1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: TW: Spire City II IC

House Alaudae
    Loyalty 8

To ArcaneStomper [Internal PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Um... I'm antsy about asking for anything more from you after the ridiculous amount of work you put into the economics simulation (which is very much appreciated, since it makes things *so* much easier, but still...)
    But I've just realised that I still don't know how much an airship would cost to build, aside from the resource-costs, even in quite vague amounts. I was wondering if maybe it's as other stat points (so 1 metal + 1 textiles + 1 wealth per build point), but that's not entirely clear.

To Atelier Lyrica [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    ""Well, perhaps you could, but as you say, mutual interest. And if the tests work out, I assure you we will be placing a much larger series of orders in the future.

With your permission, then, we would like to begin the experiments immediately, and hopefully have some airships for our expedition ready in, oh, a month [EOT]."

To House Forestier
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps, but you are asking for a ship to be completed immediately, which adds to the cost. Perhaps [five wealth] would be an acceptable compromise?

To the Allspire
    Spoiler
    Show
    To our main factory in the dock district, as soon as possible. It's been a pleasure doing business with you.
    Last edited by Valdarno; 2015-01-28 at 01:59 PM.
    " . . . Like the moon, whose orb
    Through optic glass the Tuscan artist views
    At evening from the top of Fesole,
    Or in Valdarno, to descry new lands,
    Rivers or mountains in her spotty globe."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Reddinfel [loyalty 19]

To The Mithral Bank
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings again,
    I hope my previous message did not offend you in any way, but I had actually intended it as an opener to more business related matters. I wish to take out a loan from your establishment of eight wealth. To be paid back by [turn 3] with an interest of 50% does this interest you? I wish to withdraw this loan by [before EoT, so you just use your midturn action to produce wealth and then send me the money]

Regards,
    Hadren Hatchet

To Atelier Lyrica [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hadran smiles a wolfish grin,
    Miss Lyrica I find I enjoy your company more and more with each visit. If you can have the equipment ready for [EoT turn 2] I will leave Khaxxix as nothing more than a smear of ink in the house of knowledge. And secure a hefty payment for your Atelier. Shall we say [12 wealth]?

As to equipment for the Reddinfel, I do so enjoy being your best customer. If you can beat the Dirtlings prices, I'll pay handsomely by [Turn 1 EoT].

To the Dawn Syndicate [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I look to make my move at [EoT turn 1], and I do not intend to leave more than a handful of survivors. Enough to spread the word as it were. How many boots will [4 wealth] Get me? Or perhaps a sweeter deal, [2 permanent industry]?

To the Spinner Hag
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before I agree blindly, how many agents is [4 wealth] actually getting me. And how many would I get for [2 permanent industry]?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Titan Shipping
    (loyalty 8)

Spoiler: to the Dawn Syndicate
    Show

Such a fortress would be useful, and we could build and supply it if you defended it. But we will soon begin an expedition with house Dravor who's purpose is in a large part to clear away the pirates currently in the area. Going ahead with it would make the establishment of a fortress much easier although it would delay its beginning.

Spoiler: to the Alaudae (PM)
    Show

Gegral paused to clean his glasses before he replied. "Our approach to trade is different than the Guild. Whereas they are almost strictly air traders, we compensate for our smaller fleet by having far more extensive ground operations. When we began long distance ventures we chose those the Guild could not or would not do because they required being embedded in the area. This has allowed our relations with the Guild to be cooperative, which in turn has allowed us to draw upon their expertise to good advantage. Openly seeking to push them aside would only leave us open for another to do the same. And many will try. We would prefer to see them weakened and them absorb them. The competition from the Atelier brought us close to getting them before they returned from the City of Iron. Do you propose a plan to let us succeed?"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dawn Syndicate
    Loyalty: 10

To House Dres (10)
    Spoiler
    Show
    How much do you generally charge for services? If I were to hire [1 Agent]?

[OOC: I think I'm going to just copy their pricing for mercenary services. They can read my messages so they know what I'm talking about, but they don't do stuff outside of the Spire so far as I'm aware, so we're not competing right now.]

To House Dravor (10)
    Spoiler
    Show
    [2 Wealth] per [1 Agent].

[OOC: Based on the Market prices for a Thug last game. By the context, I assume that means willing to do nefarious things, so a fair price is probably [1 Wealth] per [1 Agent] (the pricing on a Guard), which I expect them to counter-offer with.]

To Titan Shipping (10)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm aware. I've been talking to the House about it. Depending on pricing, I may be accompanying the two of you.

Internal (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, being a PMC, I feel I'd have some idea as to a fair (in the eyes of NPCs) exchange rate for Wealth to Agents. [1 Wealth] to [1 Agent] is the fair price, right?

5. - Top - End - #65

PaladinGuy

The Reddinfel Midturn [Loyalty 19]

Duncan Wood, who was now known as the drunken bear, or occasionally even just Dunken Bear depending on the crown and level of inebriation, sat with a few of the other lieutenants on the roof of an old tradepost. The tradepost was long gone and the building now a safe house, and its vast stock of paint now used for graffiti and weapon black. Duncan rubbed more of the sticky black goop onto the blade of his dwarven made axe, a relic of the Reddinfels last major battle.

"Looking forward to retuning that to its makers?"
    "Nah man, I'm keepin this thing, saved me more'n once now."
    "I meant stickin' it in a dwarf dummy. You don't have to give up your axe."
    Duncan scowled as his fellow jeered him as Dumb Duncan and the slowbear. But he bore it, let them have their laughs before battle, some of them might not survive it.

The hatch to the roof slammed open, a brutal looking woman with spiky, self inflicted tattoos of tiger stripes across her body emerged and gave them a playful grin.
    "Boys and girls the hunt is on, get to your people and get them geared up, fresh off the line gear today."

The quiet commotion of the gear ups across the Reddinfel territory was practically uninterrupted, a stream of ever so small noise devoured by the quiet undercity. Duncan followed Alicia the Cat through the winding tunnel streets to his gear up, his gang was preparing like the rest, the veterans giving pointers to the new runners, dogs being fed battle water to keep them fierce. He turned to Alicia as she was walking off.
    "Where are we bound today? Are we finally giving the Khaxxix what they deserve?"
    Alicia stopped, her stance tense.
    "We are bound where Hadran takes us. Do not make assumptions, it will only lead to over-confidence and folly."
    Her voice was sharp, a reprimand. But her shoulders relaxed and she turned with a smile.
    "But I hope you like tea."

GM only. (I think?)
    Spoiler: MID TURN stats
    Show

1. Agents are gonna go on a rampage. All 24 of them are going to go for the League of Fine Tea Makers. This is a lighting attack, we go in, kill'em all. Then grab everything and leave a gruesome scene behind. Looking to gain a big boost in industry and knowledge because it seems I will not be getting a loan from the bank.

2. VIP action to aid my agents in their total annihalation gambit. But Hadran's real objective here is to kidnap Sargon, the LoFTM's VIP, alive.

3. Industry (all 3 of it) is going to produce equipment. That is getting slapped on the Agents and VIP (24 for agents, 3 for VIP)

Hopefully this works, I am curious if I do something particularly brutal (like the above) will it boost reputation, or do I need to spend separately for that? I suppose we shall soon see.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

The Spinner Hag
    Loyalty 18

Spoiler: The Reddinfel
    Show

Both prices will net you [Agents 10]. If you need more men than this, we can renegotiate at a later time.

The Grey Hawk

Spoiler: Dustmire Dirtlings (PM)
    Show

"Mister Earthcraft, this is a thing of beauty. A proper killing machine. I was mostly meaning Ballistae and scorpions, but this, this is art! I'll take the [Wealth 5], in increments. I'll be delivering the first payment soon, along with the fee for the equipment we ordered." Hawk offers his hand to the dirtling. "Do you find this offer agreeable?"

