New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1438
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

Quote Originally Posted by PK-Leon View Post
    Morning Meeting
    Louis arches a brow as he listens to John nonchalantly explain to everyone how he time traveled in order to aid the team in the search for Drake and Yuki.

"Being in two places at once I can believe. But time traveling John? Really?" He asks incredulously. "You're talking about something that's been purely theoretical up to this point like it's a common occurrence. Fortunately for the both of us it's way too early in the morning for me to argue about it right now." Louis closes his eyes as he rests the back of his skull against the wall behind him.
    “We know people have been working on it and some have done it — as we say with Sharpshooter,” John noted with a shrug. “But since I don’t have much that’s concrete to advance our knowledge, I’m all for skipping it.”

Louis eyes open upon hearing Terrance's last line. He looses a sigh and straightens himself out.

"Listen T, I think I can understand where you're coming from..."

More than most. The memory of his first encounter with Red Light flashes through Louis' mind, her words still echoing in his head.

"But don't you think this is kinda drastic?"
    Terrance’s announcement felt like it made his time travel a small thing — a minor change in his life relative to the kind of jump he was considering.

“Louis’ right. Are you sure you want to do that, Terrance?” John asked with real concern. “There’s not a lot of money in vigilantism and even less support — both of which will lead to medical bills. With AEGIS, you have a base of operations, a network of support, and a long-term foundation from which to work from to make the Palisades a better place.

“While I know your family is well respected there and can provide a web of connections to draw intelligence from, it’s going to be rough — even if you can turn to us for occasional help.”

2. - Top - End - #1022

AssassinGuy

Morning Meeting
    "Don't waste your time apologizing to the wrong person, it won't change anything that's happened. We'll talk about it all later."

Louis runs a hand through his hair as he processes the rest of what Keith has to say. "You'll have to talk to Seraph about getting another commlink. I can take a look at your visor today and see what I can do."
    Keith blinked a few times and nodded. "Think I'm with that considering everything that's happened. Appreciated, Louis."

He turned to Seraph and smiled a bit since he had told the angel about his commlink last night, another should be ready by then anyway but he turned back to Louis.

"I.... thank you, Louis. I'll drop it by your lab after the meeting." He thought a moment and while he had promised the physics explanation to Grayson, he wondered if Louis would be able to understand it. The magical involvement made him wonder if the story was truly believed, even with his physical changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    Morning Meeting
    December 3rd

Terrance sits and listens quietly to the whole meeting. While his physical injuries were completely healed following Miss Menagerie's ministrations the night before, he wasn't sure his heart and mind were quite back to normal. He had almost gotten his friends killed, after all! Drake had been tortured! And fiends like Prismatic were out there every day, preying on his hood... his home. When Seraph asked if anyone had anything else to add, he couldn't help but stand up. "I need to say something, Seraph," he sort of mumbled. He looks around at the gathered young heroes, his friends, "First, I need to say 'I screwed up.' I got us into a huge mess yesterday that got us all hurt with Yuki and Drake ending up kidnapped. I have no idea where Keith has been, but I almost died. Worst of all, that b*****d Prismatic tortured Drake. For all of that, I'm sorry." He drops his eyes after looking at Drake, continuing quietly. "But it's not just that. Bad people like Mohs and Luster and Prismatic are out there every day doing similar things to the people of The Palisades. And I need to be out there for them." Taking a deep breath, he looks up again and looks slowly around the group once more, "So I am resigning my spot and dropping out of school to protect The Palisades full time."
    Louis eyes open upon hearing Terrance's last line. He looses a sigh and straightens himself out.

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    “Louis’ right. Are you sure you want to do that, Terrance?” John asked with real concern. “There’s not a lot of money in vigilantism and even less support — both of which will lead to medical bills. With AEGIS, you have a base of operations, a network of support, and a long-term foundation from which to work from to make the Palisades a better place.

“While I know your family is well respected there and can provide a web of connections to draw intelligence from, it’s going to be rough — even if you can turn to us for occasional help.”
    Keith turned and tilted his head at Terrence's admission. While he understood, it definitely seemed to shorten how much of a feat everyone had been through. Though, he didn't mind the downplay of his being gone. At the mention that everyone had almost died, Keith felt the need to look around.

They all signed up for that risk in this business. They all knew that might be how it would end.

"T, I get what you mean. I know I've had a bit more time to work through it in my head, but are you absolutely sure? It wasn't just you that made a mistake either."

He thought back to his first time out in the field under Don E.'s command, and how badly he had screwed that up for the cell that was sent out after his.

"Gotta keep in mind, no one would have seen Prismatic coming either. And I wanna get that ****er too. John is right too though, resources can dry up fast, especially when you're on your own. Even some cells of AEGIS have nearly run dry in wars like that."

With real concern, he looks at his friend. One he just now thought he might be able to connect with.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Morning Meeting

More than most. The memory of his first encounter with Red Light flashes through Louis' mind, her words still echoing in his head.

Terrance turns to look Louis in the eye, considering the High Octane Hero's words. "Louis, I've been thinking about this for days. Yesterday just kind of cinched it in my mind. My heart isn't here, working for AEGIS. And it isn't in school playing football. It's in The 'Sades, protecting my friends and family." He again surveys the gathered provisional heroes and their mentors, "And I know we are trying to include that with everything else we are doing, but it's just too much on top of dealing with city-wide threats and being a student and all the things that John and Raph and Keith have going." He smiles sadly at his former teammates, "I hate to leave you all. But this is why I became a hero. Protecting The Palisades is my job."

Terrance’s announcement felt like it made his time travel a small thing — a minor change in his life relative to the kind of jump he was considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Keith turned and tilted his head at Terrence's admission. While he understood, it definitely seemed to shorten how much of a feat everyone had been through. Though, he didn't mind the downplay of his being gone. At the mention that everyone had almost died, Keith felt the need to look around.

They all signed up for that risk in this business. They all knew that might be how it would end.

"T, I get what you mean. I know I've had a bit more time to work through it in my head, but are you absolutely sure? It wasn't just you that made a mistake either."

He thought back to his first time out in the field under Don E.'s command, and how badly he had screwed that up for the cell that was sent out after his.

"Gotta keep in mind, no one would have seen Prismatic coming either. And I wanna get that ****er too. John is right too though, resources can dry up fast, especially when you're on your own. Even some cells of AEGIS have nearly run dry in wars like that."

