New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Actually, while the heading of the section is "humanoids and class levels" the actual text of the rule is that "creatures" with 1 HD or less lose the racial hit die when advancing by class. "Creatures" means everything regardless of type.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

So they're just repeating themselves in the humanoid type description? Great.

That paragraph makes even LESS sense.

Their example is a GOBLIN who takes a level in sorcerer, and loses the benefits of the humanoid type. Goblins are humanoids, and by the rules for the humanoid type for 1HD creatures does not get any of the benefits of the type.

To say this is a mess is an understatement.
    Last edited by Taelas; 2011-11-17 at 07:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's total darkness, so if you don't have darkvision, you're blind, so your book gains a 50% miss chance, and you can't make Spot checks to read it.
    Thank you, E. Groucho Gygax.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szar_Lakol View Post
    That reminds me.

Aasimar (and Tiefling) are broken.

You do not exchange your RHD unless you are Humanoid. (Even Monstrous Humanoid doesn't, though there aren't any 1 HD Monstrous Humanoids in the MM. Maybe there is in one of the others, haven't checked.)

The Aasimar and Tiefling examples in the MM are 1st-level warriors, yet they only have 1 HD.

Since they don't exchange any RHD they might have for class levels, they have to have 0 RHD, which doesn't make any sense (which is probably why Humanoids have the whole "exchange" line to begin with).

Pixies have the exchange line too, which is doubly weird, since both grigs and nixies, the other two sprites, have 1 RHD also (actually, grigs only have ½, and how does that work? Do they get half as much of everything, or only hit points?) and have level adjustments, so they can take class levels. So a 1st level nixie rogue has 2 HD, but a 1st level pixie rogue has only one? What? THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

EDIT: Oh, and a pixie Barbarian forgets how to read after taking a level in the class.
    well, they are rather broken, but it's mainly for alter self abuse due to their outsider type. what you actually gain for them themselves is somewhat tame.

aasimar/tielfings don't come with any racial HD in order to encourage players to use them as characters, don't know why, they just do

you do not exchange your RHD unless you have less than 2 of them (to my understanding) and pretty much the only ones who fulfill that are humanoids, who are almost all ok for PCs or small animals/vermin, who are usually not intelligent enough to qualify (awakening aside)

the problem is that this comes from savage species which had a few... proofreading errors, to say the least.

So they're just repeating themselves in the humanoid type description? Great.

That paragraph makes even LESS sense.

Their example is a GOBLIN who takes a level in sorcerer, and loses the benefits of the humanoid type. Goblins are humanoids, and by the rules for the humanoid type for 1HD creatures does not get any of the benefits of the type.

To say this is a mess is an understatement.

wait a second...

so if you wanted to play as... a jermlaine, for example, for alter self abuse, then you wouldn't gain any of the fey type attributes?

do you mean they don't get any of the "features" (racial HD,skillpoints,feats) because that is true

even if they take class levels, they get to keep "traits" which is all the good stuff (like not needing to eat or sleep for outsiders and MWP)

it is confusing though, and planetouched are pretty borked
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no.

For any creature other than humanoid you lose the HD (so base attack bonus, saves, skills, feats, etc), and what it gives you, but not what the type gives (such as proficiency in simple weapons). For humanoids, you lose everything, as it specifically calls out that it's different when you have a class.
    Last edited by Taelas; 2011-11-17 at 08:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

No, no.

For any creature other than humanoid you lose the HD (so base attack bonus, saves, skills, feats, etc), and what it gives you, but not what the type gives (such as proficiency in simple weapons). For humanoids, you lose everything, as it specifically calls out that it's different when you have a class.
    oh, okay. thanks for the clarification.

