post
    Page 13

Another page up.

I've been spending so much time on backgrounds. Hope it shows.

Yikes, I've got two exactly opposite viewpoints here. One who likes it, and one who doesn't like it. Well, I like it myself, so I'm probably going to keep it, but I guess this just goes to show you can't please everybody all the time.
    Page is good, and I really like that Saotomi is going to get her own Whitebox weapon. Hopefully it's a useful power beyond the typical "girl power" sets like healing.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Bibliography II

The backgrounds are nice Elagune, no need to worry there

I too smell tournament arc (and mackerel, but that's unrelated) but I'm suspicious that it might be a trick to take our focus away from the important stuff.

Like meat, that's important
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

11. - Top - End - #911

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    An arena huh. the words "tournement arc" spring to mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    *Awaits the inevitable tournament arc along with Crafty Cultist*
    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I too smell tournament arc.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down. We haven't even seen a training time skip, so there's no way he's prepared for an arena battle. Nor is there a pressing need to get the money to buy friends out of slavery or stop a martian invasion.
    Hoc Dictum Videtur Esse Melius In Latine.
    This Motto Sounds Better In Latin.
    Cadimus Concordia.
    United We Fall.
    Nolite Hamena Machinae Timere, Nam Iusta Erunt.
    Do Not Fear The Reign Of Machines, For They Shall Be Just.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

I agree with HypoSoc here. It's probably too early for a tourney arc, what with no one in the main cast having any idea of what their powers really do. I think it's put in as a chekov's gun building.

But it still goes without saying that the probability of there not being a tourney arc are roughly as low as those of Satomi not getting her own Sigil.
    Truth resists simplicity.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't expect an immediate tournament arc. I'm just saying that virtually every Shonen series has one; It's coming eventually, and the Arena is right there.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

14. - Top - End - #914

Planetar

I think though, that Raoul, being a sports guy, will want in. Especially because Eve just called it a sport.

This, of course, assumes that he can get there in the first place, what with lacking a sense of direction and all.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #915

It's the Page Wresting Federation... Enterta... no, wait!

PAGE WRESTLING NATIONAL!!! (the PWN)
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

16. - Top - End - #916

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I don't expect an immediate tournament arc. I'm just saying that virtually every Shonen series has one; It's coming eventually, and the Arena is right there.
    Exactly. It probably wont happen for a while but arenas and tournaments go hand in hand.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

I was expecting to be ninja'd on "tournament arc", but still...

18. - Top - End - #918

I actually am going to voice the idea of Satomi entering the tourney with her newfound whitebox and not telling any of the others about it. And when inevitably she turns out to be a super-awesome masked combatant Raoul and/or Ben will want to face her alter-ego in the area, and accidentally reveal her identity. This may or may not go hand-in-hand with a dark corrupting benefactor aiding her ascent to power.

19. - Top - End - #919

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Page is good, and I really like that Saotomi is going to get her own Whitebox weapon. Hopefully it's a useful power beyond the typical "girl power" sets like healing.
    She must now have the most destructive powers of all. Blow things up, even when you don't want to!

Anyway, I like the art on the page... maybe it was just something last time, cause Eve looks fine in this one.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

All the Whitebox Weapon's we've seen have been offensive in nature. I very much doubt that you'd get a Support one, especially since they are based off the users personality. Ben gets a book for obvious reasons. Terry gets Swords, for equally obvious reasons. Gloria, who seems somewhat lazy and/or bossy to me, gets a pair of burly minions to do her work for her. Aaron, with his whole Superhero thing, gets the Hero's Cape. I wouldn't be surprised if White Bart was considered or saw himself as a Leader, considering his weapon looks like a flag or banner.
    I don't know what Whitebox Weapon Satomi would get, but I don't think it would be Healing.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-09-27 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Gloria, who seems somewhat lazy and/or bossy to me, gets a pair of burly minions to do her work for her.
    I thought Gloria was a Page?

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I'm pretty sure she's a Librarian, she certainly seems to be holding a Sigil here, and Here she is using them. It looks like she has two sigils that are essentially the same weapon (Each summons a Sarcophogus Ogre), and she deploys them Librarian-style (Saying their name) Rather than Page-Style (Spell #: Spell Name).
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

23. - Top - End - #923
    Firbolg in the Playground

If Gloria wasn't a Librarian, why would she be the Official Librarian Coach?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    All the Whitebox Weapon's we've seen have been offensive in nature. I very much doubt that you'd get a Support one, especially since they are based off the users personality. Ben gets a book for obvious reasons. Terry gets Swords, for equally obvious reasons. Gloria, who seems somewhat lazy and/or bossy to me, gets a pair of burly minions to do her work for her. Aaron, with his whole Superhero thing, gets the Hero's Cape. I wouldn't be surprised if White Bart was considered or saw himself as a Leader, considering his weapon looks like a flag or banner.
    I don't know what Whitebox Weapon Satomi would get, but I don't think it would be Healing.
    Technically Ben's is defensive even more than it is offensive, since it can block more than it can shoot.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #925

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Technically Ben's is defensive even more than it is offensive, since it can block more than it can shoot.
    for now anyway. eventually he might be able to magnify, alter, or combine powers into a devastating force, but I doubt the absorbsion effect will improve to the same level

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    She could be a Page and a Sigil-holding Librarian. As Eve said in this page, a Sigil is like a gun, anyone can get one, assuming that the meet the requirements to do so.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

She could be a Page and a Sigil-holding Librarian. As Eve said in this page, a Sigil is like a gun, anyone can get one, assuming that the meet the requirements to do so.
    Yes. Just like a gun. Except for the giant ogre servants, the elemental attacks, the power absorbtion, the comic bookness, the personalities of their own...

Yes i know what you meant. Being a smartass is fun =D
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-09-27 at 08:58 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

I now have a weird image of a six-armed Page going More Dakka and looking like a Hindu god while doing so.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-09-27 at 08:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That dosn't mean that Pages can use Sigils, it just means that you don't need to be a librarian to use one. Ben technically isn't a librarian (Yet), and he has one.
    If Pages could use Sigils, then why use Human librarians at all, why not Page Librarians, the powers of a page plus a whitebox weapon.
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #930

Page 14

I've been watching a lot of documentaries on the net lately, and I love it because I don't have to focus to listen. This means I can draw and learn at the same time! I've gone through a seven-episode series on animals and their superpowers, a 3-hour documentary on the Great Wall of China, and a documentary on kung-fu weapons already, and am now watching a series about the universe.

I feel smarter already, and unlike watching South Park it actually lets me concentrate on the comic. It's a win-win!
    Last edited by Elagune; 2010-09-28 at 12:41 AM.