Spinner Hag Headquarters, first month of 3055
    Ext: Two mercenaries, on break and sharing a cigarette. One is dressed in leather armor and wears a bow and quiver on his back, the other is in battered plate with a greatsword.

"Know what I heard from one of the flyboys? We might be helping out the trodders next."

"If thats true, then why're all the goods being sold, stead of new equipment being produced?"

"Thats cuz we're getting paid in masterwork stuff made by Earthcraft imself!"

"See, cuz I heard we're going to the Undercity to 'remove undesirables' wif the Hatchet."

The woman in plate shakes her head. "See, but that don't make sense. The Hawk'd never move against people down on their luck. If your story is true, we're probably going after someone like, I dunno, those shadowy types down there."

The archer takes his drag off the smoke and passes it back over. "Well if it means another job, then I'm down for just about anything. Getting bored just sitting here guarding the factories and the trodders that run em."

"Ey, leave off them. They're good people earning a lot more of an honest living than us."

Scene

Spoiler: MID TURN, GM Only
    Show

1. [Industry] Generating 7 Wealth and 1 Equipment. Storing the equipment for now.

2. [Rumors] Sending some ghosts and Dirtlings to watch over the Dustmire. If there are moves made against them, either openly or not, I'd like to know.
    "Is mise tusa... Is tusa mise... Ón bhfarraige d'anam, tháinig mé..."
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ
    A scientist never needs a reason to set something on fire.
    The only thing that exists is the way people relate, interact and affect each other, and how that expands throughout the world. There should never be an end to a tale.

7. - Top - End - #67

The Impure

The Halls of Refinement have been seeing more visitors of late. Senior members seem to have back-to-back meetings booked with small business owners, community leaders, guild representatives- just about anyone of any small importance to the lower city might be seen passing through their doors.

The Word is that the Cathedral could be anything, WILL be anything if only enough people want it to be. Anyone pledging their support seems to have something promised to them in the final design, and everyone involved expects to gain prestige when the project is completed. If the project is completed, the occasional skeptic murmurs.

Anyone who agrees to help also seems to find quite a tax placed on their schedule, however. The Impure insist on teaching at least the most basic, practical points of their philosophy to anyone wanting to join the project.

"The Cathedral will be the crown jewel of the lower city." Yof Shatoof has been quoted saying. "The envy of even the mighty noble clans."

All indications are, the vagueness of the Impure's plan is due to its nature- they desire to crowd-source the designs out to the rest of the city, at least to some extent.

Midturn [GM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(14) will work on runes, because I don't have any better ideas.

Loyalty(16) and Reputation(14) will work to recruit help for planning the cathedral, and pledges of support for the building phase. Everyone who contributes their time will have their ideas incorporated in some form. What the final result will be, even the most enlightened of the Impure cannot clearly say at this stage.

The basic angle I'm working with this faction is, that they seem crazy, unpredictable, possibly even sinister. But they totally aren't.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica
    Loyalty: 6

Spoiler: House Alaudae (PM)
    Show
    "Okie-dokie! So one batch of Glasteel for [1 Wealth], to be delivered by [Mid-Turn]. You'll be keeping me informed of how the tests go, right?"

Lyrica said happily. As she did so, one of her Homonculi had suddenly appeared behind her for what seemed to be no reason whatsoever. However, its purpose for being there soon became clear, as it produced parchment and a quill, and began scribing. It seemed that the Alchemist was not in the habit of taking her own notes, and instead relied on her Homonculi to do it for her. Probably wise, considering her scatterbrained nature.

"Alright! I know you're busy Lord Aurelius, so I won't take up too much more of your time unless you've got anything else to add! But before that, where are my flowers?"

(OOC: The PM is good for the whole Turn. So if you need to tell me something later in the Turn, we can fluff a second convo using the same PM action.)

Spoiler: The Reddinfel (PM)
    Show
    "[EoT Turn 2], is it? Of course! For that matter, I will just sell as much Equipment to the Kaxxix as I can until then. That's the main point of my bringing up a 'customer loyalty' program, you know. So that the Kaxxix will most definitely buy from me. You may want to buy yours from the Dirtlings though, Master Hadran; that will leave more Atelier Equipment free for the Kaxxix to blow their [WEL] on, and leave them with less free resources to defend themselves as and when you make your move."

Lyrica said, winking impishly at Hadran.

"I'm thinking perhaps a one-time offer of [13 Equipment] for my most loyal customers, for this and the next [Turn]. So apart from Kaxxix and your Reddinfel, that would be House Dravor, and our mutual friend Lord Eryn as well."

"Oh, and [12 Wealth] sounds just fine to Lyrica! In fact, how about I sweeten the deal? If you could capture the leader of the Kaxxix alive - unharmed or otherwise, either way is fine for me - and give him to me, I'll throw in [2 Glasteel] for you, free of charge! Or we can arrange something else, if that's what you prefer. How does that sound?"

Spoiler: Mass Mailer to the Reddinfel, the Argent, House Dravor, and Kaxxix Killsquad
    Show
    Good day, all my lovelies! Has Lyrica got a deal for you!

Your loyal and longstanding support and patronage of the Atelier Lyrica, that's the biggest factor behind the success we enjoy today as a supplier of the City's highest-quality goods. And I would like to take this chance to express my gratitude, to offer an awesome one-time deal for our most loyal customers!

From now until the end of [Turn 2], you will be able to purchase Equipment from the Atelier at an exclusive price of [13 Equipment] per [Wealth]! A most excellent deal, is it not?

Hurry, while stocks last! I hope to see you at the Atelier soon!

With the greatest love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Spoiler: Internal (PM)
    Show
    My Combat Homonculi were only made possible because of my investment in the [Soul Alchemy] Trait previously, so I had figured their production would be covered by my current [Soul Mastery]. Could I at least ask that this Trait gives me a bonus when it comes to producing Agents with Industry specifically, if only to offset the effectiveness penalty?

Speaking of which, my [Sigil Alchemy] and [Soul Mastery] combined does still allow me to have Lyrica affect her Homonculi (including the Combat variant) directly, right?

Atelier Lyrica

A new day had dawned, and with it, the synthesis facilities of the Atelier Lyrica began a new work-cycle. As the night shift of Homonculi laborers ceased their work and retired for the day, the morning shift took over at their positions, and proceeded to continue where the previous shift have left off. Soon enough, the noises of mass synthesis commenced anew; the clanking of metal being shaped, the bubbling of potions being brewed, and the rustling of parchment being rolled out, all contributed to a raucous yet harmonious cacophony that resounded through the Atelier. Here is where the mundane and the wondrous both have their beginnings. Where everything from the everyday Equipment used by just about everyone, to the exquisite Glasteel and the stoic Combat Homonculi are birthed.

"I'm late, I'm late, I'm late...!"

A young, golden-haired girl in a green dress suddenly tore through the synthesis lines with a piece of toast clenched in her teeth, brushing past some of the Homonculi at their workstations and jostling a couple of them off-balance. With great haste, she ran pell-mell to the laboratory which is her destination, upsetting the work of several more hapless Homonculi who were diligently going about their business just seconds before.

Looking for all the world like a schoolgirl late for class, if one were to meet her for the first time, one would not think that this was the preeminent Alchemist of Spire City herself. Nor would they think that the whole of the Atelier was her domain, entirely under her sway.

Lyrica arrived at her personal laboratory, quite out of breath. Barely pausing to recover from her impromptu dash, she took her breakfast toast out of her mouth, and placed it on the lip of the cauldron, promptly forgetting about it as she consulted her schedule for the day.