I'm dealing with that in a game right now, it's a bit of a pain
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Humanoids have the 1 HD replaced automatically. If it would only have 1 HD, it instead has a class level. Anything that is not Humanoid that has only 1 HD can have that HD until it takes a class level.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Also, Humanoids have the 1 HD replaced automatically. If it would only have 1 HD, it instead has a class level. Anything that is not Humanoid that has only 1 HD can have that HD until it takes a class level.
    Right. The general rule for advancing with class levels if you have one or less HD is in Monster Advancement under the heading "Humanoids and Class Levels", nothing in the rule specifies humanoids! The general rule for what creatures advance by class level has to do with a humanoid shape, but not the type. I suspect the header was written by someone thinking about the shape not the type, which is bad when the word "humanoid" is a term of art in D&D writing.

The whole rule for interactions with 1 HD or less monsters is actually superceeded for the humanoid type by the rule in the humanoid type description where the rule does specify that it superceeds the normal rules for how types apply with class levels!

The heading in the Monster Advancement section could not be more confusing if it were deliberately designed to be confusing since the rule that ACTUALLY covers that situation is in the type description and is different.

DougL

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Dont know if anyone mentioned this yet, but swordsage's 6*(6+int) skill points at first level means they have to put some skill points in skills they cant max. Not an error per-se, just amusing.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

I have one...

You're a titan. You just threw your huge javelin 150 ft and you couldn't reach a target 200 ft away. How do you feel now?

11. - Top - End - #521
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Most exotic weapons.

I can kick butt with a spear but you add a sharp hook at the base of the spear blade and I become completely lost. "Huh, what is this strange new weapon that is almost exactly like a spear....whoops, this alien weapon is very hard to aim."

I can beat your butt with this stick I found on the ground, but if i lash some antlers to the tip of it, It is suddenly strange and foreign.

I can club you just fine, but tie a tiger skull to the top and suddenly I whiff.

I can click this trigger and fire a crossbow bolt with no problem, but if the crossbow is augmented to shoot icicles (god knows why) suddenly pulling the trigger got a little bit harder.

Spikes on my gauntlet... no problem. Blades on my gauntlet... CRAZY TALK! You need a feat for that!@

Sickle... no problem. Kopesh... wait.. I am supposed to hook the opponents legs and trip him? Well how will I ever do that with this strange odd shaped weapon?!

For God's sake, DO NOT add any hooks, spikes or blades to any of my "normal" pole weapons. That crap confuses the hell out of me.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    Most exotic weapons.

I can kick butt with a spear but you add a sharp hook at the base of the spear blade and I become completely lost. "Huh, what is this strange new weapon that is almost exactly like a spear....whoops, this alien weapon is very hard to aim."

I can beat your butt with this stick I found on the ground, but if i lash some antlers to the tip of it, It is suddenly strange and foreign.

I can club you just fine, but tie a tiger skull to the top and suddenly I whiff.

I can click this trigger and fire a crossbow bolt with no problem, but if the crossbow is augmented to shoot icicles (god knows why) suddenly pulling the trigger got a little bit harder.

Spikes on my gauntlet... no problem. Blades on my gauntlet... CRAZY TALK! You need a feat for that!@

Sickle... no problem. Kopesh... wait.. I am supposed to hook the opponents legs and trip him? Well how will I ever do that with this strange odd shaped weapon?!

For God's sake, DO NOT add any hooks, spikes or blades to any of my "normal" pole weapons. That crap confuses the hell out of me.

welcome to why I treat all exotics as martials

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

Are there any new martial weapons outside of core?

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    I'm away from my books... and my houserule could be clouding my memory.

BUT

I believe there are several in the arms and equipment guide and a few in Races of Stone and Races of the Wild.

I also know that the idea of "exotic armor" is bubkis...

pure. bubkis.

not only do I make all exotic armors "not" every DM I've ever played with has agreed.

example.
    Battle plate = + 9 AC max dex + 1

compared to....

