New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default You gonna see my movie, Bub? (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)

So, I just saw it. And, as is becoming tradition, I will give it a brief review.
    Spoiler
    Show

Before we start here, I know very little about the X-Men or the Marvel Mythos, and I havn't seen the other X-men movies. So This review will be based entierly on what I saw on-screen. That said, this was not a bad movie. That said, it's not a great movie, but it is entertaining, and the sheer straightforwardness of it's plot has a certain elegant simplicity.

Now, Here is how I imagine the movie was planned, remember, I know nothing about Wolverine's backstory in-comic, if he has one.
    Guy A: Hey, let's make a movie backstory-ing the X-Men.
    Guy B: Okay, who should we start with?
    A: Wolverine, he's by far the most popular.
    B: But, he dosn't have much backstory. He's just a badass canadian guy with metal claws, a metal skeleton, and super-Regeneration.
    A: It's a fact that nothing is more badass than revenge. Let's get him really angry about somthing, and have him take vengence.
    B: Okay, sounds good.
    So, the first part of the movie goes like this
    1: Opening Credits with Logan and Victor engaging in abunch of fights that clearly place them in a certain war. If Hollywood is to be believed, every single american who stormed Normandy was ridiculously good looking.
    2: PEOPLE WITH NIFTY POWERS, SHINY SHINY!
    3: Logan engages in Lumberjackery, is happy. This part of the movie contains the best line ever
    "I know you want to serve you're country" "I'm Canadian"
    4: REVENGE AGAINST VICTOR, DIE DIE DIE!
    5: Okay Army Guy, victor is the bastard here.
    6: REVENGE AGAINST ARMY GUY TOO, DIE DIE DIE!
    7: Aww, nice old farmer couple.
    8: Blatant kicking and shooting of Dogs.
    9-end of movie: REVENGE! DIE DIE DIE
    5-minutes before end: AMNESIA, thus essentially rendering the entire movie pointless.

Alright, time for the sum-up

Best Part: as may be expected, Fight Scenes. All very impressive, very shiny, and very nifty. Especially with Asian Gun Guy, but Sword guy was just over-the-top, cutting bullets in half in mid-air? Are you Serious.
    Worst Part: Mute, Mind-controlled deadpool? WTF, you don't dangle "The Merc with the Mouth" in front of us, then remove the mouth, and the Mercness. It was a very impressive fight scene, and they had been dropping Cameos left and right, but those had been working with the characters. Mind you, I don't know Deadpools backstory very much, but it seemed like they could have just kept him as "Weapon 11", without dropping the Deadpool name. Especially because they gave him abunch of powers he didn't have in the one book I read that had him in it. So yeah.
    The People's Conclusion: It's not a bad film to see if you like mindless action, which I do. Despite them pulling out every Cliche in the book (Not only does he walk away from an explosion, he does so less than five minutes after riding a motorcycle out of an exploding barn) they manage to make you, while not exactly Sympathize with Logan, at least understand him. You know very much that the Bad guys are Evil and the Good Guys are, well, Angry at least. They don't really go for the "Morally questionable anti-hero" bit, which is good, that's been done to death, and with the way this movie treated other tropes, it would have mean Wolverine wearing all black and going to back alleys where he kills little kids for pickpocketing.

All-in-all, I recommend you see it. I'm a little harsh up above, but that's because I'm snarky and tired. It's well-made and well-acted, so provided you havn't been spoiled by the recent really-good superhero movies (Iron Man and The Dark Knight) you should enjoy it.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-05-03 at 01:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: You gonna see my movie, Bub? (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)

I'm protesting seeing it because of the Deadpool bit.

Not that I would see it elsewise, but dangit, taking an insane and arbitrary stands on issues I don't really care about is what Wade Wilson would have wanted me to do!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The sad thing about the Deadpool issue is that Ryan Reynolds would really be a great choice for Deadpool... without the sewing up the mouth bit.