"Let's see... I'm going to have to restock my inventory of Equipment for my customers...*huff*... okay, my children are taking care of that..."

Unnoticed, the piece of toast shifted slightly, began to slip, and then dropped into the cauldron with a *plop!*.

"I'll have to make some Runes too, I ran out last month. Aaah, so busy..."

*rumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumble*

It was only when the cauldron started making a rumbling sound, and began shaking violently, that Lyrica noticed what was going on. She looked at the shaking cauldron, barely aware of what was happening.

"Eh...? EH...?!"

*KABOOM*

Spoiler: Mid-Turn (PM)
    Show
    Industry

1 Industry to produce 1 unit of Glasteel, which is to be promptly delivered to House Alaudae in exchange for [1 Wealth].

16 Industry to be used for producing Atelier Equipment. Equipment produced will be allocated and maxed out for all of Atelier Lyrica's stats, and the remainder will be set aside exclusively for sale to either the Argent, the Reddinfel, House Dravor, or Kaxxix Killsquad. Should any of these be interested in purchasing Equipment, it will be sold to them at a rate of [13 Equipment] for [1 Wealth].

Knowledge

14 Knowledge to be used for producing Runes.

Lyrica

Free PM used for meeting with House Alaudae.

VIP action used for PM meeting with the Reddinfel
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The Mithril Bank

Spoiler: Cecil and the Dustmire Dirtlings
    Show
    No offense taken. There's a lot of stuff on my mind. We could always use more mining supplies & weapons. The bank would like to purchase twenty five units of weapons and armor, and twenty five units of industrial grade tools. I'm sure that you're right about the quality, your reputation in this area is well trusted.

Show
    No offense taken. There's a lot of stuff on my mind. It is in our interest to increase the security of this city by giving you your desired loan. I will see what we can get together, (because Peter doesn't know how wealth mechanics work), for a 20% non-compounding interest rate per turn, maximum of three turns at 60%. Sound fair?

Spoiler: GM MIDTURN
    Show
    Hi there, I haven't done this before but as I understand it I get three actions:

1) The dwarves of the Mithril Bank maintain & build their defenses. It's also in their interest to keep the neighborhood surrounding the Bank secure, so if anybody neighboring the Bank is attacked we'll help the defenders.(Forces)
    2) I'm not sure how wealth generation works, but I do that (hopefully for >8) in an attempt to buy weapons/industry-tools and sick a street-gang (the Reddinfel) on a mob (the Killix). It's in the banks' interest to have criminals attack each other.(Industry?)
    3) I'd like to have The Steward learn what he can about the Killix.(Rumors?)

I'm acting in good faith with the Dirtlings and Reddinfel.
    "A crisis is a terrible thing to waste." Paul Romer, 2004

10. - Top - End - #70

The Impure
    Loyalty 16

To Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    We’ll certainly be happy to send someone by. Are you interested in working on the Cathedral? It would likely take up a good deal of your time, but we hope the rewards will be proportionally great. Even traders from beyond the city would hear of your work, we can assure you of that. Might drum up some business.

If you want to talk about the Cathedral, I’ll send over someone with authority on the subject.

If not, it would probably be best just to send your would-be apprentices over directly. They can broker any lesser supply deals you might be interested in, and you can get to know each other at the same time.

To House Alaudae
    Spoiler
    Show
    The training is certainly safe. Though for best results, we recommend imbibing ributazol, which has been known to cause migraines, dizziness, and temporary loss of motor control. We’d also expect your people to do some training in return. Explain on what philosophy you’ve built such a successful business. The goal, after all, is to understand each other, to understand all in the city, as much as it is to understand anything as ethereal as the universe. Though ultimate cosmic knowledge never hurt anyone. Or is it that ultimate knowledge always hurts? Hmm…

If you set a date for your trip, let us know and we’ll see what we can contribute. An opportunity to get some of our people to the City of Light to learn firsthand what resources are available there would be valuable. If your workers have already learned something of our philosophy, we would be able to work efficiently together.

Could the Cathedral perhaps launch airships from an enormous rubber band? Or link via portal to a sister temple in the City of Light?

To Tha Undaspire Krew
    Spoiler
    Show
    “And therein lies the problem,” the messengers nod solemnly. “We don’t dance to the same tune. Yet. Come to the Halls of Refinement, and you will learn about us. And we will learn about you. The Impure will understand all the dances of the City, although not every tune will uplift our souls. You’ve heard the heartbeat of the City, you know as well as we do that all is not as it should be. We need to learn to work in harmony before we can create a masterpiece together. The Cathedral is our masterpiece. Yours, mine, the City’s, if the city will listen. Everyone from the ivory tower intellectuals to the soot-covered workers will see that change can be brought about from down here just as well as it can be mandated from on high by gods or emperors.”
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: While it’s true that once this trait is complete, you’d lose out on a lot by refusing to work with me, the reverse is just as true. If we don’t come to a mutually beneficial arrangement, I lose out on just as much as you. My main goal for the Cathedral is to increase Reputation for everyone involved in building it. It may or may not do anything else mechanically, depending on how the flavor develops. Incidentally, developing the flavor is in itself my secondary goal. I just want to have fun with this one, and see how many connections I can make while doing it.

To Titan Shipping
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps we could work to make the Cathedral accessible to all. Or add scrying mirrors for your guard top watch over the city from. Or a secret network of tunnels. Or a secret network of scrying tunnels, with lasers.

Tell us more about this guard. How are you setting it up? What does it do, and why? We have some interest in keeping the lower city independent, at least to a degree.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Titan Shipping
    (loyalty 8)

Titan's holdings in the dock were unusually residential. There were offices, warehouses, and workshops, but the heart of its operations takes place outside the tower. As housing areas go the scenery wasn't very good, but it did allow workers to sleep as shortly after they returned as possible in temporary lodging that wasn't used primarily for anonymous scheming or hook ups. On a morning like most employees sat around a common room and read the maps and manifests for their next assignment. Many of them came from and would be going to profoundly hazardous places, but here and now they selected from a rather elaborate breakfast menu and looked forward to seeing their families before setting off again.

Spoiler: to the Impure
    Show

The knights guard the cities power structure, but seldom interest themselves in thefts or violence lower down the tower. With the escalated violence in the undercity and the serious attacks several groups have fallen victim to in recent years the Spire needs a group to prevent major acts of criminality against its inhabitants.

Spoiler: mid turn (arcane)
    Show

knowledge will produce wildspeech runes
    industry will produce wealth
    reputation will work to gain support among the dock factions to finance the guard to begin operations in the area

12. - Top - End - #72

Dawn Syndicate

2736 AF - 2748 AF
    The Mustering of the Lodil

Sparked by an upstart Kartesh chieftan seizing one of the minor scions of the Lodil Company, a small but influential merchant clan. This conflict resulted in the utter annihilation of the Nenack Tribe and loss of 1,034 soldiers of the Spire. Most notably, this event marked the elevation the Lodil family from businessmen to nobles, having rallied an army of mercenaries with their wealth and influence.

It was always a pleasant afternoon when Knight Commander Murin got the opportunity to peruse his tomes of the great wars of old. Most were pure drivel, sensationalist novelizations of battles long forgotten. But some, those written by the officers of the Iron Knights for their descendants to study, were of actual use. However, the Spire's history was ancient, and their wars numerous. Details and tactics were chopped to cover the breadth of conflicts. The lives of thousands of men and women, their triumphs, glories, heartbreak, all reduced to a short footnote in the annals of history.

One day, maybe, the sages would look back on the reign of Emperor Loboniva the First. And, hopefully, the Dawn Syndicate will have made the cut.