With real concern, he looks at his friend. One he just now thought he might be able to connect with.
    "Guys, I appreciate your concern. I really do. And I know there will be some challenges. But I have to do this," Terrance says, the gravity of his pronouncement heavy in his voice. "These people dont have anyone else. Not who cares about them the way I do. I'll make it work, somehow."
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2023-09-13 at 03:24 PM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 3rd
    Morning Meeting
    “Things happen,” Drake sighs. “Guys, I’m fine. I don’t blame anyone for it. I’m just glad you guys found me before he broke me.”

Spoiler: Notice TN 4
    Show
    Drake’s arm tightens slightly around Yuki’s shoulders.

As Terrence makes his stance known, Seraph’s expression grows sad. However, he sees the determination in Terrence’s eyes. “I can see your mind’s made up. I hate to see you go, but I’m not going to stop you if that’s what you feel you need to do.”

Ryker’s knee shakes, but he holds his tongue as Sidney bumps his elbow with hers.

5. - Top - End - #1025

NinjaGuy

December 3rd
    Morning Meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    “Things happen,” Drake sighs. “Guys, I’m fine. I don’t blame anyone for it. I’m just glad you guys found me before he broke me.”
    Shouldn't have happened in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph
    As Terrence makes his stance known, Seraph’s expression grows sad. However, he sees the determination in Terrence’s eyes. “I can see your mind’s made up. I hate to see you go, but I’m not going to stop you if that’s what you feel you need to do.”
    "If this is what you really want then go for it." Louis says with a slight shrug. "I don't think anything we could say now would change how you feel about it anyway."

"Good luck out there T. And if you ever need help don't hesitate to hit us up." He nods to the Palisades' newfound protector.

"So does this mean AEGIS is gonna send another provisional our way?" The team lead asks tiredly as he looks back to his director.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2023-09-13 at 06:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1026

AssassinGuy

"Guys, I appreciate your concern. I really do. And I know there will be some challenges. But I have to do this," Terrance says, the gravity of his pronouncement heavy in his voice. "These people don't have anyone else. Not who cares about them the way I do. I'll make it work, somehow."
    Keith shook his head and smiled a bit. "King's gotta take care of his own, and seems like you have it figured out." He approached the new Protector of the Palisades and clapped a hand on his shoulder. "Just like he said, stay safe out there, and keep up whatever it was you did last night I heard about."

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    December 3rd
    Morning Meeting

Spoiler: Notice TN 4
    Show
    Drake’s arm tightens slightly around Yuki’s shoulders.

Ryker’s knee shakes, but he holds his tongue as Sidney bumps his elbow with hers.
    December 3rd
    Morning Meeting
    "So does this mean AEGIS is gonna send another provisional our way?" The team lead asks tiredly as he looks back to his director.
    Spoiler: Are ya sure about that Drake?
    Show

Notice: 1d8o8+2 7 1d6o6+2 3

Even at Drake's insistence, Keith saw his arm tighten a bit from the corner of his eye. It shouldn't have happened in the first place. If he had just been smarter, then maybe it wouldn't have. And he would need to be better. He had to become better.

He wanted to say something, but then it would just seem like another apology, and he let it drop with a nod. He went back to his other spot in the room and stood away from Louis. He just looked over at Louis with his question and internally rolled his eyes.

Here we go again.... He thought. Not that Louis wasn't wrong. They had a high turn over and he was almost a part of it.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 3rd
    Morning Meeting
    Seraph gives Louis a knowing look. “It does, but probably not for a while. I can only request for new provisionals every so often.”

The angel sighs. “I guess that brings me to the last two items on my list. One, Natasha, my fiancée, is going to staying in my suite for the foreseeable future. After Louis found out yesterday that a raeksha tried to get into her apartment, I cleared it with AEGIS and talked her into staying here. So you may see her around the base.”

“Two,” Seraph says, looking at Louis, before glancing around at the other assembled heroes. “I have a new teammate to introduce. His name is Jake de Zavala. He’s a transfer from Texas. Mimi, send him up.”

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

As the newcomer saunters in, you can't help but notice the color of his skin. Instead of one of the usual hues of the human palette, it is a dark, silvery black. His hair is different, too. Iron grey with a bluish tint. After you get beyond the initial oddities, his piercing blue eyes can't help but draw your attention. His crooked grin reveals straight, white teeth above a dimpled, square chin. He wears a white, Western-style shirt with pearl snaps open a couple of snaps down his chest. Wide shoulders vee down to slip hips and muscular legs encased in plain, blue Wranglers that are bunched up over a pair of black, square-toed Cowboy boots made of some kind of textured animal hide (Bull hide if you know boots). A gold buckled belt sits around his slim waist. He comes to a stop next to Seraph and leans back against the door frame.

"Howdy, y'all. I'm Jake."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

9. - Top - End - #1029

OldWizardGuy

As the newcomer saunters in, you can't help but notice the color of his skin. Instead of one of the usual hues of the human palette, it is a dark, silvery black. His hair is different, too. Iron grey with a bluish tint. After you get beyond the initial oddities, his piercing blue eyes can't help but draw your attention. His crooked grin reveals straight, white teeth above a dimpled, square chin. He wears a white, Western-style shirt with pearl snaps open a couple of snaps down his chest. Wide shoulders vee down to slip hips and muscular legs encased in plain, blue Wranglers that are bunched up over a pair of black, square-toed Cowboy boots made of some kind of textured animal hide (Bull hide if you know boots). A gold buckled belt sits around his slim waist. He comes to a stop next to Seraph and leans back against the door frame.

And I thought I was the one who had cornered the market on distinct accents.

John stood and extended his hand to the newcomer. “A pleasure, Jake. I’m John Kelley — code name Dee, late of London and Providence, Rhode Island. I’m assigned to the South-West Joint Operation Task Force on a consulting basis to assist with occult matters.”

As he spoke, John surveyed the Texan for any hints of who and what he was. Even with one as distinct as he, John could not call up any recollection of a power set or notable encounters in the past.

John attempts to remember anything associated with Jake: 1d4o4 3 1d6o6 1

Yet another thing to add to the list of things for him to learn.

Of course, given the line of work they were in, he had no reason to believe that Jake looked like this normally. Ayern’s eye color changed with the amount and type of energy he consumed and that was one of the more subtle changes the team could make to their appearance.

Even he could conjure up a new face at need.

“Is it a safe guess that AEGIS thinks you can be of assistance with our demon problem?”

10. - Top - End - #1030

NinjaGuy

Morning Meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Louis sizes up the Texan posted up in the entrance of the living room, offering him a nod in return.