This is how you do Deadpool.
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2009-05-03 at 01:28 AM.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is how you do Deadpool.
    And Boom goes the Dynamite. Deadpool wins!
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I saw it recently as well. Could be much better. Enjoyable watch, not really worth paying to see though.
    Also:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That entire end sequence just had me ready to scream with anger. That ain't Deadpool. Why does he only have powers that have been shown on screen, despite the fact that Stryker has been kidnapping tons of mutants to steal their powers.
    Obligatory Xavier cameo that doesn't make much sense; he knows the island is there, he knows all these young mutants are in peril, but he doesn't really do anything? Yup. Sure.
    AMNESIABULLETWUT!? Hilarious for its destroying of the 'Walk into the sunset' ending, terrible, absolutely terrible for everything else about it. Why won't his brain regenerate the memory? Does his brain not regenerate? Have you mentioned anything of that kind at any point in the film? No. So stop it.
    Also, how come he's allowed to kill Kestrel (teleporting guy) but they have to tag Cyclops to get his power? Oh yeah. Right. Contractual immortality. Of course.
    As well, why should we care about any of this movie? We know he's coming back, we know Creed is, we know Cyclops is, we know Professor X is, hell, we know Stryker is. We only came to this movie to see all the new characters die so we didn't have to worry about them in later films. Gambit surviving was about the only thing that surprised me, but then Wolverine doesn't remember him any more so he doesn't matter. Great.
    Oh, and couldn't you have called this X-Men Origins: William Stryker? 'Cos he seemed to me he was the main character half the time. If it wasn't for all the fight scenes I would be saying screw Logan, that guy is obviously the protagonist.
    About the only things in the film I did genuinely enjoy was the Emma Frost/Scott interactions as about the only subtle nod towards the comics, Gambit who was an okay adaptation of the character and who at least got to play Poker, though they seriously screwed him up otherwise, and Deadpool at the beginning. Just standing there cracking jokes and then killing everybody. That was how you get all the fans hopes up and emotionally blackmail us, by making us think for all of 30 seconds that you did Deadpool as right as you could and that he would then be a proper character.
    Then they took him away from us and gave us their crappy version.
    Hmph.

Also, why didn't Rogue get bone claws back in X-Men 1?
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eh, wasn't great, but it was okay. I came for fighting, I saw fighting, not too much of what I hold sacred was destroyed in the process... I'm calling that a win.

If I cared more about Deadpool (who I find amusing, but have no real emotional attachment to) I would be burning with righteous fury, but as it is I'm not even going to snark about all the incredibly easy to make fun of aspects of XMOW.

Yes, XMOW. That right there is easy to make fun of. Which is why I'll refrain from further comment.

In fact, the post is ending right here. Right here.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

7. - Top - End - #7

Gee, Clark Kent is going to be angry when he comes back home and finds his parents killed, his motorcycle destroyed and his jacket stolen.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Having just come back from a midnight showing:

Spoiler
    Show

I'd been warned ahead of time (press showing review on a blog I read) that this was not a particularly great movie. It's good, but the other posters have already pointed out why it's not great. So I'll focus on the nitpicky bits. The special effects are.. a little offputting. In particular, Emma's diamondskin effect just looked weird to me, and there is a scene shortly after the adamantium infusion where Wolverine is just staring at his new claws. They are horribly CG-looking- if you've ever seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit, they look rather like toon-metal. It's never quite as bad as that again, although mostly because Wolverine's fighting somebody with them the rest of the time and you don't get many more still close-ups.

Fights in general: I'm also a little disappointed in the use of the Deadpool name, but it did make for a nice fight. I particularly liked the moment where he kinda stops and goes "Hey, I've got eye lasers! Freakin' sweet!" and proceeds to use nothing else just 'cause they're awesome (well, as much as a mind-controlled killing machine can enjoy something.)

The motorcycle chase-helicopter fight thing was just thoroughly ridiculous all around (I mean that in a good way, but seriously.) Wolvy's bike appears to take several direct hits on the rear faring, which completely fails to damage or slow down the bike at all. Apparently it's made of adamantium too? Or maybe it's just throwing random sparks because they look cool and the bullets actually aren't hitting it, who knows. I thought for a moment they would resist exploding the helicopter.. they crashed it with just part of the tail section in flames, where (presumably) the fuel would be. Which, you know, makes at least movie-sense that that would burn. But then.. no, spark, BOOOM. Cliche wins again. Oh, well.. I suppose that sums up a lot about this movie, really.