Midturn
    Spoiler: GM
    Show
    20 Agents, 20 Rumors, and Chas Murin attack the Shadow's Eye. Rumors are obscuring the attack, both source and the actual raid, and scouting out their network. Specifically, I want to attempt to steal Rumors, turning their informants to my service, and killing those who don't. I'm not really sure how much to expect, but if I get 6 more Rumors, I can spy on everybody in the Spire, which covers Iron Knights, House Forestier, Atheist's League, and Sentient Entities Union, the four I can't spy on now, 2 of which are probably the most useful ones to have access to. And stripping the intelligence broker of their intelligence network opens them up for me stealing Knowledge at EoT, as well as replacing them as the seller of secrets. Though likely House Dres will try to step into that role, and then I have to fight them for it, but I can win that, so eh.

So take as much Rumors as I can, if I get 6, then start aiming for Knowledge. Ideally, I don't want this to be publicly seen as an attack to avoid any interference or vultures, just showing up as funny business involving the Eye, but keeping my name out of it is more important.

Hopefully, I'm not starting a war I can't win, but we'll see.

13. - Top - End - #73

BlueKnightGuy

Cecil Earthencraft and the Dustmire Dirtlings [Loyalty]:

Spoiler: To the Mithril Bank
    Show

OOC:: *Just* in time! I’ll put your order in, bud =)

Spoiler: To the Spinner Hag (PM)
    Show

For the first time in the conversation, Cecil kicks back, and smiles.

“Give ‘em hell, Grey.

“Cheers.”

Midturn: @Everyone
    In his left hand is a mug of coffee.
    In his right, a light and elegant wand.
    At his front, a podium, and a troupe of learned workers.
    And below him, a forty foot drop, and the factory below.

Cecil Earthencraft examined the ledger spread out before him, and smiled. "We have work to do."

Spoiler
    Show
    From the floors below, four stories high and endlessly long, the golems burst from the doors in pairs and in dozens, filing out in perfect synchrony and working without tire or fault.

They hoist and hammer and build at impossible rates, and the dirtlings move feverishly to keep up. Their pace is unyielding and their labors are perfect.

Stockpiles have suddenly flooded the production line, and there shows no sign of its end.

“This is madness!”one of the dirtlings shouts from behind his task.

“NO,” a second beams back at him, fiendishly.
    “This is small time!

“This is only the beginning!!”
    ((OOC: Apologies for skimping this one; the GM midturn ate most of my time ))

Spoiler: MIDTURN (GM only):
    Show

Industry: [16]
    With the factory fully underway and cranking out merchandise at maximum capacity, Dustmire produces 256 units of Equipment (16 Industry x 16 Knowledge). Assuming all transactions are paid in full:
    *50 are sent to the Mithril Bank for 4 Wealth
    *50 are sent to the Dawn Syndicate for 4 Wealth
    *100 are devoted to producing the Allspire’s goods for 8 Wealth
    *21 are sent to the Spinner Hag for 2 Wealth
    *35 are kept on stock for the Dustmire Dirtlings.

I am also receiving 2-3 Wealth from the Spinner Hag for an upcoming commission. If possible, I would like to re-convert one of these back into industry, to produce an additional 16 Equipment for Dustmire.

Knowledge: [16]
    Amidst the bustle of the factory floor, Cecil unassumingly selects his most learned craftsmen for a unique work. He leads them to his personal workspace, and guides them how to weave at the unseen threads of the universe. The group pulls and twists at the strands of Creation, and produces 3 runes.

Loyalty: [10]
    Crowding around that runic, arcane sanctum, Dustmire’s finest craftsmen gather in wonder- to remind themselves of their true work.
    Begin researching Major Trait: Artificer Artisan
    Dustmire produces golems and custom artifacts with experience and expertise. They are masterwork creations that are more efficient than their counterparts, and bear more yield for the resources put into them. [Note: Specifically for artifice efficacy. Does NOT apply to equipment production.]
    VIP: Level 12
    In addition to the 19-20 wealth accumulated in sales, Cecil personally oversees the complete overhaul of the production floor, making specializations for the production of something massive. He uses his own experience (and magics) in the design process, to turn his admirable factory into something remarkable. The Titan will not be made by any standard means-- and so shall his industries be something extraordinary.
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2015-01-29 at 01:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

UNDASPIRE KREW

LOYALTY 6

SpireMX FESTIVAL

Got swole lines nobody ever listens to? Think you have what it takes to bring street style? You gonna be the next musical sensation of Spire City?
    Well then, look no further than the Undaspire Krew sponsored SpireMX (Music-eXchange) program of pick-up contests!

This [EoT], the first musical contest to the people! FROM the people! A protagonist is YOU!
    Everywhere in the Commoners' quarters and in the Undercity, right in your streets, participate in the contests for fame, prizemoney and great honor!
    Prove you are among the best of the Spire's amateur artists!

Just here to watch? No problem! Fun and booze aplenty! Get entertained by amateur talents as well as the Krew's finest bards!
    And might as well get ready for a little bloody surprise!
    This [EoT]! GET READY FOR THE DOPEST FESTIVAL EVER!

Spoiler: GM MIDTURN
    Show
    Basically I'm using my AGENTS, REPUTATION, LOYALTY to organize and promote this massive festival throughout the commons to pick up new talents into my Krew and up my Reputation I guess. By the time the EoT ends I'm expecting to have the Pit Fighters do their own show along mine for sinergy. I'll use some wealth I'll make later with Industry for prizemoney. You do the math of what comes out of this.
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Fleshwarpers Guild to House Forestier
    Spoiler
    Show
    We would be honored to see what we could do with such a specimen. Without examining it we cannot say for certain whether any viable traits can be gained. But we are certainly willing to make the attempt.

Allspire to House Forestier
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have included our latest catalog and look forward to doing further business with you.

To House Alaudae (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to say that each four build points that goes into an airship requires 1 wealth worth of assembly. That brings it into line with the stats.

House Forestier to House Alaudae
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is an acceptable price. When do you expect to be able to finish and deliver the new ship?

House of Dres to the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    It would depend on what services they were hired for. Most standard operations would cost you [2 wealth] per [1 Agent]. Higher risk operations would be more.

House Dravor to the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    We would not be able to make a profit on any trade expedition at those rates. We offer [1 wealth] for [2 Agents] instead. In any event we are still in the planning stages of our next expedition so we do not currently have a contract for you or anyone else. Although we will certainly keep your offer in mind.

To the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, 1 to 1 is more or less the fair price. Actually it's a bit higher than would be paid for a standard guard to just stand around and look tough. It's more like combat pay, and anyone paying that rate would certainly be expecting to fight in the near future.

Kaxxix Killsquad to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    We are willing to purchase [5 Wealth] worth of your equipment.

House of Dravor to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    We would like to make a purchase of [4 Wealth] worth of equipment.

To Atelier Lyrica (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Technically any homonculi can be a combat homonculi. You don't actually need Soul Alchemy to make them, although it could make them better. That's what you originally made it for, but I believe you switched it over to improving VIPs rather than Homonculi at some point . At least that's what is listed in my notes.

[Soul Alchemy] could improve your combat homonculi. However bear in mind that it wouldn't also be able to improve VIPs. I kind of want to limit traits to only doing one thing. An alternative would be to treat your combat homonculi as a collective VIP, rather than make them Agents.

That is what Sigil Alchemy does yes.

To Mithril Bank
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could you please add an public description of what you are doing for you mid turn?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Show
    One of the Homonculi ran up to Lyrica at this point, passing a note to her. She took a quick glance at it, and then smiled. Beaming brightly, she waved the note in the air as she addressed Hadran again.

"Oh, what do you know? The Kaxxix are indeed placing a pretty big order for my Equipment, thanks to this one-time offer! I think we're all set here, don't you think?"