"Like Jake... from State Ranch? You're a lot bigger than you look in the commercials."
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2023-09-14 at 10:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1031

AssassinGuy

Morning Meeting
    "Like Jake... from State Ranch? You're a lot bigger than you look in the commercials."
    Keith raised an eyebrow and noted the accent. And here he thought he had the Southern accent down. Guess his accent was getting a bit in the way though. He does smirk a bit at Louis's comment, not laughing but it was worthy of one.

Keith offered his hand as well after John.

"Nice to meetcha, Keith Karver, from Albany, Georgia. Go by... well I went by Crowe at least and gotta make sure that still fits. And...." Keith thought a moment. "I'll let ya get situated before the other bit. A lot to go through already."

That skin color though, would be hard to not remember that. Texas..... He thought to himself. Weird stuff always happened there, about on par with Florida. Was he also of the Void?

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 3rd
    Morning Meeting
    As Jake walks in the room, Aeryn’s eyes widen. He looks excitedly at Seraph, but his expression falls when the angel shakes his head.

Drake stands, offering his hand to the newest West Sider as well. His hand is hot, like he has a bad fever, even though he looks healthy. “I’m Drake Varga, Team Lead of South Side.” He points out each of the other South Siders and gives their names. He also introduces Sidney, who gives the mutant a smile and a wave.

Ryker looks Jake up and down, still smirking from Louis’ joke, taking in the outfit and the accent. “So, what can you do?” he asks, leaning forward with a little interest.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2023-09-15 at 07:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Training room

Raphael frowns, unsure what to say to Anima as she and Stella trade sad backstories.

The vampire feels peculiarly pleased when Stella lets go of his hand, pleased on some subconscious level that she’s observant enough to avoid rubbing salt in the wound.

Spoiler: an aside
    Show
    Later, upon reflection, he’d realize that attention to such details and mannerisms would serve her well whenever she had to deal with other vampires… creatures where an errant phrase or gesture could result in posturing…

Posturing that Raphael tended to take as a personal offense.

Raphael meets Stella’s eyes, confused. He gives a slight shake of his head, his eyes asking, “What?”

He shrugs and turns his attention back toward Anima. “I think you’re missing the obvious,” he says with his characteristic smirk.

“Your world changed in a day. This change was not good. But it took a long time for One Bad Day, right? I think that means it can change again, just as fast, and probably for the better.”

Raphael shrugs. “I’m not usually one for optimism, but I don’t think that’s something you can look past”

Garage

“To know John, is to know Worry,” Raphael intones. “To see him, is to see worrying done at the level of a Master.”

Raphael makes an amused noise. “I’d prefer that to some Crazy, Superstitious, Notion that we’re somehow responsible.”

Morning Meeting

Raphael quietly watches Terrence go back and forth with the team over his decision to cut and run. His hand flexes and clenches into a reflexive fist, reliving the ghost of the impact of tearing through a West Side bulkhead.

Raphael’s attitude visibly sours as Seraph details how the demons went after his woman. He speaks up. “This demon nosing around at her apartment, do we think this is a new one, or one we’ve dealt with before?”

If I’ve tangled with it before, I can probably find it….

Raphael stows his temper and rousing bloodlust as Seraph transitions to announcing another new teammate.

“Texas?” Raphael mouths with confusion before training his eyes on their new …..(bong) Mutant.

The vampire blinks a few times at Jake’s ensemble, before a long suppressed memory bubbles up from the darkened crevices of his mind. A trip that he’d stridently protested to, Germany’s Premier Cowpoke attraction…

It’d been a horror.

Raphael’s eye twitches a few times and then tries to cover his reaction by coughing into his fist. “Oh…gawd,” he moans under his breath.

Raphael watches John jump up to greet the new-new-new-new-newbie and deliver his spiel. He tilts his head, side-eying the mage. "Do you get tired of saying that?" He says, his voice colored with genuine (sounding) curiosity.

Spoiler: Notice roll vs. Drake - your human concerns are below my notice
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1034

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    Morning Meeting
    Raphael’s eye twitches a few times and then tries to cover his reaction by coughing into his fist. “Oh…gawd,” he moans under his breath.

Raphael watches John jump up to greet the new-new-new-new-newbie and deliver his spiel. He tilts his head, side-eying the mage. "Do you get tired of saying that?" He says, his voice colored with genuine (sounding) curiosity.
    John winced slightly at Raphael’s (he hoped) good natured question. He could not remember where he picked up the turn of phrase but he had taken a small delight in its old fashioned feel.

“It’s still new enough to me to be able to list more than Providence that the novelty of the phrasing hasn’t worn off,” John quipped back. “It also saves me having to explain that I’m not from Boston.”

He turned back to the Texan. “The gentleman who has called me out on my affectation is Raphael, code name Nightgaunt and the commercial aficionado is West Side’s Team Lead — Louis, code name Redline.

“May I also present you to Stella, code name Miss Menagerie, and Miss Carter, code name Anima.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2023-09-16 at 06:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

And I thought I was the one who had cornered the market on distinct accents.

John stood and extended his hand to the newcomer. “A pleasure, Jake. I’m John Kelley — code name Dee, late of London and Providence, Rhode Island. I’m assigned to the South-West Joint Operation Task Force on a consulting basis to assist with occult matters.”

As he spoke, John surveyed the Texan for any hints of who and what he was. Even with one as distinct as he, John could not call up any recollection of a power set or notable encounters in the past.

John attempts to remember anything associated with Jake: 1d4o4 3 1d6o6 1

Yet another thing to add to the list of things for him to learn.

Of course, given the line of work they were in, he had no reason to believe that Jake looked like this normally. Ayern’s eye color changed with the amount and type of energy he consumed and that was one of the more subtle changes the team could make to their appearance.

Even he could conjure up a new face at need.

“Is it a safe guess that AEGIS thinks you can be of assistance with our demon problem?”
    Jake reaches out and gives John's hand a firm shake. "Nice to meetcha, John Kelly. Occult matters, huh? Well, glad to know we've got somebody on that. Because I don't know a dang thing about it," he says with an amused look on his face. "And they said something about demons. Is that a local gang yo folks are having trouble with?"

Morning Meeting

Louis sizes up the Texan posted up in the entrance of the living room, offering him a nod in return.

Smiling at the joke, Jake responds, "Naw. Jake from Bandera, Texas. Jake from State Ranch is my little cousin."