Gee, Clark Kent is going to be angry when he comes back home and finds his parents killed, his motorcycle destroyed and his jacket stolen.
    Oh yeah, and this. Two old, almost preternaturally 'good' people, living on a farm in Bumfark, Nowhere in a superhero movie? I'd like to take a poll of all the people who immediately thought Wolverine had fallen in with the Kents.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2009-05-03 at 02:15 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

I saw it a few days ago and I have to say I liked it. It wasn't as great as Spiderman 2 or Watchmen, but it did what you would expect of an action movie. There were however some parts I didn't like.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just like someone before me has said too, I think the computer generated claws looked really weird and ugly in certain scenes, especially during the bathroom scene when Wolverine lives with the old people. I also didn't like that scene as it was trying to hard to be the "young superhero discovers his powers and does something embarrassing"-scene we all know from for example the Spiderman movies and I don't think it fits with Wolverine. I liked what they did with Victor, but over-all I thought the plot was somewhat weak. It really was an action movie.

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Oh yeah, and this. Two old, almost preternaturally 'good' people, living on a farm in Bumfark, Nowhere in a superhero movie? I'd like to take a poll of all the people who immediately thought Wolverine had fallen in with the Kents.
    I was too busy wondering why James and Heather Hudson were so old. You know, during that brief moment where I deluded myself into thinking he had actually run into characters from his real backstory.

They really should have just had him mindwiped after getting the adamantium implanted. Then they could've done the whole thing where he's found feral in the woods by the Hudsons and reintroduced to civilization... Would've made for a good movie, I think.

Hey, it could've even introduced hooks for an Alpha Flight movie! You've got Guardian and Vindicator right there, a Sasquatch cameo would've been easy as pie... all you've got to do is work in a couple other folks in a post-credits "hey, we're putting together a team of Canadians" scene or something... I wouldn't really even mind if they made it "WOLVERINE and Alpha Flight" in order to draw more people to the theaters. It'd still be awesome. Well, in my imagination, at least.

Disclaimer: I've never actually read an issue of Alpha Flight in my life. I did, however, somehow end up with action figures of the whole team as a kid, so in my mind they've always been awesome. And Canadian. But I guess that last part's canon.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

11. - Top - End - #11

Just came back from it tonight. Honestly, there's no way I can be objective about this. Wolverine has been my favorite character since I was 4. I feel no shame in saying this comical book character is in many ways the man I wish I could be (when he's written well, anyway).

There are two things that pull down this movie like the singularity of a black hole. And none of them have anything to do with Deadpool, who, honestly, I don't get the massive nerdrage over. He was his usual motormouth self until the Government mangled him, but at that point he was just a puppet so it's not like they're horribly derailing the character.

No, what gets me is

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Wolverine sparing Sabretooth. Just.... just what? "You're not like him," OH MY GOD IT'S THE ONE GUY YOU'VE WANTED TO KILL SINCE THE START AND NOW YOU GET SQUEAMISH? Killing Maverick and all those Soldiers was one thing, but now you're going to get squeamish? Ugh, movie morality at its worst: killing a named villain makes you as bad as him, but nameless mooks are a dime a dozen.

2. Wolverine loses his memories from an Adamantium bullet to the head. What? Wolverine loses his memories from an Adamantium bullet to the head. After all that, bringing down the Super-Sentinel Program (did they call it that? That's the name in the comics), defeating a walking super-weapon, Striker essentially just walks up to him and erases his mind with a pistol. Come on! At least have the telepathic character do it or something.

Hugh Jackman is a fantastic actor, and Liev Schreiber conveys a lot without words in his role as the villain, and that's the only reason every non-action scene in this movie doesn't blow. The writing has quite a few good one-liners, but you can tell it's been through several rewrites. Wolverine's wife apparently isn't Native American anymore (she's Emma Frost's sister now), but still tells him the Indian legend that inspires his codename? There's a lot of little things like that throughout the plot that make it feel like the movie was designed by committee and subjected to rewrite after rewrite. This is the kind of superhero movie we've moved past. After Spiderman 2, Watchmen, Iron Man, and Dark Knight, merely competent isn't good enough. That's the root of a lot of the ire this movie's taking, I think--it's merely an okay action film, when we've come to expect much more from superhero epics.

That last part is why, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm really miffed about this movie. Wolverine is my favorite, obviously I think he's a great character and can easily support as serious and excellent a film as Batman or Spiderman. But instead we got a forgettable, mediocre vehicle that makes it look like Wolverine's far weaker (as a character) and more shallow than he really is.

And I really wanted to like it. :C

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I saw it recently, and I wasn't really impressed. Mostly it was the small things that got to me more than anything else. Like getting Cyclops' eyebeams wrong, and adamantium bullets piercing Wolverine's skull for no real reason.