Spoiler: To the Impure
    Show
    I don't know about your Cathedral project, honestly. It sounds like it'll take a lot of my time and resources, and the only thing you've been offering by way of recompense is "hope the rewards will be proportionately great". And, I'm sure I can drum up business from beyond the Spire through more cost-effective means. I'm sorry, but I need something more concrete than that if I'm to even consider it.

I think it's best if you can have someone come by the Atelier to discuss the details with me, so I can actually think about it. Do bring some flowers, if you do!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

(OOC: I can't spare any more PMs. Would a 'normal' conversation be fine?)

Spoiler: To Kaxxix Killsquad
    Show
    Roger! [65 Equipment] for [5 Wealth], to be delivered this [Turn]! Thank you very much for your continued support of Atelier Lyrica!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Spoiler: To House Dravor
    Show
    Roger! [52 Equipment] for [4 Wealth], to be delivered this [Turn]! Thank you very much for your continued support of Atelier Lyrica!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Show
    Can I produce and deliver Equipment during the same [Mid-Turn]? If so, a slight change to my Mid-Turn; priority to be given to fulfilling Kaxxix Killsquad's and House Dravor's orders for Equipment first, THEN allocate the rest to my own stats. If delivery can only be made at [EoT], then never mind.

For [Soul Alchemy], I don't actually recall changing its purpose to improving VIPs. I did use it to research [Alchemical Resurrection] so that I can resurrect VIPs in a Homonculi body (and place a geas upon such revived VIPs), and I folded that into the new [Soul Mastery] Trait because I assumed that would let me keep that capability.

What would I have to research this time round, to be able to produce Agents with Industry directly?

Alternatively, having my Combat Homonculi be treated as a collective VIP could possibly work just fine for my long-term plans. How would that work, though?
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

"While the industrious people of Spire City seek riches abroad, it is up to us to secure the internal stability of our nation. We must do work at home to enable individual enterprise abroad. That's why I need your men to patrol the Third Quarter instead of sitting in the barracks. We need to not only make the streets safer, but also ensure that people know they are safe. Do you understand?"

The man opposite Loboniva nods stiffly and brings his fist to his heart. "It shall be as you say, my Lord."

After the man leaves, Loboniva sighs. Getting people to do what they should do might be a simple administrative task, but it is also a never-ending chore in such an abysmally underdeveloped bureaucratic system. Perhaps some development might be in order.

Midturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Spend all Rumours and Reputation as well as my trait on expanding the Imperial control over the Iron Knights, framing it as expanding the influence of the Iron Knights in the rest of the city as a more broadly powerful police, guard and military force.

Use Industry to produce Wealth which in turn is spent on Loyalty.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The Mithril Bank
    Loyalty 16

"Dwarves ARE good, honest, and hard working! At least, Mithril Bank dwarves are."
    The dwarves of the Mithril bank were putting in extra hours at the taverns local to the Bank.
    "The Steward says that we've got to be extra good, honest, and hard working to help heal the damage those Killix thugs are doing to our reputation. Speaking of, do you know what they're up to now days? They aren't going for the throne again are they? Not that they'd get it if they tried, dishonorable lot that they are, I'm just curious... "

Later that night dwarves spilled into the street.
    "We ARE good and dwarves DO make the Spire a better place. Just you see!"

Show
    The Steward: "That sounds like the Kaxxix. I'll tell you something, they give us a bad name. Most dwarves put in the time and attention to put in a valuable days' work. That clan just lays about, only getting up to try and steal from others. And they probably can't even hold their drink. That shot at the throne was a joke. It sounds like they were unsuccessful at being brigands too? Can't even fight right."

(edited formatting, reddinfel)
    Last edited by Mr Cobbsworth; 2015-02-01 at 05:16 PM.
    "A crisis is a terrible thing to waste." Paul Romer, 2004

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Midturn 1

Part 1

To Reddinfel (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The attack on the whole goes well. There is much looting to be had and all of the league's guards end up dead in pools of their own blood. However Sargon proves to be remarkably spry for an old tea brewer. Not only does he know a few spells, but he isn't half bad with his old saber either. He manages to hold of Hadran, and unfortunately the Common Quarter is not completely undefended. The Coalition and Atheist's League send guards to see what is going on. Between Sargon and the interference from the other commoner factions the Reddinfel is prevented from fully looting the league and withdraw before more guards show up.

To Spinner Hag (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gain 7 wealth and two equipment.

There don't appear to have been any movements against the Dustmire in the past few weeks.

To the Impure (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gain two runes.

The word is spread to gather help for the construction in the Cathedral. No one knows exactly what the Cathedral is, but many of the locals neighboring the Impure are starting to support the movement. If only because a big construction project will draw work to the area. The Impure can count on their support for the Cathedral construction.

To Atelier Lyrica (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gain 5 wealth from the Kaxxix and 4 wealth from the House of Dravor.

Gain 107 equipment after sales.

Gain 2 runes.

Gain 1 glasteel. (House Alaudae did not produce any wealth as they did not submit a midturn. Or at least I don't see one.)

You can produce and sell equipment in the same action yes.

I have decided that you can produce agents directly with industry automatically. This a standard thing, and not very effective compared to other methods. But it does let you invest in your stats directly if you want to. If you want to make it more effective, then you can make a trait which acts as a sort of secondary stat that is limited in which is limited in what it can produce. The less things it can build the more efficient it is.

I'm not going to do anything that directly increases the effectivness of industry, or any other stat, because the pricing gets complicated once you take into account that stats can be changed. Instead if you want a bonus or to do something special you would need to make a trait for it.

If you made your combat homonculi as VIP, then it would be fairly simple. Just a VIP called [Combat Homonculi] or some such. This would also have the benefit of granting them standard VIP abilities, such as the ability to do anything.

To the Mithril Bank (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The agents of the Mithril bank patrol the area. They hone their skills and generally keep the streets clean of any kind of criminals.

You gain 8 wealth.

The Kaxxix clan are somewhat atypical dwarfs in that they have a love for violence, and a burning ambition to become a power in the city. In other ways however they are quite dwarf like. They are hard working sorts who maintain a fairly impressive set of workshops and forges deep in the Under city, which supplies considerable amounts of materials and supplies both for themselves and for sale to the upper city.

The Kaxxix are also stubbornly loyal to their own clan, and quite willing to do their duty for the greater good of the clan. They are feared throughout the city, but also grudginly respected for their tenacity and own twisted honor. The Kaxxix will chop you up as soon as look at you, but they won't stab you in the back, and they always hold up their end of the deal if someone is brave enough to make one with them.

To Titan Shipping (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gain 3 runes and 14 wealth.

Various merchants are approached and negotiated with to try and garner more support for a Dock wide guard force. The going is slow to start. Only a few merchants are willing to chip in, and not much individually. However Titan Shipping is a respected name in the area, and if they are willing to back it, then so are others. A small warchest is assembled and the start of a guard force hired.

To Dawn Syndicate (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The attack on the Shadow's Eye is a huge success. Raiders led by Murin slip into the Undercity undetected by the intelligence networks of the Eye. And with brutal swiftness the attack is launched. Guards are swiftly and silently eliminated and the main offices of the brokerage broken into and plundered. The plunder is not gold or treasure, but case after case of meticulously kept files.

These are the Shadow's Eye's notes on the various events in the city. From the price of grain in the markets to who is who among the nobles. And now it belongs to the Syndicate.

To the Dustmire Dirtlings (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (I do not see any wealth being sent to you. I'm not sure when you expect to recieve it, but your equipment will be stored in your warehouses pending payment.