Keith raised an eyebrow and noted the accent. And here he thought he had the Southern accent down. Guess his accent was getting a bit in the way though. He does smirk a bit at Louis's comment, not laughing but it was worthy of one.

Keith offered his hand as well after John.

"Nice to meetcha, Keith Karver, from Albany, Georgia. Go by... well I went by Crowe at least and gotta make sure that still fits. And...." Keith thought a moment. "I'll let ya get situated before the other bit. A lot to go through already."

That skin color though, would be hard to not remember that. Texas..... He thought to himself. Weird stuff always happened there, about on par with Florida. Was he also of the Void?
    Turning to Keith, Jake accepts the hand and returns a strong grip, "Keith. Thanks for the welcome. I can't right say I understood much else you said there, but I got that part, anyways."

December 3rd
    Morning Meeting
    As Jake walks in the room, Aeryn’s eyes widen. He looks excitedly at Seraph, but his expression falls when the angel shakes his head.

Drake stands, offering his hand to the newest West Sider as well. His hand is hot, like he has a bad fever, even though he looks healthy. “I’m Drake Varga, Team Lead of South Side.” He points out each of the other South Siders and gives their names. He also introduces Sidney, who gives the mutant a smile and a wave.
    "Varga, huh?", he says, shaking Drake's hand. "Hombre, you're burning up. I hope what you got ain't catching." He nods to the rest and returns Sidney's smile and wave with a big grin of his own.

Ryker looks Jake up and down, still smirking from Louis’ joke, taking in the outfit and the accent. “So, what can you do?"
    Turning his grin on Ryker, Jake says, "We wasn't altogether sure at first. But it appears I can control gravity a bit. What about you?"

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    Morning Meeting

Raphael quietly watches Terrence go back and forth with the team over his decision to cut and run. His hand flexes and clenches into a reflexive fist, reliving the ghost of the impact of tearing through a West Side bulkhead.

Raphael’s attitude visibly sours as Seraph details how the demons went after his woman. He speaks up. “This demon nosing around at her apartment, do we think this is a new one, or one we’ve dealt with before?”

If I’ve tangled with it before, I can probably find it….

Raphael stows his temper and rousing bloodlust as Seraph transitions to announcing another new teammate.

“Texas?” Raphael mouths with confusion before training his eyes on their new …..(bong) Mutant.

The vampire blinks a few times at Jake’s ensemble, before a long suppressed memory bubbles up from the darkened crevices of his mind. A trip that he’d stridently protested to, Germany’s Premier Cowpoke attraction…

It’d been a horror.

Spoiler: Notice roll vs. Drake - your human concerns are below my notice
    Show
    John winced slightly at Raphael’s (he hoped) good natured question. He could not remember where he picked up the turn of phrase but he had taken a small delight in its old fashioned feel.

“It’s still new enough to me to be able to list more than Providence that the novelty of the phrasing hasn’t worn off,” John quipped back. “It also saves me having to explain that I’m not from Boston.”

He turned back to the Texan. “The gentleman who has called me out on my affectation is Raphael, code name Nightgaunt and the commercial aficionado is West Side’s Team Lead — Louis, code name Redline.

“May I also present you to Stella, code name Miss Menagerie, and Miss Carter, code name Anima.”
    Jake looks over the indicated team members, laughing at Raphael's sarcasm. He nods to the guys and bows at the waist to Stella. He looks at Anima, first with mild confusion quickly followed by an interested look. "Raphael, Louis. Ladies", he says. "I humbly offer my thanks for the warm welcome. I hope I can pull my weight around here."

Show

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 3rd
    Morning Meeting
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael
    The angel’s expression darkens. “A new one, based on Louis’ description of it. I’m sure you’ve seen it, but I want to let everyone know we do have one of its eyes in fridge,” he says with a shake of his head. “I warded the container, so don’t worry about it seeing anything, unless you take it out.”

"Varga, huh?", he says, shaking Drake's hand. "Hombre, you're burning up. I hope what you got ain't catching." He nods to the rest and returns Sidney's smile and wave with a big grin of his own.
    “Normal for me,” Drake replies. “My powers make me run hot naturally. Nothing to catch.” He takes his seat next to Yuki again as introductions continue.

The former Rook’s smile widens a little. “You can come down to the gym and find out,” Ryker suggests.

Anima shifts in her spot on the floor. Even sitting, she’s almost as tall as Jake. “Nice to meet you,” she says in a quiet, whispery voice.

Seraph looks to Terrence. “Come by my office after the meeting. I’ll have you sign some paperwork and get you ready to leave.”

The angel glances around the room. “If everyone’s good, I’ll go ahead and end the meeting. Louis, let me know how things turn out. Let Mimi know if you’re taking anyone with you.”

17. - Top - End - #1037

OldWizardGuy

December 3rd
    Morning Meeting
    The angel glances around the room. “If everyone’s good, I’ll go ahead and end the meeting. Louis, let me know how things turn out. Let Mimi know if you’re taking anyone with you.”
    As the meeting breaks up, John caught up with Drake during his usual walk to pick up his an Yuki’s bags.

Spoiler: Where was this roll when he was sensing Emi’s State of Mind?
    Show
    Notice: Drake’s Body Language: 1d10o10+4 22 1d6o6+4 8

“If you need to talk,” he said quietly, “let me know. And don’t let your male instincts try to keep you from talking,” he added with a rueful smile. “I learned the hard way that is a recipe for disaster.

“I’m still in therapy over my own PTSD and every time I think I am done I get reminded I am not. It has helped a lot but I have a ways to go still. I got to work in an in-person session just after my temporal quarantine in London.

“But if you need an ear, just let me know.”

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 3rd
    John- Post Meeting
    John sees that Drake almost begins to bristle as the mage suggests talking, but his shoulders smooth quickly. The motion is fast, a micro expression, but John manages to catch it.

Drake’s eyes dart down to the cold floor before he looks back up at John. “Maybe later,” he mutters.

“I’ll think about it,” he amends after a moment. “But thank you. I’ll… maybe I’ll talk to you later.”

He grabs his and Yuki’s bags and heads back out into the living room.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2023-09-17 at 10:57 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1039

AssassinGuy

Turning to Keith, Jake accepts the hand and returns a strong grip, "Keith. Thanks for the welcome. I can't right say I understood much else you said there, but I got that part, anyways."

Turning his grin on Ryker, Jake says, "We wasn't altogether sure at first. But it appears I can control gravity a bit. What about you?"
    Keith grins a bit and shrugs. "No worries, will have plenty of time to fill ya in. Suffice it to say a sorta spiritual quest happened and I'm still working through it all." He thought back to his latest adventure. "Got to speak to someone, in a way at least, I haven't talked to in over ten years now."