Oh well, I suppose not every film gets to be as faithful to the source as Watchmen did...
    Dr. Manhattan+tiny Rorshach Avatar by drKarling, much appreciated.
    The Deductive Adventures of Rex Kingdom, P.I. is an awful parody detective serial.

13. - Top - End - #13

I was very much not a fan of what was done to Deadpool. Very, very much not.

That aside, I thought Origins: Wolverine was the funniest X-Men parody I'd see in a while. I laughed at the parts where they were trying to be funny, and I almost laughed more at the parts where they weren't.

I suppose I couldn't take it seriously after the first five minutes. I was in tears at Young James' angry charge. I may have ruined the movie for the rest of the audience, I was laughing so hard (my bad, folks! Sorry!). But then they just kept hitting me with the... the... oh I don't even know. It was awful, I'll have to rent it when it comes out.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

As someone who's never read the comics and does not particularly know the X-Men mythos, even I was annoyed at what they did to Deadpool(?). You can't do that to Van Wilder! He was such a cool character, then they made him into some sort of Frankenstein. Blah.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    First off LoopyZebra, you win an Internets for:

The Most Lulz-ish Thread Title Ever Posted
    (By Someone Other than VT)
    In Soviet Russia, PS3 still sucks.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, I saw it.
    I may as well have just gone back in time and killed my child-self with a stick.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

My avatar is currently in mourning for his beloved Bea Arthur, so I offered to take him to see this movie in order to cheer him up.

It'll be weeks before my sword wounds heal enough for me to leave the house, by which time I fully expect Wolverine will be in gas station DVD bargain bins around the globe. So I guess I'll catch it then.

Edit:
    The "I'm a Marvel/DC" videos are one of the greatest series on all of Youtube, but that one really takes the cake. I'm off to show it to everyone I know and force them to admit they like it whether or not they have ever heard of Deadpool.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2009-05-03 at 04:25 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    So, I just saw it. And, as is becoming tradition, I will give it a brief review.
    Spoiler
    Show

Before we start here, I know very little about the X-Men or the Marvel Mythos, and I havn't seen the other X-men movies. So This review will be based entierly on what I saw on-screen. That said, this was not a bad movie. That said, it's not a great movie, but it is entertaining, and the sheer straightforwardness of it's plot has a certain elegant simplicity.

Now, Here is how I imagine the movie was planned, remember, I know nothing about Wolverine's backstory in-comic, if he has one.
    Guy A: Hey, let's make a movie backstory-ing the X-Men.
    Guy B: Okay, who should we start with?
    A: Wolverine, he's by far the most popular.
    B: But, he dosn't have much backstory. He's just a badass canadian guy with metal claws, a metal skeleton, and super-Regeneration.
    A: It's a fact that nothing is more badass than revenge. Let's get him really angry about somthing, and have him take vengence.
    B: Okay, sounds good.
    So, the first part of the movie goes like this
    1: Opening Credits with Logan and Victor engaging in abunch of fights that clearly place them in a certain war. If Hollywood is to be believed, every single american who stormed Normandy was ridiculously good looking.
    2: PEOPLE WITH NIFTY POWERS, SHINY SHINY!
    3: Logan engages in Lumberjackery, is happy. This part of the movie contains the best line ever
    "I know you want to serve you're country" "I'm Canadian"
    4: REVENGE AGAINST VICTOR, DIE DIE DIE!
    5: Okay Army Guy, victor is the bastard here.
    6: REVENGE AGAINST ARMY GUY TOO, DIE DIE DIE!
    7: Aww, nice old farmer couple.
    8: Blatant kicking and shooting of Dogs.
    9-end of movie: REVENGE! DIE DIE DIE
    5-minutes before end: AMNESIA, thus essentially rendering the entire movie pointless.

Alright, time for the sum-up

Best Part: as may be expected, Fight Scenes. All very impressive, very shiny, and very nifty. Especially with Asian Gun Guy, but Sword guy was just over-the-top, cutting bullets in half in mid-air? Are you Serious.
    Worst Part: Mute, Mind-controlled deadpool? WTF, you don't dangle "The Merc with the Mouth" in front of us, then remove the mouth, and the Mercness. It was a very impressive fight scene, and they had been dropping Cameos left and right, but those had been working with the characters. Mind you, I don't know Deadpools backstory very much, but it seemed like they could have just kept him as "Weapon 11", without dropping the Deadpool name. Especially because they gave him abunch of powers he didn't have in the one book I read that had him in it. So yeah.
    The People's Conclusion: It's not a bad film to see if you like mindless action, which I do. Despite them pulling out every Cliche in the book (Not only does he walk away from an explosion, he does so less than five minutes after riding a motorcycle out of an exploding barn) they manage to make you, while not exactly Sympathize with Logan, at least understand him. You know very much that the Bad guys are Evil and the Good Guys are, well, Angry at least. They don't really go for the "Morally questionable anti-hero" bit, which is good, that's been done to death, and with the way this movie treated other tropes, it would have mean Wolverine wearing all black and going to back alleys where he kills little kids for pickpocketing.