The Allspire at least were not planning to do anything until the EoT. As not every NPC gets a midturn.)

You gain 3 runes.

The master artisans work on honing their craftsmanship. They practice new techniques and hone old ones to a peak of efficiency. Tools are built that can provide the most precise workings. And each artisan sees to the equipment of their personal workshops to ensure that everything will be built to the highest standards. (What exactly do you want your trait to help boost?)

(You can only use 3 stats in a midturn. VIPs count as one of them.)

To the Undaspire Krew (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The krew begins to drum up a crowd as they spread the word about their latest festival. Many people are interested in this exciting interruption of their everyday routine. People are talking about the krew more these days, and eagerly anticipating the festival.

To Argent (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You gain 12 wealth.

The Iron Knights are happy to have their influence broadened. Loboniva sees the Iron Knights become somewhat more responsive to his requests, and more willing to help the Argent as a whole. However quite a few nobles take note of Loboniva's efforts and regard any move and regard it as just the beginning of an effort to expand the role of the Emperor to being first among the nobles to being an entirely dominant rank. This does not please them.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2015-02-03 at 08:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Spoiler: To House Alaudae
    Show
    Salutations, Lord Aurelius! It's Lyrica here!

I've yet to receive any Wealth from your side, and so I haven't sent the promised shipment of Glasteel to you. It's still here in my warehouse though, waiting to be shipped. I'll arrange to have that done once I've gotten your payment, okay?

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Spoiler: To the Guild
    Show
    Salutations, Guildmaster! It's Lyrica here!

There sure has been a lot of new competitors coming into the market these days, hasn't it? Lyrica's not gonna say who they are outright, but they sure seemed to come from nowhere. And they brought some pretty significant production lines with them to boot, or so it seems. Makes you wonder how, and where, they're cutting costs to produce as much as they say they can, don't you think?

What Lyrica is thinking is, perhaps we need to remind our customers why they buy our products. Because the quality of our goods are guaranteed, and at a most reasonable price too! Sure, you could probably buy cheaper if you're not buying from the Guild or the Atelier, but who knows if they'll break or explode way sooner than they're supposed to. At least in Lyrica's case, I make sure all the exploding happens at the Atelier, so they won't happen in your home, teehee!

But, how will our customers know how to tell which is the good stuff, and which are the poor imitations? As it happens, Lyrica has a real bright idea for that! Would you like to hear more? Do tell if you do!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

(OOC: This is part of what I'm planning to pull with my 16 Reputation at EoT, so I'm hoping to see its effects here. The Impure's attempt to build a mutual Trait has given me an idea...)

Spoiler: To Allspire
    Show
    Salutations! It's Lyrica here!

There sure has been a lot of new competitors coming into the market these days, hasn't it? Lyrica's not gonna say who they are outright, but they sure seemed to come from nowhere. And they brought some pretty significant production lines with them to boot, or so it seems. Makes you wonder how, and where, they're cutting costs to produce as much as they say they can, don't you think?

What Lyrica is thinking is, perhaps we need to remind our customers why they buy our products. Because the quality of our goods are guaranteed, and at a most reasonable price too! Sure, you could probably buy cheaper if you're not buying from Allspire or the Atelier, but who knows if they'll break or explode way sooner than they're supposed to. At least in Lyrica's case, I make sure all the exploding happens at the Atelier, so they won't happen in your home, teehee!

But, how will our customers know how to tell which is the good stuff, and which are the poor imitations? As it happens, Lyrica has a real bright idea for that! Would you like to hear more? Do tell if you do!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

(OOC: As above.)

Show
    Salutations, Lord Lastor! Lyrica here, once again!

Oh, I just dreamed up something most wondrous, and I've been itching to put my hand at making it a reality since! But before I do, I figured I'll get your opinion first. After all, you've always had such a good eye for the sort of stuff that would be popular in the Spire!

What would you think, if I presented you with a cube of frozen smoke? What's more, what if I tell you I could put it in the hottest furnace you've got around here, and it'll come out entirely unscathed?

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Show
    Using Lyrica's knowledge of the means of making Glasteel, how would I research a recipe for [Alumina Aerogel]?

Does Lyrica know how many Agents she can make with 1 Industry, or conversely how many Industry it takes to make 1 Agent? (Thanks for allowing this, by the way. I know I've been being difficult with you about this.)
    Last edited by Ascaloth; 2015-02-04 at 08:27 AM.
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Midturn 1

Part 2

Blood and Fire
    The stink of blood was steeped into the once quiet street of warehouses and quiet houes. It overlaid the once omnipresent smell of tea and exotic smells. This was the compound of the Leage of Fine Tea Makers. It was quiet now. A stark contrast to the screams of a few hours before and the bustling business before that.

Leather clad guards from the coalition roamed the streets looking somewhat sick at the scenes of violence and death. Occasionally a squad of veteran atheist league soldiers would pass by stern faced and armored in steel. No League guards joined the patrols. All the League guards were dead. Some cleanly and some torn apart by Reddinfel dogs.

For it was the Reddinfel who had done this. Grown bold over the years and strong from terrorizing the Under city they had decided to stretch their muscles and venture into the Commoners Quarters. The League of Fine Tea Makers had never expected to be attacked, and they had paid for their complacency in blood.

Now the chairman of the league, Sargon, already old and now aged decades in a matter of hours, led his surviving tea makers in the process of burying the dead and seeing what could be salvaged from the remains.

The Cathedral of Inspiration
    It would be great. It would be grand. It would be a marvel and the finest attraction in the city. Those were the rumors floating around the city. The it in question was the proposed Cathedral of the Impure. Always enigmatic the Impure had not released details of just what the Cathedral would be yet, but they had certainly not stinted in gaining support for it's construction. Even one rumors alone people flocked to the City blocks surrounding the Impure. Many joined their ranks, while others simply arrived out of curiosity or the desire to gain some work from the grand project.

Whatever else might happen the Impure was certainly a name to know now.

The Stone Guards
    It hulked larger than an ogre. It's massive metal bulk filling up the room. It was Golem 88, or just 88, so called because it had been the 88th golem produced by the master artificer Walrac. Walrac was long dead and reduced to a footnote in the history of alchemy. The other golems reduced dust and rust over the centuries. But 88 had survived. It had been a labor in the sewers, a dockworker, a soldier, an artisan its own right, and now it was the leader of the sentient entities union.

Hundreds of creatures of all kind looked to it for guidance and protection. Golems made by apprentice alchemists with their misshapen shells. Hives of proto rats created long ago by ancient flesh masters. War machines taken a life of their own. The ranks of the SEU had no two individuals in common. It was a place of freaks and oddities. But freaks that could think. Oddities that could think for themselves. There were few who would stand for them in a city of elves, and dwarves, and humans. So they banded together for support and common fellowship. And Golem 88 was responsible for them all.

Now the unlikely leader looked at the result of its latest project with pride. Ranks of guards stood before. Their armor was not standard. Humans wore leather, the earth golems were clad in shale plates, and the kobolds were clad in their own chitin. But what they lacked in uniformity they made up in unity of purpose and a shared vision.

These were the guards who believed in the welfare of the city above all else. Hand picked by Golem 88 each one was willing to treat each and every citizen of the city fairly and with an even hand. It had taken years of saving. Of careful donations and the cajoling of merchants to get even this far. They were still not ready to patrol the city, but just getting them all in one place and partly trained was a start. If Golem 88 had had a face it would have smiled in pride. Instead it gave the assembled ranks of guards a solemn salute.

The Closed Doors
    The Shadow's Eye has closed its offices to all prospective customers and informants. No explanation has been given only silence guaranteed to spark a buzz of rumors.