At the mention of his powers though, Keith tilted his head and started to mirror Aeryn's excited look. "Wait, so you can manipulate gravity? Hold up, Texan born and raised?"

December 3rd
    Morning Meeting
    The angel’s expression darkens. “A new one, based on Louis’ description of it. I’m sure you’ve seen it, but I want to let everyone know we do have one of its eyes in fridge,” he says with a shake of his head. “I warded the container, so don’t worry about it seeing anything, unless you take it out.”

“Normal for me,” Drake replies. “My powers make me run hot naturally. Nothing to catch.” He takes his seat next to Yuki again as introductions continue.

The former Rook’s smile widens a little. “You can come down to the gym and find out,” Ryker suggests.

Anima shifts in her spot on the floor. Even sitting, she’s almost as tall as Jake. “Nice to meet you,” she says in a quiet, whispery voice.

Seraph looks to Terrence. “Come by my office after the meeting. I’ll have you sign some paperwork and get you ready to leave.”

As Seraph mentions the eyeball, Keith's eyebrows raise. Nothing was mentioned about that this morning when he was getting caught up and eating. Which, he wondered if the hunger would end soon. That seemed like an important detail for Seraph to not mention, though it wasn't like Keith would have been able to do anything with the info.

"Wait, one of its eyes is in the fridge?" He turned to Louis. It wasn't like the guy needed a new eyeball or anything. And he certainly didn't seem anything like an Uchiha from Naruto. He turned back to Seraph. "Seems there's a lot more to get caught up on." He chuckled a bit.

Freaking time differences.

He grins at Ryker's suggestion. "So, we placin' bets on the match? Would love to see that." He thinks for a moment. He still needed to drop the visor off at the lab first, and that would be quick enough to leave there while everyone else was at school.

In the time he had been gone at least, it looked like Anima had gotten a bit used to the team. Still, he wondered if that spot he landed in would be of benefit to figuring out her curse.

Following the meeting, he drew his visor from his shadow and made his way to drop it offer at the lab, running into John on his way there and just passing Drake.

"Hey, John. Figure you still need some rest, but let me know when a good time to talk would be. The way it all got phrased, it sounded like you guys were making a final stand somewhere else." Keith's eyes grew distance for a moment as he was met with only mental silence. It was still unusual to him.

"Either way, I'm glad to know that's not the full case. Get some rest, and hopefully, this thing will be ready by our next mission time." He grinned a bit. "Oh, and just know that Nextephua is a jerk."

Following John's response, Keith will let him know that for the next while, he'll be in the gym and catching up with Aeryn some. He continued on his way to drop off the visor at the lab, and if Louis is around, thank him again for taking a look at it. Must be nice some days to be in two places at once.

"Hey Louis, thanks again for this man. I owe ya."

20. - Top - End - #1040

OldWizardGuy

Following the meeting, he drew his visor from his shadow and made his way to drop it offer at the lab, running into John on his way there and just passing Drake.

"Hey, John. Figure you still need some rest, but let me know when a good time to talk would be. The way it all got phrased, it sounded like you guys were making a final stand somewhere else." Keith's eyes grew distance for a moment as he was met with only mental silence. It was still unusual to him.

"Either way, I'm glad to know that's not the full case. Get some rest, and hopefully, this thing will be ready by our next mission time." He grinned a bit. "Oh, and just know that Nextephua is a jerk."
    “Not so much a last stand as an extraction mission to free Yuki and Drake,” John replied quietly as he watched Drake turn the corner. Whatever might have changed with him, he thought as he dropped his voice, Keith’s timing continued as it had been. “They were captured by Prismatic and his siblings. Luster was more gentle with Yuki than her older brother was with Drake.”

He turned to Kieth as his brow furrowed. “I’m surprised to hear that about Nextephua. She isn’t usually like that, from what I have read — although my sources may be unreliable. As much as I respect the work of the Mother Church, some of her missionaries and visionaries’ points of view can color things. It could also be that you encountered one of her minions or a spirit of the Wastes who had not made his way to the afterlife and had grown bitter.”

He shook his head.

“But, yes — I could use a little extra sleep. All of us have been pushing ourselves hard since the demonic incursion started. Unlike you and Raphael, that’ll wear on me if I’m not careful.

“We can catch up a little later,” he said, resting a hand on Keith’s shoulder. “I’m glad you made it back safe and sound.”

21. - Top - End - #1041

AssassinGuy

“Not so much a last stand as an extraction mission to free Yuki and Drake,” John replied quietly as he watched Drake turn the corner. Whatever might have changed with him, he thought as he dropped his voice, Keith’s timing continued as it had been. “They were captured by Prismatic and his siblings. Luster was more gentle with Yuki than her older brother was with Drake.”

He turned to Kieth as his brow furrowed. “I’m surprised to hear that about Nextephua. She isn’t usually like that, from what I have read — although my sources may be unreliable. As much as I respect the work of the Mother Church, some of her missionaries and visionaries’ points of view can color things. It could also be that you encountered one of her minions or a spirit of the Wastes who had not made his way to the afterlife and had grown bitter.”

He shook his head.

“But, yes — I could use a little extra sleep. All of us have been pushing ourselves hard since the demonic incursion started. Unlike you and Raphael, that’ll wear on me if I’m not careful.

“We can catch up a little later,” he said, resting a hand on Keith’s shoulder. “I’m glad you made it back safe and sound.”
    Keith nodded as John explained a bit. A sigh left him as he thought about everything Seraph told him in the wee morning hours over what would have been more food than anyone should have eaten in a sitting. "Seraph told me the full details," he replied quietly. "And let me watch some of the footage too. I'll talk with him about it later, but I wanna get the main one. There's some payback needed."

A tinge of darkness crept into the sclera of his eyes. He could feel what reminded him of White's influence there, but it was different this time. More.... him.

Then he tilted his head and raised an eyebrow. "Wait, she? Then..... that was a male's voice.... who in the seven hells is passing themselves off as her?" Something was definitely amiss from this revelation. He knew he heard a male's voice respond to him in the Wastes during the ash storm. "I suppose I owe her an apology now. An offering will go out later." He shook his head.

At John's reminder of needing rest, and not being able to survive on as little sleep as some of the others, he nodded. "Especially with the recent trick. Rest well, brother. And, I'm glad to be back, would still be wandering if not for your quick thinking too."