Full Plate = +8 AC, max dex + 1

basic battle plate costs 2,500 gp
    basic full plate costs 1500 gp

you can't really tell me that paying 1,000 gp AND a feat is worth an extra point of AC from armor.

well okay you can, but I won't buy it.

similar idea would be the Extreme Shields from RoS

it's a bridge between the heavy and tower shields (+3 ac)

it's 10 gp more than the heavy.... is it really necessary to gouge me a feat for a nice board for my sword and board fighter? (especially if I don't want a towershield?)

but I digress.

/ramble.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Undead:
    don't breath eat and sleep, but it does not mention aging anywhere?
    vampire dying of old age?
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Good job, Wookiee-Ranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie-ranger View Post
    Undead:
    don't breath eat and sleep, but it does not mention aging anywhere?
    vampire dying of old age?
    The types of undead which are not templates are separate creatures. Therefore, they have no maximum age, and will continue aging indefinitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #527
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    There's some. Dragon 331 has a couple of new Martial polearms, FRCS has a cutlass, CWar has a sabre, Planar Handbook has four of them and Sandstorm has the atlatl spear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

On the surprise round one, it works both ways. Picture it:

The eight guards are all sitting around a table, playing poker. The rogue, who has great initiative and Whirlwind Attack, is climbing through the rafters, unseen. He drops onto the table, but the guards are good at their job, and were paying attention, and none of them are surprised. Everyone rolls initiative, the rogue wins, and kills them all with Sneak Attack damage before they can respond.

Now let's look at the same situation, but one of the guards was keeping his eye on the deck instead of on his surroundings: He's surprised. This is even better for the rogue, right? Nope. The rogue drops down, the one guard is surprised, and everyone else gets a partial action in the surprise round. The rogue wins initiative and kills one of the other guards, but then gets hit six times by the others.

On funny check DCs: I have a strength penalty, and I've never made any effort at getting better at jumping. According to the D&D rules, I should occasionally try to jump, and completely fail to do it at all. On the other hand, though, I should also occasionally manage to jump 18 feet from a standstill.

More generally: Let's say that we have three 1st-level characters: An average human, the scrawniest, weakest halfling that was ever born, and a hulking half-orc, the strongest of his tribe. Given a generic feat of strength that the human can accomplish about half the time, the 1 Str halfling will still accomplish a quarter of the time, and the half-orc will only manage 3/4 of the time.

And for a just plain absurd DC: If you have Tracking and want to figure out just what it is you're following, you'd better have a lot invested in Survival, because the DC to determine what kind of creature made the tracks is 60. I guess I must be an epic ranger, then.

My favorite example of a dysfunctional mechanic, though, that nobody else has mentioned, is the Polymorph Any Object spell. The duration depends on the "kingdom" (animal, vegetable, or mineral) and class of the target, and what you're turning it into, but those terms are never defined in the game, and in fact can't really be sensibly defined. Is an owlbear the same class as an owl, or the same class as a bear? Both? Or maybe it's not the same as either, but the same as a griffin (class "birdmammal"). Even the kingdoms are screwy: A nymph is presumably kingdom "animal", but what about a dryad, is she "animal" or "vegetable"? An earth elemental, I suppose, is mineral, but is a xorn animal or mineral? And what about the other elementals? Or outsiders: Does a lantern archon still count as "animal", or do outsiders need another kingdom? What about incorporeal undead?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #529

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    On funny check DCs: I have a strength penalty, and I've never made any effort at getting better at jumping. According to the D&D rules, I should occasionally try to jump, and completely fail to do it at all. On the other hand, though, I should also occasionally manage to jump 18 feet from a standstill.
    No, not quite. From a standstill, the DC is doubled. Even with average strength, maximum standing longjump with no ranks would be 10 feet.