Concert in the Commons
    The Undaspire has spread the word. There will be grand festival in the Commoners Quarters. Music by the best undaspire bards. Bloody shows by the Pit Fighters. Bring your friends. Bring your family. Food, fun, and festivities will be available for all. Banners hang around the City and broadsheets line the walls.

Always up for a good festival the commoners have begun making plans to attend in earnest. Children vibrate in excitement and dockworkers already make bets on which Pit Fighter Champion will win the tournament that is sure to happen. Even the normally tight fisted merchants are looking forward to loosening their tunics for once and having a good time. The nobles are the only ones who aren't interested and regard the festivities as a vulgar display. But everyone knows nobles wouldn't know fun if it bit them.

22. - Top - End - #82

Dawn Syndicate

Internal (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    How much Rumors did I acquire? Relevant for message interception for House Forestier, Iron Knights, Sentient Entities Union, and Atheist's League. Oh. Though do I not gain the use of that until next turn?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

The Spinner Hag
    Loyalty 18

Spoiler: To the Dustmire Dirtlings
    Show

A group of four ogres carrying chests and 8 humans approach the workshop. One of the humans knocks on the door and asks for Mister Earthcraft. When he appears, he is handed a letter.

Mister Earthcraft,

I apologize for the delay with the funds, there was a slight delay with the foundries. The boys here have the full amount, [5 Wealth], just like I said.

Regards,

The Grey Hawk

Spoiler: To the Reddinfel
    Show

Mister Hatchet,

First of all, congratulations on your raid. Its the talk of the town.

Now, is the arrangement I proposed in my last letter suitable?

The Grey Hawk

"Is mise tusa... Is tusa mise... Ón bhfarraige d'anam, tháinig mé..."
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ
    A scientist never needs a reason to set something on fire.
    The only thing that exists is the way people relate, interact and affect each other, and how that expands throughout the world. There should never be an end to a tale.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Spoiler: To the League of Fine Tea Makers
    Show
    To Master Sargon,

I am sorry to hear of what have befallen you and your people. If you are in need of any assistance, the Atelier's doors are always open to you.

With deepest condolences,
    Lyrica Springsong
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

The Guild to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our customers. According to my sales records we've been competing with each other to gain the most customers for the past four years. In fact you started this competition by continuously under cutting Guild prices. The fact that now these dirtlings are doing the same thing to you only proves that the universe has a certain sense of irony. You seemed to come out of nowhere as well after all.

But still the Guild has never turned away from a possible business proposal. What exactly do you have in mind.

Allspire to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    What is your idea. We are unsure how our customers would be able to tell that our products, or those of anyone in the same business, are good without rigorous inspections.

House Dravor to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    You mean Cloudstuff? I'd be interested in it of course. Everyone would be. But the monks don't take too kindly to people trying to produce the stuff themselves. They regard the process as holy and inviolate.

To Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using glasteel wouldn't be of much use for that research. It's closer to a ceramic or a type of artifical gem. There are no gels involved in the process. Which wouldn't stop you from researching an aerogel, it just wouldn't help.

As for how you would research it, you would just do so like a normal trait. I'm not going to make it complicated. And the first aerogel was made in the 30s. So it's not like it's that hard to make.

She estimates between 8-16 industry per agent. Building everything in house is less efficient than purchasing the materials from specialized suppliers.

To Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't get the use of any stats acquired in the midturn, through any means, until the next turn.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2015-02-05 at 09:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

PaladinGuy

The Reddinfel [Loyalty 19]

GM [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, that was mostly successful. Is it player knowledge how VIP kidnapping works? Because this isn't the first time I've tried, and it doesn't seem to work terribly well. Now that Lyrica has given the condition that I kidnap the Kaxxix VIP as part of the deal I just want to know that it is possible.

I have another question but on the off chance that someone reads these I want to PM it directly.

To Lyrica [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think we are set indeed Miss Springsong. Thank you for your generosity, and I think I shall take you up on that deal. Would you be able to fill an order for [3 wealth for 36 equipment] for this [EoT]?

To the Dawn Syndicate [pm]
    Spoiler
    Show
    We go. The Black Council will die. [4 wealth for 4 agents]. Leave none alive. We will be working with the Spinner Hag, though be prepared for the Council to Be prepared, and perhaps have back up from Shadows Eye, they could have read these messages and their sudden silence is suspicious.

To The Spinner Hag
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Agreement remains. [4 Wealth for 10 agents], you have cut us a good deal, I shall not be forgetting. We attack the Black Council, leave none alive.

-Hatchet

To the Mithril Bank
    Spoiler
    Show
    This loan works for me, I shall not forget your generosity. Tell me, would you be willing to assist my people against Kaxxix. Should the pretenders die you would remain the only primarily dwarven organization worth a damn in the city. It could give you considerable influence in the city.

Regards,
    Hadren Hatchet

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

To Reddinfel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly I don't really have any rules for VIP kidnapping. So I'd kind of deal with it on a case by case basis. At the very least you would have to first defeat a VIP in combat and then keep them contained somehow. Either with a really good prison or by hurting them so badly they can't move.

Bear in mind that VIPs are fairly powerful compared to the average person. And most of them know at least some magic. They can after all do anything a stat can do. Which includes acting as agents or creating runes.

Sargon specifically is a higher level VIP than Hadran. So he won that fight since the rest of Reddinfel was after the rest of the League and not Sargon specifically.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2015-02-05 at 11:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Show
    "Oh, most certainly! In fact, you should have mentioned it earlier Master Hadran, I could have gotten it all to you this [Mid-Turn] if only you said so!"

"But, [36 Equipment] for [3 Wealth] at [EoT] it is, then!"

"I should probably tell you; right now, the Kaxxix have [65 Atelier Equipment] on their hands after that recent sale. Would that work for your plans, or do you need them to get their hands on more? When are you going for them, anyway?"

Spoiler: To the Guild
    Show
    Awww... no hard feelings, okay? I had no idea I was about to step on your toes; it's not like folks in the Spire buy Equipment all that much, at least before we started making all those deals to them. Honestly, all Lyrica wanted to do was to get her name out there. Put the symbol of the Atelier on the good stuff I make, so that people will see it when they use them, and remember that the Atelier is the place to go if they want more of it.

Oh, that brings me to the point, actually. As you said, the dirtlings and I myself have set something of a precedent, don't you think? I don't think either of us will be the last to come out of nowhere, and disturb the market in Spire with new and more efficient production lines. Putting myself aside, I'm sure you wouldn't care to have your bottom-line affected by any further such intrusions into your market share, Guildmaster.

So what Lyrica is thinking is this; what if I could make your products immune to such disturbances?

As the Alchemist of Spire, Lyrica has the ability to figure out if any product is any good, you see. Whether they work like they should, whether they won't break too easily, that sort of thing. That's why I always guarantee the quality of Atelier goods with my personal sigil on everything I make. Now, what if I could give the same guarantee to your goods?

With my sort of Reputation, I'm sure I can convince folks that if Lyrica's mark is on anything they're using, then it has to be of the best quality. And if my personal mark is on your products, surely they will think the same of your Guild's products as well! Back me up on this with your support, let me put my mark on everything you make, and your goods will benefit from [The Alchemist's Guarantee]!

When that happens, you don't have to worry about any other upstarts spoiling your market; if they don't have [The Alchemist's Guarantee], it won't matter how much stuff they can make to compete with your goods, your customers will always choose what you have to offer over theirs! And they won't ever get that same advantage, unless we both agree to extend it to them! Oh, maybe Allspire too, since Lyrica's talking to them about the same thing as well. Shouldn't be a problem, right? It's not like Allspire is competing with your Guild in anything, after all.