"I'll be in the gym a bit, and catching up with Aeryn some. Think he may have some advice on balancing a few things." He smirked a bit. "And I promise not to eat everything in the kitchen."

22. - Top - End - #1042

OldWizardGuy

West Side Base, Midmorning
    John was taking a sip of coffee as he studied the open portal to the Chamber of Doors when he heard the nearby doorway to Seraph’s suite open. His brief nap had helped to clear his head but he remained unbalanced by everything that had happened over the past twenty four to fourty-eight hours.

He glanced at the open portal, to the doorway where a visibly amused Natasha Balinski was emerging, back to the door, and quickly back to his Director's wife.

Her clothing, he noted, still hid her pregnancy. The abstracted portion of his brain wondered if Seraph knew yet.

The rest of him remained a bundle of jangled nerves.

"I can explain this, Ms. Balinski" he began, using his coffee cup to point to the open portal. "You see, the lighting in this hallway is the closest West Side gets to the lighting near the Director's suite at East Side.”

She made him a little nervous -- in the same way Seraph and Harbinger made him a little nervous.

"Mr. Shaw will be joining my family for Sunday dinner in two days."

It wasn't just her skill as a reporter and her role as the editor of the Bellview Street Journal. Those kinds of things kept him on his toes around her sister and was enough to keep him aware here.

"Of course, I want to make a good impression and this will be his first time visiting the Spire and the first time he will be meeting my family."

And it wasn't exactly her current condition -- although he recognized that the years of the nuns' teaching did make him instinctively reach for the word vessel whenever he thought of her as the mother of Seraph's child.

"He was a little annoyed when I surprised Emi with it and she disappeared from Iron Station and appeared in the North Atlantic, so I have some territory to make up there"

He hoped he never slipped about that. The Marian parallel was a kind of elevation for him but he was fairly certain it would not sound like that once the thought was outside of his head.

"So I've been trying to decide which torches should be lit when he opens the door. So far, the garage and the lounge don't seem to change things much so I thought, um, I would... You know. Check."

He stopped and looked down into his coffee cup as if he expected to find some guidance on what to say next there.

"It sounds more than a little crazy when you say it out loud, doesn’t it? It felt like a very reasonable examination of the variables when it was still in my head.

'It's still a lot for some lucky kid from Providence some days," he confessed quietly. "Most of the team has had years to adjust. "
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2023-09-17 at 02:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1043

NinjaGuy

Garage

“To know John, is to know Worry,” Raphael intones. “To see him, is to see worrying done at the level of a Master.”
    Louis shakes his head. "I don't think my body could withstand that level of anxiety."

Raphael makes an amused noise. “I’d prefer that to some Crazy, Superstitious, Notion that we’re somehow responsible.”
    "That's the problem Raph, we're not responsible for what happened. I am." The slightest hint of guilt tinges his voice. "It doesn't matter if Drake or Yuki were with them, they weren't ready."

December 3rd
    Morning Meeting

Smiling at the joke, Jake responds, "Naw. Jake from Bandera, Texas. Jake from State Ranch is my little cousin."
    "You know, that explains a lot." Louis says, nodding in feigned enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    The team lead offers Jake mock salute. "Guilty as charged."

"Raphael, Louis. Ladies", he says. "I humbly offer my thanks for the warm welcome. I hope I can pull my weight around here."
    "Don't mention it. Make yourself at home, Mimi will take care of ya while you're here. You should probably take the day to unpack and make yourself familiar with the base. We've got a busy weekend ahead of us."

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    "Wait, one of its eyes is in the fridge?" He turned to Louis.
    "It's a souvenir." Louis shrugs nonchalantly. "Figured that John or the doctor over at East Side would want to take a look at it."

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph
    "You got it. I think I'll make my way South Side after lunch."

Louis pulls out his phone and finishes typing up a pair of texts, sending them out as he heads for the lab.

Spoiler: Text to Red Light
    Show
    Hey Big Red, I know you're probably lights out right now but I wanted to see if you were free to talk sometime this weekend?

You can text me back whenever you wake up, no rush.

Spoiler: Text to Izzy
    Show
    It's Friday and being the accomplished detective that I am I couldn't help but notice that both you and I are free (later) today... Any plans?

Laboratory

The heavy metal door to the laboratory slides open allowing Louis entry as he approaches the giant white board. "Mimi, what can you tell me about Jack Hamilton? Known Crown drug dealer, currently listed as living in the South Side of the city. Zion Heights Road I think?"

The recess lights lining the ceiling come to life in succession revealing the form of a slumbering mechanical hound on the far side of the room. It's left ear swivels towards Louis but the beast doesn't move and inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    He continued on his way to drop off the visor at the lab, and if Louis is around, thank him again for taking a look at it. Must be nice some days to be in two places at once.

"Hey Louis, thanks again for this man. I owe ya."
    Louis turns his head to look at the laboratory door as it slides back to reveal Keith. "Don't thank me yet. There's no guarantee that I'll even be able to fix it. Do you know what's wrong with it?"

24. - Top - End - #1044

AssassinGuy

Louis turns his head to look at the laboratory door as it slides back to reveal Keith. "Don't thank me yet. There's no guarantee that I'll even be able to fix it. Do you know what's wrong with it?"
    Keith nods as Louis tells him not to thank him just yet. At this point, he figured it would be a lost cause and then just a fancy pair of goggles. Not too bad if it led to that but would mean a replacement would be in order.

He also wondered if this would be where he got the stern talking to by the leader.

He handed it over as he started explaining. "It ends up being tied to my commlinks a bit, offering a heads-up display for some visual info in flight or if an update comes in mid-op. I tried to sync it with the new commlink that Seraph set out earlier, but nothing." He shook his head.

"Worst case, it'll just be a regular fancy set of goggles now."

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 3rd
    Louis’ Lab
    “Unfortunately Louis,” Mimi says, “I don’t have much on Hamilton. He’s been arrested numerous times for drug offenses, but other than that, I have nothing. I’ll send his criminal record to your phone.”

Louis’ phone buzzes twice in his hand. One message is from Mimi, the other from Izzy.

Spoiler: Message From Izzy
    Show
    I’m free today after work. Pick me up from Ashford’s at 3?

John
    “Please John, call me Tasha,” she says as she closes the door behind her. Her smile is light and easy, even though her face is a little pale.

“May I?” she asks before she carefully takes a step into the Spire. “This looks good, but maybe try one torch per doorway? That way the light isn’t quite so overwhelming. Makes it look more mysterious.”

