New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Iron Chef... Appetizer Edition! (e6)

Welcome, contestants, judges, and guests to Iron Chef... EPIC 6. Here in Optimization Colosseum, contestants will endeavor to create an optimized and flavorful character using a specified D&D 3.5 prestige class as a "Secret Ingredient". D&D 3.5 BASE CLASS as the "secret ingredient"

Contestants: You will need to present your build at at least one of the following points: 3rd level, 6th level, after 5 feats, after 10 feats, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Menu: For most challenges, the "special ingredient" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other books--for example, the XPH.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
    If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in elegance and/or power.

Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field.

Cooking Time: Contestants will have until 11:59pm CUT on Saturday, May 7th 2011 to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, Amechra. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of Secret Ingredient, which must make up half the build, at least.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue. However, this is e6, so unless you want to be smacked, I advise a lack of characters with spells of levels higher than 3. Just saying.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic loss of one point per flaw in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points.

I am going to have to ask the contestants to PM me about any disagreement with the judges. Under no circumstances is a contestant to defend themselves inside the thread, since it breaks anonymity.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries!

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    NAME OF ENTRY
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

3rd|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

4th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

5th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

6th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    [/table], along with a list of the first 10 bonus feats you are taking after you complete your 6th level.

Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    [b]NAME OF ENTRY[/b]
    {table=head][b]Level[/b]|[B]Class[/B]|[b]Base Attack<br>Bonus[/b]|[b]Fort Save[/b]|[b]Ref Save[/b]|[b]Will Save[/b]|[B]Skills[/B]|[B]Feats[/B]|[b]Class Features[/b]

1st|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

3rd|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

4th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

5th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

6th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities
    [/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells per day/Spells Known
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd

1st|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-[/table]

Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    [SPOILER][b]Spells per day/Spells Known[/b]
    {table=head][b]Level[/b]|[b]0lvl[/b]|[b]1st[/b]|[b]2nd[/b]|[b]3rd[/b]

1st|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-[/table]

For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.
    Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned; we're producing a meal, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for about 5 judges and as many contestants as feel like playing!

This week's special ingredient is:
    Complete Psionic's's Divine Mind
    We will have trophies for 1st through 3rd places, as well as a special trophy for honorable mention. The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build. Judges, contestants and guests alike are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM.

Allez optimiser!

Judges

Contestants

The Builds

Past Competitions

Iron Chef I: Entropomancer
    Iron Chef II: Psibond Agent
    Iron Chef III: Cancer Mage
    Iron Chef IV: Stonelord
    Iron Chef V: War Chanter
    Iron Chef VI: Master of Masks
    Iron Chef VII: Green Star Adept
    Iron Chef VIII: Pyrokineticist
    Iron Chef IX: Animal Lord
    Iron Chef X: Mythic Exemplar
    Iron Chef XI: Blade Bravo
    Iron Chef XII: War Mind
    Iron Chef XIII: Vigilante
    Iron Chef XIV: Seeker of the Song
    Iron Chef XV: Drunken Master
    Iron Chef XVI: Assassin
    Iron Chef XVII: Ardent Dilettante
    Iron Chef XVIII: Unseelie Dark Hunter
    Iron Chef XIX: Dread Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef... Appetizer Edition! (e6)

I have half a thought for how to approach this. I'll try entering this time around.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I may very well have to try this. I actually LIKE the Divine Mind, crappy as it is.

EDIT: In the sources, you never said anything about un-updated 3.0 - what's the verdict on that? Or is it the same as in regular ICO?
    Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2011-04-27 at 08:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the Name.
    I said I'd join a base class IC, but...
    Unless I can find that class free online somewhere (highly unlikely, I think WotC only let a couple base classes out), I can't join.

Cool, though. If I could join, I most definitely would.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    I like the Name.
    I said I'd join a base class IC, but...
    Unless I can find that class free online somewhere (highly unlikely, I think WotC only let a couple base classes out), I can't join.

Cool, though. If I could join, I most definitely would.
    I'd say that you could probably reconstruct it just by looking around and asking about specifics... then I remembered the specific aura effects that are Divine Mind EXCLUSIVE (they're literally only printed in the class description). But they're very much psionic Paladins, up to and including Divine Grace.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Good hell, you're actually doing this.

You know, I once played a Divine Mind as an NPC. He was part of a group of enemies who all had aura-style buffs (the idea is that they would work really well as a team, but if the PCs could splinter the group or sufficiently focus fire to make a couple of them drop, they'd be much easier to kill). He existed for a single encounter. I got bored with him before all was said and done, and no, I didn't get bored with the other NPCs in that group, even though few of them could do terribly much more than he could.

I can promise that I will be watching this with interest. I can promise nothing else.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The "after 10 feats" benchmark is effectively +2 levels and so has level 7 WBL to distribute, right? Or should we pretty much be ignoring gear?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Un-updated 3.0 is allowed. And we tend to ignore gear.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

In like Flynn...as a competitor for now. Are we doing it where you get UoSI points for taking all 6 levels in the SI, or just that you have to use 3 levels?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I would say that 3 gets you about a midpoint score, with more or better use of the features giving more points; the 3 level minimum is to prevent going Divine Mind 1/Tier 1 class 5, or some such.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2011-04-28 at 11:07 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll put myself in as a competitor, at least for the time being. Biggest question is whether I'll have the time to put together a build or not, but I'll certainly try.