What do you think about this proposal? Do let me know!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Spoiler: To Allspire
    Show
    Ah, then you'll love this one! Perhaps your customers may not be able to tell without their own inspections... but what if your products were guaranteed by someone, they know they can trust?

As the Alchemist of Spire, Lyrica has the ability to figure out if any product is any good, you see. Whether they work like they should, whether they won't break too easily, that sort of thing. That's why I always guarantee the quality of Atelier goods with my personal sigil on everything I make. Now, what if I could give the same guarantee to your goods?

With my sort of Reputation, I'm sure I can convince folks that if Lyrica's mark is on anything they're using, then it has to be of the best quality. And if my personal mark is on your products, surely they will think the same of Allspire's products as well! Back me up on this with your support, let me put my mark on everything you make, and your goods will benefit from [The Alchemist's Guarantee]!

When that happens, you don't have to worry about any other upstarts spoiling your market; if they don't have [The Alchemist's Guarantee], it won't matter how much stuff they can make to compete with your goods, your customers will always choose what you have to offer over theirs! And they won't ever get that same advantage, unless we both agree to extend it to them! Oh, maybe the Guild too, since Lyrica's talking to them about the same thing as well. Shouldn't be a problem, right? It's not like they're competing with you in anything, after all.

What do you think about this proposal? Do let me know!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Show
    Oh, of course they would say it's holy and inviolate. That's a real good way to keep anyone else from trying to do so, and threatening their monopoly, don't you think? Why, Lyrica would do it herself, if she could! It's too bad no one would take Lyrica seriously as a monk though, teehee!

Still, if Lyrica were somehow able to figure out how to synthesize Cloudstuff, would Lord Lastor protect poor little Lyrica from those big bad monks if they come? I sure hope so!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

Dawn Syndicate

To Reddinfel (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Understood.

To the Dustmire Dirtlings (10)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My payment will be at [EoT]. [4 Wealth] for [50 Equipment]. You've got Lyrica worried, by the way. I would advise tread lightly, but that's not how you prosper in this city.

30. - Top - End - #90

BlueKnightGuy

The Dustmire Dirtlings: [Loyalty 10]

Spoiler: To the Mithril Bank:
    Show

Valued Customer,

We are pleased again that you have selected Dustmire for all your equipment needs! Thanks to your patronage, we hope to expand our services towards other avenues, and better our selections to you, the customer.

Or so we would. Our ledgers show that we have yet to receive the payments for your recent order.
    Please have your [4 wealth] in by this [EoT].

And of course, do let us know if you should like to add to that order! Our artificers are always eager to challenge themselves.
    Genuinely,
    -Cecil

Spoiler: To the Dawn Syndicate:
    Show

And so too your order will be ready for pickup! Thanks to your patronage, we hope to expand our services in the near future, and better our offers for you. Do let us know if that “custom order” has come to mind yet- our artificers are always eager to challenge themselves.

I would also thank you for your words of caution. While we are not worried about the party of which you speak, they do have allies which I would ask your counsel on. Either way, you have done right by us, friend; and your warning will not go unforgotten. Perhaps we can arrange in some… investment, that would see us both prosper in this place!

We do look forward to hearing from you again!
    See Red,
    -Cecil

Spoiler: To the Spinner Hag
    Show

As is quickly becoming custom, your couriers are welcome company here. They are brought inside and made comfortable while the good grand-artificer considers the letter and drafts his own.

Hawk, my good man! Glad to see your boys safe and well!

Though we had intentions for the [Wealth] by [Mid-turn], it pales in the anxiety we had about seeing this day in one piece. That is to say, the anxieties I had, anyway; I felt it best not to upset my kin un-needingly, and did my best to keep the factory loud and the worker’s heads neck-deep in work. And what a work indeed! Find with your men your [21 Equipment], fresh off the belts. I trust that my eye for size and preference has not grown dull, haha!

All that remains of your tab is the additional [2 Wealth] for the completion of your other commission. I look especially forward to seeing that completed as well.

You have done well by us, Ser Hawk, and your actions will not go unforgotten. I am proud to see you as a trustworthy ally… and if you would make formal our allegiance, we would see you prosper as we do. I have eyes on something big, Grey. And we are only going skyward from here.
    -Cecil

Spoiler: To the Atelier Lyrica
    Show

Your homunculi respond to a knock at the door this afternoon. Standing outside is an elderly dirtling- a tiny thing which looks as though it would crumble to dust, if not held together by some benevolent spirit seen in the glimmer of its eye. It is dressed in simple brown overcoat, and arrives with no welcoming party, no processions or displays of status or power that the Atelier may be accustomed to. Outside is only itself and the ambulateer it rode in on, which has transformed itself into a tiny golem no taller than he- a pair of diminutive guests staring up behind miniature glasses and warm smiles. Your trained eye for alchemy notices the jacket’s scarlet hems would transmute its wearer to dust if endangered, but other than informing you he is a magician, there are no discernable magics upon this man. Who might this mystery guest be, one might wonder?

(But then, Lyrica is a clever girl.)

“Good day, Miss Springsong! It is a beautiful day out, and it is rarity that I have to enjoy it. I have given my kin a well-deserved day off, which leaves me with some time this afternoon. May I entice you from your duties, and escort you to lunch?”

Spoiler: To the Reddinfel
    Show

Good day, Ser Hatchet!

I must ask if your other supplier ever did manage to top our prices? If so, that is regrettable, but we do offer other commissions, should you need an artisan artificer to assist in your… colorful public displays. Investment in a growing business can build many a powerful thing.

I should also thank you for making my box of Eweling Black a limited edition.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (It was a gift- never really cared for that tea anyway)

Even still, we do wonder if there was anything the League of Tea Makers had done to rouse your ire? It is… awfully unnerving to see a fellow merchant come and go like that.

Genuinely,
    -Cecil

Spoiler: To the Allspire
    Show

Good day, good day!

The sun is shining, the wheels are turning, and we stand here alive to sit in it all. After an incredibly industrious night, the Dustmire Dirtlings are proud to have your orders ready for pickup; I trust that you will find none other able to match us in quality or production speed, and we look forward to your continued commissions.

We also wonder if the Allspire should need any customized artifices; a good business ensures that both parties prosper.

Genuinely,
    -Cecil

Spoiler: To the Silence
    Show

((Cecil hands this message to one of his least expendable golems to deliver. No way is he going to the Silence in person.))

(Mop-Bot hands this message to the largest, burliest Ogre he can pay to deliver the message for him. No way is he going to the Silence in person.))

Good day, good day!

I am a humble business owner, with a great deal of promise and potential. We are proud to think that servicing half the city’s [Equipment] needs would settle on its own merit… but we have seen in recent events what happens to merchants who are complacent with their business alone.

I may require the help and services of an individual of your caliber. In the near future, I anticipate I will be able to provide all means of compensation; all you need is ask.

May we call upon your services?
    -E

Spoiler: To the Sentient Entities Union
    Show

Brothers,

Mark my words and carve them into your alcoves. Teach them to your children and remember them in your private moments. Know them as you travel all your paths, and imbue them into your hearts and beings:

After my work is done, no one will ever view golems the same again.

I must say- and I cannot stress this enough- that it is a project which demands utmost secrecy. I must know I can trust you in asking you for your aid. I invite you personally to my shops, Angarad; we have much to discuss.

Spoiler: Internal (GM)
    Show

No Wealth at all sent my way? My, that is embarrassing! I'll delay its intention until the EoT, then.

As for the trait, I'm hoping to simply make artifices that are better than the norm; something I make for [3 Industry], for example, might take someone else 5 or so to replicate. The mechanics themselves I'll leave to you, so long as the gist ends up the same- that Dustmire runs the Artifice and Golem industry in this town.
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2015-02-06 at 10:33 AM.