Natasha steps back out of the Spire to stand next to John. “Alistair is an intimidating man. James is still nervous around him, and he’s not dating his daughter,” she says with a small laugh and glance at John. “I do think worrying about what torches are lit is… looking at the details a little too finely. He’s going to walk through this doorway to the other, right? You’re not taking him in a tour?”

Quote Originally Posted by John
    'It's still a lot for some lucky kid from Providence some days," he confessed quietly. "Most of the team has had years to adjust. "
    Her expression softens. “I can understand that. This life is a lot to adjust to. I think you’re doing great though. James does too.”

“While I haven’t met your family, if they’re anything like you, I think Alistair will be impressed,” she says sincerely. “We talked about you and Emilia a little at the Halloween party. Alistair wanted an honest option about you from James.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2023-09-18 at 08:48 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1046

OldWizardGuy

December 3rd
    John
    “Please John, call me Tasha,” she says as she closes the door behind her. Her smile is light and easy, even though her face is a little pale.

“May I?” she asks before she carefully takes a step into the Spire. “This looks good, but maybe try one torch per doorway? That way the light isn’t quite so overwhelming. Makes it look more mysterious.”

Natasha steps back out of the Spire to stand next to John. “Alistair is an intimidating man. James is still nervous around him, and he’s not dating his daughter,” she says with a small laugh and glance at John. “I do think worrying about what torches are lit is… looking at the details a little too finely. He’s going to walk through this doorway to the other, right? You’re not taking him in a tour?”
    “You’re welcome to look around, if you would like,” John suggested. “It’s a little early for the Northern Lights to be easily visible but you are still welcome here.”

He frowned, considering he was standing in the hallway.

“Or perhaps there,” he said, nodding through the doorway. “It is a jump of several thousand miles.”

He let out a brief sigh.

“I don’t know if he will ask for a tour or not,” John confessed. “I’ve blocked out the time with my family for one, in case he asks. It would not at all surprise me if inspecting the wizard’s tower of his belovèd daughter’s boyfriend hasn’t made it somewhere near the top of his to do list — especially when said boyfriend’s mother maneuvered him, via his daughter, into coming to dinner.

“Even without that, I would imagine the lure of getting to see the secret location that only his daughter and an installation team from AEGIS: City of London has seen would be compelling.

“Either way, it feels like something I should prepare for.” He smiled ruefully. “Perhaps not quite so obsessively but I do have an image to maintain.”

“Parts of me are still catching up to all of this. One morning, I woke up as a study abroad student and by the time the sun set I was a magician and one of the world’s foremost experts on the occult thanks to an outside of time training session with Doctor Dee and Edward Kelley in a spirit shadow of Elizabethan Mortlake that both did and did not last for years.

“A huge amount of knowledge and skill,” he observed quietly, “with none of the experience necessary for full confidence in its application.”

“And now I am competing with a dragon for the hand of the most beautiful woman in the world under the watchful eye of her father, one of the world’s premier heroes, while trying to determine how to save that world from demons and other occult threats.”

“Seraph’s been a great help in keeping me grounded,” he added. “There are days it feels like he and Harbinger are the only ones in this city who are aware of how often I am flying by the seat of my pants in all this. Montcrieff — my handler in London — knows of course and has me check in weekly with her.”

He shook his head. “The stakes have got high quickly in all aspects of my life.”

Her expression softens. “I can understand that. This life is a lot to adjust to. I think you’re doing great though. James does too.”

“While I haven’t met your family, if they’re anything like you, I think Alistair will be impressed,” she says sincerely. “We talked about you and Emilia a little at the Halloween party. Alistair wanted an honest option about you from James.”
    “I hope I passed muster,” he said, somewhat nervous and unsure if he meant with Seraph or with Mr. Shaw. “I can’t imagine my parents, Kate and Jefferey, and Stephen not doing so — although I may be somewhat biased. Nevertheless, I am grateful for the two of your votes of confidence.

“It helps.”

27. - Top - End - #1047

NinjaGuy

December 3rd
    Louis’ Lab

“Unfortunately Louis,” Mimi says, “I don’t have much on Hamilton. He’s been arrested numerous times for drug offenses, but other than that, I have nothing. I’ll send his criminal record to your phone.”

Louis’ phone buzzes twice in his hand. One message is from Mimi, the other from Izzy.
    "That's okay, thanks Mimi." Louis says, leaning against the workbench. He smiles after reading the second message.

Spoiler: Text to Izzy
    Show
    I’m free today after work. Pick me up from Ashford’s at 3?
    I can do that if you can give me a fifteen minute grace period? I have to take a trip South Side for work today.

You'll need a jacket and a pair of gloves but I can pick some up on the way to Ashford's if you need'em?

Keith nods as Louis tells him not to thank him just yet. At this point, he figured it would be a lost cause and then just a fancy pair of goggles. Not too bad if it led to that but would mean a replacement would be in order.

He handed it over as he started explaining. "It ends up being tied to my commlinks a bit, offering a heads-up display for some visual info in flight or if an update comes in mid-op. I tried to sync it with the new commlink that Seraph sent out earlier, but nothing." He shook his head.

"Worst case, it'll just be a regular fancy set of goggles now."
    The mechanic looks over the visor, turning it over in his hands as he searches for any visible damage.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Engineering)
    Show

"Better than nothin' at all. Trust me." Louis assures his teammate.

"I'll have to open it up in order to take a look at some of the components inside. Shouldn't take long to figure out if I can salvage it or not. I'll let you know the verdict by tomorrow morning either way. That work for you?" he asks.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 2nd
    Training Room
    Raphael meets Stella’s eyes, confused. He gives a slight shake of his head, his eyes asking, “What?”

He shrugs and turns his attention back toward Anima. “I think you’re missing the obvious,” he says with his characteristic smirk.

“Your world changed in a day. This change was not good. But it took a long time for One Bad Day, right? I think that means it can change again, just as fast, and probably for the better.”

Raphael shrugs. “I’m not usually one for optimism, but I don’t think that’s something you can look past”
    Stella shoots Raphael a slight confused look, but gives him a small shrug.

Anima’s eyes smolder, like a dying fire. “I lost the guy I loved. I… I held him while he died,” she says, looking down at her hands. “There can’t be a change for the better when I’m living in a world without him.”

December 3rd
    John
    “Maybe another time,” Natasha says when John offers to show her the Spire.