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    you're like a male Felicia Day
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Witch doctors might tell you "ooh ee ooh ah ah ting tang wallawalla bing bang", but they give you that for everything, so most of us consider it a ridiculous scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    When you're flopping about uncertainly like a Magikarp that just got sent in against a level 60 Venusaur, just go back to the basics.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Crap, guys. Crap. I thought of a build. It's a terrible build. I mean, a really terrible build. One might even go so far as to call it delightfully terrible, assuming that not too much changes between my current idea and the final product.

If (and that's a big if) I can bludgeon it into a readable format by the due date without impacting my judging duties in the main Iron Chef contest . . . I'll enter. We shall see if this actually happens.

Hmm. It looks like I have to dive into FR or perhaps Eberron to get a deity with the domains mantles I want. What's the best place to briefly read up on FR/Eberron deity fluff? I've never been able to make myself care about the Eight Hundred Myriad Gods on the High Plain of Heaven that FR seems to have. I know slightly more about Eberron, but I don't really want to spend too much time looking at deities when I could be working on the build.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-04-28 at 09:15 PM.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Crap, guys. Crap. I thought of a build. It's a terrible build. I mean, a really terrible build. One might even go so far as to call it delightfully terrible, assuming that not too much changes between my current idea and the final product.

If (and that's a big if) I can bludgeon it into a readable format by the due date without impacting my judging duties in the main Iron Chef contest . . . I'll enter. We shall see if this actually happens.

Hmm. It looks like I have to dive into FR or perhaps Eberron to get a deity with the domains mantles I want. What's the best place to briefly read up on FR/Eberron deity fluff? I've never been able to make myself care about the Eight Hundred Myriad Gods on the High Plain of Heaven that FR seems to have. I know slightly more about Eberron, but I don't really want to spend too much time looking at deities when I could be working on the build.
    Well, Wikipedia's not too bad for DnD deities. Also, need be, you can ask me - I've pretty much memorised Faiths of Eberron and Faiths and Pantheons (the major 'religious' books of FR and Eberron).

I'm kind of a sucker for divine fluff, what can I say?

EDIT: Also, my build? Craptastic. It's probably at least as bad as yours (we shall have to compare after, if your idea does not change). I have no idea how it'll score, but I'll be damned if I wouldn't want to play it. It actually looks fun.
    Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2011-04-29 at 01:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

So, do we have any judges?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, I just came up with a nice little build (of course, the build kind of has to be little...).

I hope someone decides to be a judge soon.

16. - Top - End - #16

HalflingPirate

I'll judge this.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in this one for sure. My build's about 75% done or so. I keep giggling while I'm writing it. That's probably both a bad sign and an awesome sign. Definitely not a good sign, though.

So, who's gonna judge this? You're not gonna let Mr. dextercorvia do this all by his lonesome, are you? Come on, it'll be easy!

18. - Top - End - #18

HalflingPirate

A little late, but here are my criteria, such as they are.

I should mention that I'm not a big fan of many of the E6 specific feats. Prestige feats especially, I find to be poorly balanced. Taking too many will result in a hit in elegance. Other than that, make sure it is legal, I hit illegal builds in elegance and power. UoSI is a double whammy, whatever you take has to enhance the SI, without making me wonder why you didn't take X instead of the SI.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd judge, but I'm chairman, and I would probably get accusations of bias due to my knowledge of who made what build...

Know any good judges I could ask?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. I've encountered a setback . . . not so much in the build itself, just in my writeup thereof. The deadline's Saturday evening, right? If so, it shouldn't be a problem. If it's earlier? Well, I'll try. I've come this far. I'll just have to find an extra hour in my schedule somewhere.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'll judge. I've been taking a break from judging ICO since I haven't been familiar with some of the recent SI's, but I am familiar with this class.

I'll give my criteria this afternoon.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Build submitted.

I look forward to seeing what everyone else came up with.

23. - Top - End - #23

Ah, yes, my two favorite words:

Build. Submitted.

Yesterday, really, but I didn't get a chance to post. I'm working on my second submission now; we'll see if it's worth anything.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

I'll be judging this, for great justice.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    I'll be judging this, for great justice.
    This makes me happy inside.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be glad to judge this as well, bringing the count to a quartet.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there a rule against the chairman submitting a build? Potentially as a "this is what I was thinking of", which wouldn't be scored?

Because I feel like doing this, and don't want to be yelled at.

28. - Top - End - #28

HalflingPirate

I'm no veteran, but I wouldn't have a problem with it, so long as it isn't being judged. You might want to wait until the results are tallied, so that there is no possibility or appearance of it affecting the judging.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Shall do. I won't post it if I see someones build that's like mine, though.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I don't really see a problem with the chairman submitting a build. The only time a conflict of interest could come up is when disputes are being resolved, and I can't see anyone being petty enough not to pass on valid concerns to the judges anonymously.