My favorite example of a dysfunctional mechanic, though, that nobody else has mentioned, is the Polymorph Any Object spell. The duration depends on the "kingdom" (animal, vegetable, or mineral) and class of the target, and what you're turning it into, but those terms are never defined in the game, and in fact can't really be sensibly defined. Is an owlbear the same class as an owl, or the same class as a bear? Both? Or maybe it's not the same as either, but the same as a griffin (class "birdmammal"). Even the kingdoms are screwy: A nymph is presumably kingdom "animal", but what about a dryad, is she "animal" or "vegetable"? An earth elemental, I suppose, is mineral, but is a xorn animal or mineral? And what about the other elementals? Or outsiders: Does a lantern archon still count as "animal", or do outsiders need another kingdom? What about incorporeal undead?
    I believe for things like Bugbear and other non-normal things, you would say "Magical Beast" or "Aberration", etc, as defined in their entries in the Monster manual.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

20. - Top - End - #530

Imp

Is an owlbear the same class as an owl, or the same class as a bear? Both? Or maybe it's not the same as either, but the same as a griffin (class "birdmammal"). Even the kingdoms are screwy: A nymph is presumably kingdom "animal", but what about a dryad, is she "animal" or "vegetable"? An earth elemental, I suppose, is mineral, but is a xorn animal or mineral? And what about the other elementals? Or outsiders: Does a lantern archon still count as "animal", or do outsiders need another kingdom? What about incorporeal undead?

OK, ... I laughed.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

ask this guy. from what I understand, he's information vegetable, animal, and mineral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSGWoXDFM64

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

No, not quite. From a standstill, the DC is doubled. Even with average strength, maximum standing longjump with no ranks would be 10 feet.
    OK, then, I should occasionally make 18 feet on a running jump. Which is still absurd. When I try to jump as far as I possibly can, I generally end up somewhere in the range of 5 to 8 feet.

I believe for things like Bugbear and other non-normal things, you would say "Magical Beast" or "Aberration", etc, as defined in their entries in the Monster manual.
    Which means that a wizard polymorphing his cat familiar into a cougar wouldn't get the "same class" bonus (despite them being the same order and family in our world), because a familiar is a magical beast, not an animal.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

New amusing find for the thread: falling from the orbit hurts more if you land on water than if you land on solid adamantine.

Stormwrack pg. 90 tells us that falling from a height above 240 ft. deals 2d3 nonlethal damage + 20d6 normal falling damage. That's only if you try to dive in, and fail. If you're just free fallin' for fun and profit, you'll take less damage.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

24. - Top - End - #534

Imp

This one isn't exactly on topic but it is still kind of like wtf, lol.

Fiendish Codex II refers to Asmodeus as the Master of Baator. I can't help but think someone in the dev team was snickering to themselves for coming up with that one. Master Baator *snicker*

25. - Top - End - #535
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    This one isn't exactly on topic but it is still kind of like wtf, lol.

Fiendish Codex II refers to Asmodeus as the Master of Baator. I can't help but think someone in the dev team was snickering to themselves for coming up with that one. Master Baator *snicker*
    I don't get the joke...

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    I don't get the joke...
    Say it out loud a couple times. Not that I find it incredibly amusing, but eh.

If you still don't get it, ask a master debater.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

27. - Top - End - #537
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Say it out loud a couple times. Not that I find it incredibly amusing, but eh.

If you still don't get it, ask a master debater.
    ...ok I admit it i kinda chuckled when I got it, but it's not that funny.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Master Baator = masterbater. Which, you know, isn't actually a word. Also, I picture Baator being pronounced Bay-tor, not bay-ter. Because, you know, it's spelled that way.

EDIT: ninja'd.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Dwarf in the Playground

I always thought it was pronounced bay-ah-tor

30. - Top - End - #540

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Daftendirekt View Post
    Master Baator = masterbater. Which, you know, isn't actually a word. Also, I picture Baator being pronounced Bay-tor, not bay-ter. Because, you know, it's spelled that way.

EDIT: ninja'd.
    It is spelled "masterbator" and is pronounced exactly the same way as Master Baator. As far as it's legitimacy as a word, well that is debatable. As for the joke, well yeh it is a childish potty joke. But the part I find funny, is that it isn't my joke. Some dev guy out there snuck it in.