All-in-all, I recommend you see it. I'm a little harsh up above, but that's because I'm snarky and tired. It's well-made and well-acted, so provided you havn't been spoiled by the recent really-good superhero movies (Iron Man and The Dark Knight) you should enjoy it.
    Actually Wolverine has a much larger backstory than most other X-men. From the various old wars he was in, to the weapon X storyline, and then his time in Japan all prior to X-men. Though this does skew the actual weapon X storyline to an extent it did it pretty well.

I liked the movie for the most part. Gambit and deadpool were cast perfectly. Ryan Reynolds was the perfect pick for deadpool and his comedic style absolutely worked for the character. Also the sword guy you reffered to is in fact deadpool prior to the experimentation. Surprised you didn't notice that.

Deadpools powers by the way in the comic are enhanced speed and strength, master martial artist, master marksman, master swordsman, a healing factor better than Sabertooths or wolverines, he has a telepeportation device, and he has the ability to break the fourth wall.

My only real complaint is that Emma Frost should have been hotter and the love interest should have been less lame.
    Last edited by zeratul; 2009-05-03 at 04:54 PM.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by zeratul View Post
    Actually Wolverine has a much larger backstory than most other X-men. From the various old wars he was in, to the weapon X storyline, and then his time in Japan all prior to X-men. Though this does skew the actual weapon X storyline to an extent it did it pretty well.

I liked the movie for the most part. Gambit and deadpool were cast perfectly. Ryan Reynolds was the perfect pick for deadpool and his comedic style absolutely worked for the character. Also the sword guy you reffered to is in fact deadpool prior to the experimentation. Surprised you didn't notice that.

Deadpools powers by the way in the comic are enhanced speed and strength, master martial artist, master marksman, master swordsman, a healing factor better than Sabertooths or wolverines, he has a telepeportation device, and he has the ability to break the fourth wall.
    Well, the question is, how much of that backstory did they mention in the X-men trilogy of movies. Unless the Amnesia-bullet had no purpose whatsoever.

I had a feeling sword-guy was Deadpool before experimentation. But I havn't read nearly enough Deadpool. I need to remedy that. What sucks is that they set up adding Deadpool, and actually have him in there for awhile. They could very easily have created Weapon 11 as he is now without making him Deadpool.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I liked the movie, but I'm willing to blame this on the fact that I'm a ladback fangirl and therefore not insistent on everything being completely accurate.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

My opinions of the mockery the movie made of Deadpool aside, I find it kind of interesting that in Cable & Deadpool Issue #2 (page 12, frame 3) Deadpool says to Cable "Hey, if you looked like Ryan Renolds corssed with a shar-pei, you'd understand". That was back in June of '02. Kind of like a little forshadowing. Don't know if you'd all care, just thought I'd share my geek lore with you guys.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Good news for Deadpool fans. According to TV tropes, there is a post-credits stinger (which I hadn't heard about, so I didn't stick around for it), that makes things better. To quote Tv tropes
    The stinger than apparently changes depending on the theater. In one version its shown that Deadpool is alive, has a mouth, and shushes the audience, another stinger apparently has the original Wade Wilson show up suggesting that Weapon XI isn't the real Deadpool.
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Good news for Deadpool fans. According to TV tropes, there is a post-credits stinger (which I hadn't heard about, so I didn't stick around for it), that makes things better. To quote Tv tropes
    Only the one where he grabs the decapitated head and it shushes the audience is true. Even then after what Fox did to this movie... do you really WANT a Deadpool movie by them?

Oh oh oh, and I thought of a better answer to the title question:

"I'll look down and whisper 'no'"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WitchSlayer View Post
    Only the one where he grabs the decapitated head and it shushes the audience is true. Even then after what Fox did to this movie... do you really WANT a Deadpool movie by them?
    Yeah, good point. As much as I love 'Pool, he's kind of a hard sell as far as movies go. I'm not saying a good Deadpool movie is impossible to make, but it wouldn't be easy.