Spoiler: Notice TN 6
    Show
    Her right hand drifts down toward her stomach before she notices and quickly changes the motion to loop her thumb through her belt loop.

“I haven’t been feeling too well,” she confesses. “I don’t want to stray too far from the suite. Stomach bug, probably.” Her voice is smooth and convincing to someone who doesn’t know the truth.

She gives John a sympathetic smile. “It’s hard when everything comes rushing at you at once. I know it’s not the same as suddenly becoming a magician, but when James told me what he really was, it kind of… made me question my entire world view. I can’t imagine living through years and gaining all that knowledge in a day, then being transferred here. This town’s always been crazy.”

“Ah, Mr. Radke, right? Are you two still competing?” Natasha asks curiously. “It’s been over a month since you and Emilia got together, hasn’t it?”

“James gave you glowing compliments,” she assures him. “He really does like you, John. And Alistair seemed convinced. He knows James is a terrible liar.”

Louis’ Lab
    Louis’ phone buzzes again not too long after he sends his text.

Spoiler: Text from Izzy
    Show
    I thought delivery boys were always on time?

Jk jk

I haven’t left for work yet, so I’ll grab that stuff. See you around 3

A second message comes quickly after the first.

Spoiler: 2nd Text from Izzy
    Show
    I’m looking forward to seeing you Louis
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2023-09-18 at 03:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1049

AssassinGuy

December 3rd
    Louis’ Lab
    The mechanic looks over the visor, turning it over in his hands as he searches for any visible damage.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Engineering)
    Show

"Better than nothin' at all. Trust me." Louis assures his teammate.

"I'll have to open it up in order to take a look at some of the components inside. Shouldn't take long to figure out if I can salvage it or not. I'll let you know the verdict by tomorrow morning either way. That work for you?" he asks.
    Keith nods, he couldn't help but agree either since Louis would know about the wind, and bugs, in the eyes. "No argument there. Keeps the wind outta my eyes and some minor protection."

The comment of "Trust me" felt like a knife in the gut. It wasn't that he didn't trust Louis, but he knew at this point no one trusted him. And why should they? He didn't instill confidence in any of his battles thus far. Had nearly gotten Drake and Yuki killed.

The son of a major villain.

He knew he was more than just that, but with everything, who wouldn't question these things? He had made it out of each fight virtually unscathed while everyone else paid the price. It was only a matter of time before he ended up hurting Maeve too. And that scared him more than anything now.

"Y-yeah, that works for me. Honestly just appreciate you taking the time to look even." Keith looked at the ground a moment still lost in thought. Should he even still be here?

"I know ya gotta get ready for classes and all but, I did want to say something. Not in front of everyone else though." Keith took a steadying breath. As much as had changed, he still was him. "I meant what I said about the restrictions and all. Hard not to question any of my own judgments after everything."

He closed his eyes for a moment. "And the other thing... I did want to tell you from day one. And I guess, at a point when the empire wasn't confirmed to be involved, I just wanted to forget it was a part of my life and background for a while. That was also before I knew just who you were too, Louis. My own fear from being targeted by others because of it, I didn't say anything because I was scared of how I might react if you had decided to attack."

Keith shook his head. "It doesn't excuse anything, but that's why. Now, I just want to make sure they can't harm another and to try and mend things here as best I can." He looked straight at Louis. "If I can."

30. - Top - End - #1050

OldWizardGuy

December 2nd
    December 3rd
    John
    “Maybe another time,” Natasha says when John offers to show her the Spire.

Spoiler: Notice TN 6
    Show
    Her right hand drifts down toward her stomach before she notices and quickly changes the motion to loop her thumb through her belt loop.

“I haven’t been feeling too well,” she confesses. “I don’t want to stray too far from the suite. Stomach bug, probably.” Her voice is smooth and convincing to someone who doesn’t know the truth.
    Spoiler: John knows what to watch for.
    Show
    Notice: Tasha’s condition: 1d10o10+4 8 1d6o6+4 12

“Of course,” John said, maintaining his best poker face. “Your aura does hint at your condition but I wasn’t certain if you felt up to the trip or not, so I thought I would leave it up to you.”

She gives John a sympathetic smile. “It’s hard when everything comes rushing at you at once. I know it’s not the same as suddenly becoming a magician, but when James told me what he really was, it kind of… made me question my entire world view. I can’t imagine living through years and gaining all that knowledge in a day, then being transferred here. This town’s always been crazy.”
    “Providence has always been a little quieter in that regard,” John replied. “Hope and Anchor are considered to be a little overpowered for the city but their presence makes sure we don’t get much in the way of overflow from New York or Boston. The Longshoreman keep street-level threats quiet and Rock Lobster makes sure the shoreline is safe. It makes it a safer posting for provisionals, from what I understand.

“But, yeah. The change to my world was sudden — although the study period let me adjust to some of it and the Tribunal’s initial directives for me in Paris and in Geneva gave me a little cushion before the deep end of the Windsor Incident.

“Ah, Mr. Radke, right? Are you two still competing?” Natasha asks curiously. “It’s been over a month since you and Emilia got together, hasn’t it?”
    “We’re one day short of seven weeks since our first date, but who’s counting?” John asked ruefully. “I know that, as the guy, I’m supposed to be less precise but it’s a mathematics thing.

“Mostly.”

He sighed, recognizing he was trying to dodge the question.

“Whether he is actively pressing his suit or not, his presence looms large in our relationship. It doesn’t interfere every time we are together but it seems to come up often enough to make a difference — especially when we had to worry about his draconic side wanting to kill me over her.

“I managed to solve that issue but when I healed him he was completely healed — including childhood injuries. He has grown several inches through a combination of healing and improved posture, lost his anxiety and stutter, and filled out in a way that, quite frankly, I am not.

“Add to that my discovery that he is the illegitimate son of one of the nation’s foremost captains of industry and it sometimes feels like I am spending time improving his chances as a side effect of doing the right thing.”

He glanced at Ms Bal…at Tasha.

“Of course, that could all be perceptions colored by the insecure jealousy of a guy who hit the jackpot with his first real girlfriend and still isn’t sure which way is up.”

“James gave you glowing compliments,” she assures him. “He really does like you, John. And Alistair seemed convinced. He knows James is a terrible liar.”
    “He’s very generous to say so,” John said, pleased to hear it and wishing their were a way to let his parents and Sister Anna Marie know an angel thought he was doing well. “I hope I can keep living up to his opinions of me. I have a lot of respect for him and hope that I can mature into a friend of his someday.”