That being said, it is impossible to take a character called "The Merc With A Mouth" and do that to him unless you are intentionally being a #$%&. It's like someone just read the first paragraph of his Wikipedia entry and said "Hey, you know what would('nt) be funny?"
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Edit:
    The "I'm a Marvel/DC" videos are one of the greatest series on all of Youtube, but that one really takes the cake. I'm off to show it to everyone I know and force them to admit they like it whether or not they have ever heard of Deadpool.
    I. Fully. Concur.

This particular one was fantastic.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, good point. As much as I love 'Pool, he's kind of a hard sell as far as movies go. I'm not saying a good Deadpool movie is impossible to make, but it wouldn't be easy.

That being said, it is impossible to take a character called "The Merc With A Mouth" and do that to him unless you are intentionally being a #$%&. It's like someone just read the first paragraph of his Wikipedia entry and said "Hey, you know what would('nt) be funny?"
    I think if marvel studios gets to do it instead of Fox but they keep Ryan Reynolds it would be great. Using Ryan Reynolds and keeping the unique humor of the comic, fourth wall breaking, and all of the things that make deapool awesome would make for one brilliant Dark Comedy of a movie.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

26. - Top - End - #26

I, honestly, don't think they should make a Deadpool movie at all, he's one of the things that's just better left to comics like the Legion of Superheroes or the Great Lakes Avengers.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Edit:
    The "I'm a Marvel/DC" videos are one of the greatest series on all of Youtube,
    You sir, are wrong. They are in fact the greatest series to ever star action figures, and among the greatest non-commercially-produced videos in existence.

28. - Top - End - #28

Saw it Saturday, sorely unimpressed. Like others have said, after actually good superhero movies like Dark Knight something like this just can't be anything other than unimpressive, if not just downright bad

I first started losing interest at about the time of the toon-metal claws. They looks so cheesily fake that it was horrible. I liked the first half of the plot, but after that it was so jumpy and frantic that it was like even the movie itself just wanted it to be over.

Honestly, I almost wish that they hadn't included Deadpool or Gambit at all. If you're going to do a cameo, then just do a cameo. Don't do the 30 second teasers that this movie did. All they did was bait the fans.

Then, of course, what I thought was the biggest moment of Fridge Logic in a movie that I've seen in some time:

Spoiler
    Show
    So, Stryker, on your team you have a man that can turn a semi-auto pistol into a machine gun and can presumably hit a dime from a kilometer away with a handgun, yes? So answer me this:

Why didn't you give the Magic Memory Erasing Adamantium .45 of Wolverine Shooting to HIM?

Only thing I can figure out is that Stryker must have a "Kick the Dog" clause in his government contract.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Right, so just saw it, like others, the
    Spoiler
    Show
    weird maybe it's Wade Wilson Deadpool/Weapon XI thing, and the magic memory bullets
    disappointed me. Otherwise, it was pretty much what I expected. I did like a lot of the one liners, and Ryan Reynolds was pure gold.

Also, of the following 3 scenes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Depending on which theater the movie was shown in, one of three possible endings then appear following the credits. The first only depicts Weapon XI's hand reaching out from the rubble of the nuclear complex to touch his severed head, whereupon the head comes to life and makes a brief hushing sound before the scene fades to black; breaking the fourth wall like the Deadpool comics. The second alternate ending shows Weapon XI going to grab his head, similar to the first ending, but then a man in a black coat steps on the arm, stopping Weapon XI, and picks up the head. The camera then turns around and it is Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) who then asks "What the hell are you supposed to be?" The third alternate scene shows Wolverine drinking at a bar in Japan. The female bartender asks if he is drinking to forget; Wolverine replies that he's drinking to remember.
    , I only saw the third and am able to confirm its existence. I'd really like to have seen one of the others. Especially the second (of the list I posted).
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

30. - Top - End - #30

Didn't check all of the previous posts so I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but did anyone else notice this?

When Wolverine slices through the metal with the giant 'X', the center part of the X stayed firmly in place? I mean, he slices one way with the three claws, and the other way with the three claws. The metal should have fallen out of the wall where the two claw marks intersected.

They spent so much time on the special effects that they didn't notice the fundamental laws of gravity they were breaking.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden